Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 27-03-2007, 12:01 PM   #1
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Default Slipping auto

The auto in the XR is slipping, only when the car is cold and it only does it once a day. What do you guys reckon? serviceable or go the rebuild (which I should but don't have the $$$ for atm) And could someone remind me why I bought a damn auto :

07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 12:11 PM   #2
james22
With da Warlords

Probably serviceable, when was the last time you done it? And as for why you bought an auto, I dunno you silly bugger. Manuals are so much more fun & $800 for a clutch vs $1500+ for an auto rebuild.

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #3
james22
With da Warlords

P.S, Have you thought about converting to manual? You could do it for a similar price to a rebuild couldn't you? Or would you prefer your auto?

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 27-03-2007, 12:28 PM   #4
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
P.S, Have you thought about converting to manual? You could do it for a similar price to a rebuild couldn't you? Or would you prefer your auto?
If it comes to a rebuild there will be serious consideration given to a conversion. The auto can be good around town but there is just not enough fun in it when I want to get up it. And as for servicing, I wouldn't have a clue when it was last taken to a pro. I have done a couple of filter changes and thrown in the 4 odd litres the pan takes but as for a full flush I haven't a clue. Come to think of it last time I used penrite stuff (don't worry it is the stuff for the BTR) but all other times i've used castrol and never had this problem. Could it be the penrite stuff?
Old 27-03-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
james22
With da Warlords

I doubt the penrite lubricant is causing it, I have heard good things about it. But then again I don't know much about BTR's...

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 27-03-2007, 01:01 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Russ penrite oil is good stuff so I wouldnt worry too much about having it in there.

Im wondering if the events of a few sundays ago could have anything to do with it... py:
Old 27-03-2007, 01:07 PM   #7
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Russ penrite oil is good stuff so I wouldnt worry too much about having it in there.

Im wondering if the events of a few sundays ago could have anything to do with it... py:
Maybe... : I wonder if that half a plastic cog I found on top of the filter really was an issue.
Old 27-03-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

lol Maybe that Manual Changeover is sooner than you think

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 01:38 PM   #9
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
lol Maybe that Manual Changeover is sooner than you think
I'd have to find one first. Where's Whoosha's car? :
Old 27-03-2007, 02:07 PM   #10
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Sounds like low fluid problem to me, but could also be one of the external plugs/solenoids. Mine was not changing gear properly, and I took it to my local transmission place (TTBS). The guy took it for a hit around the block and couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I took him for a spin and managed to get the thing to slip on the last of an 8km "trip". He put it up on the hoist, pulled out the electrical connectors to the box, gave them a blow with compressed air, and a squirt of RP7 and it's never done it again. Total cost = NIL. Good blokes at TTBS.

If you're lucky it will be one of the above.

If not, and you decide to get a rebuild done, get them to install the same valve body/solenoid for 1st gear as used in the T3 autos, and then you can get ESS hooked up and working off the steering wheel controls.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 04:54 PM   #11
Gambit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How would a standard t5 from an xr8 handle the torque your motor has? Ford used a different box behind the 5.6l in the T3/Pursuit 250's for that reason.
Gambit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:13 PM   #12
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gambit
How would a standard t5 from an xr8 handle the torque your motor has? Ford used a different box behind the 5.6l in the T3/Pursuit 250's for that reason.
That's why I'd be after one from a T3. Probably be too hard to get a hold of though.
Old 27-03-2007, 06:27 PM   #13
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Sounds like low fluid problem to me, but could also be one of the external plugs/solenoids. Mine was not changing gear properly, and I took it to my local transmission place (TTBS). The guy took it for a hit around the block and couldn't find anything wrong with it. So I took him for a spin and managed to get the thing to slip on the last of an 8km "trip". He put it up on the hoist, pulled out the electrical connectors to the box, gave them a blow with compressed air, and a squirt of RP7 and it's never done it again. Total cost = NIL. Good blokes at TTBS.

If you're lucky it will be one of the above.

If not, and you decide to get a rebuild done, get them to install the same valve body/solenoid for 1st gear as used in the T3 autos, and then you can get ESS hooked up and working off the steering wheel controls.
That's handy info JC! I think I'll pull the electrical connectors first, use a bit of RP7 and see if there's any change in my dodgy changes.

If no joy, I'll head to fluidrive next week when school holidays start!

