Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 25-07-2022, 07:14 PM   #1171
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Ranger teaser vidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
You drive it around for days with it throwing up fault messages due to loose battery cables
in the hope of doing a trash story on it and then take photos of it as it burns…

Ahh of course. The fire is the Journo’s fault.
Old 25-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #1172
Gumboot

I have been looking everywhere. Does anyone know What amperage the new Ranger V6 diesel and the Ranger Raptor V6 Alternators are please?

The FX4Max on the last ranger started to use high output 250amp alternators. Which was great if you are running high draw lights, Winch, Fridge and charging a dual battery setup etc. Have they carried over the high output alternators?
Thanks
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2022, 08:19 PM   #1173
Vekgib

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
Slightly off topic, but whilst I'm annoyed at waiting so long for my Ranger, I got some perspective yesterday when I drove a mate to order his new car. He wants an I20N, dealer told us, with a straight face, he was looking at 18 months wait.... Wow... Now I dont feel so bad.... He is going to call Ford to ask about wait times on Fiesta ST tomorrow instead...
That dealer is taking the mickey. Did some poking around at work today. An i20N ordered now would be delivered no later than February here.

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2022, 08:22 PM   #1174
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiestaz View Post
continuing to drive around in a car that is throwing up DTCs? yes it is!
simon varley is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 09:03 PM   #1175
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
continuing to drive around in a car that is throwing up DTCs? yes it is!
According to the reports I can find, the car threw codes or errors, then the engine shut down, then it caught fire. Source was news.com.au who the journalist in this case works for. https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...be3b7b875a04cd

Where is this information about driving it around with codes?
Old 25-07-2022, 09:07 PM   #1176
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumboot View Post
I have been looking everywhere. Does anyone know What amperage the new Ranger V6 diesel and the Ranger Raptor V6 Alternators are please?

The FX4Max on the last ranger started to use high output 250amp alternators. Which was great if you are running high draw lights, Winch, Fridge and charging a dual battery setup etc. Have they carried over the high output alternators?
Thanks
250 amps.. 145 amps at 750 RPM (min) to 250 amps at 2500 rpm (max) for V6 Diesel,

250 amps, 110 amps at 625 RPM (min) to 250 amps at 2500 rpm (max) for V6 Raptor.
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #1177
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTLEGEND View Post
250 amps.. 145 amps at 750 RPM (min) to 250 amps at 2500 rpm (max) for V6 Diesel,

250 amps, 110 amps at 625 RPM (min) to 250 amps at 2500 rpm (max) for V6 Raptor.
That is impressive, they've obviously thought about uses here for the Ranger, being able to pump out 145A continuously at idle is a game changer for maintaining big battery banks and having decent electrical accessories.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 25-07-2022, 09:19 PM   #1178
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
In a way, yes unless you accept the “moron’s defense”.
Even after after after days of fault codes coming up on the dash, he chose not to return it to the dealership
or even look under the bonnet, had he done that he would have noticed the loose battery cables that nearly killed him.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2022, 09:20 PM   #1179
Gumboot

Quote:

Thanks so much GTLegend!
Cheers
Gumboot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2022, 09:26 PM   #1180
fiestaz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
In a way, yes unless you accept the “moron’s defense”.
Even after after after days of fault codes coming up on the dash, he chose not to return it to the dealership
or even look under the bonnet, had he done that he would have noticed the loose battery cables that nearly killed him.
Again, I haven’t read that it was driven around for days. This situation started and finished within minutes. Do you have a source for this?
Old 25-07-2022, 11:47 PM   #1181
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wouldn’t that charging rate be hard on the battery(s)
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2022, 11:49 PM   #1182
GTLEGEND
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Every advice post I visit where OP are seeking advice for their new vehicle, he is there and adds valuable support and advice for rectifying the problem. Really is a Legend. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The quality of information he provides is in depth and highly valued by those posting questions. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
Wouldn’t that charging rate be hard on the battery(s)
Dont forget it has smart charge so only charges when the battery state of charge drops below 80%..
GTLEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2022, 09:39 AM   #1183
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Again, I haven’t read that it was driven around for days. This situation started and finished within minutes. Do you have a source for this?
You are right, no matter what the circumstances, Ford was at fault for giving him a vehicle with
loose battery cables, anything that happens beyond that is all on Ford. It just suddenly burst into flames.
Once that happens, people’s lives are endangered, and anything before is of no consequence.

The fortunate thing here is that internal testing proved that it was down to loose battery cables,
they know exactly what was done and how long to failure and fire occurring, so an unnecessary
recall was avoided……beyond that, no allegations were made by Ford.

Last edited by jpd80; 26-07-2022 at 09:46 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 26-07-2022, 12:11 PM   #1184
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nibble View Post
Does the Raptor get the paddle shifter behind the steering wheel?
Yes it does.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2022, 07:19 PM   #1185
Top_Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has been consistently providing good technical advice etc. to AFF members, by having the vast technical knowledge he has with the various Ford products. A valuable AFF member 

Quote:
Dont forget it has smart charge so only charges when the battery state of charge drops below 80%..

