Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: Best bang for your bucks small car under 25 grand poll
Ford : Fiesta 21 9.33%
Ford : Focus 55 24.44%
Holden: Astra 10 4.44%
Holden: Viva 0 0%
Honda: Civic 5 2.22%
Honda: Jazz 0 0%
Hyundai: Accent 3 1.33%
Hyundai: Elantra 3 1.33%
Hyundai: Getz 4 1.78%
Kia: Cerrato 2 0.89%
Mazda: 2 1 0.44%
Mazda: 3 46 20.44%
Mitsubitchi: Colt 2 0.89%
Mitsubitshi: Lancer 10 4.44%
Nissan: Pulsar 0 0%
Nissan: Tida 0 0%
Peugeot:XR 5dr 1.4 0 0%
Peugeot: XR 3dr 1.4 0 0%
Peugeot: XT 5dr 1.6 1 0.44%
Peugeot: C 5dr 1.6 0 0%
Suberu: Impreza 15 6.67%
Suzuki: Swift 11 4.89%
Toyota: Corolla 7 3.11%
Toyota: Yaris 3 1.33%
Volkswagen: Polo 1.9 TDI 23 10.22%
Volkswagen: Polo 1.6 3 1.33%
Voters: 225. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #61
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev28K
You could make the argument that you could get the cheapest car at say 18k and throw 7k worth of performance stuff at it and still have a good car for 25k.
this isnt about the fastest car under 25 ....it must have better fuel econmy, good looks and safety to match with the performance and price...its not about buying a car and doing it up. it is a poll on what people think is the best car for the price you pay
Old 11-10-2006, 08:55 PM   #62
05MkIIFutura
SV6000. Yum

Ha ha ha this thread is hilarious.

I was going to say something earlier but i refrained, but seeing the poll results pushed me to say this.

Putting a poll on here for the best car under certain $$$ is like putting a poll on the forum for "which is better: ford or holden"!!!!

you are all crazy about your fords, you have all bought one on this passion, as if ford isnt going to end up the favourite!!!!! (at the moment the focus is winning)

thats GOLD
Old 12-10-2006, 01:13 AM   #63
Boss 290

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05MkIIFutura
Ha ha ha this thread is hilarious.

I was going to say something earlier but i refrained, but seeing the poll results pushed me to say this.

Putting a poll on here for the best car under certain $$$ is like putting a poll on the forum for "which is better: ford or holden"!!!!

you are all crazy about your fords, you have all bought one on this passion, as if ford isnt going to end up the favourite!!!!! (at the moment the focus is winning)

thats GOLD
lol i was thinking the focus would win and fiesta would be close but im guessing third would show a true result on what people outside of ford fans would think....but you also wouldnt know if kow ford supporters still favours the fords over the rest in the poll, you cant say the fiesta and focus dont offer good value for money so it would be fitting to see either one win
Old 12-10-2006, 08:34 AM   #64
mowog
Discovery 4

This has been a most interesting thread. As others have said its bound to be a one sided result in a Ford forum. I don’t like either the Focus (styling) or the Fiesta which isn’t that much advanced over the Ford Ka. As for the Fiesta Zetec any car that is marketed as a sporty variant firstly should not have rear drum brakes and should at least have an engine that is more powerful than the engine in the base car.

An interesting “New” car that falls into the scope of this thread is the Suzuki Swift Sport. If you are talking bang for your bucks with performance economy and equipment it has to be a winner in this price range. Even the standard Swift is a better car than the Fiesta (In my Opinion).

The $25k bracket is basically full of boring shopping cars that grandma would drive to the shops with the exception of the Swift Sport and even granny might enjoy a drive in that as well.
Lotus Trooper.
Mini Inspired by Goodwood.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:19 AM   #65
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

HAHAHHA there is so many things so wrong with that post its not even worth our (fiesta owners)troubles.

1. Fiesta which isn’t that much advanced over the Ford Ka.
Answer = The Ka was a piece of crap hence poor sales, poor design, had no balls, is very small.

The Fiesta is everything the Ka wanted to be. In my opinion it is the best all round package you can get to be light on your wallet and make you crap your pants on twisties. Even a Stock Fiesta will pull rings around some Big Boys Toys.

