Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-10-2012, 11:28 AM   #1
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default its time.....selling our much loved camper...but finding it very hard

how does one do it.......we have owned a 1983 toyota Hi-Ace long wheel base, sopru conversion camper forever

no point in owning, registering, insuring a camper, camper trailer, camping trailer, and a caravan so time to sell some stuff

but after such a long relationship the camper is part of the family and has been treated as such

same driver, same mechanic for it's whole life.......gonna be very hard to watch her go out the gate

not sure if I can.....I've already pulled it off the market twice and refused to "show" her to a couple of purchasers that didn't fit my "requirements"

I didn't think they would look after her or treat her in the way she should be treated

I cant be the only nut that feels this way about their motor vehicle surely????

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 12:03 PM   #2
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Default Re: its time.....selling our much loved camper...but finding it very hard

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
how does one do it.......we have owned a 1983 toyota Hi-Ace long wheel base, sopru conversion camper forever

no point in owning, registering, insuring a camper, camper trailer, camping trailer, and a caravan so time to sell some stuff

but after such a long relationship the camper is part of the family and has been treated as such

same driver, same mechanic for it's whole life.......gonna be very hard to watch her go out the gate

not sure if I can.....I've already pulled it off the market twice and refused to "show" her to a couple of purchasers that didn't fit my "requirements"

I didn't think they would look after her or treat her in the way she should be treated

I cant be the only nut that feels this way about their motor vehicle surely????

Sorry Mate, it's an '83 Hiace, you are the only person in the world who would love it! lol

If you can keep it, do so. If not, sell to the first person who pays what you need. The best owner in the world could buy it, and they could get hit by a truck 10 minutes later. Once you move it on, you have the memories it provided, no matter what happens to it after.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: its time.....selling our much loved camper...but finding it very hard

It is hard because you are emotionally attached. It is like selling another home. The thing you are going to have to do is get past this, you can pick and choose who buys it but if you do that you will probably never sell it. Maybe get a friend to show it. So then your decision is only based financially.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 03:28 PM   #4
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Yep like when my missus sold her EL XR8. We both loved the vehicle , her much more then me but it was time for it to go and her to move up to something that wasnt such a pain to own as an everyday driver.
I got the job of selling it and I worked with the buyer so as the deal was all done and dusted while the missus was at work. That way she knew it was going but didnt have to see it leave the driveway with someone else driving it.
By the time she got home the car was gone , the notice of disposal put in and I just handed her a wad of $100 notes.
Still a sad day (I had put a lot of sweat and blood into the car) but nowhere near as sad as it could of been.
Get a trusted friend or relative thats not as attached to you to handle the deal , just give them a financial guideline to work too.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 03:36 PM   #5
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! at least someone understands my attachment to her.......I turned another 2 couples away just a while ago......bit young, scruffy and looked like they didn't care

may have to hand her to someone else and just let go but then i've still got to walk away and leave her behind

I dont reckon I could watch her going out the driveway!

very popular, hard to come by model and I've done a lot of work to her.....been a lot of places

bundles of memories tied in with her......

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 21-10-2012, 05:15 PM   #6
nstg8a

I guess it being an 83 model the value won't be that high, so the sale would attract a lot of backpackers and similar, so I think it's always going to be the young scruffy ones wanting it.

If you don't really need the coin I'd just derego it and retire the old girl.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 06:34 PM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That's the problem with selling campers, camper vans, and caravans...they're something with a limited market. Cars? Everyone wants one....but those things are restricted to first finding someone who is a "camper/caravan person", and second finding them when they want to purchase one.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 08:14 PM   #8
EASYBOSS
Matakana NZ
Donating Member3

can you post some pics for us, maybe a bunch of them with you using it
SOLD : BA XR8 4 Speed Auto in Mercury Silver, Bluepower CIA, Full Diffilipo Big Boy Quad System, Tune, 4.11 Diff Gears, FPV Starter Button, FPV GT Rear Spoiler, Tripod Gauges, PWR Trans Cooler. 230 RWKW's. Many thanks to Chris at Bluepower Racing Developments

Hers : F6X build #150 in Ego, Stock as a Rock, untill the warranty runs out, including the extended one.

My Work Wagon AU Futura Wagon in Gold.

On the Farm : Ford 6600 Tractor
EASYBOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

money is not the reason for selling nor are the finances needed......simply a matter of "cutting down"

plenty of folks from all ages and walks want her but I find I'm really not interested in selling.......I keep coming up with all sorts of reasons not to

I think it may be an excuse to build another shed and retire her.......it's like one of my kids leaving home never to return....cant bear the thought

very strange finding myself so attached

Old 21-10-2012, 09:19 PM   #10
Cam
Stroking it...

As you know, I recently parted my pride and joy in order to head off on a trip around OZ, so I certainly know how you feel! Hell I even sold a pushbike that I'd had since I was 15, as it rolled down the driveway into the back of a clapped out VN commo with steelies (and 3 kids under 4years) my heart sank, knowing my baby was not going to live happily ever after.. In hindsight I wished I had taken the time to sell it online (rather then garage sale) and sift through potential buyers until you find someone who you are comfortable with..

