Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 12-09-2008, 11:31 AM   #1
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 
Default Speedo reads when stop at lights

Everynow and then when parked at traffic lights my speedo jumps up, sometimes 40, sometimes 20.

Now i thought the earth's under airbox were partly resposible so i've redone them all, but still prob, also oil gauge is a bit low on reading some times to, anyone know where to look?

Old 12-09-2008, 07:14 PM   #2
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

Mine does the same thing too. Don't know why. I suspect a bad earth,speedo transducer playing up ?

I ignore it..the car keeps going ,the radio drowns out the rattles and I am a very happy ford driver again.

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 07:59 PM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mine used to do this, I cleaned the contacts on the plug that goes into the passenger side of the gearbox, seems to have fixed it (hasn't done it in a year or so). I just unplugged it and sprayed it with WD40 then plugged it back in. Easy.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 08:27 PM   #4
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with sound technical advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: has helped a number of AFF members with their cars, particularly with EEC tuning 

hmmm interesting cause the plug in the side of the gearbox has nothing to do with the speedo, the speedo is at the back with a red covering on the wires. but anyway i'll try cleaning it and see what happens.

Cheers.
Old 12-09-2008, 10:05 PM   #5
sly
Sly like a G6

Mine has done the same for a while. I dread it happening... when I had the cam & chip in, after a few weeks the speedo would start doing this... more & more frequently, then the engine would start going into LHM and eventually the PCM would stop talking to the BEM and the car would have to be towed to a workshop and the PCM reflashed. Once the BEM ended up totally dead when this happened and had to be replaced.

Without the chip on the J3 port, the speedo will occasionally shadow the tacho in Neutral (same as it did before) but the other symptoms don't develop. I've gone 11 months since I last pulled the cam & chip out, and I've resisted the temptation to put them back in... a flash tuner with generic tunes has been like Nicorettes to me In that 11 months the car hasn't missed a beat...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-09-2008, 10:47 PM   #6
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interesting, its funny how things that don't really have anything to do with other parts seem to somehow effect them at times.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:02 PM   #7
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Mine used to do this, I cleaned the contacts on the plug that goes into the passenger side of the gearbox, seems to have fixed it (hasn't done it in a year or so). I just unplugged it and sprayed it with WD40 then plugged it back in. Easy.
Yep, that's what fixed mine when my AU Xr8 was doing the same thing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
sly
Sly like a G6

Is that the plug for the sensor that detects the shift lever position? Mine is full of cow poo...
The Frankenfalcon... AU1.5 Wagon, BA brakes, AU2 booster, BA2 XR6T engine, stock from airbox to turbo, 8psi/98 octane tune 240RWKW, BF XR6T cat, quiet 3" zorst, Pex BSO660 & BSO439 mufflers, 84 db, built BTR box, 3.08 LSD, Emer SVI LPG, AU1 XR8 alloys, Momo wheel, JVC KDR746BT head unit, Aerpro steering wheel control wiring.

Sleeper, anyone?
sly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #9
5.0 ED
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I thought he was talking about the round plug that has all the solonoid wires in it.
Old 14-09-2008, 04:17 PM   #10
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

My AU did it on odd occasions (less after new rebuilt auto went in though) ... mainl in wet weather though.

The new BFII has done it once ... noticed it when idling with handbrake on ... as the warning chime sounded for the "handbrake on when moving" warning.

Hasn't done it since.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post