Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-08-2007, 10:56 PM   #61
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR347
Why would you buy a VX SS when for the same money you could get a really good example of a AUII/III XR8 220.
Agreed!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 10:58 PM   #62
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Quote:
Originally Posted by VippiN
Thanks for the posts, guys.

I'm not a Ford man nor a Holden man. I'm really not biased on make, only model
Neither am I. I dedicate everything to what I own at this moment, but it wouldn't matter if it was Holden or Ford. If my next car is a Holden, I'll be as passionate about that as I am about the AU now.

I say test drive a few different makes/models. See which feels the most comfortable for you and one that's within your budget. Don't limit yourself to just Holden or Ford either. And someone mentioned the WH Statesman. I agree. Consider a WH. A mate of mine has one and I've driven it alot. It is (for me) one of the most comfortable cars to be in and to drive. It's a car that I would seriously consider purchasing next if I move back to Holden. I also think a WH would break you away from the rest of the pack. WH is not as common a sight on the road as the VN/VP/VT/VX/VY are. Know what I mean...

Krissy.
2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #63
bobkatz
Starter Motor

ford are much slower so you wont get as many speeding fines! You will be helping ford steal back 2nd spot on the sales charts from corolla
bobkatz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:02 AM   #64
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm not a Ford man nor a Holden man. I'm really not biased on make, only model.
And THAT just there IS the problem! An utter LACK of passion.
Ok, I'm an old fart.. I read the thread on the guy buying a VE GTS over a GTP and it stirred what I'm going to say.
I have NO qualms with VX SS's, VE GTS's whatever... (VE GTS, especially being a really tough looking car, AND probably a better choice than a GTP at this time)
My point is... I simply could NOT buy a holden! Call it tradition, habit, (dementia maybe)
It's like how many sugars you have in your coffee, Like, Which side of the bed you sleep on, It's like changing football teams. It's like the gutwrenching feeling facing the Brockie masses at work the Monday morning after another (in)glorious Bathurst victory, It's like the sheer thrill and proud feeling you get after seeing Lowdnsie sticking it up Kelly! Or of telling your bogan Holden mates how Bond let Moffat win, BUT check THAT 1-2 Finish!
Or of hearing how our wowser govenment reckons Fords new F6 is a "weapon on wheels" and should be shitcanned. (that in itself sold em silly!)
Tell me?... (AND there ARE some pretty passionate Blue Oval people here).. HOW in the hell could you look at yourself in the mirror in the morning after changing camps?
Ok, accepted.. An Astra, a Mazda 3, or maybe a ( : ) Hyundia for the little lady IS allowable (cause they couldn't give a rats as long as it goes)
But to actually JUMP ship.. To DEFECT?... Nah!.. sorry!...Even CONTEMPLATING means you lack the passion!

Mate KEEP your Laser!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:12 AM   #65
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool
Ok, I'm an old fart.. I read the thread on the guy buying a VE GTS over a GTP and it stirred what I'm going to say.
I have NO qualms with VX SS's, VE GTS's whatever... (VE GTS, especially being a really tough looking car, AND probably a better choice than a GTP at this time)
My point is... I simply could NOT buy a holden! Call it tradition, habit, (dementia maybe)
It's like how many sugars you have in your coffee, Like, Which side of the bed you sleep on, It's like changing football teams. It's like the gutwrenching feeling facing the Brockie masses at work the Monday morning after another (in)glorious Bathurst victory, It's like the sheer thrill and proud feeling you get after seeing Lowdnsie sticking it up Kelly! Or of telling your bogan Holden mates how Bond let Moffat win, BUT check THAT 1-2 Finish!
Or of hearing how our wowser govenment reckons Fords new F6 is a "weapon on wheels" and should be shitcanned. (that in itself sold em silly!)
Tell me?... (AND there ARE some pretty passionate Blue Oval people here).. HOW in the hell could you look at yourself in the mirror in the morning after changing camps?
Ok, accepted.. An Astra, a Mazda 3, or maybe a ( : ) Hyundia for the little lady IS allowable (cause they couldn't give a rats as long as it goes)
But to actually JUMP ship.. To DEFECT?... Nah!.. sorry!...Even CONTEMPLATING means you lack the passion!

Mate KEEP your Laser!

You are know my hero. lol. I enjoyed reading that.
My dad recently bought a HD holden, thats just a project car and I still can't come to grips with there being a holden in my driveway. Especially when all my holden mates say "haha finally came to the winnin side."(in bogan accent). seriously if I took the badge off the holden they wouldn't have a clue what sort of car it is.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #66
VippiN
What a performer!

Mate i've got passion. The passion in when my 'little laser' wipes the smile off the big man in the EB XR6 or VN. Which I have and will continue to do. Don't underestimate em, playing with weight reduction is a fun thing.

I'd love to get my hands on a Mazdaspeed3 or what you'd like to hear, a Focus XR5 but it's not going to happen as i'm plain not in the financial situation. Perhaps in five, ten years time i'll get that hot hatch and bring back the romance in driving.
1991 Ford Laser KF TX3 :: BP-T :: 2011-2015 109fwkW
2007 Ford Falcon BF XR6 Turbo Ute :: Barra 245T :: 2014-2019 324rwkW
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR8 Ute :: Windsor V8 :: 2019-2020
2008 Ford Fiesta XR4 :: Duratec 150 :: 2021-*
1998 Ford Falcon AU XR6 :: HP Intech :: 2021-*
VippiN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:13 AM   #67
t2te50
Banned

Just strapp a supercharger on it if power is insufficient. Should see mid 12's easy. If thats not enough get a ford motorsport block and you should see flat 11's.

Can an LS1 rev to 7,000rpm like a windsor? Mustang forums are a must for anyone who thinks this engine is underdone in aftermarket support.
t2te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:27 AM   #68
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Mate i've got passion. The passion in when my 'little laser' wipes the smile off the big man in the EB XR6 or VN. Which I have and will continue to do. Don't underestimate em, playing with weight reduction is a fun thing.

I'd love to get my hands on a Mazdaspeed3 or what you'd like to hear, a Focus XR5 but it's not going to happen as i'm plain not in the financial situation. Perhaps in five, ten years time i'll get that hot hatch and bring back the romance in driving.
Understand completely the financial aspects.. and respect you for your choice (whatever it may be )
Goodluck!

Now run off and wash your mouth out for uttering such blasphemy!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 01:06 AM   #69
tapeworm
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If u haven't got your heart set on a V8, save for an xr6 turbo their a great reliable performance drivers car. The auto in the Commodore is a shocking unit, typical you put your foot down and 2 seconds later it kicks down, it really destroys the driving experience. Ford will have the edge in reliability, build quality, handling, superior gearbox feel, and killer engine note etc, AU V8 lacks the same outright pace of the Commo though. Type AU XR8 top speed into U-Tube for an idea of how a stock AU3 XR8 goes at full noice, the sounds to die for. Also type stock 2006 BF xr6t ute 0-100 sprint. Both stock it'll give an idea of how the Fords go. cheers.
tapeworm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 01:21 AM   #70
b2tf
not here much anymore

For sheer value for money bang for buck - AU XR8 is the way to go. The 220 is the pick of the bunch but dont discount the 200's either, they still have plenty of herbs.

I say that all bias aside, simply because I believe the AU XR8's to be one of the best value for money performance cars on the market today - name any other sub $20k car you can get that has a handbuilt V8, bodykit, leather and MOMO gear (if optioned) IRS, good audio system from factory, and a wealth of aftermarket parts and tuners to support the Windsor engine?

Windsors have got soul, and you'll never be mistaken in an AU XR8 or be called "just another BA driver" if you had BA XR8.
Old 16-08-2007, 01:28 AM   #71
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliewool

Mate KEEP your Laser!
spot on!!! i really enjoyed that one!
Old 16-08-2007, 01:59 AM   #72
XR8-260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I encourage you to get the VX SS. I was actually thinking about getting one at one stage. Imo, they are the best 'performance' car for around the 16-20K mark at the moment. They look great, go like a cut cat and are cheap to modify. The common problems are piston slap and oil consumption. However, I believe most of these problems would have been rectified (engine re-build) under warrantly.

The AUII/III XR8 220kw is another good option. It handles and sounds better than the VX SS. However, the VX SS is slightly quicker than the XR8 220 in standard form. In modified form, the Gen III blows the windsor away. Exhaust, intake and tune for just $2500 will give you 220-230rwkw.

But if you're intent on getting a Ford... the XR6 Turbo can be bought for only a few grand more.
XR8-260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:46 AM   #73
MYLO_XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

at work the problem with ALL commodores are:

-rear main seal leak
-engine mounts sag
-sway bar links break
-power steering pumps fail
-racks leak

these are very common problems on VT-onwards comonwhores

falcons i have found are alot more reliable and cheaper to run...
Old 16-08-2007, 03:42 AM   #74
dallasv8
5.8 litres of fun

why go into a FORD forum and ask about holdens?i mean WTF man
Old 16-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #75
Buddy 1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get the XR6T & be done with it as one day you will grow out of this drag em off boy thing & just be Happy to have a nice vehicle with a bit of Grunt which you will use on the odd occasion for a bit of fun (not drag racing)

Can I ask how old you are?
Buddy 1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 08:16 AM   #76
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TE50 056
If you want a GenIII get a VYI calais if they are in your price range or even berlina
.. or a VY SV8? Mine has a few k's so I'd probably be very lucky to get about $15K for it if I sold it (so I'm not going to bother) .. but it's still a quick, cheap car. I'd agree about the AU 220kw, but if you check the prices they are measureably more expensive an VX SSs .. mainly because there are a LOT more VX SSs around. But the AU would definitely be a much nicer drivers car. I like my SV8 for its allround performance, economy and easy, loping highway capability .. but it will never win any medals for outstanding handling and refinement (especially the auto)

Bang-for-buck it's probably the VX, but if you want a "keeper" the XR8 220k?
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 08:48 AM   #77
red_hotxr6
Banned

Because Ford has so much more to offer, people take notice when you drive a FORD...you shouldnt even have to think about it.
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 09:01 AM   #78
xr8-200

I have an AU2 xr8220 and my house mate has a Vx SS. I have a cat back exhaust but otherwise they are both stock. While the SS might be a little quicker in a straight line in the real world they feel about the same. The Xr8 seems to handle and brake better than the SS. As for looks, whatever floats your boat. You stated that you my mod the car down the track, in that case the ls1 would probably offer better bang for you buck in engine mods. At the end of the day they are simular cars and either way you cant go wrong as long as you buy one that is in good nick.
xr8-200 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 09:51 AM   #79
Falcon SXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I also have an au xr8 with the 220 motor and my uncle has a VT ss with the 5.7 and its no contest the AU in my opinion stands out alot more and doesn't look like a base model. The AU sounds 10x better and handles alot better too !!!!!!!!!!! But the VTs do go cheaper than the XR8s I am not shure about the VXs.
AU Fairmont
BA MK2 XR6 Turbo
Now
XDUB
Falcon SXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 10:55 AM   #80
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Why SHOULDN'T I buy a VX GenIII SS Commodore?

Please, talk me out of it. Right now I don't see a better altenative in that price range.

5.7L Gen III LS1 V8 - 225kW @ 5200 RPM
VX SS's command ridiculous used car prices, when an AU2/3 XR8 220 is so much better value for so much less.

The AUs are more individual looking because:
They have the last quad headlight nose cone;
VX SS looks like an exec with a bodykit;
People will always think guys in VX SS's are undercover cops (or hoons)

And personally I prefer the allround package, better suspension-steering-handling etc

Soundwise the LS1 doesnt sound nearly as good as the ol Windsor. :

In terms of raw power/pace/numbers on a bit of paper yeah the SS looks great, but if you get the 220kw Windsor things are pretty even in that respect.

True bang for your buck honours go to the XR6T, a mark2 BA or BF would be great if they suit your budget for initial outlay.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 11:01 AM   #81
InSinR8

do you want the car on the road and safe?
holden holds the record....
18 Months, 19 recalls and in excess of 206,000 cars affected.

Then you just need to have a peekaboo on the LS1 forum and listen to all the H fans and drivers complainging about the faults and the atrocious service they get.

Remember kiddies.... God made ... Holden made it move
InSinR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 11:33 AM   #82
BlackLS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiapan
because the VXSS is the new VN5lita bro!
Like the XR6 Turbo is the new VL Turbo, dose it bro!

VX SS, problems are well documented so you know what to look for when buying, theres a weatlth of knowledge on tuning and heaps of bolt ons, excellent fuel economy, better manual box

AU XR8, will most likely have better quality than the commo and owned moreso by an enthusiast than a hoon, better auto box

Overall dollar for dollar you spend on mods you will make more power with the LS1.

I'm not sure which one I'd choose, most likely the VX due to its potential, better manual box and the AU's awkward styling.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 12:39 PM   #83
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Mate I'll roll back my clock to 2002.....

