Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 09-06-2011, 05:54 PM   #1
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Question Petrol MA sedan

Hi all,

Can anyone say with absolute certainty if the MA sedan version of the Mondeo was imported into Oz with either of the petrol engines?

As ours is a diesel and there were no other MAs on the dealers inventory, I'm not sure.

I'm getting a feel for Ford Oz's marketing strategy on the Mondeo range, but if Petrol engined sedans were imported then my theory gets a bit of a dent.

TIA

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #2
yelpir

Default Re: Petrol MA sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanD
Hi all,

Can anyone say with absolute certainty if the MA sedan version of the Mondeo was imported into Oz with either of the petrol engines?

As ours is a diesel and there were no other MAs on the dealers inventory, I'm not sure.

I'm getting a feel for Ford Oz's marketing strategy on the Mondeo range, but if Petrol engined sedans were imported then my theory gets a bit of a dent.

TIA

Cheers
I live in South Australia and I drive a 2008 MA 2.3l sedan. I see a fair no of sedans around. My understanding that the sedan was discontinued in Oz in the MB series. Not sure if this answers ur question
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:31 PM   #3
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most of the sedans I've seen at the dealers I've worked for have been petrols.
WILDB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
Dusty1
Giddy up!

It was only Zetec from memory and could be had with either.

Have a look at the Resources section, there might be a scanned brochure there.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-06-2011, 03:53 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We got a 2.0 manual sedan in NZ as well as the 2.3 auto. There's quite a few sedan's on the road here.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:15 PM   #6
bovva66

I have a 2.3l 2007 MA sedan, though it is ZEtec. I seem to remeber some LX sedans available in the MA, but could be wrong?
Old 11-06-2011, 05:01 PM   #7
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks people,

My thinking was that the petrol sedan MA Mondeos might not have been imported into Oz to avoid "stealing" sales from the falcon range - but for people who wanted a diesel engined sedan those were brought into the country to satisfy this need.

But since petrol engined MA sedans were sold - there goes that idea.

These days you can get Mondeo Hatches or Wagons and the falcon range has neither of these body models. Similarly diesel engines.

Be interesting to see what happens when the 4 cylinder Falcon range becomes available - especially if a diesel option is available.

Cheers

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
Dusty1
Giddy up!

Is there talk of a diesel Falcon? It would chew into Mondeo sales, so I don't know if Ford would do it.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-06-2011, 04:57 AM   #9
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think $$$ are the problem. But having engineered a diesel V6 into the Terri, you'd think it would be easy to fit the sequential turbo 3.0 into the Falcon...
Old 14-06-2011, 05:23 PM   #10
yelpir

Exclamation Re: Petrol MA sedan

[QUOTE=AlanD]Thanks people,

"My thinking was that the petrol sedan MA Mondeos might not have been imported into Oz to avoid "stealing" sales from the falcon range - but for people who wanted a diesel engined sedan those were brought into the country to satisfy this need".

Haa, but you are not far from the truth. The sedan was discontinued (in my opinion) to protect the falcon range. The 2.3l is way past its sell by date (think mazda 6 engine pre 2008) but Ford Oz delayed the EB engine in Mondeo here while that engine had been introduced in europe. They were never going to commit to bringing in the EB until just recently. So I think the idea was to protect the falcon but the Mondeo is such a good car that in the end its quality could not be hidden any more (despite comparatively little advertisement). Now it is the second best selling car in its class. It is such a bloody good car and well optioned that it is a shame it has taken this while to sell well.

I have no problem with Ford Oz protecting the falcon in order to protect jobs but I think it could be have been done in a better way. When u compete, u should always put ur best produts forward.....Put a good petrol (EB in hatch and THE WAGON TOO)/diesel (2.2l) engine in the Mondeo and watch it garner more sales in its class. And the falcon.......i think the more powerful EB in the falcon is in the right direction and then it has got to be well optioned for its price because it is also a good drive. However given Ford's current slant, its future may be shaky.........
yelpir is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-06-2011, 08:33 PM   #11
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Mondeo is a good car and has been successful in NZ. It is sold at a competitive price, and because Ford NZ has not discounted it into the rental fleets, hold its value well.

The Falcon competes against the Commodore, not the Mazda 6 or the Accord Euro. I had a XR6 as a lease vehicle for 3 years and loved it. But I needed a wagon, so bought a Mondeo. (I nearly bought a Sportwagon V8 during the GFC but my son said he'd never talk to me again!)

IMHO Ford AU has missed a huge opportunity. The Falcon still sells well here, but the Mondeo is the 2nd best selling intermediate car in NZ.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:50 PM   #12
Superoo
Mondeo TDCi / BA XR6T

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ XR6
I think $$$ are the problem. But having engineered a diesel V6 into the Terri, you'd think it would be easy to fit the sequential turbo 3.0 into the Falcon...
Hmmm...the 3.0 in a falcon would be a goer. Unfortunately, the same issues using it in the territory would most likely still exist. I'm also a bit sceptical of the ecoboost turbo 4 falcon.

Can't really fault my Mondeo after 3.5 years. I don't like admitting it but from a general reliability and quality perspective, it has it all over my falcon which suffered quite a few niggly issues in the first 30K (it's been not bad since though). The new MC's look really nice and I'd seriously consider a Titanium wagon if I didn't need a little more space with the 3 kids. Hopefully the better sales figures continue.
Old 14-06-2011, 09:12 PM   #13
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other day I pulled up beside a Tango Colored Mondeo which didn't have the rear spoiler. Pretty sure it was Zetec and looked to me like an MA. I didn't see the TDCI badging on the back. Did the sedans have the rear spoiler?
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post