Cheers,

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 06:30 PM   #14
JoesAu

my car used to do that but i got it serviced and put a tranns cooler on it seems to be ok now. mine did when it was very cold as wel i'e first 300-400 meters of driving for the first time on the day. It still shifts weird sometimes, hard then spot on smooth, im gonna spray the connectors see if it does anything.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Probably serviceable, when was the last time you done it? And as for why you bought an auto, I dunno you silly bugger. Manuals are so much more fun & $800 for a clutch vs $1500+ for an auto rebuild.
One reason is 2300kg towing as opposed to 1600kg towing ... if you are that way inclined
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-03-2007, 09:34 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
One reason is 2300kg towing as opposed to 1600kg towing ... if you are that way inclined
I do have the 2300kg tow pack.
Old 27-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #17
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
You mean 2300kg vs 1200 kg. The toiw bar may be rated at 1600kg, but the clutch etc is only rated to tow 1200kg. Page 42 of the handbook (or thereabouts).
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 28-03-2007, 08:19 AM   #18
james22
With da Warlords

I've towed way more than 1200kg in the manual, car handled it fine. Except for the braking part that was scary (trailer decided to try and shunt me onto the hwy).

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 28-03-2007, 08:27 AM   #19
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I've towed way more than 1200kg in the manual, car handled it fine. Except for the braking part that was scary (trailer decided to try and shunt me onto the hwy).
.. and I've towed more than 2300kg with my auto too. But back to the topic .. JC sounds on the ball (as usual); fluid or solenoids.
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:45 AM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
I guess that's because there was no electronic brake controller in the car at the time ... you're lucky you pulled it up in time ... otherwise if in an accident ... you would have had no insurance.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-03-2007, 09:55 AM   #21
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
I guess that's because there was no electronic brake controller in the car at the time ... you're lucky you pulled it up in time ... otherwise if in an accident ... you would have had no insurance.
Sorry redxr347 for taking off topic.

Mechan1k, yeah I realise. It literally scared the crap outta me. Nearly pushed me in front of a semi. I soon realised to brake earlier and more gently. It all happened in the last few metres of braking. The trailer sort of pushed the car / kinked it sideways as it pulled up. Lesson learnt + new undies :

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 28-03-2007, 10:11 AM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I know it's an awful feeling ... had a similar feeling in the ute ... except when I had to pull up quick and the brakes locked up on the ute ... and the load behind pushed you even quicker ... Holy crap indeed.

Definitely nice easy and early braking when towing ... hee hee

Oh ... and when it comes to the topic ... I suggest a basic auto service first .. especially after the skid pan day as that may have caused your trans fluid to have gone off a bit (ie: slightly burnt).
Old 28-03-2007, 10:37 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I know it's an awful feeling ... had a similar feeling in the ute ... except when I had to pull up quick and the brakes locked up on the ute ... and the load behind pushed you even quicker ... Holy crap indeed.

Definitely nice easy and early braking when towing ... hee hee

Oh ... and when it comes to the topic ... I suggest a basic auto service first .. especially after the skid pan day as that may have caused your trans fluid to have gone off a bit (ie: slightly burnt).
I've changed the oil in the pan but I think I may get a full flush done.
Old 28-03-2007, 10:40 AM   #24
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Might be an idea ... as a lot of it still stays in the converter ... and in the trans cooler as well. There's a good tutorial on it somewhere ... Jonydep wrote one up on this.
Old 28-03-2007, 11:50 AM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Might be an idea ... as a lot of it still stays in the converter ... and in the trans cooler as well. There's a good tutorial on it somewhere ... Jonydep wrote one up on this.
Any idea on where. FFAU or AUFalcon.com
Old 28-03-2007, 11:53 AM   #26
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

I'll dig it up ... was for the I6 version ... but should be similar to the 8 setup.

Is on AFF ... I think in the Falcons section in Contemporary ... I'll dig it up.
Old 28-03-2007, 11:54 AM   #27
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Here it is:

http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...atic+servicing
Old 28-03-2007, 12:08 PM   #28
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Thanks mate, very helpful.
Old 31-03-2007, 10:18 AM   #29
GK
Walking with God

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
JC, you have done it yet again!

Put the SR up on the ramps, pulled the connectors, found a bit of crud and on the larger plug some blue spots of corrosion. I used the compressed air from my gob (large enough to make lots of pressure!) to blow the crud out, scratched the terminals up a bit with a small screwdriver, applied the RP7 and went for a drive.

I took the same route I travel to work, where the tranny stuffs the 2 to 1st downshift every time. No slips apart from the very first, but I gather the tranny is learning a little. I am very happy about it indeed.

I think you have saved me $450!

JC for PM!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2007, 01:45 AM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
JC, you have done it yet again!

Put the SR up on the ramps, pulled the connectors, found a bit of crud and on the larger plug some blue spots of corrosion. I used the compressed air from my gob (large enough to make lots of pressure!) to blow the crud out, scratched the terminals up a bit with a small screwdriver, applied the RP7 and went for a drive.

I took the same route I travel to work, where the tranny stuffs the 2 to 1st downshift every time. No slips apart from the very first, but I gather the tranny is learning a little. I am very happy about it indeed.

I think you have saved me $450!

JC for PM!

GK
lol - crack me up!!!

No worries GK. What else is AFF for if we can't share our learning/lessons? My commission is only half of what you've saved, BTW! lol.

Happy Easter mate.