Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 01-01-2024, 04:53 PM   #1
XPFalcon1966
Starter Motor

Smile Early falcon drum brake booster.

Hi
I am new to this forum.
Does anybody know how early falcon vh44 brakes boosters work?
Are they any good?
Any information would be very much appreciated.
No falcon worries
Darryl
XPFalcon1966 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2024, 05:06 PM   #2
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 
Default Re: Early falcon drum brake booster.

Hi. With drums all round the line from the master cyl went to the booster and then to the multi way fitting to all the wheel cyls. If it had disc brakes the brake lines split at the master cyl with one line going to the rear brakes and the other going to the booster and then from the booster to the front brakes. By todays standards it is nothing special but in its day it was quite good. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2024, 05:23 PM   #3
XPFalcon1966
Starter Motor

Thanks heaps Michael.
I have 14 inch rims that suit drums only so I don’t want to go discs.
The brakes aren’t fabulous and hoping to improve them a bit.
You need to be Arnold Swartzenger to jump on the brakes to pull it up.
Is it complex to add a booster?
Cheers Darryl
Old 01-01-2024, 06:02 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’d suggest a few things, they aren’t original but are reversible and aid safety.

First consideration should be a split circuit master cylinder. That will near eliminate the risk of complete brake failure.

From there, consider some aftermarket steel rims in 15” size. You’ll have to likely improvise fitting of the original type hubcaps but in return get a good choice of more modern tyres at fair prices.

The final change would be a disc brake and booster conversion, whether by adaptation or sourcing original parts. Sorting wheels as described above, will allow this without physical interference between brake/rim. People who haven’t experienced drum brake fade (with heat) may not be prepared for it when problems arise - hence the idea of fitting discs.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2024, 11:23 PM   #5
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XPFalcon1966 View Post
Thanks heaps Michael.
I have 14 inch rims that suit drums only so I don’t want to go discs.
The brakes aren’t fabulous and hoping to improve them a bit.
You need to be Arnold Swartzenger to jump on the brakes to pull it up.
Is it complex to add a booster?
Cheers Darryl
Hi. Are they a 4 stud or 5 stud wheel? Its been a long time since I did any thing on a pre 65 falcon but I thought that 14 inch wheels were 5 stud which means XA to XF discs will fit. If they are 4 stud then talk to hoppers stoppers, I think they do a kit that will fit. Its then just a case of adapting a tandem master cyl and just boost the front brakes. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
Old 02-01-2024, 12:59 AM   #6
oldgringo

The easiest and less invasive option is to fit either a 1966 Drum/Drum power booster to the firewall. There may be mounting grommets in place. The 66 USA falcon had the power brake option.
The other option is to visit a brake part seller - in WA it wood be Perth Brake Parts, who will match a brake booster and proportioning valve to suit.

Power assisted Drum Brakes can be awesome if set up correctly.

You may be able to use the brake booster from a 1971 - 1974 Holden HQ which were fitted fitted with a power assisted 4 wheel drum brakes.

Front Disc can be fitted in a 14 inch rim. The Holden Torana was fitted with disc/disc or disc/drum.
oldgringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2024, 11:11 AM   #7
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
The easiest and less invasive option is to fit either a 1966 Drum/Drum power booster to the firewall. There may be mounting grommets in place. The 66 USA falcon had the power brake option.
The other option is to visit a brake part seller - in WA it wood be Perth Brake Parts, who will match a brake booster and proportioning valve to suit.

Power assisted Drum Brakes can be awesome if set up correctly.

You may be able to use the brake booster from a 1971 - 1974 Holden HQ which were fitted fitted with a power assisted 4 wheel drum brakes.

Front Disc can be fitted in a 14 inch rim. The Holden Torana was fitted with disc/disc or disc/drum.
Hi. Power assisted drum brakes will still fade after a few hard stops. Not enough room on the firewall for a large diameter mastervac setup and not enough clearance to the shock tower for a small diameter but long mastervac on any of the early birds until the XY/XW falcons. The 14 inch wheel size isn't the problem but matching the stud pattern with the rear axle can be, XA to XF front brakes will fit and match the rear axle if it is 5 stud and fit under 14 inch wheels but it all needs to be custom made to have a 4 stud setup or to fit under 13 inch wheels like most early birds had. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

Old 02-01-2024, 06:06 PM   #8
GXA
Donating Member
Donating Member2

My first car was an XP wagon with 4 wheel drum brakes.
Hit the brakes hard at 70mph and they were cooked by 40mph....frightening...
A booster will only mask, not fix, their inadequacies.
I'd be seriously looking at a disc conversion, as suggested.

2008 FG GT-E - Lightning Strike
2007 BFII Fairmont Ghia - Seduce
2007 BFII Falcon ES - Ego
GXA is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2024, 06:12 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

This thread made me realise I’ve got everything for an XP four stud disc conversion with factory disc spindles. Can’t see myself using it on a B-series!
Old 07-01-2024, 12:15 PM   #10
XPFalcon1966
Starter Motor

Smile Re: Early falcon drum brake booster.

Hi
That sounds awesome!
I just need to check that my rims will clear the discs. Can you tell by a photo?
I’m in Melbourne but I have a friend that could pick them up in Sydney.
What exactly would I need and would you be prepared to sell them?
Cheers Darryl
Old 07-01-2024, 12:24 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

They won’t be cheap, I will forewarn you. Haven’t seen another set for sale in ages, so it’s hard to cite a price right now. The principal benefit is ease of fitting and no need for certified (engineered) chassis components.

As to clearance I’ll have to put a caliper on the spindle and measure the radial distance. Can do that later - at the present my yard is full of angry bees and they need a few hours to calm down before I go to the garage.