Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 25-06-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
whitetdci

Default diesel tuning boxes

Who runs what in regard to tuning boxes? What do they cost? Are they worth it? Do they stuff your engine? has anyone heard or is running a bluespark box?

whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 07:18 PM   #2
shadow69
Starter Motor

Default Re: diesel tuning boxes

I recently bought *****

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-06-2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: Advertising
shadow69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2012, 07:22 PM   #3
whitetdci

Thanks for that. How much did your box cost? Was it a plug and play?
Old 27-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #4
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow69
Edited.
how are your EGTs looking..??

Last edited by Auslandau; 27-06-2012 at 08:46 PM.
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #5
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Whoa, Mr Beige lurking in the Mondeo section.

Looking to stir us Mondy drivers up a bit hey Mitch?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 08:44 PM   #6
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadow69
I recently bought ****
Vested interest much? With 5 post based on the same topic .... sorry but call me Mr. Skeptical.

Yes Riksta ....... lurkers are everywhere.

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #7
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Whoa, Mr Beige lurking in the Mondeo section.

Looking to stir us Mondy drivers up a bit hey Mitch?
i didn't know you could get a VN modeo, rik.
burnz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2012, 10:07 PM   #8
whitetdci

just bought one of these.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/180895411...84.m1423.l2649
not the latest as they said they have a new model out, but this one seems pretty good and the company seems to stack up. Will advise.
Shadow let us know how your fuel consumption goes after you have run it for a while
Old 27-06-2012, 10:10 PM   #9
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auslandau
Vested interest much? With 5 post based on the same topic .... sorry but call me Mr. Skeptical.

Bears consideration Mr Skeptical. Very observant.
Old 27-06-2012, 11:50 PM   #10
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Uh oh, my last hidey hole on the forums has been discovered, guess I better finally go create vncommodore.com now

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
i didn't know you could get a VN modeo, rik.
They're a wonderful variant of the Mondeo, very rare. They came out with rear wheel drive and an open diff to spin up one wheel banana peels at every opportunity. Also, the P-plates were part of the factory-faded paintwork so you didn't need to worry about them falling off.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #11
shadow69
Starter Motor

Quote:

Vested interest how??? i dont sell them. i live in nz and they are made in germany.was just wanting to share my experiences with them for the benefit of all, without negative crap from pepole without mondeos sticking there noses in...jesus last time i will post if it upsets everyone.
shadow69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2012, 05:59 PM   #12
whitetdci

just put in my box and it reduced fuel usage noticeably and the torque was also noticeably improved. was a cr tech box not the MK2 one just the original one
Old 09-07-2012, 10:58 PM   #13
digbc

I am interested in your input on how easy it was to install ,the quality of the unit itself and any thing else relevant as they are only $130au on ebay delivered from the uk .I have just bought a 2008 turbo diesel and am very impressed with the way it goes .I just drove from sydney to the central coast and back and must say the car definitely goes better after a good hwy run (a lot of suburban driving had probably gummed a few things up )
digbc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 12:02 PM   #14
whitetdci

Quote:
Originally Posted by digbc
I am interested in your input on how easy it was to install ,the quality of the unit itself and any thing else relevant as they are only $130au on ebay delivered from the uk .I have just bought a 2008 turbo diesel and am very impressed with the way it goes .I just drove from sydney to the central coast and back and must say the car definitely goes better after a good hwy run (a lot of suburban driving had probably gummed a few things up )
I am very new to the diesel scene and am myself just trying to come to terms with all the nuances. I have definitely noticed improved torque and power and it doesn't blow any smoke whilst doing so. The economy has improved as well. I have just done a fair bit of stop start driving with steep hills etc and it is still returning 6L/100k. On a flat easy run of approx 20km sitting on 70kph it was returning 4.6L/100k. I am just about to fit a K&N air filter to it as it has just arrived in the mail today $60.10 from the UK delivered. Seeing supercheap wanted $48 for a paper element one that is only good for one use this is better value. I already run one in another car so I have the cleaning and oiling kit already. This may help it breath a little easier too so it will be interesting to note the change, if any.
As for ease of fitting, it is just a plug and play. You just have to know how to get the plug off the rail. I had a little fun getting it off and used a small flat bladed screw driver to lever the tab open and push it down. To help me understand how it went together I plugged the male and female on the box together to see how it all worked. The box goes in series, so all you have to do is plug the box in to where you unplugged the lead from the rail and plug that lead into the other end. FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS CAREFULLY. It is very easy. Hope this helps.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for the write-up WhiteDTcI. Any chance of snapping a few piccies and posting up?

Any other changes noticeable? Traction control, for example.
Whan I had my LS1 tuned, the change to a less intrusive T/C was one of the most noteable changes (benefits).

Steve
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-07-2012, 10:19 PM   #16
digbc

Thumbs up Re: diesel tuning boxes

Thanks for your reply whitetcdi I am also a newby with the diesel but have had my eyes
Opened to how good these cars are in my short ownership time.I think I will also get the cr chip box as I will also be towing with this car as well so every little bit of power / torque will be well used.just realised you obviously have a white diesel mondeo .mine is the sea mist grey
digbc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2012, 08:24 PM   #17
whitetdci

yep very unoriginal name I am afraid. apparently the new mk2 box is better but is a bit more to buy. I have mounted the box with the supplied cable tie on the air intake tube. I am not sure how you post images on this site but I think that I will have to upload them to another site. I have put the the K and N filter in too but as expected there is not any discernible difference in performance, however my choice was based on longevity not on performance.
Old 19-08-2012, 09:22 AM   #18
nevetsg

Whitetdci, you convinced me and even though I have only owned my TDCi for 4 days I ordered a C.R. Tech off ebay last night. I figgured that since the car was a few grand less than we thought we would have to pay I could afford it.
The wife's reaction "just please don't break my new car."
Looking forward to its arrival.
nevetsg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #19
whitetdci

I did a fair bit of digging around and couldn't find anything adverse about CR. There were a few others that may have been suss and others a lot more expensive. I have now had it on for around 6k and the car is averaging 5.9L/100K with me and my wife using it to commute to work (tag team sometimes) and other driving around. We have another petrol car that we use for short hops or when we are both working. We are going to take it on a trip soon so will be keen to see what it does now on the open road. It will be loaded to the hilt so I am not expecting miracles out of it. My next step after I sort out the HID issues (see other thread) will be to attack the EGR issue (yet another thread). I will try and take step by step pics and post them up. I have done this on another car forum but to to be honest people in the Mondeo forum don't appear to be a very keen to do many upgrade/changes to their vehicle. A bit more conservative cross section I would imagine. Hopefully I may be a catalyst for change. This is an observation NOT a character assassination of Mondy owners.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM   #20
nevetsg

Tuning box installed!

So I have only taken it for a spin around the neighbouring suburbs but it seems like it has all but removed the turbo lag. I didn't get a chance to really gun it but I can feel the power increase.

I latched it to the arm that holds the plastic engine cover. Here is a pic:

Quick question: is that the Oil filter just behind it to the right (hiding behind the cable)
Old 01-09-2012, 08:05 PM   #21
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, that looks like one of the canister type oil filter cartridges.

Great to feel the extra power...
Old 03-09-2012, 08:58 AM   #22
whitetdci

It certainly is the oil filter cartridge and it is a total bugger to get off if some over enthusiastic apprentice does it up. If you are going to do your own oil changes I would strongly recommend you get a single hex 26mm socket to undo it as it is only made of plastic. PM me if you want more info.
Just came back from the snow in our Mondy, 3 up with all associated gear and averaged 4.9L/100K with the leg from the snow to Goulburn being on winter mix. Not sure how this would affect the economy, but 4.9 is still a pretty good result.
Old 08-09-2012, 05:21 PM   #23
Executer

Anyone got the link to the CR box? Ive seen a few onm ebay, 1 is a white gryish colour. Is it safe to use, apparently it ups the fuel pressure. Cheers
Old 08-09-2012, 10:57 PM   #24
nevetsg

Here is the link to the CR Tech V1 that I brought for my MA. It has the same performance boost as the V2 for 70% cost...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Diesel-chi...-/180941102825

oh, I just went to the site to look for the V2 and it is missing, looks like you can only get the Pro.
http://www.bluesparkautomotive.com/d...o-2.0-TDCi-DPF
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #25
whitetdci

That's interesting. I wonder why? I am not sure that the pro would be worth that much more in economy. J
Old 09-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #26
whitetdci

let us know what you are getting out of yours on a trip Nev
Old 10-09-2012, 01:46 PM   #27
nevetsg

Some articals I read about the Tuning box's (the negative ones on the ECU remap sites) suggested that the Trip will now be off because we are confusing the ECU. So I am now not sure if it is now accurate. That being said...

I have 100% city driving (ave speed showing 28Kph..) and my trip shows 8.3l/100 ave consumption. This is down from the 9.3 of the week we owned it before fitting the box. I will get to see some highway figures next w/e.
Old 26-09-2012, 09:37 PM   #28
kayjay
Starter Motor

I purchased my tuning box through Ebay from a firm in Germany. Their name is sprit_sparen. The chip cost $129.00 Aust. landed. It took about 10 minutes to fit and worth every cent I paid for it. Vehicle performs markedly better and there has been no loss of fuel economy if anything it has improved. So far there have been no negatives. Can well recommend this unit.
kayjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2012, 05:36 PM   #29
nevetsg

Hey WhiteTDCi,

I went to change my OIL today with my shiny new
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetdci View Post
single hex 26mm socket
Only to find it is a 27mm socket :-P
I also found that i had to get a 1/2inch drive ratchet and an 8mm Allen key (for the sump plug). So $70 later... I was set and it is amazing how easy the right tools make things.

I feared that I had blocked the filter cap in with my Tuning box cable coil but it all came out OK.
Old 17-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #30
whitetdci

Yeah I had to get an allen key too. Who the hell puts an allen key plug for the oil plug? Oh only cost me around $40