I was looking for another new V8 and I spent lots of time over the VXSS at caryards and test drove a few.....and was just about to sign of the dotted line when driving past the Ford dealer I see a MeteoriteXR8S3 with Rebel kit.
So I jump out and think WOW this is cool and different ! went for a testdrive and gave it the boot as you do lol......
I was convinced much better car to drive, handling,smoother and she felt tight.
I ended up buying the XR8.
The only positive the VX has over the XR8 was "off the mark" in auto, change your diff ratio and thats solved.
XR8's are a great buy atm.....
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 01:55 PM   #84
Ringo
I see you....

Quote:
I'm not buying right this second either. I'm taking my time be it six or twelve months when i've done my research and found something special is when i'll lay the money down. Perhaps the XR6T will come down that extra bit in that time to be comparable with the current SS?

Cheers for any future posts!
Without reading the entire thread here is a fact to stick in your hat.

Used car prices are still falling. 4 years of record new car sales plus a wave of new models will mean that in 12 months time the bang for your buck list will be a little different and will have BA XR6T's and BA XR8's on it.

VX's Series I have rear suspension issues that cause excesive rear tyre wear under heavy accel and under load. Fixed when they went to Series II.

Also you don't want a Holden V8 like everyone else....have you no pride in yourself?...you' start liking Rick Kelly next.
Ringo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:09 PM   #85
Jock260
Cast Iron fan

We've had 4 SS's and 3 Gen 3'S in our family, and without a doubt are the best motor.vehicle we have ever owned as a family, lots of room, tones of go, and they are very easy to mod. Go for it mate.
Old 16-08-2007, 02:12 PM   #86
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ok my minds changed....

My brother owns a AU XR8 5 Speed Manual X-Police Unit (owned it since 40,000km's when it was sold off to caryard, where 2nd owner)

I just took that thing for a 2 hour spin last night in the you yang vacinity (full tanked it, went past ford proving grounds, they were testing a Orion at 8pm LOL)

Man, i know i cant speak for the VX, as i havent driven it, but the AU XR8, screams, sounds awesome, goes like a cut cat, (all standard mind you) and brakes and steering(handling) are to die for, unbelievable, i now know why people say its not all about straight line speed, its about build quality, and boy i would pounce on a AUIII XR8 Manual 220kw over anything but a BA+ model (on the ford camp of course)

IF you can get a AUIII XR8, get it for, orginality (unique), build quality, ride quality, performance, handling, SOUND, ...
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:36 PM   #87
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Ive got a VT 2 LS1 and have spent a little over 5k and can pull 12.5 qtrs allday full stret trim exept for rubber, where ya AU's and BA's doing that????I'm a ford man but bang for ya buck ya cant beat a VT/VX

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
the VX auto is sourced from isuzu, and isuzu dumped it for being cheap and nasty. Holden loves it but.
Mate and dont know you told you that crap but a VX has a 4L60E better known as a turbo700 which is built by GM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irlewy86
What you save on fuel you'll spend in oil.

Joking, but I hate Holden Irs. At least the VX was the first auto SS that was quicker than a VS 5 speed. It's always shameful to see a proud VT SS owner get smoked by a stock 6
i dont think so.
RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:43 PM   #88
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

By a TE/TS50. A T3 maual is a 13 second car with some real cred.

At least in 3 years time it will be worth more than & grand.

If you must buy a holden get an HSV for the same reason.
Old 16-08-2007, 02:46 PM   #89
red_hotxr6
Banned

Unless you have that thing parked at the raceway, pulling 12.5secs between the stoplights is going to earn you....LOSS OF YOUR LICENCE, is this what you base the buying of a car on, i thought i was going to hear some intelligent repartee on the interior, colors, comfort, ease of reaching and activating necessary instrumentation, ride comfort, visibility, insurance costs, petrol mileage, costs of servicing etc, not my car can do 12.5secs here to there, for crying out loud...
red_hotxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #90
RavenLS1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_hotxr6
Unless you have that thing parked at the raceway, pulling 12.5secs between the stoplights is going to earn you....LOSS OF YOUR LICENCE, is this what you base the buying of a car on, i thought i was going to hear some intelligent repartee on the interior, colors, comfort, ease of reaching and activating necessary instrumentation, ride comfort, visibility, insurance costs, petrol mileage, costs of servicing etc, not my car can do 12.5secs here to there, for crying out loud...
well go get some kleenex because i dont think im alone when i say "YES" that is what i base buying i car on and i did metion that i went for bang for your buck, why dont you practice what you preach and sell your xr6 and buy a fairmont, for crying out load.
RavenLS1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post