Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 08-09-2006, 01:57 PM   #1
Maxim

Default 80's BMX

I have just purchased a 1985 Mongoose -supergoose pushbike frame and forks. I am looking for 80's type BMX accessories such as Tuffs, Handle bars etc.

Does anybody have any bits they want to get rid of or sell?

Please email me , thanks Dave

davidfree@aapt.net.au

Maxim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:23 PM   #2
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL - so many memories from this post.

Is it a Mongoose Expert?

Skyway tuffs used to be huge back in the day. And a 'lay-back' seat pole. Bear trap foot pedals. (who was a tragic 80's BMX bandit? ME!)

Ok. Enough reminiscing. Post some pics up when its all done please! Good luck.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:26 PM   #3
big_pete
Sublime

haha awsome!

i found a set of Skyway tuffs for my little brothers bike, he loves em!
Old 08-09-2006, 04:58 PM   #4
XRated
Shoot.

I have a '97 Mongoose Expert Comp sitting in the shed. I dunno what's useful on it... It has spurs if that counts hehe.

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 06:32 PM   #5
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nostalgia, i love it. was the supergoose the taller frame one for older riders? i can't remember i was always a redline and PK ripper fan.
NAK302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this site may help you http://bmxmuseum.com/
Old 12-09-2006, 06:42 PM   #7
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
LOL - so many memories from this post.

Is it a Mongoose Expert?

Skyway tuffs used to be huge back in the day. And a 'lay-back' seat pole. Bear trap foot pedals. (who was a tragic 80's BMX bandit? ME!)

Ok. Enough reminiscing. Post some pics up when its all done please! Good luck.
Man you giving me bad flashbacks dude, mate I have at my oldies place a Raceincorperated (all alloy) frame with flight 600 redline cranks GT handle bars used to have 21" skinnies when i was a little fella but now has 20" rims on it and bear trap pedals which I use to file sharp (man they hirt when I sliped the pedals). Has alot of sentimantal value as I won the Aussy titles on it in the under 10 age group lol at Waverly in Vic.
Mate I was way into it raced in almost every state, might be able to dig up a few things.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 06:46 PM   #8
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

those flight cranks wern't cheap back then, but then neither were bullseye hubs, arai rims etc. boy this thread is digging up my youth LOL
Old 12-09-2006, 06:54 PM   #9
Maxim

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-0733
nostalgia, i love it. was the supergoose the taller frame one for older riders? i can't remember i was always a redline and PK ripper fan.
Moosegoose was the taller one. :

Pk rippers are still out of my league :
Old 12-09-2006, 07:05 PM   #10
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aah yes thats right. i only ever saw one in the flesh. it looked weird cause the frame looked too big for the 20' rims. i'll have to dig up some old pics and scan them. my first proper bmx frame was the australian made quicksilver chrome moly frame with Tange forks and second series Tuffs.
Old 12-09-2006, 07:47 PM   #11
Bluefreak

I had a Malvern Star Maxi II,,, Meh, I feel like such a povo...lol
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2006, 09:31 PM   #12
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefreak
I had a Malvern Star Maxi II,,, Meh, I feel like such a povo...lol
Me first BMX was a Malvern star with skyway tuffs, my brother use to have a JMC and my other brother had a GT and GT mini cruiser.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:35 PM   #13
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
those flight cranks wern't cheap back then, but then neither were bullseye hubs, arai rims etc. boy this thread is digging up my youth LOL
Nah they wernt cheap at all but they were dam strong and light just ask Stu Thompsom lol ( was open world champ in the 80's sponsored by Redline if some of you dont know who he was.)
Old 12-09-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
aah yes thats right. i only ever saw one in the flesh. it looked weird cause the frame looked too big for the 20' rims. i'll have to dig up some old pics and scan them. my first proper bmx frame was the australian made quicksilver chrome moly frame with Tange forks and second series Tuffs.
Its all coming flooding back isnt it well a bit blury but anyway.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:41 PM   #15
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Second series tuffs, were they the graphite ones?
Old 13-09-2006, 12:38 AM   #16
NAK302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Second series tuffs, were they the graphite ones?

no. the graphites were the same as series 2 but about a 3rd of the weight and only black. series 1 had smaller hubs. hahaha i remember buying flight cranks in Adelaide for about 350 bucks. my old man thought i was nuts.
i remember who Stu was he was actually married to Greg Hill's sister. Hill used to be a redline factory rider as well but moved to GT.
it's amazing how much trivial ***** you can remember from 25 years ago.

sorry for highjacking your thread Maxim. i did a quick search on ebay and there may be some stuff in there of interest to you.
Old 13-09-2006, 01:32 AM   #17
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

I had a Maxim factory Production Series that was raced by the U16 National Champion..I used to be a very quick guy on the sprint bike but I got bored of it hey. Not to sound like im blowing my trumpet, but I kept on winning..they put me up to experts and I beat them all too...we couldnt afford to Race in the United States at the time, so there wasn't really anywhere else for me to go :(
Old 13-09-2006, 10:20 AM   #18
fat289
fat289

I was running a bike shop ( Speedwell dealership )when the first of the Speedwell BMX bikes came out & remember taking it out of the carton & thinking it was weird because the 20x2.125 tyre was on the front & the 20x1.75 was on the back
Building 1 off custom bikes from parts on the shelf
Tuff rims spoked up with alloy nipples
Diamondback crank-sets
2 finger brake levers ( can't remember the name )
Anodised alloy everything !!!!!!!
Mongoose 24's & all that stuff !!!!!!

XRGT
XP ute 351w Toploader
99 Springer softail
XW Fairmont 302w / c4 col shift 58,000 miles
fat289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 11:20 AM   #19
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

LOL..........aww this is awesome.

Again Maxim apologies for hijacking but im sure we are all enjoying this.

I too raced some BMX in Townsville (not much to do up there as a young fella).

Bluefreak - laughing so hard at your povo call. I'm with ya. I had a supermax - but it was a chromie!!!!
(struggling but I think it was called that - like a rip off of a redline, remember how redlines/supermax's had like chrome plating at the front of the frame near the gooseneck? Redline had the bottom peice but the supermax didnt. Sketchy explanation but thats how I remembered being able to tell if someone did have a redline or not......)

I remember some guys racing BMX running Crisp frames. Thats another name that sprang to mind.

Quadcams - sorry to give you the bad trip! ha ha ha. You've dug up some gold in your posts.

I had a mate very good and won state titles and things at BMX. I sucked (especially with my supermax!) and we started getting into Haro's and those types of street bikes rather than race bikes.

Ok heres another one. Remember having a 'pitty'? Like a real small 'pit bike' that you'd cruise round the carpark or the track on - leaving your race bike all prepped up and unused until each race. Used to be cool to have the smallest pitty you could make, tiny wheels, tiny frames. Quite stupid really.
XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 02:05 PM   #20
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

my first BMX was a Quicksilver http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/competition_developments/560 that was a frigen grate bike then I got an SLA (cant find a link for that) built in Queensland any how, it was awsum, full ally frame landing gear forks 21" skinnies (later changed ot sow ups) uni seat Gt bars, red line cranks and bear trap peddles, after that I got a Quick silver Cruzer (like a mountan bike with out gears) form the quick silver closing down sale. I spent **** loads on it all none of it helped I still sucked, my parrents drove me all over the state to loose miserably, the only name i remember form back then was "The Professer" he was a Quicksilver rider (I think) andd he had a helium filled frame he was my idle, I also remember Speedweel came to my track to feel a comersial (I was too young) andd all the guys that were in it got new bikes and race gear helmets etc...

Man the days spent at the Castle Hill BMX club who good was that.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)

Last edited by The Yeti; 13-09-2006 at 02:16 PM.
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 02:42 PM   #21
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
LOL..........aww this is awesome.

Again Maxim apologies for hijacking but im sure we are all enjoying this.

I too raced some BMX in Townsville (not much to do up there as a young fella).

Bluefreak - laughing so hard at your povo call. I'm with ya. I had a supermax - but it was a chromie!!!!
(struggling but I think it was called that - like a rip off of a redline, remember how redlines/supermax's had like chrome plating at the front of the frame near the gooseneck? Redline had the bottom peice but the supermax didnt. Sketchy explanation but thats how I remembered being able to tell if someone did have a redline or not......)

I remember some guys racing BMX running Crisp frames. Thats another name that sprang to mind.

Quadcams - sorry to give you the bad trip! ha ha ha. You've dug up some gold in your posts.

I had a mate very good and won state titles and things at BMX. I sucked (especially with my supermax!) and we started getting into Haro's and those types of street bikes rather than race bikes.

Ok heres another one. Remember having a 'pitty'? Like a real small 'pit bike' that you'd cruise round the carpark or the track on - leaving your race bike all prepped up and unused until each race. Used to be cool to have the smallest pitty you could make, tiny wheels, tiny frames. Quite stupid really.
LOL..i remember seeing those bikes going arround..i never knew what they were! Mate there were some awesome stacks! I remember causing some but never getting hurt in them I used to race at Tenambit BMX Track in Maitland, NSW.

I had an "FM" Race Helmet
"Beyond Racing" Outfit
And my faithful Dunlop Velcro Racing Shoes :

Two fond memories, Feet slipping off and metal spiked pedals smashing into your shins
Slipping off your pedals and land on that gawd-awful tiny plastic seat :ticking:
Old 13-09-2006, 05:10 PM   #22
Thornie
Off smelting

i used to race one of these http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/jmc/40 back in the day, after a few years i quit, then tried to make a comeback a couple of years later but it just wasn't the same.
Thornie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 06:20 PM   #23
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
my first BMX was a Quicksilver http://bmxmuseum.com/bikes/competition_developments/560 that was a frigen grate bike then I got an SLA (cant find a link for that) built in Queensland any how, it was awsum, full ally frame landing gear forks 21" skinnies (later changed ot sow ups) uni seat Gt bars, red line cranks and bear trap peddles, after that I got a Quick silver Cruzer (like a mountan bike with out gears) form the quick silver closing down sale. I spent **** loads on it all none of it helped I still sucked, my parrents drove me all over the state to loose miserably, the only name i remember form back then was "The Professer" he was a Quicksilver rider (I think) andd he had a helium filled frame he was my idle, I also remember Speedweel came to my track to feel a comersial (I was too young) andd all the guys that were in it got new bikes and race gear helmets etc...

Man the days spent at the Castle Hill BMX club who good was that.
Man this is a classic I havnt spoken to people about this for years.

Mate how unconfortable were those uni seats but hell they were light and yeh I raced at Castle hill track a few times but mainly raced at liverpool speedway every friday night was a awsome track. And I also rember the professor to.
Old 13-09-2006, 07:32 PM   #24
jason71
google is my friend

I remember saving up for months doing the milk run to buy some tuffs for my BMX, then broke the rear one on my first ride with them!
jason71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #25
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quadcams
Man this is a classic I havnt spoken to people about this for years.

Mate how unconfortable were those uni seats but hell they were light and yeh I raced at Castle hill track a few times but mainly raced at liverpool speedway every friday night was a awsome track. And I also rember the professor to.
I raced at Liver pool a few times infact my first ever race was at liverool it was wet and I was only like 7 or 8 at the time I remeber I couldnt get up that dam hill for som reason I wanted to keep doing it thats when we went to Castle Hill (we lived near by) I raced there for ages dad was the presedent mum the canteen chick, until my sister wanted a horse and I couldnt be bothered riding to the track and it was all to hard so like alot of 13 or 14 yo's I quit (Istill cant work out why considering the pony club was next door to the bmx track)

Other tracks i used to race atwere Manly Ryde Kattomba champbell town + a heap of tracks I only raced at once

Old 14-09-2006, 12:19 AM   #26
Falchoon

Thumbs up

I nominate this for the best thread EVER! I was a BMX star back in the 80s. Remember the Do The Right Thing TV advert where the guy did a Rock Walk? How many wheels did I wreck trying to imitate that - Tuffs included! Tuff IIs were lighter but more fragile than Tuff I, used to crack around the hub.

A mate of mine asked his old man for some money to buy some new wheels for his BMX. Was given a blank cheque, came back with a complete Redline with Ambraisio (sp?) alloys with Snakebelly tyres, Tange forks, Redline Vee Bars, Cook Bros laid back seat post and Ashtabula (sp?) cranks! Cost about $1500. His old man hit the roof and literally bashed the ***** out of him!

Redline flight cranks, I used to have wet dreams about them...

Remember Nicole Kidman in BMX Bandits before she was famous?!

Also remember the Fly Speedwell TV advert with the Speedwell riders doing semi Tabletops in slow motion?! I had a Speedwell BMX but the frame started mushrooming around the headset after repeated jumps. They were only mild steel, unlike the more expensive bikes which were Cro Moly. It was still better than the dragster frame I originally had which kept needing to be brazed up every second week!

I remember The Professor who was the Quicksilver pro rider and also Stu Thompsom and Greg Hill. They were my heroes as was RL Osborn who was the Freestyle king on a Haro.

Some great "old school" BMX parts here

Just found a BMX forum!
http://www.os-bmx.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 09:03 AM   #27
Maxim

I am searching for some redline v bars! :
Old 14-09-2006, 02:32 PM   #28
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falchoon

Also remember the Fly Speedwell TV advert with the Speedwell riders doing semi Tabletops in slow motion?! I had a Speedwell BMX but the frame started mushrooming around the headset after repeated jumps. They were only mild steel, unlike the more expensive bikes which were Cro Moly. It was still better than the dragster frame I originally had which kept needing to be brazed up every second week!

I remember The Professor who was the Quicksilver pro rider and also Stu Thompsom and Greg Hill. They were my heroes as was RL Osborn who was the Freestyle king on a Haro.

Some great "old school" BMX parts here

Just found a BMX forum!
http://www.os-bmx.com/forums/index.php?act=idx
Thats the ad Iwas talking about, woo hoo some one apart form me remembers it, What did greg hill ride? the name rings a a bell but I cant place him

Old 14-09-2006, 10:20 PM   #29
Falchoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti
Thats the ad Iwas talking about, woo hoo some one apart form me remembers it, What did greg hill ride? the name rings a a bell but I cant place him
GT0733 was correct in saying Greg Hill started out on a Redline and then later on went to GT.

Here's another couple of links to bring back some more memories
http://vintagebmx.com/
http://www.greghillspeedseminars.com/

We need Mel & Kochie to do a "Where Are They Now" program on these childhood heroes!
Falchoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #30
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Except I cant stand mell or Cocky that woul be great