Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-01-2023, 02:44 PM   #1
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default The Thailand Special Thread - New Developments/News

Thought this could be a place to keep all the new Thailand Special developments and news in one place, rather than a thread per vehicle for other entrants into the market - things that are on the radar for our market in the near future.

Starting off with a Chinese EV Thailand Special

Quote:
Radar RD6 2023 Review – International

The Radar RD6 electric ute is well placed to spearhead Chinese auto giant Geely’s wide-ranging assault on the Australian market

At launch, the 2023 Radar RD6 is powered by a single e-motor driving the rear wheels and producing 200kW and 384Nm of torque.

Although the integrated tow hook won’t start delivery until March 2023, towing capacity for the RD6 is rated at 2500kg in China. The dual-cab can also supply 12V power to the trailer.

Payload is more of an issue at just 430kg, which drops further to 400kg on the 100kWh battery version.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...tional-139044/

Also the Kia ute everyone has been banging on about for what seems like a decade is also making the rumor mill churn out crap again:

Quote:
First Kia ute expected by 2025

Kia Australia says it “will be ready” to attack the lucrative local ute market; big volume and wide model range expected

It’s not officially confirmed, but Kia’s all-new dual-cab ute seems certain to become available in Australia as soon as 2025.

Images of prototypes under test in Korea are bombarding the internet and Kia Australia is doing nothing to deny its interest in getting hold of the production version as soon as possible.
https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...y-2025-139297/

In the first sentence, right off the bat with 'its not officially confirmed', with the amount of rumors and talk spreading around about this fictional Kia Ute been going on for years now I find it hard to believe its actually going to come here when its finally developed.

Interestingly, the article states Kia is also leaving the 'bottom feeder' market to Toyota to have to themselves, instead targeting the Ranger for higher end sales in this market.

Sounds like its going to be awfully congested at the top end of the Thailand Special market come 2025 if the rumors are actually true.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-02-2023, 08:23 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: The Thailand Special Thread - New Developments/News

Thailand Special shootout + American utes

Old 16-02-2023, 09:08 AM   #3
MustangNicko
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would seriously consider a Kia ute if it came out with the Stinger GT setup
MustangNicko is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 10:22 AM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

To counter the Thais should incl South Africa made Amarok in this.......
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2023, 11:09 AM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangNicko View Post
I would seriously consider a Kia ute if it came out with the Stinger GT setup
Curious to see if they'd sell it in the US market, then it would need an unleaded engine.

Although their 25% tax on utes that aren't made in the US would be prohibitive no doubt.
Old 16-02-2023, 12:39 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota...l-shock-twist/

This is an interesting one. Although i'm very skeptical as to it's validity. They believe Toyota is working on a mild hybrid Hilux that will add a tiny electric motor between engine and gearbox. From previous use of these it might save 0.5 to 1 L per 100 km or so of fuel, so it's stuff all, and if it is only at an early stage then it's still a couple of years away.

With Ford supposedly having their PHEV Ranger ready next year, this is massively embarrassing for Toyota and seems like a huge panic move.

As the article says, they are contemplating if it will actually be damaging for the brand because it's next to useless in doing anything, when your main rival is releasing a much, much more effective hybrid system. It would make them look silly. Especially considering they were hybrid pioneers, yet are so far behind the competition in the ute segment it's not even funny.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2023, 12:57 PM   #7
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Thats hilarious, mild hybrids are such a waste of time, absolute joke.

This is the problem when you sit at the top of the market, you think you can just chug along doing more of the same, until someone else comes out and gives you a reality check
Old 16-02-2023, 01:02 PM   #8
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Thats hilarious, mild hybrids are such a waste of time, absolute joke.

This is the problem when you sit at the top of the market, you think you can just chug along doing more of the same, until someone else comes out and gives you a reality check
Absolutely. The sheep will only keep buying your outdated stuff for so long, but with most of your rivals either having new models, or not far off launching new models, and your's is still nearly 3 years away then you are going to start getting a few punches to the face.

Looks like they are starting to panic.
Old 16-02-2023, 01:44 PM   #9
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

I doubt a company with 20yrs of class leading hybrid technology could only come up with whats been 'unearthed'.
You'll find they are playing it down and will be the ones doing the 'punching' much sooner than their main opposition.
As if they'd go yep, you got us and its crap.

The hilarious part is that 'car' people are swollowing the decoy.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #10
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I doubt a company with 20yrs of class leading hybrid technology could only come up with whats been 'unearthed'.
You'll find they are playing it down and will be the ones doing the 'punching' much sooner than their main opposition.
As if they'd go yep, you got us and its crap.

The hilarious part is that 'car' people are swollowing the decoy.
I wouldn't call anything Toyota does as 'class leading', they may have been 20 years ago but I don't think so now.

