Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-03-2013, 02:47 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation QLD Easter : 1 Km over Speed Limit Ticket!!!!!!

POLICE will stop traffic on the state's major highways and enforce "zero tolerance" on speeding in an unprecedented Easter road safety blitz.

Motorists speeding will face fines as frustrated police say they are sick and tired of the mounting road toll.

Police Minister Jack Dempsey said it would not be business as usual on the roads.

Extra police will be called in from other duties to take part in high-visibility and covert operations, targeting everything from defect cars and seatbelts to tired, inattentive and drunk motorists.

Tomorrow, every major road out of Brisbane will be stationed by police, with random breath tests and other stoppages among "action plans" implemented statewide.

Mr Dempsey and Police Commissioner Ian Stewart will today launch the Easter road safety campaign as the road toll stands at 70 - which is 15 more deaths than this time last year.

"The message is, if they are a kilometre over, they will get a ticket," Mr Dempsey said.

"It's not business as normal anymore, there are no apologies.

"This whole Easter campaign is zero tolerance with traffic infringements.

"There will be times that we will be shutting down certain highways at any given time," he said.

Frustrated police say they do not want a repeat of last year, when 12 people died over the Easter period.

State Traffic Support Branch acting Superintendent Paul Fogg said "every available resource" would be used during the two-week campaign.

My Comment : No car's speedo is 100% accurate..another example of the road toll being used to raise revenue.....

Old 27-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #2
The Monty
Just slidin'

Default Re: QLD Easter : 1 Km over Speed Limit Ticket!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by csv8 View Post

My Comment : No car's speedo is 100% accurate..another example of the road toll being used to raise revenue.....

Thats correct, none are. All that Im aware of read high. So if you sit on the speed limit, you would never get a ticket, as you would always be going slower than the calibrated equipment of police.
Old 27-03-2013, 02:58 PM   #3
Sioso
irregular member

My speedo turned out to be bang on, fined last week for 116 in 100 and thats exactly what the digital speedo said, I figured the radar would say 111 -113.

"Extra police will be called in from other duties to take part in high-visibility and covert operations, targeting everything from defect cars and seatbelts to tired, inattentive and drunk motorists".

Inattentive are the most dangerous yet I've never seen or heard of anyone being booked for this.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 03:07 PM   #4
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wow. Heavy handed tactics. If going faster than what a signs says is the maximum causes a massive number of road deaths, I assume they will prevent fire trucks, ambulances and the police themselves form exceeding that limit. That is only logical, otherwise they are putting us all in great danger with their reckless disregard for the limit and us the poor suffering citizens.....
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 27-03-2013, 03:09 PM   #5
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Monty View Post
Thats correct, none are. All that Im aware of read high. So if you sit on the speed limit, you would never get a ticket, as you would always be going slower than the calibrated equipment of police.
That is only true for vehicles manufactured since ADR was change from +/- 10% to +0%/- 10% a decade or so ago following pressure from Victoria.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
CFOUR
The Destroyer

Fines won't stick. Anything up to 12% over will be dissmised as usual, providing the recipients fight them.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 03:16 PM   #7
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ah yes, the old "zero tolerance" chestnut. Will do wonders for the already less than ideal public perception of the Highway Patrol boys.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 03:20 PM   #8
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFOUR View Post
Fines won't stick. Anything up to 12% over will be dissmised as usual, providing the recipients fight them.
Well that is the best action. Clog the courts with this stupidity. The Magistrates will sort it quickly as they are a bit more in tune with the community than the politically motivated despots and the wannabe gestapo that have infiltrated the ranks of our Police service.
Old 27-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #9
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

And most motorists will just suck it up and pay....

So most will infact stick

Dumb apathetic citizens, take it up the *** once again in the name of govco revenue thinly disguised as safety.

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
Old 27-03-2013, 03:21 PM   #10
EVLKNEVL

Quote:
Motorists speeding will face fines as frustrated police say they are sick and tired of the mounting road toll.
"It's not doing what I want so I will hit it with a stick."

csv8, do you have a link for that story? I'd like to warn as many people as possible.

Edit: Don't worry, found it.
http://www.news.com.au/national-news...-1226607127583

Last edited by EVLKNEVL; 27-03-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 27-03-2013, 03:31 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I suppose easter weekend double demerit point and fines will be the order of the day for some states?
Old 27-03-2013, 03:41 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

One of the worst things about driving back in Australia after Central Europe is that, over there, there is no worry about discretion to exceed the highway speed limit to complete a maneouvre like overtaking safely - spending as little time on the wrong side of the road and getting well clear of the vehicle you've just passed. Common sense approach.

Here, you're watching the speedo constantly because of the radars, very stressful and distracting from safe, attentive driving. Really the opposite of road safety. I hate it with a vengeance.
Old 27-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #13
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have a crazy idea, what if people just don't go above the speed limit?
Then they wouldn't get a fine. Or is that just silly?
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 03:53 PM   #14
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
It took until post 13 for the simpletons to come out to play

So you have never gone 1km/h over the limit I take it?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 27-03-2013, 04:01 PM   #15
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner View Post
It took until post 13 for the simpletons to come out to play

So you have never gone 1km/h over the limit I take it?
I have & do frequently, But I just make sure I just dont do it at Easter.

Well there is a simple solution. I just make sure I dont speed at this time of year.

Everyone know that Easter & Christmas is cash register time for the government. Extra police swarm the roads. We all know this, every year. It never changes.

I, myself, every year coming up to these periods always change my driving style to make sure I am below the limit. Not much, 5 or so. It negates this issue. So for 4 or so weeks in a year I am slower & more assertive. Just to ensure I dont receive a unwanted gift from the government.

For the other 48 weeks of the year, I drive at my normal style. I know that there is more lax from the red & blue lights in addition to there being less of them.

