Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-09-2008, 04:58 PM   #1
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Default AFL Finals - Discussions and results

First off I want to say that if you don't like AFL you need not read this thread, nor should you feel the need to reply any irrelevant drivvel, but that goes without saying!

What a way to end the last round. Who would have thought the Roos would get a pasting by Port, the Crows get bundled out of a top 4 spot, and Lethal Leigh to announce his resignation effective immediately. It's definitely been an eventful round, filled with many surprises and controversies. So with that out of the way, lets looks forward to this week and the matchups.

Hawthron v Western Bulldogs - Friday 5th September at the G
Adelaide v Collingwood - Saturday 6th September at AAMI
Sydney v North Melbourne - Saturday 6th September at ANZ (Syd)
Geelong v St. Kilda - Sunday 7th September at MCG

My predictions are for the Hawks to win by 27, Collingwood in a tight one by 7 points, North Melbourne in another close one by 13 and Geelong to good for the Saints will win by 33.

Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 05:12 PM   #2
DOC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Adelaide to beat the pies by 3 or more goals at home
DOC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Wishful thinking there DOC? I would much rather see the Crows win to be honest! Magpies don't have a good record at AAMI IIRC, but they are playing some good footy (excluding Friday night) and did beat the Crows earlier on in the year.
Old 01-09-2008, 06:53 PM   #4
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

My tips are, western bulldogs in a close one, North melbourne to rebound after there thrashing, Adelaide to show collingwood its to up and down at the moment, and geelong to show the saints who is boss!
Old 01-09-2008, 07:16 PM   #5
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I don't give the dogs much of a chance, their form has been terrible.

Hopefully Collingwood lose. :

Go the Cats.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 07:24 PM   #6
CADSKY
'01 AU11 XR8 UTE

who would have thought the saints would finish top 4 this season? that have been fairly average all season, especially when they lost to freo??? and then they go and pull a 100 point win out of there behinds?? anywho in saying that, im glad they got it and not the crows!!! i hope the crows and pies battle it out to the death with both teams finishing with many injuries :P

my predictions :

hawks to walk all over the dogs
geelong to absolutely kill the saints
swans to beat north in a close one
and who cares about crows and the pies lol

CURRENT
'01 AU2 XR8 UTE - 5 SPEED MANUAL.
MUCH WORK TO DO.

PREVIOUS
'07 BF MK11 XR6 - 6 SPEED AUTO
'95 EF XR6 - 5 SPEED MANUAL

See my car HERE
CADSKY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:01 PM   #7
BZINGA
Powered by Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
Wishful thinking there DOC? I would much rather see the Crows win to be honest! Magpies don't have a good record at AAMI IIRC, but they are playing some good footy (excluding Friday night) and did beat the Crows earlier on in the year.
Magpies have one of the best records at AAmi stadium but after last weeks effort it doesn't look good but finals footy is different.
Don't think anyone is near Geelong and another flag is only weeks away.
BZINGA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 08:07 PM   #8
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRIK67
Magpies have one of the best records at AAmi stadium but after last weeks effort it doesn't look good but finals footy is different.
Don't think anyone is near Geelong and another flag is only weeks away.
Good record at AAMI or good record against the Crows at AAMI? I was of the opinion that the 'pies did OK against Port but struggled against the Crows at home. Not being a Collingwood supporter, I guess small details ellude me at times. I think if the Crows beat you guys the Cats will have it in the bag, but you guys match up well against the Cats. I wonder if you guys could beat them for the second time this year if given the opportunity?
Old 01-09-2008, 08:17 PM   #9
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

The catter's will have it agian, hopefully, even though I'm a Essondon fan, the cat's have allways been a favourite of mine aswell.
Don't care about the rest, lol.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-09-2008, 09:28 PM   #10
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm a Mad Catter, and I hate being placed on a Sunday.

Last year, Geelong played the Kangas on a Saturday in week one.
Why should we get the worst time? We finished on top.

Get fecked AFL. Thanks for screwing Geelong over again, you maggots.

And Hawthorn is a very real threat to us. Don't kid yourselves. We aren't invincible.

St Kilda this week will also be a challenge.

