Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > Project Builds (non Car)

Project Builds (non Car) Here is an area where you can show / discuss other non car builds be they bikes, caravans, boats, BBQ's or whatever.

Old 24-07-2021, 06:17 PM   #301
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 
Default Re: DFB's Greenthumb Project

Lockdown Day 9 -

FINALLY managed to finish off mulching my back garden.

I find having a tarp down first makes the cleanup of all the dregs at the end much easier.

Once I had that all emptied, I was on a roll and decided to refresh the gravel paths. Again, a job that I have had on the to do list for too long. The extra time on my hands allows me get this one off the list too.

Can your dual cab do this -

1.5 cubic metres of rock certainly had an effect of rear ride height!

Many wheel barrows later, the cleanup involved simply gathered the ends of the tarp and tipping the dregs into the barrow.

This is a garden that will now be much easier for me to maintain and be more forgiving of neglect than before. It's just a matter of letting things grown now, watering and mowing as required. You will also notice a bare patch in the lawn, which was once home to very large Acer Negundo. Over the years, the underground root structure has rotted away and the ground had subsided. Again, another one day job, today I filled it in and now the wait begins for the lawn, like the rest of the garden, for spring to arrive and start growing again.

Eighteen thousand steps, 1.5 m2 of rock and 1 m2 of mulch, DFB is worn out tonight.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2021, 06:32 PM   #302
anobserver
Oppressive patriarch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I was reflecting on how many times I’ve had bites/stings from critters. A lot, it seems. Most recent notable one was a spider or ant bite right on the waistband. It festered and left a deep crater about 4mm across. Compared to “normal” wounds - cat scratches, scrapes from branches, workplace grazes, it was far slower to heal and a significantly deeper infection.

Does anyone else enjoy such luck?
I seem to regularlry get nipped by green ants, miscellaneous bugs and from pruning our many bouganvilleas, who seem largely unbothered by our clay-based soil.

Lately im carrying multiple scratches and scars from pruning the snowdrop/snowflake trees i planted along the front. They are 15 years old and grew a good sized canopy this year.

BA RTV.

Last edited by anobserver; 24-07-2021 at 06:33 PM. Reason: Spelling
anobserver is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-08-2021, 06:04 PM   #303
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Once of my favorite jobs, pruning roses.

In this area, pruning roses is best left till later in winter to prevent the plants re-shooting and being damaged by frost.

I'm from the smash em hard school, the main aim is to prevent them from building up a collection of older and less productive wood. This is especially true for standard roses to prevent them becoming too tall and top heavy.

Mustang GT

5 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2021, 01:31 PM   #304
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Winter is the best time to do that sort of thing, so if you are going to try it, do it now.

General rule of thumb is to firstly prune the plant back by about a third, helping to reduce the amount the root system has to support. Dig the plant up, taking as much of the root system as you can, pruning any larger roots that get damaged. Have your transplant hole already dug. Water in well, perhaps with a product from Multi-crop called "Plant Starter", this will encourage the development of new roots. Apply that every 7 -10 days.
Just finished, my timeline was a bit disrupted by people dying but it’s split, heavily pruned, half replanted and both sites watered in with ~10 litres Multicrop solution at the recommended dilution rate. Needed my round nose shovel, my narrow post hole shovel, the wide-tipped crowbar and recipro saw! Thanks for the encouragement.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2021, 02:44 PM   #305
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Traps for young players this time of year...

I pick some self sown parsley to garnish my fava beans on toast, not wearing glasses.

The leaves seemed a different texture when I chop them.

Closer inspection with glasses revealed I had harvested some of the wifes ranunculus.
Old 15-08-2021, 05:56 PM   #306
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Traps for young players this time of year...

I pick some self sown parsley to garnish my fava beans on toast, not wearing glasses.

The leaves seemed a different texture when I chop them.

