Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 25-11-2009, 07:51 PM   #31
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodp
It in no way challenges Window's desktop OS products.
It's not meant to challenge the desktop OS. My kid has one of those EeePcs running XP. The only thing she uses it for are surfing, email, web based games and IM. XP has far too much bloat to make it a pleasant experience. If Chrome delivers on what it promises I'd put it on that machine. And being open sourced I expect that a version will exist free of the Google mother ship.

Also interesting is that Balmer is having a few bob each way. They are releasing a web based version of MS Office.

Anyway, we will soon see if the time of the network computer is here.
cs123 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #32
EL_Mont

If its stateless how you go about burning a Data DVD for example?
It would take forever to download the data to be able to burn it?
EL_Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 09:13 PM   #33
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Mont
If its stateless how you go about burning a Data DVD for example?
It would take forever to download the data to be able to burn it?
You don't. A network computer is not designed to do things a traditional machine does. It doesn't have a DVD drive
- It starts
- Connects to the net
- Does "webby" things via a browser interface.
Old 25-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #34
EL_Mont

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
You don't. A network computer is not designed to do things a traditional machine does. It doesn't have a DVD drive
- It starts
- Connects to the net
- Does "webby" things via a browser interface.
boo

means you'll always need to run two OS's
other than that, i dont mind it
EL_Mont is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 10:44 PM   #35
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_Mont
boo

means you'll always need to run two OS's
other than that, i dont mind it
Or, if you're wanting to run a hardened browser and webapps, you can run it as a virtual machine under your traditional desktop. Only require 1 OS.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2009, 11:08 PM   #36
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Or, if you're wanting to run a hardened browser and webapps, you can run it as a virtual machine under your traditional desktop. Only require 1 OS.
or you can just use the chrome web browser as its exactly the same as the os anyway.

I would stay well away from this, as i do with all google products. All their downloadable products is for market research. How exactly do you think google is one of the richest companies in the world? For offering free apps, os's and search engines....
Companies pay an arm and a leg to advertise on the search engines and consumers pay buy giving up their privacy.
Seriously if you care about your privacy and dont want a large organisation to see all your private documents, videos and pictures, then dont even think of using this rubbish.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2009, 08:20 PM   #37
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Ok, but that didn't answer my question.

What is it about Chromium that will make Microsoft pull their socks up?
You weren't talking to me, but i'll weigh in anyway :P

I think it will. Businesses that use office apps, myob, etc a few accounting programs for instance would be crazy not to look at chrome as an option. And as there are more apps supported, businesses will need to look it as an alternative to forking out 60k of server, and a full time sysadmin on 70k, other software costs, plus the ongoing rubbish why wouldn't businesses consider it...

Will put us IT people outta a job :P

Well I dont think it will totally, but it'll make a considerable difference..
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-12-2009, 12:26 AM   #38
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
You weren't talking to me, but i'll weigh in anyway :P

I think it will. Businesses that use office apps, myob, etc a few accounting programs for instance would be crazy not to look at chrome as an option. And as there are more apps supported, businesses will need to look it as an alternative to forking out 60k of server, and a full time sysadmin on 70k, other software costs, plus the ongoing rubbish why wouldn't businesses consider it...
Seriously? You'd expect companies to trust their financial/confidential data in the hands of Google?
Old 02-12-2009, 08:37 AM   #39
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
Seriously? You'd expect companies to trust their financial/confidential data in the hands of Google?
They already are mate...

Probably safer trusting a massive corporation over an "IT Guy"/s, I've seen companies loose years of data because an unhappy IT guy decided to move on..
Old 02-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #40
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
They already are mate...

Probably safer trusting a massive corporation over an "IT Guy"/s, I've seen companies loose years of data because an unhappy IT guy decided to move on..
In 20 years, I've yet to see a disgruntled IT guy blow away years of data - at least, that wasn't recoverable - I'm sure it would lead to inevitable prosecution had it been done. The possibility certainly wouldn't persuade me to trust my sensetive data on servers hosted on the other side of the world.

Cheap netbook buyers are the major target audience for Chromium (or whatever it's eventually going to be called). A device that boots quick and provides almost instant access to web and email - it's simply not a corporate desktop OS.
Old 02-12-2009, 07:46 PM   #41
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:
In 20 years, I've yet to see a disgruntled IT guy blow away years of data - at least, that wasn't recoverable - I'm sure it would lead to inevitable prosecution had it been done. The possibility certainly wouldn't persuade me to trust my sensetive data on servers hosted on the other side of the world.
Eh it happens, and yes for $5k the data was recovered, and yes he was prosecuted.

Quote:
Cheap netbook buyers are the major target audience for Chromium (or whatever it's eventually going to be called). A device that boots quick and provides almost instant access to web and email - it's simply not a corporate desktop OS.
I dont know why its not a solution for corporate users? For the majority of company's google apps / chrome will be the way of the future...

Add up say the cost of 10 PC's + office licensing, a server (cheap x3200 for instance), exchange + licenses. Then work out what it costs to buy some cheap PC's and google apps costs, it will be a lot cheaper then the server option (I know, I have done the math)

Imagine if chrome was usable as a "TS"? 10 users on thin clients, no need for any other software...

The reason that this will go ahead, is because as google apps gets better, there will be no reason NOT to move to move to google. Working in the industry i dont like the idea, but it will happen...

Sensitive data? I'd prefer to have it with someone like google, then on a windows server. I dare say there is more chance of someone hacking an SBS server behind crapbox ISA, over hacking google, or more chance of "information" leaks between staff at a christmas party rather then google execs sitting there going "oohh this 1$mil turnover company is dodging taxes". Googles concern is you paying $$$$$ for google apps, not profiteering from sensitive information..

From an IT perspective, there's also no reason to upgrade server when warranty is out / replace faulty disks / raid cards / deal with internet outages in data centres / any all the other associated crap that comes with administering Windows Servers
Old 02-12-2009, 07:59 PM   #42
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
A device that boots quick and provides almost instant access to web and email - it's simply not a corporate desktop OS.
Agree that Chromium is not a corporate desktop but if you take the concept of a network computer there is potential for large scale deployments in a corporation.

Think about call centre computers as an example, most of these require browser and email. Little use of MS Office applications. Think of replacing a power hungry desktop with essentially a LCD monitor and low power processor and flash storage. Use web based MS Office for the desktop productivity apps and web based email client for MS exchange.

The money saved on purchasing, operational costs and management would be significant. Not suitable for those that need real computing power but there is a potential market for network computers inside big companies.
Old 02-12-2009, 08:24 PM   #43
Cam
Stroking it...

for anone who has not seen Google apps:
http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/b...urce=catch_all
Old 03-12-2009, 08:27 AM   #44
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cam
I dont know why its not a solution for corporate users? For the majority of company's google apps / chrome will be the way of the future...

Add up say the cost of 10 PC's + office licensing, a server (cheap x3200 for instance), exchange + licenses. Then work out what it costs to buy some cheap PC's and google apps costs, it will be a lot cheaper then the server option (I know, I have done the math)

Imagine if chrome was usable as a "TS"? 10 users on thin clients, no need for any other software...

The reason that this will go ahead, is because as google apps gets better, there will be no reason NOT to move to move to google. Working in the industry i dont like the idea, but it will happen...

Sensitive data? I'd prefer to have it with someone like google, then on a windows server. I dare say there is more chance of someone hacking an SBS server behind crapbox ISA, over hacking google, or more chance of "information" leaks between staff at a christmas party rather then google execs sitting there going "oohh this 1$mil turnover company is dodging taxes". Googles concern is you paying $$$$$ for google apps, not profiteering from sensitive information..

From an IT perspective, there's also no reason to upgrade server when warranty is out / replace faulty disks / raid cards / deal with internet outages in data centres / any all the other associated crap that comes with administering Windows Servers
I guess we'll see what the future holds. Is there a potential for business to move to this sort of platform? Sure. I just don't believe Chromium markets for or delivers that.

On the whole, customer hosted machines are getting fewer. There are a lot more virtualised deployments than 2-5 years ago. Storage is growing, exponentially. I deal predominantly with the higher end of the market, perhaps there will be a takeup at the bottom end... unsure as I don't deal with those deployments very often.

This grew from the statement that it will make Microsoft pull their socks up. It won't. It's not a threat to their desktop OS market share. It's takeup in my opinion will be tiny and limited to small deployments.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:28 AM   #45
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Agree that Chromium is not a corporate desktop but if you take the concept of a network computer there is potential for large scale deployments in a corporation.

Think about call centre computers as an example, most of these require browser and email. Little use of MS Office applications. Think of replacing a power hungry desktop with essentially a LCD monitor and low power processor and flash storage. Use web based MS Office for the desktop productivity apps and web based email client for MS exchange.

The money saved on purchasing, operational costs and management would be significant. Not suitable for those that need real computing power but there is a potential market for network computers inside big companies.
...which is what they currently deploy Citrix for.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:26 AM   #46
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

Quote:
Exactly, in the corporate environment, cloud computering is not new. For all you people saying google chrome great for the corp environment, your all way off as they have been doing this for years using Citrix, Vmware and Terminal Services. But these technologies use sophisticated authentication, encryption and tunneling. This is corporate techologies modified for the home user. Not the other way around.
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-12-2009, 12:59 PM   #47
Paddyboy

OK, im not a computer whiz and I dont know a lot of the IT terms.
I have downloaded Google Chrome and I love it, its quick and easy.

Ive been reading this thread and a few people have mentioned about privacy and sharing data with Google etc.

How does using google chrome share data??? im worried about my privacy now. Please someone fill me in.
Old 03-12-2009, 01:11 PM   #48
Paddyboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy

Ive been reading this thread and a few people have mentioned about privacy and sharing data with Google etc.

How does using google chrome share data??? im worried about my privacy now. Please someone fill me in.
When I say google chrome, I mean just the browser.

What does "stateless" mean in laymens terms
Old 03-12-2009, 02:40 PM   #49
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddyboy

I'm a Chrome user myself. It tracks usage data (I think you can turn that off...) and crash data so it can help improve future versions, it (apparently) doesn't collate or send any personal information so information that is sent is done so anonymously.

It isn't even a blip on my radar though I'm sure that google searches are biased based on my browsing habits and whoever shells out the most $$'s to advertise with Google.
Old 03-12-2009, 08:25 PM   #50
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
And what do you need to access Citrix? a full featured desktop machine?
Old 03-12-2009, 08:26 PM   #51
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

In case anyone is wondering, you can see what Google claims to know about you.
https://www.google.com/dashboard

make of it what you will.
Old 03-12-2009, 09:28 PM   #52
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Quote:
And what do you need to access Citrix? a full featured desktop machine?
Nope.