Most say that there is a gestapo attitude most of the time, but this is true every year at these times. Use that knowledge, adapt your driving style when there is more chance of being caught & do what you do for the other 48 weeks of the year when there is less chance.

My basic message is just play along at Easter & Christmas don't bang on about. No matter how hard we raise voices at this time of the year, it will always be the same. Just roll with it.
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #16
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

No cop with half a brain will waste his time fining someone 1 km over, not when there's bigger fish to score.
5 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 04:14 PM   #17
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revolver 45 View Post
I have & do frequently, But I just make sure I just dont do it at Easter.

Well there is a simple solution. I just make sure I dont speed at this time of year.

Everyone know that Easter & Christmas is cash register time for the government. Extra police swarm the roads. We all know this, every year. It never changes.

I, myself, every year coming up to these periods always change my driving style to make sure I am below the limit. Not much, 5 or so. It negates this issue. So for 4 or so weeks in a year I am slower & more assertive. Just to ensure I dont receive a unwanted gift from the government.

For the other 48 weeks of the year, I drive at my normal style. I know that there is more lax from the red & blue lights in addition to there being less of them.

Most say that there is a gestapo attitude most of the time, but this is true every year at these times. Use that knowledge, adapt your driving style when there is more chance of being caught & do what you do for the other 48 weeks of the year when there is less chance.

My basic message is just play along at Easter & Christmas don't bang on about. No matter how hard we raise voices at this time of the year, it will always be the same. Just roll with it.
Fair call.
I would say the majority of people adjust their driving at easter/christmas to reduce the chance of fines, yet it has made no real difference to the number of serious incidents. Therefore it is a huge scam of govco trying to look as if it is doing something, while fining (taxing) people for an arbitrary infraction. A fine for a victimless crime. One that makes all of us non-law abiding citizens. At what point do we think that the government no longer governs for us, but against us?
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

6 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #18
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If they were serious about cutting the road toll, they wouldn't be doing it on the highways leading out of Brisbane on Easter Thursday!!! Anyone that has driven these roads around holiday periods knows you are battling to do 20km/h at the best of times.

They should be on the Bruce highway north of Gympie, the wide bay highway, warrego highway etc, that is where people are inattentive, tired etc.

Turbo XD Ute - Project Thread
6 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 04:18 PM   #19
tweeked
N/A all the way

And just like a speed camera, they will be sitting on the safest, widest easiest to accidentally slip a few k's over piece of road that they can find.

Old 27-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #20
cobramania
FPV BFII GT Cobra No.249

Quote:
Extra police will be called in from other duties to take part in high-visibility and covert operations, targeting everything from defect cars and seatbelts to tired, inattentive and drunk motorists.
That's fine, but until it's too late, how can any cop, know whether someone is driving tired or inattentively, & when they pull them over how do you prove it?
I believe, tired & inattentiveness probably causes more accidents than speeding, but how do you Police it? I could be looking out the windscreen driving along in a daydream, I don't have to be playing with my phone, interacting with the fighting kids in the back seat or looking at/talking to the passenger next to me, to be inattentive.

Quote:
"There will be times that we will be shutting down certain highways at any given time," he said.
And that's not going to make motorists frustrated, angry & more likely to speed, because they've been held up is it?

What's going to happen/be the statement if the road toll isn't reduced & is just as bad or worse than last year?
Old 27-03-2013, 04:33 PM   #21
Mighty Reds
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is of course much more important to be constantly checking your speedo than watching the road.
3 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 04:47 PM   #22
fanboi
Banned

My new fiesta reads slower than actual speed
Old 27-03-2013, 04:51 PM   #23
XPL37V

As above but throw in some road signs, other drivers, maybe some roadworks and it all becomes a bit much for 1km/h over imo
Old 27-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #24
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

5 die on qld roads due to drivers looking at their speedo and not the road

minister runs out of ideas on how to reduce road toll - rules out better driver training and skills programs as too costly

QLD minister says we need gps trackers in cars to fine people automatically for going 1km over the speed limit.

QLD road toll continues to increase as study finds people spend 10% of their time looking at their speedo while driving - for some unknown reason this causes them not to see road hazards.

Minister gives up and just decides to fine every one $500 a year for speeding (called a safety surcharge on your rego - if you dont record an offence you get 50% of that fee back after submitting a claim ($50 processing fee)
Old 27-03-2013, 05:12 PM   #25
In Focus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Yes, indeed. They (the authorities) have warned the public. If you get caught now, then there is no point complaining about it. Drive beneath the limit, and you won't get fined.

Whether it's a smart or actual life-saving move is another point altogether.

Hers: 2020 Ford Puma JK: 1.0 Ecoboost 3-cylinder, 7-speed DCT in Frozen White.
Old 27-03-2013, 05:22 PM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

And I thought being pinged for 105 in a 100 zone two weeks ago was a total load of s***.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 05:24 PM   #27
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
And I thought being pinged for 105 in a 100 zone two weeks ago was a total load of s***.
Didn't you know that every K over is a killer and not the thousands of drunk, drugged, tired, fatigued, inattentive and just plain bad drivers?
Old 27-03-2013, 05:39 PM   #28
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

I think it's funny that I can do 110km/h in NSW on the highway and not instantly die, but can't do 101km/h in QLD.

Oo\===/oO
Old 27-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #29
Kable72
Parts Interpreter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty View Post
I think it's funny that I can do 110km/h in NSW on the highway and not instantly die, but can't do 101km/h in QLD.
Mate, the laws of physics change dramatically as soon as you cross the invisible line.
8 users like this post:
Old 27-03-2013, 05:52 PM   #30
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Coming from a border town in western QLD, I can tell you that it's not just the physics that change once you cross that line!

Oo\===/oO
Closed Thread