Closer inspection with glasses revealed I had harvested some of the wifes ranunculus.
Oooops! I bet you were popular.
Mustang GT

2 users like this post:
Old 15-08-2021, 06:05 PM   #307
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Wouldn’t it give you the trots? Hopefully none was actually consumed.
Old 15-08-2021, 06:27 PM   #308
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Did a pre-sale clean-up at this property a few weeks ago, visiting again to give the lawns a quick once over prior to the hand-over next week.

Several of the very well established Camellia's were in full bloom, really lifting the rather bland landscape.

Also had a chance to play with these nifty Bosch powered secateurs, borrowed by one of my clients (doofus here forgot to put his own pair back in the tool box ).

https://www.bosch-diy.com/au/en/p/ea...08b2100-v50236
https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B08WSK8...A3JWKAKR8XB7XF

Powered by a lithium-ion battery, the concept here is when enough resistance is detected, the power function kicks in to assist in getting through thicker material. It made light work of pruning back an established Pomegranate tree. For lighter material, it works as any normal pair of secateurs would.
Mustang GT

Old 16-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #309
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Oooops! I bet you were popular.
She has not noticed and I don't see any reason to upset her with the information.

Lets just keep it between us!
Old 16-08-2021, 08:40 PM   #310
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Wouldn’t it give you the trots? Hopefully none was actually consumed.
Fortunately I noticed before it was too late.

I say I only need glasses for reading, but as I get on I actually need them for seeing...
Old 16-08-2021, 08:45 PM   #311
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Fortunately I noticed before it was too late.

I say I only need glasses for reading, but as I get on I actually need them for seeing...
Probably best you did!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ranunculus

"All Ranunculus (buttercup) species are poisonous when eaten fresh, but their acrid taste and the blistering of the mouth caused by their poison means they are usually left uneaten. Poisoning in livestock can occur where buttercups are abundant in overgrazed fields where little other edible plant growth is left, and the animals eat them out of desperation. Symptoms of poisoning include bloody diarrhea, excessive salivation, colic, and severe blistering of the mouth, mucous membranes and gastrointestinal tract. When Ranunculus plants are handled, naturally occurring ranunculin is broken down to form protoanemonin, which is known to cause contact dermatitis in humans and care should therefore be exercised in extensive handling of the plants.[11] The toxins are degraded by drying, so hay containing dried buttercups is safe."
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2021, 11:48 PM   #312
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

That’s a lot worse than I understood. Dodged a bullet there!

Are landscape soft or hard works locked down this time in Melbourne?
Old 17-08-2021, 07:38 AM   #313
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
That’s a lot worse than I understood. Dodged a bullet there!

Are landscape soft or hard works locked down this time in Melbourne?
Everything closed as I understand it, but an allowance to go on site to 'make safe'. So if you had open irrigation trenches or the like you are allowed to make safe.

My biggest maintenance client (spends 1K a month with me on the garden), is beside himself at what I am not doing in his garden in preparation for spring.

He informed me the subbies we use to renovate the lawns each year had been through last weekend. He added he had seen 3 other gardening crews at work during his morning walk. So was I sure I was not allowed to work?

I am sure and the government is paying me to stay at home, as I suspect other gardeners are. So I suspect there may be some ‘double dipping’ going on, with businesses claiming lockdown payments and working as well!

Sorry for the highjack DFB FGXR6
Old 17-08-2021, 07:12 PM   #314
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Everything closed as I understand it, but an allowance to go on site to 'make safe'. So if you had open irrigation trenches or the like you are allowed to make safe.

My biggest maintenance client (spends 1K a month with me on the garden), is beside himself at what I am not doing in his garden in preparation for spring.

He informed me the subbies we use to renovate the lawns each year had been through last weekend. He added he had seen 3 other gardening crews at work during his morning walk. So was I sure I was not allowed to work?

I am sure and the government is paying me to stay at home, as I suspect other gardeners are. So I suspect there may be some ‘double dipping’ going on, with businesses claiming lockdown payments and working as well!