Given Toyota has been turning its nose up at EVs and has been doing more of the same for the past 20 years, I'm not sure its so clear cut and dry.

They're slowly making moves but I think when countries like NZ turn around and put huge *** taxes on diesel Thailand Specials it might be an indicator of things to come if they don't pull their finger out.
Old 16-02-2023, 02:01 PM   #11
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
I wouldn't call anything Toyota does as 'class leading', they may have been 20 years ago but I don't think so now.

Given Toyota has been turning its nose up at EVs and has been doing more of the same for the past 20 years, I'm not sure its so clear cut and dry.

They're slowly making moves but I think when countries like NZ turn around and put huge *** taxes on diesel Thailand Specials it might be an indicator of things to come if they don't pull their finger out.
Umm, it says in the article Toyota have been the benchmark in the industry for 20yrs with hybrid technology but you dismiss that whilst taking for gospel that industry insiders' think it will be a poor product from the same article

Very selective of you Franco.
Old 16-02-2023, 02:34 PM   #12
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:

They are miles behind just about everyone. While the Ranger, Triton and Navara will all be launching PHEV's before Toyota even launch their new Hilux in 2025, they are years behind.

They are caught on the hop. While they pioneered hybrids, they sat on their hands in commercial vehicle applications. While others started work on EV's, they sat on their hands and expected hybrids to be good enough. Only now they are realizing they are years behind their opposition in this area too. So they rush one onto market and the wheels literally fall off the thing. Even now Subaru have had to put a stop sell on their version of it, and have stopped production cause guess what, the wheels are still falling off. You can't make this up.
Old 16-02-2023, 02:52 PM   #13
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I reckon Toyota will be squashed globally by china brands, in 10 years their reach will be very different.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-02-2023, 04:11 PM   #14
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Rushed to market with the wheels falling off, is that anything like the DCT Powershift that saw owners stranded and the manufacturer left with a $10m fine...?

But, but, but, DPF something, someth..
Old 16-02-2023, 04:32 PM   #15
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Christ this Toy vs Ford chest puffing is a bit OTT......
I get its great that Ford after all this time in the Rangers cycle has the best product to market finally but lets not get ahead of ourselves yet..
Class leading is a headline but being no1 for as long as they have credit where credit is due even with a exhausted overdue chassis.
When Ford retains No1 for some few years ahead and more then I'll say they have really broken the camels back.
As for mentionning the other wannabeees ie Triton/Novara it no matter how far ahead they are of Toy at this stage, they will always just make up the numbers no more no less.
Mitsu may jump a cog of 3 for its a ok product due to price points and Novara looks great but nothing else in the big picture winning over copious amounts of new customers.
The market has spoken about them whats gonna change in units not alot really.
Even a out dated Hilux will outsell it is all I can see the next couple of years till their new one arrives.

Stuff the rest I'm waiting to find out more about the Amarok haha
4 users like this post:
Old 16-02-2023, 11:38 PM   #16
bungarra

Quote:
Originally Posted by danzvtil View Post
I reckon Toyota will be squashed globally by china brands, in 10 years their reach will be very different.
Or they realise, the Hilux needs a different fuel to dedicated EV or PHEV and going similar path to Kia and Hyundai are working on.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2TwAcB0AgE
bungarra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 12:27 AM   #17
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Talk about tech - have these late new fandoogili Thai utes have heads up display nowadays ?
Wildtrak/Plat/Raptor ?
Old 17-02-2023, 11:40 AM   #18
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Rushed to market with the wheels falling off, is that anything like the DCT Powershift that saw owners stranded and the manufacturer left with a $10m fine...?

But, but, but, DPF something, someth..
I think we should nickname you Newton's Third....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 11:54 AM   #19
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I think we should nickname you Newton's Third....
Meh, I've been called worse by much better to be honest.
Old 17-02-2023, 11:58 AM   #20
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post
I get its great that Ford after all this time in the Rangers cycle has the best product to market finally but lets not get ahead of ourselves yet..
Class leading is a headline but being no1 for as long as they have credit where credit is due even with a exhausted overdue chassis.
When Ford retains No1 for some few years ahead and more then I'll say they have really broken the camels back.
As for mentionning the other wannabeees ie Triton/Novara it no matter how far ahead they are of Toy at this stage, they will always just make up the numbers no more no less.
Mitsu may jump a cog of 3 for its a ok product due to price points and Novara looks great but nothing else in the big picture winning over copious amounts of new customers.
Even a out dated Hilux will outsell it is all I can see the next couple of years till their new one arrives.

