Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-06-2013, 04:01 PM   #1
Billydean
White Rock

Default Falcon to fly on Mustang platform

I know this has been covered, but this is a very interesting article from 2010.

"Rumours of a end to the Falcon's run in Australia, and perhaps even an end to local production by Ford, were categorically denied yesterday in Detroit by the president of Ford Australia, Marin Burela.

"No company that was going to pull out of Australia would be spending $230 million on bringing the world's best powertrain technology to Australia for the Falcon,""

Falcon to fly on Mustang platform

Billydean is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #2
Trump
bitch lasagne

Default Re: Falcon to fly on Mustang platform

Check the date of that article son.
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
Billydean
White Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
Check the date of that article son.
Check my post .... SON!
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billydean View Post
Check my post .... SON!
My bad. Carry on
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 04:31 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

A lot can change in 2-3 years. Then again, decent info on the next Mustang platform is hard to come by so I guess we won't really know what similarities there are (or not) until we can eyeball it.

But I'm wondering if they funneled some of that $230 Million from the Ecoboost development into the 2014 Falcon on the sly?

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 04:33 PM   #6
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

I don't find anything interesting about what was said in 2010, obviously Detroit hadn't made any firm decisions regarding the future of Ford Australia, so Burela was just giving the media something positive to say about Ford. I'm sure he knew it was looking grim long term, but you don't tell the media that.

Also look at what he said- "The Falcon's changeover is due to take place at the end of 2014, or early in 2015. Our decisions . . . for Falcon don't have to be made until we get through to the middle of 2011".

It all came together 3 years later.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Also look at what he said- "The Falcon's changeover is due to take place at the end of 2014, or early in 2015. Our decisions . . . for Falcon don't have to be made until we get through to the middle of 2011".

It all came together 3 years later.
Well, he was right in that the Falcon was supposed to be game over in 2014, until lobbying put the 2014 update on the table. It's just unfortunate that between then and now, sales have absolutely tanked.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Old 17-06-2013, 04:45 PM   #8
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Looking back, I don't understand why they put such a huge investment into the EcoBoost Falcon yet never advertised it. They could have ditched the 4 cyl program, spent a tenth of its budget on marketing the existing Falcon range and would have picked up more sales than they did. It seems like Marin actually wanted Falcon to succeed but they went about it the wrong way.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 04:57 PM   #9
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The thing people have to understand is that the Mustang is not a two door Falcon,
The unique engine set back, two door coupe lines necessitates that the rear seat
be positioned in between the rear wheel wells, not forward of them like the Falcon.
This results in serious packaging changes to not only the rear hip framing but also to
fuel tank, suspension and pick up points, the whole layout of the car is basically
different enough from the Falcon to require a unique frame but sure both cars could
share a lot of engineering from the B pillar forward but still, there would need to be
significant changes.

I went through this exercise with someone attached with the original 2004 S197 Mustang
project, the BA Falcon was considered right from the start but the amount of tear up
and redo required made a clean sheet approach seem far more logical and
unrestrained.

What was pointed out is that it's much easier to develop a Mustang first as it bears
most of the costs and sets the compactness of design required for packaging
that can be expanded to accommodate a four door sedan. So in essence the idea
would be to design the coupe first, cover restrictions and then expand to the sedan...

None of the above should be construed as evidence that Ford is considering a RWD sedans.

Last edited by jpd80; 17-06-2013 at 05:08 PM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 05:02 PM   #10
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Looking back, I don't understand why they put such a huge investment into the EcoBoost Falcon yet never advertised it. They could have ditched the 4 cyl program, spent a tenth of its budget on marketing the existing Falcon range and would have picked up more sales than they did. It seems like Marin actually wanted Falcon to succeed but they went about it the wrong way.
I think the 4 cylinder Falcon only got the go ahead as it was the test bed for the RWD application for the Stang. Perfect long term test. Not much to do with saving the Falcon. I dont think they ever cared how many it would sell.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
I think the 4 cylinder Falcon only got the go ahead as it was the test bed for the RWD application for the Stang. Perfect long term test. Not much to do with saving the Falcon. I dont think they ever cared how many it would sell.
That's how I've looked at it for ages as well. But I'm still wondering how they could spend the full $230 million on just dropping a 4 pot into the car. Yes you could argue it was for the TDCI Territory as well, but a lot of that work had been done during Gorman's reign.

Old 17-06-2013, 05:33 PM   #12
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In fairness, the $230 million covered SZ and FGII upgrades as well as TDCI V6 engine, Ecoboost I-4 and EcoLPI.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
stang65
FPRJET

really title reads like something out of a Tabloid and gives false hope......
Old 17-06-2013, 07:39 PM   #14
malazn mafia
Boss 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
The thing people have to understand is that the Mustang is not a two door Falcon,
The unique engine set back, two door coupe lines necessitates that the rear seat
be positioned in between the rear wheel wells, not forward of them like the Falcon.
This results in serious packaging changes to not only the rear hip framing but also to
fuel tank, suspension and pick up points, the whole layout of the car is basically
different enough from the Falcon to require a unique frame but sure both cars could
share a lot of engineering from the B pillar forward but still, there would need to be
significant changes.

I went through this exercise with someone attached with the original 2004 S197 Mustang
project, the BA Falcon was considered right from the start but the amount of tear up
and redo required made a clean sheet approach seem far more logical and
unrestrained.

What was pointed out is that it's much easier to develop a Mustang first as it bears
most of the costs and sets the compactness of design required for packaging
that can be expanded to accommodate a four door sedan. So in essence the idea
would be to design the coupe first, cover restrictions and then expand to the sedan...

None of the above should be construed as evidence that Ford is considering a RWD sedans.
What? The yanks looked at the BA falcon as a donor car for the Stang, or am i reading it wrong? But yes the two cars are chalk and cheese, even just looking at photos. What parts did XK falcon share with the then-current mustang?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 07:50 PM   #15
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

They looked at our IRS for SN197 Mustang.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 09:30 PM   #16
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suspect, looking back, that cheap air fares was a significant nail in the domestic only Falcon.
With nearly 90% of us living in/near the major capital cities, a 'town' car was sufficient and cheap packaged fly/drive for hols.

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 09:34 PM   #17
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously?
It isn't bad enough all the drivel that flows thorugh here from so-called motoring journalists, you have dig up more of their tripe from 3 years ago?
Old 17-06-2013, 09:36 PM   #18
ryeman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Seriously?
It isn't bad enough all the drivel that flows thorugh here from so-called motoring journalists, you have dig up more of their tripe from 3 years ago?
^^^^being in denial is so sad

Facts or the twitterverse, your choice!

M3SR+ .......MG ZS EV
ryeman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #19
Billydean
White Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Seriously?
Did someone force you to read it, then force you to comment?

Seriously, I sometimes wonder where you people get off, people want to comment, if you don't, go post in another thread.
Old 17-06-2013, 11:34 PM   #20
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by malazn mafia View Post
What? The yanks looked at the BA falcon as a donor car for the Stang, or am i reading it wrong? But yes the two cars are chalk and cheese, even just looking at photos. What parts did XK falcon share with the then-current mustang?
The "control blade" IRS that was pioneered in the BA Falcon and has been refined in the FG is going into the next gen Mustang. Ford America engineers felt it was very important for the Mustang to maintain its heritage of straight line speed it had always enjoyed with a live rear axle, but knew that for the car to be accepted on the world stage, like they plan to do with the next update, it would have to handle better than it has in the past. Hence, Ford Australia were the only outpost that had experience with low cost, high horsepower RWD cars, and so engineers evaluated BF XR8's and apparently liked it. The rest is history.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Gobes32 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2013, 11:37 PM   #21
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobes32 View Post
The "control blade" IRS that was pioneered in the BA Falcon and has been refined in the FG is going into the next gen Mustang. Ford America engineers felt it was very important for the Mustang to maintain its heritage of straight line speed it had always enjoyed with a live rear axle, but knew that for the car to be accepted on the world stage, like they plan to do with the next update, it would have to handle better than it has in the past. Hence, Ford Australia were the only outpost that had experience with low cost, high horsepower RWD cars, and so engineers evaluated BF XR8's and apparently liked it. The rest is history.
Really?
Old 17-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #22
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
The pics of the Mustang's IRS look nothing like a CB IRS unit. And then there's the alloy control arms...

Old 17-06-2013, 11:50 PM   #23
1TUFFUTE
Banned

forgive my ignorance...but is there a 4 door mustang.....I didn't think so but wasn't certain?
Wonder how keen ford would be at adapting some of the great falcon dynamics, conceptions and ideals and look at making a 4 door mustang.
I mean there already moving into do anything you like territory with mustang by adding smaller engines and so on...so maybe who knows.
1TUFFUTE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 08:24 AM   #24
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I remember when Mullaly came to Australia to sample the FG, he didn't really give 2 ****s, just made some silly remark about "You could get a speeding ticket quite easily in this thing" ( G6ET) . With that kind of apathy at the top, no wonder it never got a look in.
FalconXV is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #25
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
The pics of the Mustang's IRS look nothing like a CB IRS unit. And then there's the alloy control arms...
Who knows how much it has changed since they evaluated a BF, that was 6 years ago now. Almost a lifetime in car development cycles.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:11 AM   #26
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The fact is, up until now, we were the only Ford business that was making high HP RWD cars with a IRS. The Falcon may not be the fastest, best handling car in the world, but you cannot deny engineers have done a lot with what little money flows through here..........
Old 18-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #27
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a shame GM had the foresight to spawn a pony car off one of their sedan platforms, and look how quickly it overtook Mustang in sales. If Ford had people like Lutz and Reuss, perhaps things would have turned out differently.
Oh well, we have Aussies working on the next Stang, which is something. I wonder if it's time to bring out a next gen IRS system, Control Blade has been out since 1998.
Old 18-06-2013, 11:37 AM   #28
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconXV View Post
What a shame GM had the foresight to spawn a pony car off one of their sedan platforms, and look how quickly it overtook Mustang in sales. If Ford had people like Lutz and Reuss, perhaps things would have turned out differently.
Oh well, we have Aussies working on the next Stang, which is something. I wonder if it's time to bring out a next gen IRS system, Control Blade has been out since 1998.
Pity the next Camaro is going to ditch the Zeta sedan platform then.

Old 18-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #29
FalconXV
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Pity the next Camaro is going to ditch the Zeta sedan platform then.
Not to Holden's detriment, they'll still be building cars here on a global platform.
Old 18-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #30
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

Quote:
The fact is, up until now, we were the only Ford business that was making high HP RWD cars with a IRS. The Falcon may not be the fastest, best handling car in the world, but you cannot deny engineers have done a lot with what little money flows through here..........
They have had other RWD IRS vehicles though, such as the DEW98 program which influenced both the AU IRS and SN95 Mustang IRS.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post