Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 03-01-2024, 05:11 PM   #31
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Victorian Road Toll - 2023 Worst year for road deaths since 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yes, their parents.

Trevor, deadly serious.
It's been over 23 years since I worked as a drivet trainer, and longer than since I taught a L plater to licence stage, but thanks for thinking of me. I tend to stay out of those debates these days
Old 03-01-2024, 05:19 PM   #32
Trevor 57
is now there

But I will say, and as far as I am aware car driver licensing is still done by a State Authorities in every State and Territory, different for heavy vehicle and motorcycle.

So regardless of who teaches a learner there is still a mimimum State/Territory standard that has to be achieved.

Whilst some are focussing on the person teaching but the ultimate responsibility for issuing a car licence sits with the Licensing Authority. Look there if there if there is a problem

And yes, I have sat through a Coroners Court case of the death of a person in a heavy vehicle crash where the VicRoads licence tester was absolutely grilled by lawyers about the licence test
Old 03-01-2024, 06:17 PM   #33
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
It's been over 23 years since I worked as a drivet trainer, and longer than since I taught a L plater to licence stage
I just took both my daughters through to Ps in Vic. Eldest was at the end of Covid shutdown, so that was a real struggle getting the 120 hours in, and the youngest just passed her test last August. Both girls had a couple of instructor lessons paid for by nan, but the majority of the time in the car was with me. One of the things that really surprised me was that crossing arms is now allowed! Back in the stone ages, that was a massive fail.

Also - neither girl had to perform an emergency stop in the test. Maybe that explains a few rear-enders? (BTW they both did practise the stop with me )
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 06:23 PM   #34
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
I just took both my daughters through to Ps in Vic. Eldest was at the end of Covid shutdown, so that was a real struggle getting the 120 hours in, and the youngest just passed her test last August. Both girls had a couple of instructor lessons paid for by nan, but the majority of the time in the car was with me. One of the things that really surprised me was that crossing arms is now allowed! Back in the stone ages, that was a massive fail.

Also - neither girl had to perform an emergency stop in the test. Maybe that explains a few rear-enders? (BTW they both did practise the stop with me )
Mine was drive around Sunbury for 50 minutes, they gave me the 3 point turn instead of the parallel park - that was in 2010.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 06:40 PM   #35
Trevor 57
is now there

50 minutes is long test, I think they are either a 20 or 30 minute test now

Mind you, back in 1975 when I got mine at the Cowes Police Station, I did 3 right turns, the policeman (not my dad) took me to a local garage to look at a car that 3 local kids had died in the night before, then back to the Station, no reverse park, no handbrake start, no 3 point turn, just a drive to the garage and back. My dad had my licence written up for me when I got back

I always laugh (and challenge) at old people when they whinge about young people and how they get their licences. I ask them how they got theirs, funny how they shut up straight away and then smile

My point received loud and clear lol
Old 03-01-2024, 06:42 PM   #36
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
What was your “trigger” for the stop? Just curious - have seen a few ways.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 06:46 PM   #37
Trevor 57
is now there

I taught all my 4 kids emergency stopping, I also took them on rural roads up to 100km/h and got them to put 2 wheels in the gravel on the side, then got them to gently steer it back, emphasising that there is no need to panic if they drop off the side of the road.

So many roll their cars over-correcting in that situation
Old 03-01-2024, 07:31 PM   #38
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
One of the things that really surprised me was that crossing arms is now allowed! Back in the stone ages, that was a massive fail.
That is a big surprise.
I thought the hand shuffle was the only allowable method now.
When I queried that with one of my learner driver grandsons, he had been told that air bags had made the crossed arm method dangerous.
I still do the crossed arms, so maybe one day I will get a face full of elbows.
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 07:55 PM   #39
Trevor 57
is now there

Learners are not required to do pull-push steering on a licence test
Old 03-01-2024, 08:45 PM   #40
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
True, but are harsher laws actually going to change that? I can’t see it making much difference to people who habitually drive unlicensed and have no great respect for the rules generally. If they are significant contributors to the road toll (whether by killing themselves or causing deaths of others) then the law-making approach is doomed to failure.
Agree. Stricter rules only affect those who already do the right thing.

Bringing in additional rules is pointless if you are trying to punish those who break the rules.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:51 PM   #41
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
it's not so much the paid instruction, but 120 hours, while it may seem a good idea, is absolutely reliant on those 120 hours being with a decent supervising driver. There is anecdotal evidence that many Learners spend 120 hours doing the same route to school and the shops every week, and not getting the experience of different conditions they really need.
120 Hrs?

