Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-09-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

Default Xr8 ute too low stock

hi i have a au2 xr8 ute and it is fitted with gas, i got defected for been too low, have put stock springs in the front and it has been defected for still been too low on the back 260mm and needs to be 270mm, its going through again on tusday but only thing i need to do is get 10mm out of the rear leaf springs, and im running out of time, is there any quick way without getting them reset,

125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 04:03 PM   #2
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

isn't it the lowest part of the car has to be 100mm off the ground? (Coke can rule)

edit: Just noticed you're in SA so laws are probs different.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-09-2010, 04:06 PM   #3
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

yer they go center of the wheel to the gard
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 04-09-2010, 05:57 PM   #4
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

yeah, you can get the rear leaf springs reset to a new height
Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
The Monty
Just slidin'

If you have 18's just find some 20's to borrow for it. The bigger diameter rim should put you over. And being only 2 inches bigger than standard, you should be ok, as long as they are load rated preoperly.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #6
wesomc

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
isn't it the lowest part of the car has to be 100mm off the ground? (Coke can rule)

edit: Just noticed you're in SA so laws are probs different.
Looked up this last time the motorbike cops were in town defecting everyone and the transport SA website lists the rules on ride height as pretty much being 100mm min clearance at lowest point between front and rear wheels and a few other common sense bits and pieces.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...ide_Height.PDF

Wes

Marine Blue EBII XR8 - GT40p's, Paceys, 3in mandrel bent exhaust, Explorer Manifold, YT 1.72 RR's, 65mm TB, 75mm MAF, Thermo's...now manual

1967 Ford Futura coupe 289 C4 stock cruiser
wesomc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:20 AM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
If you have 18's just find some 20's to borrow for it. The bigger diameter rim should put you over. And being only 2 inches bigger than standard, you should be ok, as long as they are load rated preoperly.
The rolling diameter of a 20" rim with tyre and 18" with tyre would be the same within bugger all.

Not sure how to temporarily raise the height of as leaf sprung ute - not without 4 or 5 hours work, anyway (ie replace the leaf springs).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 02:30 AM   #8
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Might be able to use one of the small lowering block ... but on the other side of the leaf pack ... in essence ... raising it.

This might get you out of trouble for a bit .... you should be able to get them relatively easily on eBay.

Either that ... see if you can get some of the smaller packer leaves from a 1-ton leaf pack and utilise them ... I know the lower leaf pack i just bought has a couple in it (I can adjust the height be either putting the packers at the top/bottom of the leaf pack.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 08:38 AM   #9
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Go and grab a set of these.

http://www.ironmandealer.com.au/loadplus.htm
Old 05-09-2010, 09:01 AM   #10
kenz
BOSS Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
The rolling diameter of a 20" rim with tyre and 18" with tyre would be the same within bugger all.
It can sometimes work, when I changed from 18 to 20 it raised my ute about 8-10mm

Blue SY Territory Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAT600
No matter how good the F6 is (and it is damn good), its missing two cylinders.
kenz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:04 AM   #11
The Monty
Just slidin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenz
It can sometimes work, when I changed from 18 to 20 it raised my ute about 8-10mm
Thats my point, get some with some decent sidewall and youll be fine.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty
Thats my point, get some with some decent sidewall and youll be fine.
You would then have the problem of whether the increase in overall diameter is legal.
I'm not sure what that amount is, but you can be sure he'll be picked up on it, if he attempts it.

Best bet is to raise the rear with the spring helpers I provided the link for.
Cheap, and easy to fit. He may also have a use for them later if he carrys a heavy load.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:54 AM   #13
cant
CANT !!!!!!!!

Lose some weight.

Like empty the LPG tank and leave yourself with just enough petrol.

Even drop the LPG tank out for the day ??????

