Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-07-2023, 01:58 PM   #31
Itsme
Experienced Member

Default Re: Banks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
So you are completely oblivious to the facts as I have written. Facts as written by a business owner who does all the admin for that business and in addition works in a business that has a large cash revenue component and watches how onerous looking after the cash side is.

You believe that cash is cheaper for business. I'm telling you for a vast large majority of businesses, it isn't. It's more expensive to handle cash than simple use cards and pay a transaction fee.

Thats not swallowing BS. It's simply realistic facts.

I don't give toss what businesses say, they just pass on the costs to the customers like they always do, it us the public who gets screwed over.
Again, you are falling to the BS of banks, big business and govco, take your blinkers off and see what is really happening.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 02:14 PM   #32
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
No matter your personal preference, I'm sure there are pros and cons with both. Go with whatever works for you. I just wanted to post that I don't use cash. There have been very few times where I've not been able to make payment with a card or via funds transfer since I essentially went cashless about 5 years ago.

The biggest bonus for me is I don't have to lug a whopping big wallet around like my old man taught me to do as a young lad. It took a while to adjust, but I really don't miss cash at all.

I do carry $10 on me for those rare occasions where electronic payments are not accepted.
Fair call, each to their own.
Don't get me wrong I use cards at my discretion when I choose to do so, but I hate it when corporations and governments force their whims and ways on you.
They always start off saying there is benefits and no added costs but change the rules down the road.
Banks are the biggest hypocrites in society, and yet people swallow their BS.

PS: I carry some cash, but no I don't have a big bulging wallet like I use to.
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 03:41 PM   #33
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No matter your personal preference, I'm sure there are pros and cons with both. Go with whatever works for you.
100%. Cashless transaction is efficient, but you pay a small fee for it. That goes with anything really, you want speed and efficiency, it doesn't come for free. Imagine if everyone was still rummaging through their paper notes and coins at the checkouts, or at the service station, or when they hopped on a bus or a train.....

And for those who think cashless is some form of ultimate gov / NWO control, holding cash will do SFA. They will just ultimately outlaw it and it'll become useless. Better to start buying up physical gold and silver, and hope retailers will accept them for goods and services, under the table.

I use about 70% card, 30% cash.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 09-07-2023 at 03:48 PM.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2023, 04:05 PM   #34
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Don't mind me, I'm subscribing to this thread and waiting for someone (other than me) who will bring up the topic of CBDC's and its blockchain ability. Lots here are for digital currency, only to allow authorities to then be able to control HOW you spend and WHAT you spend it on based on your behavior online and in public.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2023, 04:08 PM   #35
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970XW351 View Post
It's funny, a couple of my mates are firmly anti cash and think I'm bonkers for being the opposite.

We went to Singapore for a few days earlier in the year and who was Johnny on the spot to pay our way out when there were no card facilities in a few of the more remote areas?

I don't think it changed their view at all but the irony was not lost on me.
Lol sucker. The good old "I don't have any cash on me" excuse.

I was sent to hk for work a few years ago. Company decided to give me a company card rather than per diem into my account. Meant I had to go to all the fancy restaurants and pay triple as the street hawker style places only took cash!

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 09-07-2023, 04:32 PM   #36
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

At the end of the day, when the banks have an "outage", which we are seeing more of in the last few years, I can still pay for the meal I just ate, or the fuel I just filled my tank with, or any other situation I may find myself in when the cashless system does not work.

Cash is King!
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 04:49 PM   #37
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Lol sucker. The good old "I don't have any cash on me" excuse
All good, I just made sure to order extra when their cards were useable... Like at Raffle's Long Bar.
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 06:50 PM   #38
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
100%. Cashless transaction is efficient, but you pay a small fee for it. That goes with anything really, you want speed and efficiency, it doesn't come for free. Imagine if everyone was still rummaging through their paper notes and coins at the checkouts, or at the service station, or when they hopped on a bus or a train.....

And for those who think cashless is some form of ultimate gov / NWO control, holding cash will do SFA. They will just ultimately outlaw it and it'll become useless. Better to start buying up physical gold and silver, and hope retailers will accept them for goods and services, under the table.