You're not wrong about Triton/Navara. Especially Navara. That thing has gone off a cliff and sales are in the toilet. Triton has dropped way off in the last 6 months as well. It sells now on price, but i'd expect a big jump in price for the new one next year, so it will have to sell on merit. It will be bigger to closer match Ranger/Hilux, but it won't have a V6 offering. Navara will be based on it and will follow later in 2024.
Old 17-02-2023, 12:53 PM   #21
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE217 View Post

Are you still driving that 2010 Hilux??

Seriously Ford has had the Hilux for years.... My best mate gets a new SR5 every 18 months (since 2013) and I typically have had a new Ranger every few years for the same period, I just laugh at how Toyota fanboys think they are so great when in reality they are lack lustre buckets of ****.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-02-2023, 01:15 PM   #22
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you challenge a Hilux fanboi they normally accuse the Ford of issues like engine failures transmission rebuilds etc. but when challenged on evidence they go quiet..
In another thread somebody mentioned doing multiple 10 speed rebuilds - BS

Surely Triton only sells on price nobody in their right mind would choose one otherwise
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 01:19 PM   #23
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

Seriously Ford has had the Hilux for years.... My best mate gets a new SR5 every 18 months (since 2013) and I typically have had a new Ranger every few years for the same period, I just laugh at how Toyota fanboys think they are so great when in reality they are lack lustre buckets of ****.
You can say that again.

DXA552 is the alternator part number for anyone still rocking a KUN26R Hilux, no doubt everyone would have done one of those and the VGT actuator on the turbo by now on their 'unbreakable' ****box

Oh and add a set of injectors to the tally too.
Old 17-02-2023, 01:47 PM   #24
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Lets be honest, theres good and bad in any of them.

I had to pick up a new intake manifold for my 3.2 instead of just having the current one cleaned when it goes in for some work next month. As I walked past the Ford service dept I see a PX3 with its engine on the floor and a new one sitting next to it ready to go in, didnt make me want to sell mine as I love it, **** happens.
Old 17-02-2023, 01:51 PM   #25
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
When you challenge a Hilux fanboi they normally accuse the Ford of issues like engine failures transmission rebuilds etc. but when challenged on evidence they go quiet..
In another thread somebody mentioned doing multiple 10 speed rebuilds - BS

Surely Triton only sells on price nobody in their right mind would choose one otherwise
They are almost as cult like as Tesla owners.

I still laugh at the story about how Ford engineers made regular visits to the Hilux owners group, before and during the new Rangers development, to get feedback on how they use their vehicles and what they liked and disliked. They showed them photos and they reckon you could see their faces drop. Shattered their world.

The Hilux hasn't been unbreakable for a long time now.
Old 17-02-2023, 03:49 PM   #26
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
They are almost as cult like as Tesla owners.
Almost
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 04:42 PM   #27
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Meh, I've been called worse by much better to be honest.
Sorry, I only did 2nd year Physics...now if you want a Chemistry reference that's different, managed to pinch an honour's degree in that one..
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2023, 05:21 PM   #28
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
You're not wrong about Triton/Navara. Especially Navara. That thing has gone off a cliff and sales are in the toilet. Triton has dropped way off in the last 6 months as well. It sells now on price, but i'd expect a big jump in price for the new one next year, so it will have to sell on merit. It will be bigger to closer match Ranger/Hilux, but it won't have a V6 offering. Navara will be based on it and will follow later in 2024.

In the big picture they are all nothing much - commercials no more no less.
Triton has always sold on price not just recently - been the cheap alternative forever only way they have sales.
Novara always looked promising but utter basket case’s mechanically and drive train.
The top 2 are there for a reason better than the rest that’s it to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 17-02-2023, 05:24 PM   #29
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Was in a late model single cab Triton a couple days ago as a passenger, the access/egress of the passenger side is a bit of a ****, its like the angle where the A pillar joins the roof you've got to crane your neck a bit to get in and out of that ****er with how high the seat sits as you step into the car.

Haven't experienced that before with other Thailand Specials, its a bit halal.

I'm not overly tall either, if you were one of these 6 foot plus gigantors might be a bit nasty on your neck if you were someone like a courier/delivery driver who is in/out of the car every 2 seconds assuming the drivers seat is similar with the access/egress.
Old 17-02-2023, 05:30 PM   #30
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke Pursuit View Post

Seriously mate you have known of me for along time - that’s a puff of the chest post that is uncalled for turn it up.
My experience in the parts game and mechanical world weekly for some 30/40 yrs has me very close to the ground from weekly repairs to wholesale parts sales and 4x4 business’s I deal with.
I do not need to upgrade to every model like some - I have the bonus of being in near on every model companies test mules and go on test days….and have them over weekends at times.
Please spare me you made yourself a goose.

My son has the 2010 Lux for years now still going strong might I add barring the usual service items.
I’m no toy fanboy at all nor am I a ranger one might I add.
The best thing about them in todays world is the practicability nothing else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3 users like this post: