Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 02-11-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

Default Fast Friday

I'm planning on taking the silver barge down to the Perth Motorplex for a run tomorrow night. If any forum members are going to be there, feel free to drop by and say hello.

ToddZC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-11-2006, 10:15 PM   #2
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

4500km.......I'll see what I can do!

Hope you get the flat 10. Sorry, that's pessemistic.....hoping for the 9.9 :

TruBlu351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 12:40 AM   #3
capriv8

Im going in the Capri, Hopefully we will run our first 11 second pass on street tyres. We are so close. ToddZC is that your car/feature in the Ford magazine?
capriv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-11-2006, 09:52 AM   #4
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by capriv8
ToddZC is that your car/feature in the Ford magazine?
It is in the current issue of Street Machine Fords, the silver ZC. I'll see you down there, lets hope for some fast times all round.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:46 PM   #5
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has given endless help in the cleveland section over the years. Knows his stuff and happily tests on the track and gives no fuss results. 

Stop the suspense! Did you knock a 10th or two off?

Old 05-11-2006, 11:11 AM   #6
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

Unhappy

No, it wasn't a good night for me. It started when I put a nice deep scratch/gouge down the left side of my car while loading it on to the trailer - so it's off to the panel shop tomorrow morning.

Didn't make any improvements on my times, best was a 10.26. It was having trouble hooking up on launch. Also I was tried using some VP 103 fuel, and after numerous jet changes it made no improvement, so back to the BP98 next time. Oh well, these things are sent to try us.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:10 PM   #7
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Bummer about the scratch. You could have at least done it at 135mph on the concrete whilst pulling off a 10.0 :

What size slicks are you running? They look quite big.

Old 05-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #8
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

28x10.5 ET Drags, not big enough.
Old 05-11-2006, 06:17 PM   #9
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddZC
Also I was tried using some VP 103 fuel, and after numerous jet changes it made no improvement, so back to the BP98 next time. Oh well, these things are sent to try us.
Do you dial in a little more timing with the higher octane fuel too?

Old 06-11-2006, 01:47 AM   #10
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

No, I've been taking timing out of it on the BP98 and it has been making more power. From what I've read, these heads make peak power at 28 - 30 degrees total timing, so I left it alone there. Was concentrating on getting the A/F ratio right.
Old 06-11-2006, 09:13 PM   #11
capriv8

Crap nite for me to we still have a issue with the gearbox wont let the car rev over 5000rpm(gear selector issues we think now). First run 12.1 at 99mph second run 12.2 at 90mph we usually cross at 117mph at 6300rpm. One day 11s???
Old 06-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #12
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

Which Capri is yours?
Old 07-11-2006, 12:38 AM   #13
capriv8

The original looking white one with gold stripes
Old 07-11-2006, 01:24 AM   #14
TruBlu351
3 Pedals R Better Than 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddZC
No, I've been taking timing out of it on the BP98 and it has been making more power. From what I've read, these heads make peak power at 28 - 30 degrees total timing, so I left it alone there. Was concentrating on getting the A/F ratio right.
Did you end up dropping a few sizes to get it right compared to BP98?

What CR are you running?

My understanding is that the bennefits of race fuel are released when you add a tad more timing when compared to a lower octane tune (giving the fuel time to burn and release it's extra energy).....if your compression is such that you have to slightly detune it on 98 to avoid preignition etc. I believe the higher calorific fuels have a slightly slower flame propogation to allow higher comp ratios and that power can actually be lost if your motor doesn't warrant it. So a few degrees extra timing might be worth investigating if 28-30 makes no difference?

Disregard if I'm smokin crack ;)

Go the AFR meter!

Old 07-11-2006, 01:09 PM   #15
ToddZC
Thunderbolt driver

Comp is only 10.6 to 1, so no problems running on BP98 even with the timing wound up to 15/36 degrees. Timing is now at 13/31 and the engine makes more power. I didn't want to play around with too many changes at once, was just trying to get the jetting right.
Still, since the fuel cost me $6/litre and I didn't see any worthwhile gain, I might give it a miss for future efforts. It's making enough power on BP98 to get me in the 9's, just got to get it to hook up.
Old 07-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #16
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Saw your car in street machine, looks great, hope to see you down there soon.