Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 23-06-2021, 11:27 AM   #1381
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 
Default Re: Depression, Anxiety

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Thanks for posting these every day, I don't know about others, but I am finding them very informative.

I also made a donation towards your goal.
Hey DFB, just saw your post. Thanks so much for making a donation, I really appreciate it. And most importantly, your support will mean that a young aussie may just get the support they need to get them through a tough time.

No need to thank me; all I'm doing is copying and pasting from their website . The Pushuip Challenge are doing all the hard work, not me. As long as someone is getting benefit out of it, then that's all I need.

After 220 pushups yesterday, today's total of 75 is a relief!

Early intervention is important
Day 23 – 75 push-ups
Early intervention: 75% of all mental illnesses will first develop before the age of 25. Suicide is the leading cause of death for Aussies aged 15-44, so the supports, education, and strategies put in place at this time of life can be crucial. Youth mental health services, such as headspace, provide assistance to young Australians experiencing a mental illness.

You can find out more about headspace, you can do so here:

https://headspace.org.au/

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 10:07 AM   #1382
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Penultimate day of The Pushup Challenge. 177 pushups today and 90 tomorrow.

Aussie Veterans are at increased risk
Day 24 – 177 push-ups
Aussie Veterans are at increased risk: Australian veterans, who have transitioned out of active ADF service, are at greatly increased risk of PTSD, suicide, and other mental health disorders. A report from the ADF estimated that 17.7% of veterans met the criteria for PTSD in the past 12 months, and about a quarter of all veterans will experience the disorder in their lifetime. This is about 3x higher than the national rate. Veterans think about, plan, or attempt suicide ten times more often than other Australians.

Symptoms of PTSD can include intrusive memories, flashbacks, or dreams about a traumatic event, avoiding things that remind us of a trauma, strong negative beliefs about oneself, and being easily angered or startled. These symptoms can occur in anyone who has experienced, witnessed, or been exposed to the aftermath of a traumatic event.

Open Arms offers support for veterans who are experiencing mental illness, and their families:

https://www.openarms.gov.au

My charity is the local headspace here in Sale (despite what it says on the donation page), so I appreciate that some may not necessarily want to donate to such a specific location, but if anyone is still motivated to donate, you can do so via this link: https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.au/pushuperer/127050

I am extremely grateful for any donations made.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

5 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 09:18 PM   #1383
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Penultimate day of The Pushup Challenge. 177 pushups today and 90 tomorrow.

Come on Craig, you have another 27 to go!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #1384
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

We’ve just lost one of our visiting care workers, she had to step aside due to issues with serious depression. All our provider could do was keep apologising to us. When I repeatedly pressed them on the point that this person should be helped - not discarded - it became a matter for evasion.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2021, 10:33 PM   #1385
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Come on Craig, you have another 27 to go!
12 now

PS Thanks for your support. It is greatly appreciated!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2021, 11:09 PM   #1386
mondeomatureguy

Hi guys,
I am far from an expert on Depression or Anxiety and can only go on my life experiences.

In 2010 i was driving a Truck and one of my delivery destinations was The Matthew Talbot Hostel a Homeless Shelter in Woolloomooloo in Sydney.
i would deliver 2 pallets of pasta too them every few weeks.

When these men had something to do or just somebody to chat too they were different men.
The man who ran the Kitchen would come out and bring me a cup of Coffee and say to me " The guys here look forward to you coming here so if its ok with you they will unload the truck as it gives them something to do".

I was fine with that and we would chat while they were unloading the truck.
When it was all done " they asked me When will i be here again and i told them in a few more weeks".

I looked forward to going there as the guys were more then happy unload the truck and i felt good because it got them away from there tuff life they were living and took there mind off things even if it was for a short time.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2021, 12:28 PM   #1387
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today is the final day of the Pushup Challenge, and hence, the last day I'll be posting the related mental health facts. I know that at least some of you have found them of interest, but more importantly, I hope that some of you found them to be of some use.

A big thank you to those of you who have so generously contributed to my fund raising efforts. Not that this has been a focus for me, but it is pleasing to see that people have dug deep into their pockets to help out others.

Spending time in nature is an antidote for stress
Day 25 – 90 push-ups
Nature: 90 minutes of time spent in nature can decrease your blood pressure, improve immune function, decrease depressive symptoms, and actually change the brain’s activity. A 90 minute nature walk can decrease activation in the area of our brains associated with ruminating (negative thoughts).

So even though it might be winter right now, it’s worth finding your closest green space and soaking up the mental health benefits of the great outdoors while you pump out those push-ups.

Check out this blog on exercising outdoors.
https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.a...rcise-outdoors

And one last push to raise some funds for my nominated charity:

My charity is the local headspace here in Sale (despite what it says on the donation page), so I appreciate that some may not necessarily want to donate to such a specific location, but if anyone is still motivated to donate, you can do so via this link: https://www.thepushupchallenge.com.au/pushuperer/127050

I am extremely grateful for any donations made.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 25-06-2021, 12:50 PM   #1388
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great work Fox. Now I noticed you were somewhat short on day 1 imagine if you made up for it on the final day .

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 25-06-2021, 02:49 PM   #1389
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Great work Fox. Now I noticed you were somewhat short on day 1 imagine if you made up for it on the final day .
Cheers T. Yeah, at the start of the challenge I just didn't have the fitness to achieve full target with just pushups, and they hadn't really promoted the use of alternate exercises at that stage. Suffice to say, I've completed more than the target over the entire duration, but I just don't feel like it's right to go back and back fill.

Either way, I'm chuffed with getting so many days full completion.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 26-06-2021, 11:53 PM   #1390
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

My friend who has been a massive support over the last few years dropped in at work this afternoon to grab a few things. As she walked in the gate I just knew straight away something was not right. I quietly asked if she was ok, and as suspected, no was the answer. We had a quick chat, as best I could given the public setting. I checked in with her again after lunch and again this evening.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just the simple act of asking "are you ok" can be so helpful to someone struggling. Too often people will keep stuff hidden or people don't show the initiative to ask if someone needs to talk.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2021, 12:56 AM   #1391
slowsnake
Banned

You have good intuition, my friend and neighbour is the same, I always know when she wants to talk, and its just stuff, she talks and I listen, then maybe I talk or maybe I dont!.but she always tells me " thanks for listening"

Its a feel good thing, and both parties benefit.
Cool.

Cheers King Billy
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2021, 06:42 PM   #1392
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
My friend who has been a massive support over the last few years dropped in at work this afternoon to grab a few things. As she walked in the gate I just knew straight away something was not right. I quietly asked if she was ok, and as suspected, no was the answer. We had a quick chat, as best I could given the public setting. I checked in with her again after lunch and again this evening.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, just the simple act of asking "are you ok" can be so helpful to someone struggling. Too often people will keep stuff hidden or people don't show the initiative to ask if someone needs to talk.
100%

I know people have asked me face to face if Im ok before. But the timing is usually off when the question was asked. Not to mention having to rehash the emotions of reliving the experience or situation to explain it to some one who asked can be painful.

I'm not speaking for all people here. Just me in general. I will tend to say "Im fine" when someone asks me if Im ok just to avoid the circumstances of that time until I can regroup and simmer down.

Down the track, when someone asks me again, I usually open up more depending on the person.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2021, 07:46 AM   #1393
sneaky
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been feeling pretty good lately, getting my sleep sorted (CPAP machine), a new romantic interest, some direction at work in a new team.

I stopped taking meds late last week (50mg Zoloft) and yesterday I remembered the joys of the 'brain zaps' that coincide with stopping the meds.. the afternoon/evening was not so great but I got through the grocery shopping, instructed my son on cooking dinner and even had a few rounds of fortnite with him on the playstation.

the brain zaps seem to have vanished so far this morning
Old 30-06-2021, 06:29 PM   #1394
MercuryT
Banned

Hi all.
Hope those who struggle (like me) with depression are going ok.

I was arrested and in a holding cell with no clothes........

Was an extremely difficult experience and one of which I will never go through again.

No charges or anything but I assure you having your anus checked for weapons or drugs is not something anyone would want to.experience.

I'm out with zero charges but it's hard to forget.

Stay safe all as it's an ongoing battle.

Merc
MercuryT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #1395
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MercuryT View Post
Hi all.
Hope those who struggle (like me) with depression are going ok.

I was arrested and in a holding cell with no clothes........

Was an extremely difficult experience and one of which I will never go through again.

No charges or anything but I assure you having your anus checked for weapons or drugs is not something anyone would want to.experience.

I'm out with zero charges but it's hard to forget.

Stay safe all as it's an ongoing battle.

Merc
Whoa bro, glad you're ok. But dam what an ordeal to go through.

I dont think anyone here will be willing say getting cavity searched is fun.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 11:18 PM   #1396
MercuryT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval View Post
Whoa bro, glad you're ok. But dam what an ordeal to go through.

I dont think anyone here will be willing say getting cavity searched is fun.
I'm ok thanks mate.

I appreciate your msg.

I'm claustrophobic and I asked to have a light on and told to "f--- off" plus I didn't have my medication.

Was an experience I'd never wish upon anyone.

Stay strong mate and fellow top people on here as I know I certainly very much appreciate it.
3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2021, 02:38 AM   #1397
MercuryT
Banned

Avicii made great music.

Young, good looking talented star.

Killed himself.

None of us are better ok so stay safe
Old 01-07-2021, 09:27 AM   #1398
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I'm a Triple M listener, particularly whilst working.

Today, the Triple M network is holding it's 3rd annual 'No Talk' day; the network is ceasing it's normal on air discussion, banter, news bulletins etc to allow people the opportunity to start a conversation with their mates in a mental health discussion. This link provides some practical advice on mental health:

https://www.triplem.com.au/shows/tri...8-ad57004c23ac

Remember, any day is an appropriate day to ask your mates, work colleagues or family, "Are you ok?".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

6 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2021, 11:56 PM   #1399
zilo
BANNED

Anyone noticed their kids demeanor change all of a sudden for no apparent reason?

We were watching TV the other night, it was a good show.

Son's face changed really weird after he looked on his phone, it was like a curtain dropped in front of him.

Turns out someone had said something on some stupid social media site about him that upset him.

It peaves me off that idiots have direct access to our lounge rooms....24/7.

what to do?

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2021, 05:44 AM   #1400
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Anyone noticed their kids demeanor change all of a sudden for no apparent reason?

Son's face changed really weird after he looked on his phone, it was like a curtain dropped in front of him.

Turns out someone had said something on some stupid social media site about him that upset him.

what to do?

How old are they? Are they at an age where its not creepy for you to ask whats ticking them off, or even to monitor what they do (e.g. befriend them on FB so you can see whats being said)? Do you know which social media platform it is?

I don't have kids, but its one of my biggest concerns with my nephew and niece. Have heard too many horrid stories of how wrong it can go if left unchecked. Trouble is, you can't see what is actually going on. I always joke with them that if anyone tries to bully them, then call on me, and I'll sort it out More of an external reassurance thing. Does it work? Not sure. My sis limits their electronic time also.

Having a good circle of friends outside can provide reassurance for them, so definitely encourage that. But if it is that same circle of "friends" causing it, then its a problem. You then need to change their environment....new hobbies.....new friends.

Trouble is, it may not be something said at all. Psychologists have found that something as silly as not getting "likes" can have a huge emotional impact on some people. Apparently getting "likes" gives some people a hit similar to cocaine....jeepers. So imagine the opposite...not that I would know the feeling.

Its a difficult problem to solve, but I think having a good circle of friends outside is the key. BTW this doesn't just happen to kids. I notice it with my dad, I can tell when he has has a bit of a biff with his whatsapp group. The behaviour just changes instantly. Sometimes even I get a bit peeved at certain things said, but then I turn around, show my mates what some old git on the internet said, we have a laugh and move on.

Its good that you have noticed it and started to ask questions. That is a start! My nephew's school actually ran a training course for them on how to deal with social media, he is under 10, if they are in the same age group I can find out the course and pass it on. It was actually quite funny but had some important lessons.

Rides (past and present)

3 users like this post:
Old 05-07-2021, 04:34 PM   #1401
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

what to do?
Mr Zilo, and others. Might be useful for the young lads....depending on age.....nip in the bud before it becomes a problem.

https://www.commonsense.org/educatio...al-citizenship

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 06-07-2021, 09:19 PM   #1402
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 10-07-2021, 10:44 PM   #1403
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 11-07-2021, 11:53 PM   #1404
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Im-Only-Talki.../dp/B07JFFBZLW
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 12:08 AM   #1405
leesa

Quote:

what to do?
I don't have kids.. but.. build resilience in them. Not encouraging violence or "how to man up" but finding healthy coping mechanisms, managing emotions, encouraging communication rather than shutting it down, etc. They're going to face criticism in life and will need to learn how to cope with it else it will eat them alive.

https://kidshelpline.com.au/teens/is...ing-resilience
https://healthyfamilies.beyondblue.o...ing-resilience

https://dollysdream.org.au/do-it-for-dolly-day/
https://dollysdream.org.au/parent-hu...Dolly%27sDream
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 01:45 AM   #1406
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

[QUOTE=leesa;6601473]Not encouraging violence or "how to man up"

Regardless of topic, Can’t resist a crack,eh Germaine?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2021, 11:39 AM   #1407
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmmmm. Not advocating violence, but I think there does come a time when you do need to "man up" when dealing with bullies. In my experience "softly softly" doesn't always cut it with bullies, and running away or ignoring it can make mental health worse in the long run. Don't bully, and don't get bullied. This goes for school, online, work place, social etc. IMHO.

Sometimes, I wonder if the growth in mental health issues amongst kids is because they feel as though they can't express and release.

Rides (past and present)

2 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 03:19 PM   #1408
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

what to do?
Hey zilo, late to the party with this one, but I hope I can help out a little.

I've noticed a bit lately that Dolly's Dream have been advertising a lot. Some on here may remember Dolly, she was a 14 year old that committed suicide in 2018 after suffering bullying.

Dolly's parents started Dolly's Dream with the goal to change cultures and behaviours to prevent bullying, by increasing understanding of the impact of bullying, anxiety, depression, and youth suicide and by providing support to parents.

They have support tools for parents of youth suffering from bullying, which from what you describe, may be what your son is going through.

The Dolly's Dream Parents Hub may have some resources that can help you navigate through your current situation.

It can be hard to know what you can do as a parent for someone who is being bullied. My advice is to make sure you offer frequently to talk to them about what is going on, and ensure you keep interacting with them, even if they don't want to talk about it at that point. If they want to talk, by them knowing you are available, you give them the best opportunity to do that.

Reach out to as many people as you can to get advice; use the resources of Beyond Blue, Lifeline, etc to get as many ideas as you can; what works for one may not work for another, so the more tools you have available in your kit, the better.

And, most importantly IMHO, don't give up! It can be hard if one approach you try doesn't work. It's even harder when the second doesn't work. And again on the third attempt. But just remember the goal here, it's to keep your loved one safe. It's worth the effort!

All the best, mate, and I hope that some of this is of some use to you and your son.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old 12-07-2021, 10:51 PM   #1409
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Didn't take my SSRI medication for two days and started to experience withdrawal systems. So much for the claims made decades ago that this type of medication is not addictive! All good now.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-07-2021, 11:42 PM   #1410
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Didn't take my SSRI medication for two days and started to experience withdrawal systems. So much for the claims made decades ago that this type of medication is not addictive! All good now.
Don't know what that is, but it's always good to hear people getting off the drugs..... Provided is safe to do so.

Rides (past and present)