Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What engine would you rather in an XY?
351, worked, 500hp 98 62.82%
turbo 4L OHC, 500hp 41 26.28%
other: please specify 17 10.90%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 26-11-2007, 08:27 PM   #241
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

I didnt realise we were playing footy and had to pick a team.
No offense,but if you really want it done properly dont do it yourself,its hard enough doing a slap together stocker when your inexperienced let alone a super duper mega hp motor..:gren:
Old 26-11-2007, 08:58 PM   #242
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
I didnt realise we were playing footy and had to pick a team.
No offense,but if you really want it done properly dont do it yourself,its hard enough doing a slap together stocker when your inexperienced let alone a super duper mega hp motor..:gren:
I have a team to help me who are experienced, so it wont just be me.
I want to have a car that i know ive worked hard on, i cannot just hand over money to let other people work on my cars.
Old 26-11-2007, 09:06 PM   #243
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomXY
I have a team to help me who are experienced, so it wont just be me.
I want to have a car that i know ive worked hard on, i cannot just hand over money to let other people work on my cars.
Cool,
Thats a great way to do it,and learn,just that you gave the impression you were doing it all yourself,
we all hand over money to get stuff done,no backyarder can have every tool needed to do all the machining and assembly themselves,how many would even own all the measureing tools needed?
Old 26-11-2007, 10:24 PM   #244
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
if a engineers cert is going to cost over 2 grand, then i think 351 is the go.

PRICE DEPENDENT on POWER
Well thats where the problem is! 3,4,5 grand for a certificate will still be a small percentage to get this to happen. To put power into an older stlye car is a very expensive proposition, especailly if doing something that is different! It took me 10 years to build what I wanted and cost 5 times more than expected. Unique isnt cheap!

Throw a turbo on and watch everythng else around it explode!

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-11-2007, 10:26 PM   #245
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Cool,
Thats a great way to do it,and learn,just that you gave the impression you were doing it all yourself,
we all hand over money to get stuff done,no backyarder can have every tool needed to do all the machining and assembly themselves,how many would even own all the measureing tools needed?

I did the engine bay in the black xy, stripped it back to metal, removed rust, welded, bogged and puttied it smooth, then painted it. It turned out pretty good. for a first go.
Now im ready for a new project.

i might be young, but im not completely useless.
Old 26-11-2007, 10:32 PM   #246
TomXY
XY

Quote:
Originally Posted by auslandau
To put power into an older stlye car is a very expensive proposition, especailly if doing something that is different! It took me 10 years to build what I wanted and cost 5 times more than expected. Unique isnt cheap!
thats true, ive learnt that already, anything with cars takes longer and costs more than you think to begin with. Its a fact of life.

when i say 3 years it will probobly turn out more like 6 years but it really depends on how much money and time you have.

i wanted my car done before i got my P's but it ended up taking twice as long as i thought and ended up costing twice as much as well. i guess thats what you have to expect with cars, especially like you say, older cars.
Old 27-11-2007, 08:55 PM   #247
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Quote:
I did the engine bay in the black xy, stripped it back to metal, removed rust, welded, bogged and puttied it smooth, then painted it. It turned out pretty good. for a first go.
Now im ready for a new project.

i might be young, but im not completely useless.
Looks like you had a good sized pile of bits left over... :P
Old 27-11-2007, 11:21 PM   #248
Melchior3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr auxr8
OK. If anyone seen Fast and furious tokyo drift movie, and seen the mustang with the turbo motor in it, i think u would agree its just plain **g stupid!!

U JUST DONT DO IT!! ITS WRONG!!

Its like say would you put a 351 in a skyline (if possible).. u just dont!
If you watch the making of Fast and Furious, they actually used Ford big blocks in the Mustangs for those scenes, which just goes to show that a turbo RB won't cut it (and would be ghey)

I'd go for the worked 351 because you just can't beat that sound and as mentioned, you really can't have enoough V8 XYs.
BUT, I think a turbo 4L would be quite good also, but I'd only do that for a daily or frequent driver, V8 for cruising all the way.
Old 04-12-2007, 08:38 PM   #249
kremmen

Stick a 120y engine in it -

unique, ohhhh yeah