Or, rather than change your leaf pack just change the spring hangers with some "home made" longer ones.....(4 bits of flat plate and 4 bolts, easy ! )

Better to be late, than
VERY LATE !!!! :

YEAH HA !!!!!!!!
cant is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Sox
RIP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cant
Or, rather than change your leaf pack just change the spring hangers with some "home made" longer ones.....(4 bits of flat plate and 4 bolts, easy ! )
Won't be legal.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12 PM   #15
brad`
The Monty

ever thought of just getting the gas tank tanken out for the few hours and get them to refit it? or just run low on gas and petrol will raise the back end a little more, i know if im nearly out of petrol i can fit my hand between the rear guard and tyre but when its got full tank i get tyre in the guard
brad` is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 12:32 PM   #16
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

im trying the fuel thing and have taken the towbar off, got about 5mm to go, might have the tank taken out, as i want to drop it back on its guts after
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
Old 05-09-2010, 01:11 PM   #17
Kamshaaft
Broken eBay Starter Motor

It's factory, engineered and complies with ADR. Surely eb91 can just write a letter to the police and refuse to pay? I can't see how they could make him.
Kamshaaft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 01:21 PM   #18
urbancowboy

I wonder if the poo-poo are using the figures off a standard ute and not a XR series ute as i know the XR's are lower than the povo pack utes!
urbancowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #19
cedric
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

60psi in your tyres will get another 5mm!!!!!!!! i had the spring helpers on my xr8 ute for carring loads they work a treat and like sox said you will be able to raise your ute in the future with them, after you dump it ,if you are towing boat or trailer.
cedric is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 04:28 PM   #20
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by wesomc
Looked up this last time the motorbike cops were in town defecting everyone and the transport SA website lists the rules on ride height as pretty much being 100mm min clearance at lowest point between front and rear wheels and a few other common sense bits and pieces.

http://www.transport.sa.gov.au/pdfs/...ide_Height.PDF

Wes
Just go in and quote this, but make sure it's 100mm from the lowest point which would be the diff housing?
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 PM   #21
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

i have been towing my boat for about a year, since i baught it since i got the xr8 to tow it, and never had an issue with it, its *** was sitting pm king super low rear leaf and lovel superlows in the front, if any thing it is easyer as it gets to prop higher to reverse it up my drive way, as it dosnt catch on lowered cars, regency justs sucks
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend

Last edited by eb91xr6; 05-09-2010 at 07:48 PM.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:08 PM   #22
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

I know someone put up an internet site to browse through over Regency ruling with height. However I can tell you with certainty, the inspectors do use a tape measure from the centre of the rim to the wheel arch, to measure the height. The car is put on a 2 post hoist, so they won't take a measurement from the diff to the ground. Also add in, they don't lie on the ground to take he measurement.

If you are still struggling with that little extra height, definately look at the loadsprings as SOX has suggested. They're worth their weight in gold.

So do it the way they want and you'll get it through. Start arguing with them and they will be real ******.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 PM   #23
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
Just go in and quote this, but make sure it's 100mm from the lowest point which would be the diff housing?
It's not just the 100mm rule any more, there is also a minimum measurement from wheel centre to guard lip. It's not set at XR height as such, but there is a minimum for each model and year. For my car (2001 AU2 XR8), I scraped in by 9mm at the front and 6mm at the rear( or vice versa). And the way my exhaust is, it misses the 100mm rule by a few mm, but because the ride height measurements were OK, they let me off (advantage of age, I guess).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:14 AM   #24
blownv8au
Pro Street Au Ute

what about pump up shocks. I'd like to know how they measure from center of the wheel to guard while its on a 2 post hoist. As i've never seen a 2 poster that picks a car up by the tyres only by pick up points with the wheels hanging free.
blownv8au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-09-2010, 11:49 AM   #25
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

What he said, a pair of air shocks would do it. I have a pair here that came out of a NF Fairlane you can have cheap if they fit. They only did about 8000kms before the car was written off and they were removed so they're pretty much as new.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post