The only advice I can give, is if you sell it, use the money to purchase something you want. Upgrades for the BA, or the caravan, that way you can see, use, and enjoy the fruits of your sacrifice!

To be honest, personally I went the other way.. I parted out the car, removed the VIN plates... Because if I can't have her, then nobody else can.. So somewhere in China a perfectly straight black AU Fairmont is being crushed to make a Ssangyong.. I am not sure if that is better or worse then being used and abused my someone else, as I have the feeling that I "killed" something I built, that was the hardest part..

P.S. Your timing sucks! I was initially looking for a well setup van so I could tow a Camper trailer and all I could find were crapbox vans that'd been used and abused by backpackers!

All the best Dave!
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 09:40 PM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

this old girl is immaculate...presented in an unusual blue colour

full professional sopru fit-out

Gitsham aluminium bullbar with driving lights

Gitsham rear step

side awning by Sar Major

rear annexe by Sar Major

Uhf radio

6 stacker cd

dual 100 amp batteries

redarc battery isolator

onboard auto 240v charger

inbuilt water tank

3 way fridge

whale pump

there are a lot of "junky" old campers but this one is and always has been a "special" one......a real head turner wherever we have taken her

I have her still up for sale but it will take a special couple for me to hand her over

Last edited by poppa smurf; 21-10-2012 at 09:57 PM.
Old 21-10-2012, 11:07 PM   #12
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It sounds like you really don't want to sell it. And if you don't need the money or the space, you will probably regret it if you sell it just to "cut down". If you can afford to keep it, and have room for it, why not keep it? If you're not going to use it, just deregister it and hang on to it. At least then you will have it around if you change your mind and want to use it again. Plus, sometimes it's just good to hang on to things that are special to you.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets
It sounds like you really don't want to sell it. And if you don't need the money or the space, you will probably regret it if you sell it just to "cut down". If you can afford to keep it, and have room for it, why not keep it? If you're not going to use it, just deregister it and hang on to it. At least then you will have it around if you change your mind and want to use it again. Plus, sometimes it's just good to hang on to things that are special to you.

thinking very seriously of exactly this

Old 21-10-2012, 11:47 PM   #14
TheInterceptor
Cruising...

Keep it!!! Do like the others say, de rego and throw a cover over it! If you let this van go, you will regret it!

If you really wanted it gone, itd be gone by now anyway!

Subaru Outback '02
TheInterceptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

got a lovely elderly couple who want it desperately

he's not real well but wants to do a bit of travelling.....I took them for a drive to show how she handles, to say they were rapt would be an understatement

I let the old girl have a drive.....she loves it and she handled it well.....just to show that she can drive it just as easily as hubby

showed how the bed went down and other hidden features......well, bottom line,......they want it right or wrong

major quandary.....sell or keep

it was relatively easy with all the other potential buyers, I could pick fault......too fat, too dirty, too scruffy, wouldn't look after it.....hair too long (yeah I know, I was clutching at straws with that one)......we've had a lot of folks who want it but for one reason or another I didn't sell

but this couple, I know would look after her and treat her just like we did

realistically I know i dont want to sell........I woke up around 4 this morning in a cold sweating panicky state......thought she was gone

not sure if I could face the empty shed......but common sense dictates the sale.......using the caravan more and more these days......selling the camper may be an excuse to purchase a brand new caravan built to our specs.....I told them i would make up my mind by tomorrow

Old 22-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #16
Captain Stubing
Looking for clues...
Donating Member3

Something you will always have is the memories associated with the campervan. As you use the caravan more now, why can't your camper give memories to more people?
and... a collection of Jeep Towpigs
and... two collections of rust and some new plastic bits roughly shaped like an F-Truck
and.... some spare metal bits with holes in them
Captain Stubing is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:36 AM   #17
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just sell the bloody thing, let someone else get some use from it.

To sit there and judge other people based on their looks or personality is somewhat arrogant, and quite hypocritical.
I have a cousin who wears the most inexpensive clothes and is rarely well groomed, yet he drives bentleys and lives in a English country manor which is immaculate.
Perhaps a visit to your GP or a psychologist can help with the panic attacks and sweats over a vehicle...

Your a lucky man if this is all you have to worry about.

Now, how about some pics of your time with it so we can see what all the fuss is about.
BENT_8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 11:43 AM   #18
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanny
Something you will always have is the memories associated with the campervan. As you use the caravan more now, why can't your camper give memories to more people?

yes i know......common sense dictates that I pass her on.......but she has been with us for so long and we share so many memories....

I'm going to give her one last service and a good "going over" and make up my mind as i go I think

I've sort of half made it up now........makes absolutely no sense to hang onto her.......very hard to let go.......

I also remember the look on the elderly couples face when I said I would think about the sale......took me 2 years to find exactly what i was looking for then get her modified and converted

I sorta know what they are going through as well.......they would be on tenterhooks the same as I

nevermind......tomorrow is another day .....no sense in dwelling on the past

Old 22-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #19
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
yes i know......common sense dictates that I pass her on.......but she has been with us for so long and we share so many memories....