I use about 70% card, 30% cash.
Bugger all difference time wise paying by cash or card at the check outs, if any eftpos can be slower, plenty of times there are glitches when your card wont work straight away.
Cash will never be made redundant, you are deluding yourself.

Cheers
Old 09-07-2023, 07:00 PM   #39
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Bugger all difference time wise paying by cash or card at the check outs, if any eftpos can be slower, plenty of times there are glitches when your card wont work straight away.
Cash will never be made redundant, you are deluding yourself.

Cheers
Have you seen what happens when you offer cash to a sales person under about 30, and expect them to give you change? It takes an eternity, as their maths skills generally don't allow them to calculate in their head the amount of change needed to be given.

I'm not arguing the time of processing cash v electronic, just an observation of the difficulty the younger generation seem to have handling cash these days.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2023, 07:21 PM   #40
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
At the end of the day, when the banks have an "outage", which we are seeing more of in the last few years, I can still pay for the meal I just ate, or the fuel I just filled my tank with, or any other situation I may find myself in when the cashless system does not work.

Cash is King!
Prepper alert...

If the systems are down, why would there be anybody serving "meals", "fuel", etc.?

FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 07:50 PM   #41
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Have you seen what happens when you offer cash to a sales person under about 30, and expect them to give you change? It takes an eternity, as their maths skills generally don't allow them to calculate in their head the amount of change needed to be given.

I'm not arguing the time of processing cash v electronic, just an observation of the difficulty the younger generation seem to have handling cash these days.
I won't argue that one with the calculation, but you would think it would be easier for them as most cashier registers do the math's for them.

Only matter of time when AI takes over and we all will be made redundant.
2 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 07:55 PM   #42
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Prepper alert...

If the systems are down, why would there be anybody serving "meals", "fuel", etc.?

Ummm no prepping here, in my post it states
Quote:
when the banks have an "outage"
We are not talking power failures here, just like last week when you could not access your money because the bank was having issues, the shop I was at was still functioning normally, it was the customers that could not pay cashless for items they knew they had money for in the bank.

No need to worry though, I was fine , I even paid for the the milk the lady in front of me had , see this is where Cash is King, no effect to my day.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-07-2023, 08:22 PM   #43
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

…Maybe the fellow who makes hinge pin kits for the XB coupés only takes cash? :p
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2023, 09:31 PM   #44
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

bigger question - why isn't banking free? in the UK we never paid a penny for normal banking services so was shocked when we came over here in 2006 so find out how expensive it is to bank. There's a charge for everything! I know the cash flow is less because of the lower population, but it still doesn't make sense, especially going back to the original post here - less costs for the banks going cashless, but they still charge us just as much!

<checks under matress for cash>

[/rant]
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2023, 09:54 PM   #45
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
bigger question - why isn't banking free? in the UK we never paid a penny for normal banking services so was shocked when we came over here in 2006 so find out how expensive it is to bank. There's a charge for everything! I know the cash flow is less because of the lower population, but it still doesn't make sense, especially going back to the original post here - less costs for the banks going cashless, but they still charge us just as much!

[/rant]
You can get no frills fee free accounts. You also used to have to pay a fee for ATM withdrawals unless you withdrew from your bank's ATM, but they scrapped that a while ago and allowed the major banks to share each other's ATMs. But I've now noticed some "3rd party" ATMs popping up that are charging a fee, unless you withdraw from a bank that they are affiliated with. Basically going back to the old days by stealth.

As for card fees, I think its VISA and Mastercard who are charging the fees, rather than the banks? I think the banks charge the retailers for leasing the EFTPOS machines, which I guess the retailer can pass on to consumers. Have noticed a lot of retailers now asking if you want to "insert" rather than "tap". If you insert the card, select EFTPOS (rather than Visa/mastercard), punch in your PIN, you can avoid the few cents of fees.

EDIT: Yep, its the card issuers that set the base rates. Some retailers will add their own buffer on top, which is sneaky. Not sure what the banks get apart from the equipment leasing fee.

https://www.visa.com.au/about-visa/interchange.html

Oh and to answer your question on why banks can charge fees here......because consumers don't bitch and moan as much as they probably should.