Sorry for the highjack DFB FGXR6
Not a problem, vent away!

The lock down rules are being interpreted by people in different ways to suit their agenda. Each lock down leads me to reading the fine print to see if I am allowed to work, the last two have not allowed professional gardening services. The fact I work outdoors, work by myself and not coming into contact with a single person makes the decision to not allow gardeners to work baffling. Gardeners are generally self employed, you don't go out to work, you don't get paid! Mr. Politician gets paid regardless. There is also no consistency with the rules. The decision to classify $2 shops and Lotto agencies as essential is frankly idiotic.

The last two lock downs that applied to regional Victoria, I spotted several garden contractors on the roads. From what a colleague told me, I was allowed to do commercial properties, but not attend someones residence. Again, this is interpretation as there is nothing in the government information that specifically states this. Another colleague calls her work "care giving" as she is often the only person some of her elderly clients see all week.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 06:52 PM   #315
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

It's that time of the year when the deciduous Magnolia's are bursting into action

While there are a number of beautiful Magnolia's, my favorite is the most common, Magnolia Soulangeana or Saucer Magnolia. Good luck attempting to pronounce that, for those who want to try, it's Soul - lan - ge - ana.

My Grandmother had a old and established specimen in her back garden, when I see these flowering they always remind me of her and the garden I grew up in. I do seem to remember my Grandfather and Uncle being less enthused by the mess these trees make.

Deciduous Magnolia's are known to be very, very slow growing, eventually getting to about 7 metres. A very old and experienced English gardener once told me to never let these trees rest, plant them with plenty of rich compost and feed heavily in spring to keep them moving. They also like some shelter form hot summer winds. You will often see these trees in older estates, planted decades ago and still trucking along.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 26-08-2021, 07:11 PM   #316
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

We’re right on the cusp of seasons changing here. Some of the magnoliæ are just finishing their blooms, others in full leaf already. Same with prunus, the protected ones are just fading from a legendary year of blossoms.

I can’t see magnolia without thinking of the words to Strange Fruit, though. So they’re a bittersweet plant to me.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 06:09 PM   #317
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Had some mulch delivered this morning to make a mess of my front drive.

The intention being to top up the front garden and fill in a few areas that needed some extra on the back garden.

Before -

After -

Spring is most certainly on it's way, this Loropetalum 'China Pink' is putting on a show in a corner of the back yard.

Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 06:13 PM   #318
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

How's your knowledge on grape vines?
Old 27-08-2021, 07:06 PM   #319
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
How's your knowledge on grape vines?
Ornamental or fruiting?
Mustang GT

Old 27-08-2021, 07:34 PM   #320
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Ornamental or fruiting?
Fruiting, the main one is the green seedless type the other smaller one (out of camera range) has small red (black?) grapes ....'cept for last year when they sort've started growing then stopped

Just gave them they're winter haircut The Dragon Lady said I am supposed to spray them with some Sulphur stuff. She can't as she'll be in Hospital for about another week.

Old 27-08-2021, 07:52 PM   #321
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Fruiting, the main one is the green seedless type the other smaller one (out of camera range) has small red (black?) grapes ....'cept for last year when they sort've started growing then stopped

Just gave them they're winter haircut The Dragon Lady said I am supposed to spray them with some Sulphur stuff. She can't as she'll be in Hospital for about another week.

I would be spraying them with Lime Sulfur right now. This is a treatment best done in the winter to prevent burning the foliage. It treats a number of un-seen pests and diseases. You are going to hate doing it, the stuff smells really bad so plan on having a shower afterwards. Make sure to soak each and every part of the plant.

Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 27-08-2021, 09:05 PM   #322
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
I would be spraying them with Lime Sulfur right now. This is a treatment best done in the winter to prevent burning the foliage. It treats a number of un-seen pests and diseases. You are going to hate doing it, the stuff smells really bad so plan on having a shower afterwards. Make sure to soak each and every part of the plant.