That’s the first thing every grey nomad wants turned off.
Top_Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2022, 07:28 PM   #1186
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can someone explain in laymans language what the advantages and disadvantages of smart alternators.Cars seem to have been working for the last 50-60 years without a smart alternators,so why the change?
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2022, 07:32 PM   #1187
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Can someone explain in laymans language what the advantages and disadvantages of smart alternators.Cars seem to have been working for the last 50-60 years without a smart alternators,so why the change?
Saves fuel by varying load on the alternator only using it when you need it, kinda like how VE Commodore free spins the alternator under wide open throttle - removes parasitic loads on the engine. In the case of the smart charging system it works in all scenarios when you're driving the vehicle rather just under wide open throttle like the VE Commodore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top_Ghia View Post
That’s the first thing every grey nomad wants turned off.
You can leave it on as long as you earth the auxiliary batteries to the chassis of the vehicle, this worked with basic dual battery setups on PX and PXII - they have a sensor in the negative lead on the starting battery that the smart charging system uses, if you try earth the auxiliary batteries to the negative terminal on the start battery they don't charge properly.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 26-07-2022 at 07:37 PM.
Old 27-07-2022, 01:42 AM   #1188
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Something I don't like about that big screen is how laggy the interface is - look at when he goes to move the GPS screen around and how jerky it is, same as moving between functions and even using the sketch app it takes ages to register what he's doing on the screen.

Its real obvious at 13:43 where he's moving the GPS around and the map becomes real jerky on the zoom out/movement/zoom in and navigating around the map, looks like the framerate is 10-15 FPS, its an absolute slide show with how jerky the interfaces are when moving around screens.

At 16:52 you can see how badly it handles that 'sketch' program, the delay between what he's touching on the screen and it actually appearing in the program makes it feel like they've really undercooked the hardware that is driving SYNC, or its just very bloated.

Navigating to the vehicle settings at 17:08 it takes a good half to 3/4 second to go from button press to actually opening the menu and the transitions between menu options is jerky, if you could disable the menu transitions I think that would be a good way to reduce how aggravating that is to operate.

Even opening other menus it takes half a second or so to display text which fills in on the screen rather than display it instantly, I'm hoping those are transitions rather than limitations.

I really wish auto manufacturers would just give up on trying to make their own infotainment systems like SYNC and just subcontract out the hardware and software side to Google/Apple or other SoC manufacturers to do all that functionality and use what everyones phone does.

I've got a phone thats a couple years old running Android 11 that cost $250 when I bought it new, years later and a billion software updates it still responds instantly to your inputs with the transitions between screens happening smoothly and manipulating Google Maps isn't laggy or behave like a powerpoint presentation.

I do like that they've given you all the HVAC and volume controls as physical buttons, I'd be using those rather than the screen for those functions.

I'm curious as to the specs of the hardware thats driving that SYNC infotainment system.

I really like all those features it has but I don't like the implementation - kypez how does the Tesla implementation of its infotainment screen operate?

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-07-2022 at 02:10 AM.
Old 27-07-2022, 07:40 AM   #1189
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
In older systems, the alternator was always loaded even when the battery was full,
turning the battery into kind of like a capacitor to prevent voltage spikes hurting
electronic components. Modern charging systems have moved beyond doing that.
Old 27-07-2022, 07:48 AM   #1190
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Something I don't like about that big screen is how laggy the interface is - look at when he goes to move the GPS screen around and how jerky it is, same as moving between functions and even using the sketch app it takes ages to register what he's doing on the screen.
I found this in both the example I test Drove (Sports V6) and the Wildtrack Biturbo I sat in/looked at. Screen resolution is great, the layout is fine and I found it easy to use, it's just very laggy and the transitions aren't smooth... I'm sure they can probably sort it with a software upgrade at some stage..

Rest of the interior (and car as a whole including the drive) was bloody awesome and I cant wait for mine... Was even stoked to see my colour in the flesh also...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 08:24 AM   #1191
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Similar to drive by wire and electric hand brakes....which IMO all have substantial negatives to them , all of them were fixing something that wasn't broken .

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 11:14 AM   #1192
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The smart alternator saves a miniscule amount of fuel.
A mate was telling me they had the smart system disabled by the dealer on their Rangers. They were getting flat batteries when they left the yellow flashing light running when working on site.
EBSXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 11:15 AM   #1193
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Similar to drive by wire and electric hand brakes....which IMO all have substantial negatives to them , all of them were fixing something that wasn't broken .
Drive by wire has a heap of advantages over cable throttle though. Emissions reductions are the main reason it was implemented. Driver assist systems compatibility the other.
Old 27-07-2022, 11:18 AM   #1194
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

Its real obvious at 13:43 where he's moving the GPS around and the map becomes real jerky on the zoom out/movement/zoom in and navigating around the map, looks like the framerate is 10-15 FPS, its an absolute slide show with how jerky the interfaces are when moving around screens.

At 16:52 you can see how badly it handles that 'sketch' program, the delay between what he's touching on the screen and it actually appearing in the program makes it feel like they've really undercooked the hardware that is driving SYNC, or its just very bloated.