Rides (past and present)

Last edited by T3rminator; 09-07-2023 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-07-2023, 10:31 PM   #46
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post

[/rant]
Now you know why I'm dirty on the banks, some here are too young to know the good old days where you got service and not charged for basic services, now these days the banks screw you in all directions for their increased profit margins at the expense of customers.
Funny thing is the sheeple accept it.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:56 PM   #47
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
some here are too young to know the good old days where you got service and not charged for basic services
You mean the gold old days when you avoided every second Tuesday and Thursday because the line was around the block with pensioners and dole recipients wanting to deposit their cheque. Which then turned into cashing out their payment once they started to EFT it. Or you had to wait in line for an hour to get $20 out because the only way to do it was in person with your passbook. Or 2 hour wait just to confirm your balance and if that cheque you were sent had cleared.

My father is both a business owner with business accounts and a pensioner. The only time he has stepped inside a bank over the past 10 years is to sign documents after Mum died certifying her death and changes to the accounts they shared via her estate. In the majority of those 10 years he has never paid a cent in banking fees in any of his accounts. If he has cash to deposit its done at an ATM at his convenience or through is AusPost branch.

When Mum was alive, in the preceding 7 to 8 years, she visited a bank maybe 1 or 2 times a year and that was to only deposit cheques.

Have you ever considered that the way things are now is a following of the will of the people. People don't need or want the "good old days" because of how painful and time consuming they are. They have embraced the new technologies and instantaneous electronic services offered because they are simple and efficient for time poor people. And like all good organisation they are following the path of the users.

If people didn't want what we have now, then it wouldn't exist. It would have failed shortly after inception.

Quote:
Now you know why I'm dirty on the banks, some here are too young to know the good old days where you got service and not charged for basic services, now these days the banks screw you in all directions for their increased profit margins at the expense of customers.
Funny thing is the sheeple accept it.
Because some of us "sheeple" recognise the need for it.

Banks make profits, but they don't keep them. The profits all go to shareholders.

Who are the shareholders??? They are you, me, your work mates, your neighbour, your brother, sister, whatever other family member and their dogs...

How??? Through their/our super funds. Our retirements are heavily invested in shares and dividends from these large corporation you so hate.

People want to retire comfortably with a squillion $$$ in the bank and not just have to rely on the pension. The only way this can be done is with your super fund returning 10% a year for the next 40 years.

As distasteful as it might be, the only way to make this happen is for banks and large corporations to make mega profits, keep the dividend's rolling in and the share prices up. Our retirement wealth is heavily linked to the performance of these companies and WE actually demand they keep on doing as they have been.

Or is that another government conspiracy? Or don't you have a super fund either?

Thats OK... I'll save you the stock reply.

Quote:
Again, you are falling to the BS of banks, big business and govco, take your blinkers off and see what is really happening.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-07-2023, 11:59 PM   #48
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You mean the gold old days when you avoided every second Tuesday and Thursday because the line was around the block with pensioners and dole recipients wanting to deposit their cheque. Which then turned into cashing out their payment once they started to EFT it. Or you had to wait in line for an hour to get $20 out because the only way to do it was in person with your passbook. Or 2 hour wait just to confirm your balance and if that cheque you were sent had cleared.

My father is both a business owner with business accounts and a pensioner. The only time he has stepped inside a bank over the past 10 years is to sign documents after Mum died certifying her death and changes to the accounts they shared via her estate. In the majority of those 10 years he has never paid a cent in banking fees in any of his accounts. If he has cash to deposit its done at an ATM at his convenience or through is AusPost branch.

When Mum was alive, in the preceding 7 to 8 years, she visited a bank maybe 1 or 2 times a year and that was to only deposit cheques.

Have you ever considered that the way things are now is a following of the will of the people. People don't need or want the "good old days" because of how painful and time consuming they are. They have embraced the new technologies and instantaneous electronic services offered because they are simple and efficient for time poor people. And like all good organisation they are following the path of the users.

If people didn't want what we have now, then it wouldn't exist. It would have failed shortly after inception.

Because some of us "sheeple" recognise the need for it.