2. As for the Fiesta Zetec any car that is marketed as a sporty variant firstly should not have rear drum brakes and should at least have an engine that is more powerful than the engine in the base car.
Answer = FIESTA ST

3. Standard Swift is a better car than the Fiesta
Answer = Please Explain

Tell me why didnt the swift sport didnt come with a bigger engine?? all other hot hatches have in excess of 100kws. Interior looks very cheap as well, no leather option??

The thing is Ford need to wake up and get with the program. The reason the small car market is a joke is because they need to bring the Fiesta ST to oz then this thread will be pointless as it would be the best BFYB if it is priced under 25k.

Just do a google search for its reviews, and you will notice that the stock Fiesta and ST are no joke.

Last edited by MISTA FIESTA; 12-10-2006 at 09:32 AM.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:28 AM   #66
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MISTA FIESTA
HAHAHHA there is so many things so wrong with that post its not even worth our troubles

Answer = The Ka was a piece of crap hence poor sales, poor design, had no balls, is very small.

The Fiesta is everything the Ka wanted to be. In my opinion it is the best all round package you can get to be light on ur wallet and crap you pants on twisties. Even a Stock Fiesta will pull rings around some Big Boys Toys.

2. As for the Fiesta Zetec any car that is marketed as a sporty variant firstly should not have rear drum brakes and should at least have an engine that is more powerful than the engine in the base car.
Answer = FIESTA ST

3. Standard Swift is a better car than the Fiesta (In my Opinion).
Answer = Please Explain

The thing is Ford need to wake up and get with the program. The reason the small car market is a joke is because they need to bring the Fiesta ST to oz then this thread will be pointless as it would be the best BFYB if it is priced under 25k.

Just do a google search for its reviews, and you will notice that the stock Fiesta and ST are no joke.
Here Here..

we want ST/XR4

Old 12-10-2006, 09:37 AM   #67
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
HAHAHHA there is so many things so wrong with that post its not even worth our troubles

The Fiesta is everything the Ka wanted to be. In my opinion it is the best all round package you can get to be light on ur wallet and crap you pants on twisties. Even a Stock Fiesta will pull rings around some Big Boys Toys.

Answer = FIESTA ST

3. Standard Swift is a better car than the Fiesta (In my Opinion).
Answer = Please Explain

Now that was fun. :lookedat:

I wondered how long it would take a Fiesta owner to bite.

No point bringing up a model you cant even buy here fact is a Zetec is nothing but a tarted up LX again what small performance car (even a pretender like the Fiesta) has rear drum brakes?

As for the Ka & Fiesta well I owned a Ka Nice little car I drove a Fiesta as a maybe replacement it wasnt that much better more power sure but a quantum leap no. Look deep you can see the Ka DNA in the Fiesta

My Opinion on the Suzuki Its an opinion and I dont need to explain myself othe than to say my money would be spent on the Suzuki before the Fiesta(come later Day Ka)
Lotus Trooper.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 AM   #68
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Im probabaly not the most informed Fiesta owner when it comes to the facts, so ill let some one else, empasise my point.

I used the Fiesta ST as a point of reference to say that it is there and available in the world just not in Oz because Ford havent smelt the coffee.

I do agree that the fiesta range should have discs but then again the Fiesta isnt and is not trying to be a performance car.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 AM   #69
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Now that was fun. :lookedat:

I wondered how long it would take a Fiesta owner to bite.

No point bringing up a model you cant even buy here fact is a Zetec is nothing but a tarted up LX again what small performance car (even a pretender like the Fiesta) has rear drum brakes?

As for the Ka & Fiesta well I owned a Ka Nice little car I drove a Fiesta as a maybe replacement it wasnt that much better more power sure but a quantum leap no. Look deep you can see the Ka DNA in the Fiesta

My Opinion on the Suzuki Its an opinion and I dont need to explain myself othe than to say my money would be spent on the Suzuki before the Fiesta(come later Day Ka)
out:

the FIESTA has none of the KA's DNA. the Fiesta was essentially designed off the Focus, you put a 2door Focus Zetec withe the 17" rims, next to a 2door Fiesta Zetec and you tell me that there is KA resemblance. :

no way.
The fiesta's Chassis is a MAJOR step up from the KA, also the Fiesta's 1.6 ltr Engine has ALOT more power ALOT more tourque and ALOT more guts than the KA.

the KA was a peice of crap. Literally. it was as if FORD just went and got bits and pieces that they had lying around and threw them togetther. absolute rubbish.

if you think there is DNA in the Fezz from the Ka, please enlighten me what it is?