Thank you, sounds like I'm in for a fun time tomorrow
Old 28-08-2021, 06:25 PM   #323
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Today's eye catcher, Pieris japonica.

These are incredibly slow growing shrubs that require a shaded position. They require rich soil and plenty of moisture in summer. The tiny white or pink bell-like flowers appear in clusters at the end of winter. Pieris is a pretty boring shrub for most of the year, but really shine when in flower.
Mustang GT

6 users like this post:
Old 30-08-2021, 07:24 PM   #324
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Two weeks in, and my transplanted Photinia is past maximum wilt, new growth is starting to show where it was budding before I shifted it. I realise there will be a three-to-six month window where it shakes down, but early signs are promising.

The “condolences” chilli bush is hanging in there, too. It was a bare-rooted gift from the chilli-mad father of a friend of my younger brother. Delivered in a bag, wrapped in damp newspaper - he obviously had confidence either in his plant stock or my hands.

And one of the more flamboyant family friends sent a huge bouquet immediately after the recent funeral, it included prunus cuttings time-set to blossom in the arrangement. They did, and one even started budding - so in a pot it has gone! Waste not, want not.
2 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 06:25 PM   #325
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

I posted in June about how the nursery I work for takes delivery of a large selection of bare-rooted trees. That is such a massive job, it keeps us busy for about 4 - 5 days sorting, labeling, pulling orders and then displaying them in sand beds. We then sell these through the winter without soil, hence the bare-root tag.

What doesn't sell is then potted. We also order surplus stock to pot so we can have enough to sell through to the next bare-root season. Now I say "pot", and while some of it does actually go into pots, the majority of the stock is put into 35, 45 or 75 litre grow bags. Do enough of those in a day and you will have a sore back like I do this evening!

This is only a small selection of the progress so far -

We order potting mix in bulk, stored in a holding bay and then loaded onto makeshift work stations, a trailer and a flat tray ute. It also means I get to play with these bad boys -

The whole process of retrieving the stock from the sand beds, trimming the roots, trimming the branches, preparing the bags with names, potting them, pricing them and finally carting them into stock ready for sale takes almost two weeks. It's a huge, huge job that coincidences with a big uptick in customer flow, so we are flat out. This year, the process has been slowed by Covid lockdown and staff shortages due to stop-and-stay orders.

So, next time you are at your local nursery looking to buy a tree, take a moment to appreciate the time and effort that goes into getting that item ready for you to buy.
Mustang GT

4 users like this post:
Old 03-09-2021, 07:20 PM   #326
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

for a man of your standards and quality that thing is a bl***y disgrace
time for you to have a day cleaning it.
Old 03-09-2021, 07:31 PM   #327
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
for a man of your standards and quality that thing is a bl***y disgrace
time for you to have a day cleaning it.
Ha ha, not my machine and I don't think the boss would approve of me detailing it!
Mustang GT

This user likes this post:
Old 07-09-2021, 06:20 PM   #328
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

A few Freesia's that are flowering in a pot on the back deck.

Mustang GT

3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:36 PM   #329
Rallye Sport
RS The Faster Fords

Any news on those potatoes you planted DFB?
I pulled ours over the weekend, we got a couple of kg's from each plant. It was quality over quantity though (I'm a bit of a potato snob, long story, I'll share if you have time)
Made a cracking potato salad with home grown spring onions and eggs from the girls out the back
FG XR50 Daily.
Rallye Sport is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-09-2021, 07:45 PM   #330
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rallye Sport View Post
Any news on those potatoes you planted DFB?
I pulled ours over the weekend, we got a couple of kg's from each plant. It was quality over quantity though (I'm a bit of a potato snob, long story, I'll share if you have time)
Made a cracking potato salad with home grown spring onions and eggs from the girls out the back
I have not been able to get back to the property I planted the potatoes at due to lockdowns so can give no update sorry.

Share away, I have all the time in the world these days.
Mustang GT

This user likes this post: