Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 06-01-2024, 03:28 PM   #91
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: VFACTS Dec 2023 and full year

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
There's a lot more to the dualcab aftermarket than just suspension
True. I forgot about the sticker kits directing people to the driver's instagram.

#lapofaustralia #livinthedream #blessed
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 04:51 PM   #92
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Yes, its going to effect Toyota and their Hilux sales, but look at Toyota's total sales - not a two horse race like Ford Australia is, they have significantly more sales because they offer 20+ options to our market.

Back in the says of the EF Falcon when Ford Australia were last in number 1, what was the model breakdown of their sales, how many different vehicles did they offer to the market?
If Toyota lost ALL Hilux sales for 2023, they would STILL be number 1 seller of the year at just over 154k vehicles. Its what happens when you have a whole range of vehicles, that actually sell. Its something concerning with Ford. Sure while things are good and they are selling a ton of Rangers its all sunshine and lollypops but if the a$$ falls out they don't have other models to fall back on....

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 05:15 PM   #93
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
Not far away here, in the US they recently introduced mandatory Elogs on all (real) trucks built after 2000. These new logs record everything a gov agency would want. The technology would be easy to introduce to fleet and ABN holders claiming these.

I agree. I'm self employed and I claim most stuff for my Ranger but I would be happy to have GPS logged data for tax use.

While we are on a tangent, my mate has worked at Telstra since 1999, he gets a vehicle to take home but zero personal use - no exceptions. Start it when you log on in the morning and turn it off when you log out in the arvo. At the start of employment they had to declare where the vehicle was being parked at night. Around 2010ish they brought in GPS tracking to all vehicles, around 30% of the techs quit saying invasion of privacy or similar. I can't work that one out considering they are 100% work use only....
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 05:23 PM   #94
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Good, something like that for people claiming 100% business use is needed,
they could geofence the person’s home suburb to permit a small amount of
incidental travelling outside of normal work hours, anything else should need
to be justified as either out of hours work/travel or non-business use.

Technology is the answer, those cheating the system will give up when
electric travel records are required and they can’t cook the books.
We already run a system like that in NZ called E - Road just a GPS system you can geo fence it to speed limits ( log overspeeds) ,ⁿalso geofence off highway / private land running for the likes of logging trucks , milk tankers where there's a lot of savings in RUC (road user charge) it can be precisely automatically discounted from your daily use , a lot easier than working on averages for runs and office staff having to manually apply the calculations to each day's run

You can do the same with couriers ,tradie utes etc

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-01-2024, 08:24 PM   #95
CyberWasp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Large Anomalies would show up like a beacon in the ATO when processing peoples Tax Returns.
People that claim way above the average would be audited in no time.
With the amount of Data being crunched I would not think you could cheat the system too far.
I am sure we all know someone who claims excessively at tax time, and has been audited.
The system does its thing.

Yes the technology would be there to have your Etag for example, GPS Track you and record all your driving for the ATO but do we really want to go there?
CyberWasp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 08:34 PM   #96
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberWasp View Post
Large Anomalies would show up like a beacon in the ATO when processing peoples Tax Returns.
People that claim way above the average would be audited in no time.
With the amount of Data being crunched I would not think you could cheat the system too far.
I am sure we all know someone who claims excessively at tax time, and has been audited.
The system does its thing.

Yes the technology would be there to have your Etag for example, GPS Track you and record all your driving for the ATO but do we really want to go there?
It doesn't matter whether you want to or not the tech is there if someone can make a buck out of selling it , ....it will happen

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2024, 08:47 PM   #97
prydey
Rob

These threads used to be about 'death of the falcon' until the falcon actually did die.

Then interest in the threads dwindled for a few years until the next 'bandwagon' came along.

Now every thread eventually turns to 'Thailand special tax incentives' with the same members getting 'outraged' each month.

Apparently the only people buying these cars are business owners gaming the system. Apparently we'd all be driving small manual cars if 'incentives' were taken away.

Here's a thought. If incentives got removed, would the sales change or would the prices of new cars change.

Pretty sure it doesn't cost $60k to build a ute.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:37 AM   #98
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
These threads used to be about 'death of the falcon' until the falcon actually did die.

Then interest in the threads dwindled for a few years until the next 'bandwagon' came along.

Now every thread eventually turns to 'Thailand special tax incentives' with the same members getting 'outraged' each month.

Apparently the only people buying these cars are business owners gaming the system. Apparently we'd all be driving small manual cars if 'incentives' were taken away.

Here's a thought. If incentives got removed, would the sales change or would the prices of new cars change.

Good to see someone's learning something here.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #99
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

On that thought,
I remember a few years ago when PX2 (?) Wildtrak came out and Ford was testing the upper limit with a $65k Ute…
Today, I think you’d struggle to get a decently optioned up XLT crew cab for that amount….

Shortages in the pandemic didn’t help but I have to wonder, now that Ford has a lot more
boat delivery capacity, are we seeing a new higher sales level or one that’s still reflecting
a ton of back orders…..are we expecting to see an easing of deliveries once the backlog ends?
Or dose the new capacity suggest that more buyers will go order Ranger /Everest once deliveries
come down to under three months?
I really don’t know.

Tax incentives and surveillance is a curly question, I don’t think the government wants to change anything
especially if enough swing voters are ready to punish them at the next election…
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2024, 10:33 AM   #100
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
If Toyota lost ALL Hilux sales for 2023, they would STILL be number 1 seller of the year at just over 154k vehicles. It’s what happens when you have a whole range of vehicles, that actually sell. It’s something concerning with Ford
Absolutely and it’s to do with the dysfunction of Dearborn that it sees our RHD market as a subset of Ford UK.
That’s simply because it couldn’t be f’ed making additional RHD models for our market, heck we can’t even
get enough of the ones that Ford Europe is supposed to be supplying us.

Quote:
Sure while things are good and they are selling a ton of Rangers it’s all sunshine and lollypops but if the a$$ falls out they don't have other models to fall back on....
What else is Ford Australia to do if it can’t get other vehicles to sell?
Many people default to the proverb, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket”
I would argue that’s what Holden did and look what happened to them.

No Ford Australia was right to double down on Ranger/Everest and really push them
because not doing so when you have nothing else to sell is the quick road out of business.
Many other Ford vehicles that would interest Australian buyers are simply not available
Old 07-01-2024, 11:13 AM   #101
prydey
Rob

Quote:
On that thought,
I remember a few years ago when PX2 (?) Wildtrak came out and Ford was testing the upper limit with a $65k Ute…
Today, I think you’d struggle to get a decently optioned up XLT crew cab for that amount….

Shortages in the pandemic didn’t help but I have to wonder, now that Ford has a lot more
boat delivery capacity, are we seeing a new higher sales level or one that’s still reflecting
a ton of back orders…..are we expecting to see an easing of deliveries once the backlog ends?
Or dose the new capacity suggest that more buyers will go order Ranger /Everest once deliveries
come down to under three months?
I really don’t know.

Tax incentives and surveillance is a curly question, I don’t think the government wants to change anything
especially if enough swing voters are ready to punish them at the next election…
I think you'd have to be an eternal optimist to think the last few months sales is anything more than reducing the backlog.
Old 07-01-2024, 01:46 PM   #102
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
What else is Ford Australia to do if it can’t get other vehicles to sell?
Many people default to the proverb, “Don’t put all your eggs in one basket”
I would argue that’s what Holden did and look what happened to them.
No. It is not what Holden did.

It is what GM forced on Holden ( GM HQ knows it all ). ****boxes from Korea, (young bloke doesn't want a car like what his father had ), and a fully imported German Commodore, and imported Mexican SUVs.
Now, GM are running around looking for their backside in the dark, while sales slide and their EVs break down 100 yards from the dealer showroom.

