Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 06-01-2006, 01:20 AM   #1
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Default AUTOMETER Gauges on AU

Just wondering if anyone has any autometer gauges installed in there AU as I am thinjking of getting some as I 'm not real keen on the accuracy of the factory gauges.

PICS WOULD BE GREAT

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #2
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You can go Jap Styles and put them on the A-Pillar.

Otherwise, maybe in front of the Gear Knob.
Old 06-01-2006, 10:00 PM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Or get the Ford Motorsport ones ... I saw them in the Ford Performance mag .... would look much better in the Ford.

I was going to get a couple of Autometer gauges (Volts & Oil Pressure) ... but saw the Ford Motorsport Gauges (has the decals in them as well) .... and they look a hell of a lot better IMHO.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 02:17 AM   #4
HotRod
Boost is only option

as for accuracy my Au has a autometer boost guage and it reads 2 psi higher than a chassie dyno and in the cab is a eboost controller and its reads the same as a dyno so when eboost is reading 10 psi the autometter mechanical gauge is reading 12psi
but hey they look sharp!!
HotRod
Old 07-01-2006, 03:18 AM   #5
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

i'm modding the radio surround with a chopped-up second hand unit- I have a single-din Head Unit and am putting in the a/c control surrounds just below it- plastic welding it all together and fibreglass reinforced.

the idea (it's hard to describe) is you will have the three a/c control dials up top, the single din Head unit just below and a repeated set of three dials below the h/u where three 2" gauges can be housed- it will look awesome I reckon- Just waiting to get my car back befor I can take it on.

personaly I hate gauges- but I do want to keep a keener eye on the important stuff now i've poured soem coin into the engine.......
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 03:25 AM   #6
KOUPE76
OLD SKOOL BABY

Sounds good, can't wait to see pics in progress and the end results. :evil3:
I'm guessing you will put 3 gauges, what type?

1976 XB GS COUPE (waiting to start the rebuild)
KOUPE76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2006, 04:24 AM   #7
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUPRNT XR8
Sounds good, can't wait to see pics in progress and the end results. :evil3:
I'm guessing you will put 3 gauges, what type?
aux (accurate) oil pressure or temperature (not sure yet)- a cylinder head temperature gauge (actually ANY better temp indicator than having a sender in the header tank- what a pox idea) and an air fuel ratio gauge- either stewart warner, autometer or the Ford racing ones...

the obvious choice would be Ford racing but I prefer a black backgroung and brused silver bezel to blend in better.

the gauges will sit more "on" the recesses rateher than house in them- but that would be better for the visibility anyway- and would look sensational
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 04:08 AM   #8
Steve_T

FYI, unless the 5.6 motor was different to the 5.0, the ECT sensor is mounted in the top of the heater pipe where it connects to the inlet manifold on top (just near your coil packs) - the sensor in the resevoir tank is coolant level - not temp.

If you have a single DIN head unit and a spare DIN space, Car Toys in SA sell a steel plate which fits into a single DIN slot and has mounting holes for three gauges in it which are all angled slightly toward the driver - available in black or carbon finish, which I will probably look at getting at some point for mine.
Steve_T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 10:52 AM   #9
justa6
justa6

Default gauges

Mine's really easy to see, and having it there you can't see it from the outside. a littlt more stealth you know.

btw jimte50 and blueprint xr8 i don't know how many blueprint au were made but bloody hell you picked up a winner

Last edited by justa6; 08-01-2006 at 10:57 AM.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2006, 11:06 AM   #10
justa6
justa6

Default accuracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRod
as for accuracy my Au has a autometer boost guage and it reads 2 psi higher than a chassie dyno and in the cab is a eboost controller and its reads the same as a dyno so when eboost is reading 10 psi the autometter mechanical gauge is reading 12psi
but hey they look sharp!!
HotRod
trying not to steal the thread but have a look were they got the boost line running from, it sound's like it might be on the turbo side and everything else could be from the manifold side, with your intercooler loosing the 2psi. you know what i mean.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post