Banks make profits, but they don't keep them. The profits all go to shareholders.

Who are the shareholders??? They are you, me, your work mates, your neighbour, your brother, sister, whatever other family member and their dogs...

How??? Through their/our super funds. Our retirements are heavily invested in shares and dividends from these large corporation you so hate.

People want to retire comfortably with a squillion $$$ in the bank and not just have to rely on the pension. The only way this can be done is with your super fund returning 10% a year for the next 40 years.

As distasteful as it might be, the only way to make this happen is for banks and large corporations to make mega profits, keep the dividend's rolling in and the share prices up. Our retirement wealth is heavily linked to the performance of these companies and WE actually demand they keep on doing as they have been.

Or is that another government conspiracy? Or don't you have a super fund either?

Thats OK... I'll save you the stock reply.
Keep swallowing the BS
Cheers
Old 10-07-2023, 12:01 AM   #49
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Keep swallowing the BS
Cheers
As I thought.

P.S. It would be nice of you to confirm or deny if you are a super fund holder who exponentially growing wealth off the back of thes mega profits from the banks and corporations you dislike?
Old 10-07-2023, 07:34 AM   #50
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There was some benefit to waiting ages in line at the bank, 30+ years ago I met Ricky Stuart and Craig Bellamey at the Commonwealth Bank and got their autograph. Quite a treat for a 10 yo Raiders fan.
But yes, I do remember waiting an eternity in line with mum and dad, sitting around drawing on the withdrawal slips.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2023, 08:04 AM   #51
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
There was some benefit to waiting ages in line at the bank, 30+ years ago I met Ricky Stuart and Craig Bellamey at the Commonwealth Bank and got their autograph. Quite a treat for a 10 yo Raiders fan.
But yes, I do remember waiting an eternity in line with mum and dad, sitting around drawing on the withdrawal slips.
Hahaha... Yes, I suppose you could say that. As a kid I did meet Merv Hughes back in his heyday in a bank. Memory tells me it was the old high rise Commonwealth HQ on the corner of Collins and Elizabeth St in Melbourne.

I dare say the biggest savings in bank history were attributed to preventing kids from drawing on those deposit and withdrawal slips. How much wasted paper and printing they mist have gone through.
Old 10-07-2023, 03:22 PM   #52
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
How much wasted paper and printing they mist have gone through.
Interesting when staying in the CBD of any large city.
If only you could see the size of the Darling Park complex and their Darling Harbour complex of the Commonwealth Bank in $ydney, the amount of lights, computers and printers staffed 24/7, across the street from my old man's apartment.

Let alone the other big 3 down the road and probably use more paper than ever.

Wasted paper will be of no concern to them, as, no doubt they'll all be claiming to be carbon neutral. !

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2023, 01:29 PM   #53
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Seems as though cash is making a comeback. How does the saying go? "What once was old is new again."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-08-...-730/102599352

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2023, 04:36 PM   #54
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Seems as though cash is making a comeback. How does the saying go? "What once was old is new again."

Just like using paper bags for groceries and veg gardens in the back yard. Amazing!
Old 31-08-2023, 05:16 PM   #55
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Next will be allowing kids to walk to school.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 31-08-2023, 05:59 PM   #56
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

How many envelopes or sleeves you now got?
Old 31-08-2023, 11:17 PM   #57
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Well, most of my tops have sleeves....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 01-09-2023, 05:27 PM   #58
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.facebook.com/reel/125141...ibextid=3v1LA4

Brought to you by the bloke who was "guessing" the covid numbers before they were published

The last time I actually withdrew money from a teller was overseas, would have been back around 2009, and yep they asked why I needed "so much" cash and what I was using it for.

Rides (past and present)

Old 01-09-2023, 05:57 PM   #59
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
How many envelopes or sleeves you now got?
mattresses
Old 01-09-2023, 07:56 PM   #60
five 7
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Prepper alert...

Cyclone Gabrielle (nz) recently proved cash is king, there were areas with no access to any electronic banking service for a chunk of time. Power out and cell towers out of service.There was mad max scenarios in certain areas, dog eat dog. The weak were preyed on.
five 7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post