Navigating to the vehicle settings at 17:08 it takes a good half to 3/4 second to go from button press to actually opening the menu and the transitions between menu options is jerky, if you could disable the menu transitions I think that would be a good way to reduce how aggravating that is to operate.

Even opening other menus it takes half a second or so to display text which fills in on the screen rather than display it instantly, I'm hoping those are transitions rather than limitations.

I really wish auto manufacturers would just give up on trying to make their own infotainment systems like SYNC and just subcontract out the hardware and software side to Google/Apple or other SoC manufacturers to do all that functionality and use what everyones phone does.

I've got a phone thats a couple years old running Android 11 that cost $250 when I bought it new, years later and a billion software updates it still responds instantly to your inputs with the transitions between screens happening smoothly and manipulating Google Maps isn't laggy or behave like a powerpoint presentation.

I do like that they've given you all the HVAC and volume controls as physical buttons, I'd be using those rather than the screen for those functions.

I'm curious as to the specs of the hardware thats driving that SYNC infotainment system.

I really like all those features it has but I don't like the implementation - kypez how does the Tesla implementation of its infotainment screen operate?
Ford are partnering with Google for their next gen infotainment.

Ford is the latest automaker to turn its vehicle operating systems over to Google. The Dearborn, Michigan-based company said it will use Google’s Android to power the infotainment systems in “millions” of its cars starting in 2023. That means Google’s voice-activated Assistant, Google Maps, and other automotive-approved Android apps will be available in Ford’s cars without requiring the use of an Android smartphone.
Old 27-07-2022, 11:51 AM   #1195
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
The 'lag' everyone complains about drive by wire systems is purposely programmed in by the engineers, the electronic throttle body on the VZ-VF Commodore can go from completely shut to WOT in 70ms if you want it to which is faster than you and your foot with a cable throttle

Unfortunately it's a symptom of engineers having to design a car that suits 200,000 people's driving styles so you end up with a compromise.

I particularly dislike how the DBW throttle operates on VF Commodore it's absolutely horrible with a huge dead zone and delay to minor throttle inputs but it can be improved markedly if you're that way inclined.

I'm pretty sure it was used in the FPV GS to only give it 315KW - 100% pedal didn't equal throttle plate open 100% it would only open the throttle plate at a maximum angle rather than all the way.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-07-2022 at 11:56 AM.
Old 27-07-2022, 11:57 AM   #1196
rare ss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
The smart alternator saves a miniscule amount of fuel.
A mate was telling me they had the smart system disabled by the dealer on their Rangers. They were getting flat batteries when they left the yellow flashing light running when working on site.
We had to d/c the smart charge on the mine spec Rangers we got in 2015 due to flat batteries all the time also
FGII FPV F6 #406
BFII FPV F6 Typhoon R Spec #118
VK HDT Group A/Group 3 #3249
rare ss is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-07-2022, 12:03 PM   #1197
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Drive by wire has a heap of advantages over cable throttle though. Emissions reductions are the main reason it was implemented. Driver assist systems compatibility the other.
Yep and a major negative called driveability

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 27-07-2022, 12:20 PM   #1198
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The 'lag' everyone complains about drive by wire systems is purposely programmed in by the engineers, the electronic throttle body on the VZ-VF Commodore can go from completely shut to WOT in 70ms if you want it to which is faster than you and your foot with a cable throttle

Unfortunately it's a symptom of engineers having to design a car that suits 200,000 people's driving styles so you end up with a compromise.

I particularly dislike how the DBW throttle operates on VF Commodore it's absolutely horrible with a huge dead zone and delay to minor throttle inputs but it can be improved markedly if you're that way inclined.

I'm pretty sure it was used in the FPV GS to only give it 315KW - 100% pedal didn't equal throttle plate open 100% it would only open the throttle plate at a maximum angle rather than all the way.
Yep you can tweak the throttle response with all these little electronic gizmos (I've got one on my ute you can have them as responsive as you want) but what they can't speed up is throttle off and it's a real PIA if you like manuals

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 27-07-2022, 12:48 PM   #1199
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Yep you can tweak the throttle response with all these little electronic gizmos (I've got one on my ute you can have them as responsive as you want) but what they can't speed up is throttle off and it's a real PIA if you like manuals
Yes you can, you do it through throttle mapping of the ECU rather than trying to use an external box to intercept the signal and modify it.

If you get a car remapped you can control all of these things, you can have it just like a DBC setup where what you do with the pedal is what it does at the throttle body with all the benefits that DBW brings.

The issues you're talking about is how the manufacturer wants the car to behave, the factory implementation of the DBW setup on the WZ Fiesta ST is mint, it's a manual car and the throttle response is crisp both on and off the throttle and that's a factory setup.

It's all modifiable through a remap if you want to change how the throttle behaves, the little external box is a band-aid slap on.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 27-07-2022 at 12:55 PM.
Old 27-07-2022, 01:10 PM   #1200
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I would imagine the lack of physical cable improves nvh as well?