Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-10-2008, 02:49 PM   #1
james22
With da Warlords

Thumbs up Exhaust finally complete

Hey guys.

Just thought i'd post up and let you know that after over 1 and a half years I've finally finished my exhaust system :

It ended up costing me a little over a $1100, which was a hell of a lot better than the $1900 I was orginally quoted.

Speccies;

Pacemaker Tri y's Extractors
High flow 2.5" cats
Twin 2.5" custom system
Twin hi flow mufflers with the resonator at the rear.

Obviously anybody that knows my car, would now realise its no longer competing in a decibel race with a jumbo jet lol, But in all seriousness, even though it doesn't sound as good as before, the performance gained (torque ) easily outweighs the audible pleasure.

I can't believe how much difference this has made to the Idle - 3500 rpm rev range. I reccomend to anyone that has butchered their exhaust like I had, to get it done properly asap. I couldn't be happier with it now.

P.S - Even though it doesn't sound as "Good now" (B.S loud), it definitely has a much cleaner, crisper and deeper note.

Now all I need to do is get the baby down to Autotech, so Spiro can fix my shocking AFR's - Mid to low 10's :

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
james22 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 02:54 PM   #2
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Good stuff James! can't wait to see and hear the work done!

Going on the Albury cruise? would be a great way to let others hear the difference
Old 22-10-2008, 02:55 PM   #3
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hahaha i loved the way your exhaust sounded james. Was just out of this world how good you got it sounding. Although power was being hella restircted it sounded like a animal.

It would still sound great now i would assume though. Im a big fan of your car anyways. So wild exhaust or flowing exhaust it doesnt matter. Power would be up around 290ish now yeah maybe more?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 03:12 PM   #4
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Good stuff James! can't wait to see and hear the work done!

Going on the Albury cruise? would be a great way to let others hear the difference
Cheers adam. I was thinking about it mate, but I think the Mrs will be working so that one's probably out :-(

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 22-10-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For research and posted write up on cooling system care and repair in AU.COM and offering help where possible 

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Cheers adam. I was thinking about it mate, but I think the Mrs will be working so that one's probably out :-(
Well i was going to ask if i could bludge a seat and help cover fuel costs...
Old 22-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #6
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Hahaha i loved the way your exhaust sounded james. Was just out of this world how good you got it sounding. Although power was being hella restircted it sounded like a animal.

It would still sound great now i would assume though. Im a big fan of your car anyways. So wild exhaust or flowing exhaust it doesnt matter. Power would be up around 290ish now yeah maybe more?
Yeah mate, last time it was on a dyno it pulled 274rwhp, I don't think I've gained much power in the topend. It might pull 10 or 15hp or so more than before, but its the low to midrange where it really shines now.

As you know it just used to make a s%^t load of noise until about 3500, and then it would open up, where as now it just hammers from the get go. I'm loving it, Don't seem to be getting any better fuel economy yet though

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 22-10-2008, 03:17 PM   #7
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUEPRINT
Well i was going to ask if i could bludge a seat and help cover fuel costs...
Great minds must think alike, cause if I was gonna go, I was gonna ask you the same thing

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 22-10-2008, 03:18 PM   #8
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yeah mate, last time it was on a dyno it pulled 274rwhp, I don't think I've gained much power in the topend. It might pull 10 or 15hp or so more than before, but its the low to midrange where it really shines now.

As you know it just used to make a s%^t load of noise until about 3500, and then it would open up, where as now it just hammers from the get go. I'm loving it, Don't seem to be getting any better fuel economy yet though
Time to change your sig then

Good to see your happy, it's amazing what a decent system can do.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 03:21 PM   #9
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell
Time to change your sig then

Good to see your happy, it's amazing what a decent system can do.
Not wrong there. I didn't realise how much torque I'd lost, till I picked the car up after it was finished. Felt like somebody dropped a fat 347 in while I was away

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 22-10-2008, 03:22 PM   #10
InfernoSR
Sales Representative

Quote:
Great minds must think alike, cause if I was gonna go, I was gonna ask you the same thing
I'm afraid that my car wont make it down and back in 1 piece just yet...
Old 22-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #11
fordAU

Sounds good James, out of interest did you include any crossover pipe or is she just twin straight through ? also you are making some serious power, 274 rwhp is damn good.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordAU
Sounds good James, out of interest did you include any crossover pipe or is she just twin straight through ? also you are making some serious power, 274 rwhp is damn good.
Yeah just got the standard H crossover. I wanted a X pipe for the extra scavenging effect, however I was advised to stay with the H pipe. Apparently they can sit closer to the cats (what advantage this has I have NFI lol), and with the current setup, the exhaust bloke said it would make SFA difference anyway.

274rwhp is good, But the magic 300 i'm aiming for is better

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 22-10-2008, 03:48 PM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Yeah just got the standard H crossover. I wanted a X pipe for the extra scavenging effect, however I was advised to stay with the H pipe. Apparently they can sit closer to the cats (what advantage this has I have NFI lol), and with the current setup, the exhaust bloke said it would make SFA difference anyway.

274rwhp is good, But the magic 300 i'm aiming for is better
Be less worried about all out power and concentrate on torque, these are Windsors. As I've also found a good oil can make a hell of a lot of difference over a decent oil. I've changed from Nulon oil to Penrite SIN and the difference was amazing, if I read about what the difference was on here as opposed to actually feeling it I would have called BS.

Remember, peak power is for dyno queens. Torque is for speed.
Old 22-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
fordAU

Quote:
Yeah just got the standard H crossover. I wanted a X pipe for the extra scavenging effect, however I was advised to stay with the H pipe.
Thanks for that, I am also running a twin but with no H or X, not sure what benefits if any there are but I guess that's another discussion, look forward to hearing how she goes after a tune.

Cheers.
fordAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 03:54 PM   #15
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Be less worried about all out power and concentrate on torque, these are Windsors. As I've also found a good oil can make a hell of a lot of difference over a decent oil. I've changed from Nulon oil to Penrite SIN and the difference was amazing, if I read about what the difference was on here as opposed to actually feeling it I would have called BS.

Remember, peak power is for dyno queens. Torque is for speed.
^^^ I agree 100% mate. How many threads have we both seen with people talking up hp on dyno sheets.... The real proof in the pudding is the torque across the rev range and 1/4 mile time.

So you like the SIN stuff then? You think it freed up your engine a bit? What about noise??? Last time I tried synthetic oil I though i'd busted another valvespring lol, way too noisy. Let me know :togo:

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 22-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
^^^ I agree 100% mate. How many threads have we both seen with people talking up hp on dyno sheets.... The real proof in the pudding is the torque across the rev range and 1/4 mile time.

So you like the SIN stuff then? You think it freed up your engine a bit? What about noise??? Last time I tried synthetic oil I though i'd busted another valvespring lol, way too noisy. Let me know :togo:
I am loving the SIN and it has definitely been a good thing for mine. It also stays clean a lot longer. My engine will be a hell of a lot better built than your and is a lot tighter too remember but it comes in a heap of different weights now so it will just be a matter of finding what is best for you.
Old 22-10-2008, 08:13 PM   #17
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Good to hear mate. What were the old exhaust specs?

Who wants to talk about X and H pipes and their advantages/disadvantages. I am wanting to get one done for mine.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2008, 09:27 PM   #18
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

Who wants to talk about X and H pipes and their advantages/disadvantages. I am wanting to get one done for mine.
There's a really good article in this month's Street Machine about exhaust options with input from Darren Difilipo. Its worth a read.
Old 22-10-2008, 11:48 PM   #19
HLC
Audi S3

your exhaust sounded AUsome B&S. chuck up a clip of it now James!
Old 23-10-2008, 08:29 AM   #20
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
I am loving the SIN and it has definitely been a good thing for mine. It also stays clean a lot longer. My engine will be a hell of a lot better built than your and is a lot tighter too remember but it comes in a heap of different weights now so it will just be a matter of finding what is best for you.
Well I'm due for an oil change, I may as well change it before the albury cruise. So I suppose I'll try to find a 10 or 15w-40 and try it out. Let ya know what I reckon when we meet up at albury .

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 23-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #21
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty

The specs before was;

Paccy extractors, into the original 2 1/4 press bent system. Through the original (and rooted cats) into an enlarged 2.5" exhaust, STRAIGHT THROUGH to the back lol, with one tiny little muffler at the back.

It was effin loud, heheh. As the exhaust bloke said to me when I picked it up

"Well mate she sounds good now, Doesn't look like I'll have to order you that bullbar and 15 aerials lol"

As for X and H pipes, I don't mind anyone discusses it in here, wouldn't mind working out a few things myself

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 23-10-2008, 08:35 AM   #22
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
your exhaust sounded AUsome B&S. chuck up a clip of it now James!
I would, but I don't have anything that can record sound. Not with any decent quality. What does everyone else use?

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 23-10-2008, 09:22 AM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Well I'm due for an oil change, I may as well change it before the albury cruise. So I suppose I'll try to find a 10 or 15w-40 and try it out. Let ya know what I reckon when we meet up at albury .
Not sure if you can get that weight, I'm using a 5w 60.
Old 23-10-2008, 09:31 AM   #24
james22
With da Warlords

I think that will be too light for me... Any less than 10, preferably 15 and she gets a bit rattly...

All good. Just checked their website and they sell it from 0 weight up to 20 weight in the sin stuff. So I'll try the Sin 10

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Last edited by james22; 23-10-2008 at 09:37 AM.
Old 23-10-2008, 06:03 PM   #25
Andy XR8
AU3 Winged Windsor

i'm using 15/40 SIN. love it
Andy XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post