Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-06-2020, 02:44 AM   #1
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Default Credit card points :)

Who uses their rewards card to their advantage?

Up until a few months ago I never paid a cent of interest in 20 years.

I'm the sort of customer the banks hate

Several times over I have redeemed xxx,xxx points for gift vouchers, stuff for around the house, gift cards etc.

CBA has an offer for 20% extra in cash back if you check in your points.

Always hated the concept of using them for cash back as you go much less than if it went to vouchers - or travel.

Same points were worth about 30% more if used for travel or gift cards.

Well, time has come to cash in my points - 801,585 to be exact. I think I won't be travelling for a while and the money will come in handy as I'm hardly working.

I was surprised the ex never asked for 'her share' during our divorce considering they were worth a few thousand at the time.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Credit card points :)

I think you need to spend part of that on a drive up to Tweed Heads; shout Leesa a socially distanced beer across the notional border.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2020, 05:54 PM   #3
MercuryT
Banned

I'm with CBA and have Platinum credit card.

I use credit for everything but like you never pay interest as I clear it monthly. Free too.

Points rack up quick and I either get gift cards or just use the points back as cash.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2020, 06:51 PM   #4
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Use points for upgrades to Business on overseas flights...best way to redeem them.
Might be awhile before I get to use them again...but not swapping them for a toaster.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2020, 08:19 PM   #5
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Smile Re: Credit card points :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jastel View Post
Use points for upgrades to Business on overseas flights...best way to redeem them.
Might be awhile before I get to use them again...but not swapping them for a toaster.
Same here.

All my spend is on my cc. I get paid monthly, and pay the full balance on my card then. Never carried any debt across to the next month, and never not paid. Keeps the spending in check, and haven't spent a cent in interest.

I'm tied in to Qantas rewards points. I've accumulated approx 1 million points over the years,, and biggest bang for buck is using them for Business Upgrades when possible.

Wife and I got upgraded to business class to London, and to Hong Kong, for holidays. I've been upgraded half a dozen times from Singapore to Sydney when travelling for work, and twice been upgraded to Premium Economy from Dallas to Sydney.

Second best use, is booking business rewards tickets, even if for 1 way only, and pay in cash the return. You'll travel both ways in business at half the retail price. And yes, it does make a huge difference!
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-06-2020, 08:36 PM   #6
MercuryT
Banned

Not that helpful to upgrade to Business Class when people can't fly! ha

But yes I'm sure it's true.

Crediting back funds suits me ok I guess.
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2020, 07:04 PM   #7
Jastel
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has much experience with taxis and always jumps on here to explain things simply and help out the new guys in B-series and Contemporary... 

Points dont go away so long as you save/spend some every year...
Unless you are in Virgin...then you may have problems.
Jastel is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2020, 05:16 PM   #8
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
I'm with CBA and have Platinum credit card.

I use credit for everything but like you never pay interest as I clear it monthly. Free too.

Points rack up quick and I either get gift cards or just use the points back as cash.
I paid for all my Uni fees on my card. If you paid up front you got a 25% discount. I would get the odd comment that I was better off on HECS as I would be paying XX% interest blah blah blah.

Yeah, I already had the cash to pay just put it on the card and transferred the amount across when the statement came lol.

That got me a ton of household stuff / Christmas presents for the family, dinner vouchers etc.

Then I racked up another boat load of points. At one stage CBA must have had an agreement with Dick Smith as I was going to use them to buy my first digital camera. Chose one then got a call from those time share holiday people (Trend West). They said if I went to the seminar I would get a free digital camera.

Went to the seminar, bought $15k of travel points on the card, cancelled them 3 days later and told them the credit card was cancelled as it was stolen so they refunded me by cheque.

Tossed the rubbish digital camera they gifted me and got 2 models better digital camera with the extra points I accrued from buying the time share

Going through my divorce the firm I used allowed payment by credit card..

Bought most of my building materials for my house on my credit card.

Bought a used car for my mate on the credit car.

As long as there was no fee of course. If they offered me a discount for paying 'cash' I would take that option first.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 13-06-2020, 05:43 PM   #9
hawke
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I had a real job, one of my clients used to pay their Workers Compensation premiums with their credit card - anything between $3-$5m a year. The CEO thought it was the greatest lurk known. Gave him and his wife a first class trip to the UK every year.
hawke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post: