Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 01-08-2007, 11:53 AM   #1
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Default Whats the best Direction

so...

Was just reading FFOC.co.uk and considering that im not going to pay to be able to POST, i thought it best to start a convo on here and hope to god thouse who actually do pay know what im on about

Whats the best route to go down when say modding an ST170

Okay so far from what iver read on FFOC
for NA mods are:

Panel Filter = $60us
Underdrive Pulley = $110us
Throttlebody = $400us
full exhaust system? $1200us
Dreamscience and a custom tune = $700us
i read someware about an exhaust camgear but not sure if that applies to the ST170 as it has VVT?

200-210hp = $2470US

but then there is the Forced Induction side.

Powerworks Supercharger Kit = 270hp for say 6-7g installed

so what are you views and points on this.

Dont give me FI for the sake of going FI.

i want to know whats viably possible and best bang for your buck

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 12:37 PM   #2
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

From what i have read about ST170's they are a nicely balanced car (handling wise)

There is something about a high reving NA car that attracts me. I have never driven an ST170 nor do i act as though i know alot about them.

But in my limited experience with naturally aspirated cars, spending the money can sometimes not be worth the limited results.

If it were me, i probably wouldnt turbocharge or supercharge a car which wasnt designed to handle it from the factory.

2,400 is alot to spend on a few kw and very possibly loss of low rpm driveability.

6-7 thousand is an silly amount of money to spend on a car, because you will then have to think about all the other components and whether they can stand the extra poke. Brakes, gearbox, clutch, engine etc
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 12:53 PM   #3
photn
AFF Post NAZI

See thats what im weighing up.. supercharge and you get all nice power and that. but what would the strain be on the engine and how would it affect other parts of the car.

or go NA and get a less power but spend about half.

Mitch. the ST170 has VVT, and you cant change the cams on ST170 due to the VVT. FYI.

Old 01-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #4
mitch_lx
Candy White GTI

Maybe i should go ahead and throw a spanner in the works.

Have you considered looking for a VTI-R Honda Civic?

The coupes look absolutely stunning, they are well built and the motors will last forever.

Hundreds of parts are available for them and an exhaust and airfilter will get you quite a fast little car
Candy White, Anthracite heated Sports leather seats w/ Red stitching.Tinted Windows, Eibach Pro-Kit springs,Whiteline Front/Rear adjustable sway bars,Cupra R intake, Forge Turbo Inlet pipe,BMC panel filter, APR stage one flash,
Dunlop SP sport MAXX, Forge Polished upper front strut brace. 3'' downpipe and highflow cat

Loads of fun :
mitch_lx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 01:21 PM   #5
Piotr
Non-Regular Member

Well step 1 would be buy the car wouldn't it?

A good person to talk to would be Marc (BlueSt170). He has done a few mods to his ST170 and it goes very well around Wakefield.

Focus RS bodykit = ~$3000
Focus RS manifold = $550
JJR 280Turbo = $650
Other Stuff = $????
Having a Focus RS replica = Priceless
Piotr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 01:38 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Thanks mitch. but id love to stay FORD

Old 01-08-2007, 02:25 PM   #7
whippet_zetec
Supes

if you are looking at all those mods why not just jimmy up the cash for the XR5T?? make a bit more sense to me that getting an ST170 thats probably been well used and then spending a bomb of cash modding it up to something that will still be well below the XR5T overall performance (not just power, but handling, ongoing mechanical issues).
Old 01-08-2007, 03:35 PM   #8
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Link

And Pie that has me thinking lolz.

Last edited by photn; 01-08-2007 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-08-2007, 04:37 PM   #9
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Personally, wouldn't bother with Panel Filter, underdrive pulley or throttle body. Maybe exhaust, but don't change header....it''s a Cosworth design and I haven't heard of anything better. Therefore I just saved you $1k

Dreamscience tune would be worth the money and will wake it up further. A really good N/A car

If you want insane power, but very driveable (ie no turbo lag), then go straight to Powerworks. Probably best bang for the buck.

Then a respray in a different colour to be totally unique!!!!
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 06:29 PM   #10
FRA
Mr Focus

Go Here
http://www.focussport.com/supercharger.htm
$2,999.95US for Zetec only manual and auto only. 220 hp at 7000 RPM at the wheels
180 lb-ft of torque at 4500 RPM at the wheels.

$4,500.00US for SVT/St170. 251 bhp at 7000 RPM, and 210 pound per feet of torque on the engine dyno.

The Zetec has alot more engine mod's then what the SVT has.
31Hp less then the SVT and a saving of $1504.05US for this kit.

What I am trying to say is don't waste your time with the SVT and get an Zetec and get the FR CNC'D head and Stage 3 cams with the supercharger kit it'll be a total monster.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:41 PM   #11
photn
AFF Post NAZI

True it will be a total monster.. but completely undrivable.

Old 01-08-2007, 10:41 PM   #12
FRA
Mr Focus

It won't be that bad to drive.
For the same price as a 2nd hand SVT you can buy a new Focus Duratec 05-06 model and mod it with all Cosworth parts.
It'll make the XR5 look like a skirt I kid you not, I have seen the dyno read out for the 2.3L Duratec in my Cosworth book when I brought the header.
Cosworth have made alot of 2.0L engine parts as well.
XR5 $36,490 plus on the road and the CL RRP from $19,990 and the LX RRP from $23,990 Plus on road cost.
My point is
your saving yourself "AROUND" $10,000 to $15,000 over the XR5 and all the money you have saved you can buy all the parts you need and you still have change left over.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2007, 11:22 PM   #13
photn
AFF Post NAZI

well i dont have 35g to spend.

hence why i was talking about the st170 which is about 20g then slowly modding

Old 02-08-2007, 02:19 AM   #14
Blue_ST170

I don’t know about the big mods but in my opinion the ST170 is such a beautifully balanced car that I wouldn’t go overpowering it.

At the moment ive got a Bluefin stage 2, k&n panel filter, custom extractors and a high flow cat. It gives it around 200hp and I wouldn’t want to much more because overpower the front wheels.

Also done ebc turbo rotors and new pads and got our race mechanics to fiddle with the suspension adding a bit of camber and a few other things.

The only other mods I would do is a suspension upgrade and an exhaust because in the end its still a road car for me.

Anyway I’m selling my car as my new one arrives this month. After 23 grand with all the mods or 24 and ill throw in a Supersprint exhaust and $500 free servicing. Its only done 36,000km and has a full service history.

........anyway pm me if u want to know anything else or if u wanna come drive the car

Saving for: cat-back exhaust
Blue_ST170 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2007, 11:29 PM   #15
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
Mitch. the ST170 has VVT, and you cant change the cams on ST170 due to the VVT. FYI.
Sorry Sean, you can actually use a Camgear on the exhaust cam on an ST170
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2007, 02:40 PM   #16
#Russ#Es#
Hello Koni's!

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: This member has made a few valuable contributions to the Forum in the Focus section, seems to know exactly what he is talking about with his posts, which are helpful and concise. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by photn
well i dont have 35g to spend.

hence why i was talking about the st170 which is about 20g then slowly modding
A secondhand LS Focus could easily be had for under $20,000, especially with the update that has just come out.

An LX with $3000-5000 worth of engine mods and you have a very interesting car!

(P.S. The LS sedans look better though _2: )
Lower airbox removed, K&N Panel filter
Momo gear knob + boot + pedals, Ghia boot garnish, Zetec Chrome interior door handles
JVC KW-XR816 Headunit + more to come...

#Russ#Es# is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post