Bob Lutz, take bow. You done good.
Mary Barra, Mark Reuss, don't take a bow, you have done ****house.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 02:06 PM   #103
ToryMikey

Quote:

The “death of the Falcon” has been started by the media, from the days of Project Capricorn. I’m 30 and I can’t remember a time that the Falcon wasn’t death ridden in the media.
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 02:30 PM   #104
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Yep, you'd see a growth in EV sales, just like they already have when they recently made EV's FBT exempt, which lead to a growth in EV sales.

However there's still more exemptions applicable on Thailand Specials that come into play with claiming things like family tax benefit, childcare subsidies and all that jazz - that don't apply to EVs that are FBT exempt, because Thailand Specials aren't considered 'cars'.

If you buy the FBT exempt EV, rather than the FBT exempt Thailand Special you cause issues claiming other entitlements.

Make it a level playing field between EV's and Thailand Specials and you'd see the market shift accordingly, just like we did towards Thailand Specials when all the tax advantages started happening.

There's no 'outrage' here, drive what you want, but the market is being influenced by government policy and you can't deny it, I've been harping on about it for years, now the media is picking up on it, and there's pressure on the government to promote environmentally friendly options instead of diesel utes from Thailand.

The political party running the show is massively hemorrhaging votes from the largest voting demographic in the country to other political parties because their lack of 'green credentials', there's also a loosely aligned group of rich white women in a coalition who are in there solely on environmental issues that were bankrolled by a billionaire who harps on about the environment constantly - if you don't think both of these issues in Canberra is going to effect subsidies on diesel utes thats going to cause a change in customers buying habits, you've got rocks in your head.

You wont be having the sales discussion about the top three market movers without talking about Canberra's influence in the market and if you do, its disinformation - end of story.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 07-01-2024 at 02:49 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-01-2024, 02:42 PM   #105
Warrenk

Quote:
Yep, you'd see a growth in EV sales, just like they already have when they recently made EV's FBT exempt, which lead to a growth in EV sales.

However there's still more exemptions applicable on Thailand Specials that come into play with claiming things like family tax benefit, childcare subsidies and all that jazz - that don't apply to EVs that are FBT exempt, because Thailand Specials aren't considered 'cars'.

If you buy the FBT exempt EV, rather than the Thailand Special you cause issues claiming other entitlements.

Make it a level playing field between EV's and Thailand Specials and you'd see the market shift accordingly, just like we did towards Thailand Specials when all the tax advantages started happening.

There's no 'outrage' here, drive what you want, but the market is being influenced by government policy and you can't deny it.
BYD will release a hybrid dual cab ute this year and an electric version next year. They will be exempt from FBT for EVs and utes and family friendly, at least around town. They will be useless towing the family camper too far from home, though, but this ute will meet your guidelines for tax advantages.
Old 07-01-2024, 02:47 PM   #106
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrenk View Post
BYD will release a hybrid dual cab ute this year and an electric version next year. They will be exempt from FBT for EVs and utes and family friendly, at least around town. They will be useless towing the family camper too far from home, though, but this ute will meet your guidelines for tax advantages.
I'm interested to monitor their sales over a 12 month period, thats for sure.
Old 07-01-2024, 03:25 PM   #107
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
No. It is not what Holden did.

It is what GM forced on Holden ( GM HQ knows it all ). ****boxes from Korea, (young bloke doesn't want a car like what his father had ), and a fully imported German Commodore, and imported Mexican SUVs.
Now, GM are running around looking for their backside in the dark, while sales slide and their EVs break down 100 yards from the dealer showroom.

Bob Lutz, take bow. You done good.
Mary Barra, Mark Reuss, don't take a bow, you have done ****house.
Really doesn’t bother me either way, Holden had no plan B, ZB failed as we all expected and the rest followed.
Old 07-01-2024, 07:30 PM   #108
prydey
Rob

Quote:

If you buy the FBT exempt EV, rather than the FBT exempt Thailand Special you cause issues claiming other entitlements.

There's no 'outrage' here, drive what you want, but the market is being influenced by government policy and you can't deny it,

Your argument is based on vehicle pricing staying the same if incentives were removed or changed.

History shows that any rebates on any product affect the product price, and when those rebates end, the product price comes back down. LPG conversions, rainwater tanks, solar panels.. Etcetc.

Rather than look at sales of utes prior to incentives, look at the pricing structure.

Remove incentives and a lot less people will pay $60-80k for a ute. Chances are magically ute prices would also fall.

I just don't buy the notion that ute sales would become obsolete like some are inferring.
Old 09-01-2024, 08:53 AM   #109
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2024-01-...vene/103287604
Old 09-01-2024, 09:02 AM   #110
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
Wow, an ABC story which has no mention from the Garvan Institute.

Old 09-01-2024, 11:23 AM   #111
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/busi...-loading-zones
Error in that article about loading zone use, you can't park in a loading zone in Victoria using the spot as short term parking even if driving a ute....unless...

Quote:
Designing loading zones
Loading zones are provided to allow the pick up or delivery of loads or people close to their destination. They are not provided for short term parking.

What are they all about?
You can stop in a loading zone for up to 30 minutes (or as otherwise signed) if you are dropping off, or picking up goods or passengers and meet the following conditions.

People carrying goods must drive a:
  • goods-carrying vehicle
  • courier or signed delivery vehicle
  • truck which is dropping off or picking up goods

People carrying passengers must drive a:
  • bus or vehicle which has seating positions for 10, 11 or 12 adults (including the driver) that is being used to carry passengers for hire or reward
  • public bus
  • licensed commercial passenger vehicles such as taxis, hire cars or other special purpose vehicles
Other drivers must not stop in a loading zone, even if loading or unloading.
So even a tradie with legitimate work use, cannot stay in a loading zone outside the limits/restrictions above and would need dispensation/a temporary parking permit from council.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2024, 11:28 AM   #112
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
Error in that article .
Fact checking is a thing of the past for most 'story writers' these days.

The 'big car' story is just the latest to gain traction amongst those minority groups that think they are a majority because they reside in an echo chamber.
Old 09-01-2024, 02:14 PM   #113
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t know that we have anything to worry about on a federal level from these people. The Libs won an election by scaring people into believing Labor was taking away their SUV’s and the weekends away. This message was one of their biggest cut through from that campaign. I doubt Albo will take this on.

State level, who knows. We have no opposition in Victoria.
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2024, 03:05 PM   #114
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: VFACTS Dec 2023 and full year

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamz Ghia View Post
State level, who knows. We have no opposition in Victoria.
You've got no proper Government either. Just sayin'.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2024, 03:35 PM   #115
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
You've got no proper Government either. Just sayin'.

Dr Terry
Just like QLD.

2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2024, 04:13 PM   #116
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/busi...-loading-zones
Error in that article about loading zone use, you can't park in a loading zone in Victoria using the spot as short term parking even if driving a ute....unless...

So even a tradie with legitimate work use, cannot stay in a loading zone outside the limits/restrictions above and would need dispensation/a temporary parking permit from council.
Years ago the registration label (remember them?) had either Private or Commercial printed on them. You actually paid a different rate for commercial.
You had to be commercially registered to park in a loading zone
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 09-01-2024, 05:06 PM   #117
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Fact checking is a thing of the past for most 'story writers' these days.

The 'big car' story is just the latest to gain traction amongst those minority groups that think they are a majority because they reside in an echo chamber.
Problem is that minority is disproportionately powerful
Old 09-01-2024, 05:27 PM   #118
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Years ago the registration label (remember them?) had either Private or Commercial printed on them. You actually paid a different rate for commercial.
You had to be commercially registered to park in a loading zone
Yes I do remember very well, those that were lazy just kept adding the new rego label above/below/around the expired one...

Our local council has gone to electronic beach parking permits so you have to register your car with the council. The parking officer has to enter in the rego plate of every parked car (or maybe scan it) to confirm the car is legally parked whereas before a 5 second peek at a windscreen sticker would indicate yay or nay...plus now some will park illegally and gamble being booked.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 09-01-2024 at 05:32 PM.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post