Don't snap my undies.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 08:54 AM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Playing on a Sunday means Geelong have more time to prepare for their first finals match than any other team which is only a good thing when you want to get all your players cherry ripe. Geelong will win, there's no doubt about it. Geelong will then get the weeks rest and come back the following week after that and play on the Friday night in the Prelim. Winning that will give them another 8 day break for the last day in September. The AFL is looking out for the team from down the highway, don't you worry about that!
Old 02-09-2008, 09:12 AM   #12
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

goin to the swans game sat night. hopefully we get up over the roo's
Old 02-09-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

unless something totally amazing happens, my puppies will be out in straight sets and geelong will hold the cup again. the only possible threat (only just possible) is how st kilda go this week
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 11:47 AM   #14
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

I think if St. Kilda were to win, the Cats would go bezerk and demolish everyone else they played the following weeks leading up to, and including the Grand Final. As for the Dogs, I can't see them winning against the Hawks if recent form is anything to go by, but I reckon the double chance will see them win one and maybe get them into the Prelim final. Finals have a strange way of changing teams fortunes.
Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 AM   #15
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
unless something totally amazing happens, my puppies will be out in straight sets and geelong will hold the cup again. the only possible threat (only just possible) is how st kilda go this week
Don't be too sure?... If Doggies beat Hawks Fri night (remembering we've already done THAT convincingly this year) and presuming Geelong beat Saints, then Doggies go to "other side of draw" meaning they won't meet Geelong until GF!
Providing our key ruckman, Hudson is fit, I still think we are well and truly in the hunt.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 11:56 AM   #16
gtxb67

i think the only team that can beat geelong is themselves. if st kilda are at least competitive and learn this week, there is potentially a good chance they will meet again in the last game

the sad fact is that six weeks ago 2nd, 3rd & 4th at the time, have all turned to crap. the pretenders who challenged have now fallen away as well. to me the only stand out is geelong and short of us creating a miracle, i hope they get it
Old 02-09-2008, 11:59 AM   #17
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Don't be too sure?... If Doggies beat Hawks Fri night (remembering we've already done THAT convincingly this year)
i hope i am totally wrong, but after the carlton game (the one that changed my views), i said to all that would listen to me whinge that we would be lucky to win another game. we played to decimated teams, so we got lucky in those two
unfortunately you can read us like a book - anything can happen, but i am not confident
in all seriousness, as silly as it sounds, i have less fear of geelong than most of the other sides
Old 02-09-2008, 12:11 PM   #18
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
in all seriousness, as silly as it sounds, i have less fear of geelong than most of the other sides
Tend to agree there!...
I really reckon we played pretty committed footy against Crows on Sat... A dramatic improvement over the 3 or 4 preceding weeks anyhow?
In the context of things, the game was a "dead-rubber" for us, where as Crows had EVERYTHING to play for!... Put Porplozas goal (Akers rushed point) into the equation and result could have easily went our way?
Rocket's no dill... After doing all the hard yards to be sitting pretty in 2nd or 3rd spot all year.. There's NO way He's going to succumb to going out in straight sets!
I virtually see THIS Friday night as OUR Grand Final.
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 12:14 PM   #19
Vines5161

Carn the Crows!!!!! Send those Magpies limping back over the border where they belong.

But in all seriousness, I cannot see Geelong being beaten this year. Glad the Crows don't have to meet them in the first week.

Hawthorn will clean up Friday night. The Crows on Saturday and Geelong against the Saints on Sunday, but the unprectiable one will be the Sydney v Kangaroos in Sydney.

Anyway, go Crows. You won it in 1998 from 5th spot so why not again. I guess we will get to see if Neil Craig learnt anything from Malcolm Blight.
Vines5161 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 02:45 PM   #20
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is probably Geelongs to lose more than anyone elses to win. Hawks v Cats GF would be the best match for mine, Cats will demolish any of the others. If the Cats turn up with their A game it is game over regardless, their best is too good for any of the others. Oh and I am a Bomber fan in case anyone thinks Im biased
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
Ford_V8

I think people seem to be forgetting Collingwood's 100 point thrashing of Geelong earlier this year, not to mention how close they came last year. Would have been an interesting match up if we didn't lose to Freo (Doh) and had the 4th place match up against Geelong. However I think Collingwood has well and truly thrown it away again for the 18th consecutive season. Something would need to go terribly wrong for Geelong not to win this year but everything has been completely turned on its head the last couple of rounds so anything could happen I guess. Will be an interesting finals campaign as usual.
Ford_V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 05:09 PM   #22
prydey
Rob

the way i see it is geelong aren't anything special. their main advantage is their ability to play 4 quarter footy. a lot of teams have taken it to them for 1 or 2 or 3 quarters this year and some have even outplayed them for periods but their pressure is constant and they play every minute.

i don't barrack for any team lets just be clear. crows lost to geelong by pretty much the same margin they had at 1/4 time. they only beat port by 9 points, freo by 1 point etc. geelong win because they are a team for the whole game. there are no standouts.

having said that, 2 teams walk out on the park and all 8 are a chance if you ask me. anything can happen on the day.

if saints bring their A game they will beat geelong. sydney should beat north, crows are a real chance against collingwood at home and if buddy kicks straight the hawks will beat the doggies.

sure geelong are favourites for the flag but i don't believe it will be that clear cut.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 05:11 PM   #23
WindsorXR
FGII XR6, Focus Sport, XR

Come on the CROWS!!!!!!

How many of you cat supporters have only been going for them in the last 2 years???lol!

Id say Hawks will whip the dogs
Crows will just get up against the Maggies
Swans to beat the Roos in a close game
And of course the Pussies will have a decent win over the Saints

It'll most likely be a Hawks Geelong Final, but can always swing in anyones favour with a fair amount of luck.

2011 Purple FGII XR6
2016 LZ Focus Sport

BA XR8 Build Thread (SOLD)
1966 XR Falcon Build Thread
WindsorXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 05:20 PM   #24
Lane351

Collywobbies dont have a show against the Crows at AAmi,I cant see any team knocking off the Cats they are a team in a league of their own,they just too classy

Last edited by Lane351; 02-09-2008 at 05:26 PM.
Lane351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 06:32 PM   #25
boss-290

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death

And Hawthorn is a very real threat to us. Don't kid yourselves. We aren't invincible.

St Kilda this week will also be a challenge.
You're kidding, right?
Old 02-09-2008, 06:55 PM   #26
tetgreg888

I think the Hawks will belt the dogs by >45, Crows in a close and not very pretty scrap against the Pies <12, Swans to beat the Roos in another ugly game <12, The Cats to give the Saints ( who played their final last week ) a footy lesson >60
I think the Hawks and the Cats will play off in the GF and Franklin to kick 10 in a loosing side.

Go the HAWKS. :
tetgreg888 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:08 PM   #27
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

As much as I hate Geelong, they are in class all of their own. They'll add to their collection this year. Who can seriously Challenge. Maybe just the Hawks. Everyone else is there to make up the numbers. Cats are a real force.

I hope they prove me wrong. Love to see the Saints win a Flag
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-09-2008, 07:36 PM   #28
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
the way i see it is geelong aren't anything special. their main advantage is their ability to play 4 quarter footy. a lot of teams have taken it to them for 1 or 2 or 3 quarters this year and some have even outplayed them for periods but their pressure is constant and they play every minute.

i don't barrack for any team lets just be clear. crows lost to geelong by pretty much the same margin they had at 1/4 time. they only beat port by 9 points, freo by 1 point etc. geelong win because they are a team for the whole game. there are no standouts.

having said that, 2 teams walk out on the park and all 8 are a chance if you ask me. anything can happen on the day.

if saints bring their A game they will beat geelong. sydney should beat north, crows are a real chance against collingwood at home and if buddy kicks straight the hawks will beat the doggies.

sure geelong are favourites for the flag but i don't believe it will be that clear cut.
Yeah and the Cats also beat Port and Freo by 70 points but you failed to mention that. And more importantly it was later in the year when form counts. The Dogs form all year won't count for much if they bomb out in straight sets. I hope for their supporters sake that doesn't happen, but the writing is pretty much on the wall if the last 6 weeks are anything to go by.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:45 PM   #29
Windsor220
Now Fordless

I reckon Collingwood and the Swans will be out this week with Geelong and Hawks to go through to prelims.
And to all those people who think Geelong have it in the bag, dont be too sure. Anything can happen. Remember the Bombers back around 2000 only ended up with 1 premiership and they were a force. Geelong has a history of underachieving too.
Windsor220 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 AM   #30
gtxb67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxteer
Remember the Bombers back around 2000 only ended up with 1 premiership and they were a force.
the difference in those three years was it was only the middle year where essendon totally dominated. while they finished on top the other two. north, brisbane and the bulldogs were all very impressive in 1999, and in 2001 brisbane were the form team even though essendon finished on top.

the problem essendon had in 1999 was the afl system. they played eighth in the first week of the finals and kicked sydney big time and had a week off. two training runs in the two weeks leading into the prelim against a side that was their bitter rival and full of pride. it happened to us the year before after qualifying 2nd and led to the system being changed for the next year where 1st played 4th to give a real game to 1st.

geelong since round 6 last year have been totally awesome and short of a miracle with us playing them, i hope they win. this is a golden coupe of years (at least) for a football club - we should just enjoy it in the same way we should have enjoyed roger, michael, valentino, tiger etc. they are great and deserve everything good they get