Old 12-10-2006, 10:09 AM   #70
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Geez the whole argument about whether a Corolla is faster than a Fiesta is hilarious- who cares - neither one is "fast" unless you push them both off a cliff.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:16 AM   #71
Boss 290

i heard rumours that the fiesta st will be brought over by ford and it would be called xr4. that explains why ford regesterd the name.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #72
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss 290
i heard rumours that the fiesta st will be brought over by ford and it would be called xr4. that explains why ford regesterd the name.
You are 100% Right. It just need to get its A$$ here to OZ and grab the small car market by the Cahones.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:20 AM   #73
Boss 290

lets just say the fiesta is slower then the swift....what car has better handling, looks, fuel economy, safety, options, price? all of these things should be taken into account. JUst because a car is faster does not make it a better car.....most reviews i have read comparing the vz clubby and the ba gt say the clubby is faster but the gt gets it on everything else...its about the whole package, not what a car can do in a straight line
Old 12-10-2006, 10:25 AM   #74
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
lets just say the fiesta is slower then the swift....what car has better handling, looks, fuel economy, safety, options, price? all of these things should be taken into account. JUst because a car is faster does not make it a better car.....most reviews i have read comparing the vz clubby and the ba gt say the clubby is faster but the gt gets it on everything else...its about the whole package, not what a car can do in a straight line
i know the Fez has, driver and passenger Air bads, ABS, EBD, it handles like its on rails unless you get a broken steering arm. hehehehe.
fuel economy is great. about 500-600 per tank(45ltrs) l
Looks SEXUAL,
options vary, basical everything you need is standard. price is nice and cheap.
about the 20K mark depending on what model you get(LX,ZETEC,GHIA.)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:26 AM   #75
mowog
Discovery 4

I am done I have have had enough fun stiring the Ford lovers pot..

And the Fiesta guys you are just plain funny.
Lotus Trooper.
Old 12-10-2006, 10:27 AM   #76
MISTA FIESTA
Da Shifty One

Quote:
The fiesta is not a straight line car. 74kw vs 92kw is the reason the swift has more balls, but im sure if you take both of them around a twistie the swift will be over the cliff.

Better handling, looks, fuel economy, safety, options, price = Fiesta hands down
Old 12-10-2006, 10:29 AM   #77
BlackLS

Quote:
74kw vs 92kw is the reason the swift has more balls, but im sure if you take both of them around a twistie the swift will be over the cliff.
Fiestas easily keep up with LS1 Monaros w. edit in the twisties of the Old Pacific Hwy. ;)

Old 12-10-2006, 10:33 AM   #78
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackLS
Fiestas easily keep up with LS1 Monaros w. edit in the twisties of the Old Pacific Hwy. ;)
hell yer. you may even see a dead mans run style run with the monaro. hehehehe

Old 12-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #79
Boss 290

when should i declare the winner of the poll? im abit dissapointed that some cars didnt evern get 1 vote
Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 PM   #80
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

OK ... out of that list ... I'd be looking at the VW Polo 1.9 TDi
I tink they come out in the 2.0L TDi as well ... but might be out of the $25K price range.

Tell you when though those 2.0L TDi's are punchy ... and the 6-speed manuals are nice as well. Guy at work has the 2.0L Golf TDi Comfortline ... very nice indeed ... interior is awesome as well.
Old 13-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #81
niko
likes falcon's

focus or the tdi 1.9 vw
Old 14-10-2006, 03:53 PM   #82
Boss 290

i finally made up my mind and i went for the focus...its is sooooo smmoooth and looks great, handles great, good on the pocket with fuel, interiors is comfy and looks like quality, road noise is minimum, its feels really torquey...its a great car. the germans knew what they were doing when they made this lol....my sister has a bmw for a company car and it retails at 70 grand. and im not lying when i say this but the cars are dead even when it comes to smoothnes and looks
Old 14-10-2006, 04:13 PM   #83
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Fiesta or Focus for me!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 14-10-2006, 05:55 PM   #84
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowog
Why are they such a problem for you? They work fine. Actually, a Fiesta Zetec will out-brake alot of its competitors, one such being the four-wheel disc equipped Barina. Disc doesn't actually mean better braking... :
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 14-10-2006, 05:56 PM   #85
Steffo
LPG > You

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
OK ... out of that list ... I'd be looking at the VW Polo 1.9 TDi
I tink they come out in the 2.0L TDi as well ... but might be out of the $25K price range.
Polo doesn't come with the 2.0 TDI engine. Only the 1.9. And its detuned from the Golf...

Golf 1.9 TDI = 77kW 250Nm
Polo 1.9 TDI = 74kW 240Nm
LPG Lovers Association President & Member #1.

:
Old 14-10-2006, 07:47 PM   #86
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steffo
Why are they such a problem for you? They work fine. Actually, a Fiesta Zetec will out-brake alot of its competitors, one such being the four-wheel disc equipped Barina. Disc doesn't actually mean better braking... :
Disc vs Drums...

First let me say something here... I am an ex mechanic and ex Aircraft Engineer so I have a little bit of an understanding of things mechanical.

Yes drums brakes are better than discs “For the first hard stop” after that the game is over that’s why we don’t have cars with front drum brakes anymore. Rear drum brakes well yup they are still around but mainly in low cost shopping cars. And in a car that pretends to be sporty well its just plain cost cutting by the maker.

Disc’s give a consistent performance over the life of the components drums require regular maintenance to maintain peak performance they are prone to dust build-up which reduces their performance as well.

I don’t have a problem with the Fiesta it’s a good little shopping car and I even considered buying one, but at the time the Barina SRi I brought was a far better car and I still think it is. Thats why I have 2 SRi's
Lotus Trooper.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:11 PM   #87
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mowong how about you actually drive the fiesta before passing judgement. The brakes work great and while they won't last long on a track (But even the ST with discs all round has brake fade on the track). And who will be taking it around a track? No one. They will last 2 and half runs up and down springwood which is pretty dam good. Im sure you barina wouldn't last on a track too.

The zetec is more than a tarted up LX. It has sports suspension and a closer ratio box. They are 0.3seconds faster to 100 than the LX and ghia.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:33 PM   #88
mowog
Discovery 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pieoter
Mowong how about you actually drive the fiesta before passing judgement. The brakes work great and while they won't last long on a track (But even the ST with discs all round has brake fade on the track). And who will be taking it around a track? No one. They will last 2 and half runs up and down springwood which is pretty dam good. Im sure you barina wouldn't last on a track too.

The zetec is more than a tarted up LX. It has sports suspension and a closer ratio box. They are 0.3seconds faster to 100 than the LX and ghia.
Wow 0.3 thats amazing...

I have driven one as I said I looked at buying one.. But in the end it was just to much of a dressed up tart. If its going to look sporty it has to deliver and 0.3 of a second mate you have to be kidding if thats a justification for sporty...

Again you cant buy an ST in Australia.

I am over toy cars now anyway the 2 Barina SRi's I have given to my kids. The Sportivo is for sale because I am buying an XR6 Turbo Ute...

Just live with the fact that the Zetec is nothing but a tarted up shopping car that is 0.3 seconds : faster than the LX... :eclipsee_
Lotus Trooper.
Old 14-10-2006, 08:41 PM   #89
Pieoter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Good to see you engineering knowledge told you about the other advantages of having a close ratio box. And you seem to have forgotten about the sport suspension. And not a mention about the brakes. I only mentioned the ST to show that even discs fade.

Also good to see you think that 0-100time is the only factor to consider about cars.

Nice selective reading tool.
Old 14-10-2006, 09:00 PM   #90
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I voted for Fiesta, just simply because it's such a great value for money. I got my 2006 LX Auto for $18,500 drive away (no options whatsoever). It might not be the cheapest in its class but the quality you get from that kind of money is of good value.

Yes when I was shopping around I took a look at Getz 1.6, Yaris YRS, and Swift. But at the end of the days the Fiesta got the most ticks from me, hence that's why im driving one now.

Hey, have you revved your Fiesta to 6250rpm? :hihi:
Closed Thread