I'm going to give her one last service and a good "going over" and make up my mind as i go I think

I've sort of half made it up now........makes absolutely no sense to hang onto her.......very hard to let go.......

I also remember the look on the elderly couples face when I said I would think about the sale......took me 2 years to find exactly what i was looking for then get her modified and converted

I sorta know what they are going through as well.......they would be on tenterhooks the same as I

nevermind......tomorrow is another day .....no sense in dwelling on the past

Share the love Mate.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #20
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well I gave the elderly couple a ring to tell them the camper is theirs.....I'll finish up the "going over"....rotate the tyres, check the brakes, radiator hoses and fan belt

say G'bye to her and I guess walk away!......camper trailer went today as well....camping trailer (supply tailer) should not take long either.....not much attachment to them

still feels like a member of the family is going away for good, though I know she will be looked after and the memories will build within someone else

gonna leave a big hole in the shed

Old 22-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #21
Cam
Stroking it...

Quote:

gonna leave a big hole in the shed
A nice old 'coon could fill it
Now: Busted assed EB Wagon - 5sp and Dual Fuel.
Cam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #22
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

aw gawd......I dont reckon I could handle the stress of another coon!....especially after the grief the BA has given me

might look at raising the roof to get the van in there before she who must possess everything puts her sewing machinery in there and orders me to get my other coon out and line it out

or maybe a games room, ...for the grandkids of course,... complete with bar and huge flatscreen....we only have a 60" at the moment.....bigger is always better

never mind.....end of an era.....coming to pick her up tonight....packing her up and heading off to Toowoomba then onto Cairns first thing in the morning

not looking forward to that

Old 23-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #23
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if its the blue one on gumtree i don't blame you for wanting to keep her good luck with the sale
Old 23-10-2012, 02:51 PM   #24
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep that's the one.....bit of a sad note to do with the couple who were going to buy her.....the gentleman had a health setback.....last I heard he is in intensive care

heart attack or something ......had to happen to the poor buggers now just as she convinced hubby to give up working and do a bit of travelling

but I guess thats life.....no-one knows what is around the corner.....at least it convinced me that I am able to sell her to the right folks

hopefully the couple will be okay and all will turn out well for them, they were very good people

Old 23-10-2012, 02:54 PM   #25
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:

might look at raising the roof to get the van in there before she who must possess everything puts her sewing machinery in there and orders me to get my other coon out and line it out

or maybe a games room, ...for the grandkids of course,... complete with bar and huge flatscreen....we only have a 60" at the moment.....bigger is always better
Maybe you could fill that new void in the shed with a fresh set of roll out concertina style solar panels - you'd be happy with that!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2012, 02:58 PM   #26
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by supershifty
Maybe you could fill that new void in the shed with a fresh set of roll out concertina style solar panels - you'd be happy with that!

Cheers!

sure would be but it aint empty yet.......maybe a Harley is on the cards second or third childhood must be close ( dont remember getting out of the first one)

I still like the idea of a "mans rec room"......

Old 23-10-2012, 03:27 PM   #27
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote Poppa Smurf
"got a lovely elderly couple who want it desperately

he's not real well but wants to do a bit of travelling.....I took them for a drive to show how she handles, to say they were rapt would be an understatement

I let the old girl have a drive.....she loves it and she handled it well.....just to show that she can drive it just as easily as hubby

showed how the bed went down and other hidden features......well, bottom line,......they want it right or wrong

bit of a sad note to do with the couple who were going to buy her.....the gentleman had a health setback.....last I heard he is in intensive care

heart attack or something ......"

So they drove all the way to the mid north, took it for a spin, decided they wanted it, you then told them you weren't sure you wanna sell it.
As you said above, the look on their faces...

Sure hope your indecisiveness didnt lead to this mans heart attack!
Old 23-10-2012, 03:35 PM   #28
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeah thats what did it alright....my indecisiveness, I've killed a lot of folks like that

not even sure if it is a heart attack......but if it is a heart attack then it may even have been the excitement of a new life who knows....we all have a certain time line...when we get to it it's over

best we can do is to enjoy the time we have above ground

Old 23-10-2012, 03:45 PM   #29
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8
So they drove all the way to the mid north, took it for a spin, decided they wanted it, you then told them you weren't sure you wanna sell it.
As you said above, the look on their faces...

Sure hope your indecisiveness didnt lead to this mans heart attack!
Bit harsh don't you think sunshine? Geez I thought I was negative.

Who knows what condition the poor bloke was in, no need to start pointing fingers.
Old 23-10-2012, 03:48 PM   #30
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
yeah thats what did it alright....my indecisiveness, I've killed a lot of folks like that

not even sure if it is a heart attack......but if it is a heart attack then it may even have been the excitement of a new life who knows....we all have a certain time line...when we get to it it's over

best we can do is to enjoy the time we have above ground
Just bringing together what you said happened mate.

It paints a picture...