Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-02-2024, 10:31 AM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Replacing an ignition key barrel questions.

So while my daughter was away learning how to fight fires as part of her Rangers job, some low life tried to steal her 07 Suzuki Swift.
Smashed all the plastic around the ignition, pulled out a plug or something as well.
The ignition barrel is still in place, but the key won't go in because it's had a screw driver jammed in I'm guessing to try and start it.
I'm going to get a replacement barrel from a wrecker, sorry, dismantler.
Question 1 is, will the car recognise the new ignition barrel and 2, will I have to somehow reprogram the key fob so the lock/unlock buttons will work.

I'm guessing that ring that's been pulled away from the barrel is the key reader for the immobiliser?

Old 20-02-2024, 10:36 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Replacing an ignition key barrel questions.

Have you checked price and lead time for a VIN-matched ignition barrel from Suzuki? Or a “locksmith to configure” set?

Else you’ll probably need a copy made of the “new” key, and have the copy fitted with a chip cloned from the old key.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2024, 10:50 AM   #3
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Howd I know you'd be first to reply CB.
No and no.
Unfortunately she lives up north in Karratha, so I'll have to organise stuff down here.
There maybe a locksmith in town.
One guy selling a key and barrel on eBay, and he's also selling the ECM with it.
Hadn't thought of that.

Apparently there is a locksmith in town, I've sent her the link.
First port of call to see what we're dealing with.

Last edited by jaydee; 20-02-2024 at 11:12 AM.
jaydee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2024, 11:11 AM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

By 07 it may be a mess to start swapping modules. You’re better off bullying the replacement parts to work with what is already fitted.

It could even be that your locksmith can re-key the replacement barrel to match your original key, as he has a suitable key to assist in dismantling it.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-02-2024, 11:17 AM   #5
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

All you need to do is pull the chip from her original key and fit it to the new key, or hang the old key from the same keyring close to the reader as its the chip its looking for not the actual key.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2024, 03:01 PM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, good to now joker.
Have found a guy in town who knows how to sort it hopefully.
Apparently same thing happened to a Golf down the road and he fixed that.