You are solo in a plane after 7-20 hours of dual instruction.
(although much fewer ****heads up there)

That's dumber then loosing your newly acquired P license in SA if caught doing 110 in a 110 zone twice in 2-3 years..

I'd have the kid "drive" Melbourne to Darwin and back if its 120 hrs in a log book.

Its the mobile phone attention that worries me, not lots of log book time.

Last edited by 383hq; 03-01-2024 at 08:58 PM.
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2024, 08:53 PM   #42
prydey
Rob

Many of these threads the topic often turns to driving standards and then to current licensing.

Well, I do my fair share of driving around as well and from what I see, is not the young kids driving like idiots or disregarding road rules etc...

90% of failure to indicate would be older people... Impatience and lack of tolerance is also largely exhibited by those more experienced.

I think the younger crowd get singled out unfairly. I don't think feature any more or less than any other age group. And it's certainly not easier to get your licence now. My old man drove to the cop shop, drove the cop around the block and got given his licence. Many of his era tell similar stories.
Old 03-01-2024, 08:54 PM   #43
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
it's not so much the paid instruction, but 120 hours, while it may seem a good idea, is absolutely reliant on those 120 hours being with a decent supervising driver. There is anecdotal evidence that many Learners spend 120 hours doing the same route to school and the shops every week, and not getting the experience of different conditions they really need.
Agreed 100%.
It is absurd that learners are able to 'learn' their parents bad habits for 100odd hours before they are required to be shown the correct methods of car control by a licensed instructor that'll have them for less than a 10th of that time.
It could and should be the other way round but that would require common sense applied.
Infact I'd suggest that if a learner who undertakes say 10hrs with an instructor prior to commencing the balance of their hours with a friend/relative goes on to fail the test it shows they didnt take on board or continue to practice those correct methods and dont deserve to drive until they do.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:21 PM   #44
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
I think the younger crowd get singled out unfairly. I don't think feature any more or less than any other age group. And it's certainly not easier to get your licence now. My old man drove to the cop shop, drove the cop around the block and got given his licence. Many of his era tell similar stories.
Unfortunately statistice prove you wrong, they do **** loads of things wrong, die in crashes and kill others in crashes
Old 03-01-2024, 09:23 PM   #45
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Agreed 100%.
It is absurd that learners are able to 'learn' their parents bad habits for 100odd hours before they are required to be shown the correct methods of car control by a licensed instructor that'll have them for less than a 10th of that time.
It could and should be the other way round but that would require common sense applied.
Infact I'd suggest that if a learner who undertakes say 10hrs with an instructor prior to commencing the balance of their hours with a friend/relative goes on to fail the test it shows they didnt take on board or continue to practice those correct methods and dont deserve to drive until they do.
After being an insider for 13 years as part of licensing regime, VicRoads was never in favour of 'forced learning', although they did mandate it for a while but backed down when pressure was exerted from external forces

I can't comment on other States
Old 03-01-2024, 09:37 PM   #46
Ford17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wonder how much correlation there is between this and the roads filling up with 4wd utes?
Ford17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:38 PM   #47
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Unfortunately statistice prove you wrong, they do **** loads of things wrong, die in crashes and kill others in crashes
What do the statistics prove?

Are these the same statistics that 'prove' speed kills?

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

I stand by my comments.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:42 PM   #48
Trevor 57
is now there

Traffic convictions

I never took you for a conspiracy theorist
Old 03-01-2024, 09:46 PM   #49
jgmdat

Do any of the driving instructors teach keep left unless overtaking? That could eliminate a decent amount of the issues on the road.
jgmdat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2024, 09:51 PM   #50
ToryMikey

Could any of this be down to the absolutely horrendous state of Victorian country roads? And how things are *still* not fixed after the October 2022 flooding?
1997 BMW E36 318i manual - Alpine White
ToryMikey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2024, 09:52 PM   #51
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
Do any of the driving instructors teach keep left unless overtaking? That could eliminate a decent amount of the issues on the road.
I agree it's an issue, but rarely is there an L or P plate in sight.
Old 03-01-2024, 09:53 PM   #52
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Many of these threads the topic often turns to driving standards and then to current licensing.

Well, I do my fair share of driving around as well and from what I see, is not the young kids driving like idiots or disregarding road rules etc...

90% of failure to indicate would be older people... Impatience and lack of tolerance is also largely exhibited by those more experienced.

Come to Melbourne; you may change your tune.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2024, 10:59 PM   #53
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't worry fellas. Give it another few years, and AI cameras will be able to tell if someone has no idea how to drive, and have their cars disabled. Road toll will be zero.

AI cameras can already detect fatigued, distracted and, I think, intoxicated drivers.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2024, 11:02 PM   #54
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Don't worry fellas. Give it another few years, and AI cameras will be able to tell if someone has no idea how to drive, and have their cars disabled. Road toll will be zero.

AI cameras can already detect fatigued, distracted and, I think, intoxicated drivers.
Hahaha, go talk to truck drivers and see what they think of them, if they were introduced to everyone no one will be driving.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2024, 12:41 AM   #55
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Traffic convictions
VIC Magistrates also frown upon the 18-25 year old male cohort when they come through court on driving convictions.

There was a few of us going through together on driving offences, me with the highest score on the board

The guy who got done for 29 over got torn a new ******* by the magistrate, who was quite nice to me, solely because of his age falling in that 18-25 cohort, what he did was tame AF.

Road he got done on used to be 100, was recently reduced to 80km/h, he got done at 109 at around 1AM - super tame offence, he lawyered up, was dressed nice.

Magistrate tore him a new rectum, she went off her head about young men killing everyone else on the roads and speed being the biggest killer

The local drug dealer got treated way better than the kid on the 29 over in the 80 zone.

I got the rough end of the pineapple by the second magistrate when I had to get in the witness box when it came time to apply for my licence again.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-01-2024 at 12:47 AM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2024, 01:48 AM   #56
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Come to Melbourne; you may change your tune.
Given statistics were mentioned earlier as a reliable metric, statistically more people over 25 die on the road than those under 25. Of course you can break it down in to age brackets and then analyse which ones might be over represented etc etc but that wasn't my point. My point is, on sheer volume, I see far more older drivers (open licence) being idiots and breaking laws than those P plate level or younger.
Old 04-01-2024, 06:11 AM   #57
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgmdat View Post
In Victoria it is only a legal requirement to 'keep left when overtaking' where there is a sign advising that

However there it used to be written in the road law that vehicles had to keep as near left as possible, but that was before we went with the National Road Rules agenda back in 1999 so I am not sure now, I left that life in 2000
Old 04-01-2024, 07:57 AM   #58
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
50 minutes is long test, I think they are either a 20 or 30 minute test now

Mind you, back in 1975 when I got mine at the Cowes Police Station, I did 3 right turns, the policeman (not my dad) took me to a local garage to look at a car that 3 local kids had died in the night before, then back to the Station, no reverse park, no handbrake start, no 3 point turn, just a drive to the garage and back. My dad had my licence written up for me when I got back

I always laugh (and challenge) at old people when they whinge about young people and how they get their licences. I ask them how they got theirs, funny how they shut up straight away and then smile

My point received loud and clear lol
You know you're doing well when the examiner takes you out longer than 10 mins. If its more than 20 mins, then they are trying to catch you out, according to my instructor att but then he was the barst*rd who directed me straight out onto busy Pennant Hills rd in $ydney for an hour each week.

Sort of glad he did now.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2024, 08:58 AM   #59
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
In Victoria it is only a legal requirement to 'keep left when overtaking' where there is a sign advising that

However there it used to be written in the road law that vehicles had to keep as near left as possible, but that was before we went with the National Road Rules agenda back in 1999 so I am not sure now, I left that life in 2000
That's wrong, trev.

130 - Keeping to the left on a multi-lane road

Keeping left
When driving on any multi-lane road with a speed limit over 80km/h, you must keep out of the right lane unless:

you are overtaking or turning right, or
all lanes are congested.
If the right lane is a transit lane, this rule applies to the lane immediately to the left of the transit lane.

From the vicroads website here https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safe...rules/freeways

Altho I'm not quite sure why they have this detail under the heading 'freeways' when it applies to any multi-lane roads over 80. Plenty of roads over 80 that aren't freeway.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor

Last edited by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0; 04-01-2024 at 09:18 AM.
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-01-2024, 09:33 AM   #60
Trevor 57
is now there

I can't remember there being mention of a speed limited area when I responded to the post. I could be wrong on that point, but I doubt it