Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 04-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #1
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Baillieu vs Bracks debate re the 10% tolerance

Anyone see the debate last night? The segment covering the tolerance given to drivers when detected above the speed limit was interesting. Ted Baillieu wants to revert back to the 10 % tolerance and Steve Bracks says his lower tolerance has saved lives. I couldn't believe the journo who questioned Baillieu though, he just babled the usual Govt line regarding speed, a puppet whose strings were pulled by Spring St. Unbelievable!
cheers
Bill

Old 04-11-2006, 12:30 PM   #2
XR8GRL
Powered by Tickford

Ofcourse Steve has saved lives :alien2:

SILHOUETTE AUII XR8
Leather, Premium sound, Momo S/wheel & gear knob, Sunroof, 20" Advanti Desires, Bulge, XR50 Front, Pacemaker extractors,
Ballistic cats, 2.5" cat back system, Rebel bar & skirts, XR scuff plates, Kings SL & SSL springs
XR8GRL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #3
Kryton

Political Thread......

Kill It.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:33 PM   #4
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
Political Thread......

Kill It.
whats wrong with a political thread? i find it more useful than one on what someone saw on ebay this morning, or the head gasket/altezza taillight threads...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:39 PM   #5
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Baillieu FTW.
Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 06:40 PM   #6
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonkoXR8
whats wrong with a political thread?
because:
A) they always end the same way.
B) they arent allowed.
Old 04-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #7
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Baillieu FTW.
.....FTW?

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 07:52 PM   #8
Longreach

FTW = For The Win
I believe, well i understand it does in other contexts not 100% sure about this one but would presume so.
Longreach is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:00 PM   #9
Auslandau
335 - STILL THE BOSS ...

Yep.
This should be a poll! Saw only bits but has to be Baillieu.

| [/url] |

101,436 MEMBERS ......... 101,436 OPINIONS ..... What could possibly go wrong!

Clevo Mafia
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Auslandau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:02 PM   #10
kyro_02
V8 wannaabeee

10% FTW .. steve bracks should get off his money pitt :gren: :
kyro_02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 08:11 PM   #11
iCat
doof doof doof doof

i just can't believe that 10% isn't the norm anyway, since it matches our ADR's for speedos. In effect, none of us know how accurate our speedo is - we could be under or we could be over the posted speed limit. as for the lower tolerance saving lives - what a load of rubbish. as i said, we have no idea that our speedos are accurate anyway.

preaching to the coverted i know, but just on my soapbox!
iCat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:01 PM   #12
uranium_death
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't really care about the tolerance since I never purposely go over the limit anyway.
And regarding political threads...agreed. Better than "I found some crap on Ebay" or "This Ebayer is dishonest". At least this thread has the potential to aggravate some thought.
uranium_death is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #13
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by uranium_death
And regarding political threads...agreed. Better than "I found some crap on Ebay" or "This Ebayer is dishonest". At least this thread has the potential to aggravate some thought.
well so long as it doesnt get nasty like political threads ALWAYS do, this thread might be one of the few that wont get locked.

keep it clean if you dont want it shut down.
Old 04-11-2006, 09:28 PM   #14
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:

keep it clean if you dont want it shut down.
Good advice.....
If this cant be achieved, it will be closed very quickly..._2:

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:29 PM   #15
Ruger
Bseries Moderator

i know for a fact that the speedo in my BA is out at 150k's it shows 160 as proven at the track.
thats a 3 year old car imagine what a 15 year old car would be like. 10 percent should be minimum.

Only those that attempt the absurd achieve the impossible.

Serviced and maintained by Mascot Auto Repairs
Ruger is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 09:36 PM   #16
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruger
i know for a fact that the speedo in my BA is out at 150k's it shows 160 as proven at the track.
thats a 3 year old car imagine what a 15 year old car would be like. 10 percent should be minimum.
we have a Police Pack VTII (ex ambo squad car) so it has digital speedo as well as the 2km increment needle.
i can say with certainty that the speedo is within the 3% spec that everyone is getting fined for.
100kmh on the digital is 103kmh on the needle.
the 100kmh digital is also verified by the freeway speed checks around the outskirts of melbourne.
Old 04-11-2006, 10:56 PM   #17
MO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

To all those that don't want 3% and want 10% nows your chance..you have the vote!!

The more I know ppl the more I love my DOGS.
2011 SY Territory Limited Edition TS
2000 AUII SE ute IL6
MO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:28 PM   #18
Outbackjack
Central to all beach's

In the NT we have gone from, what ever is comfortable to 130. Now +/- 10 % equals upper limit is 143. Slower than I am used to but better than what the dictators down south reckon is safe.....
Old 04-11-2006, 11:43 PM   #19
EL_futuraistic

no questioning the statemt that Bracks is a Tossa. The speed debate is never ending....... however Baillieu sees like a bigger Nuff Nuff than bracksy. His current "promises list" will put victoria back into debt........ politicians... all the same.

Why dont they develope a National Ruling on this issue....... rather than have states bickering.....
EL_futuraistic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:50 PM   #20
Hawk
I am The Brain!

Quote:
the 100kmh digital is also verified by the freeway speed checks around the outskirts of melbourne.
The same speed checks that said I was doing 75km/h when the needle in my car was sitting on 110.

Hmmmmm.

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #21
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk
The same speed checks that said I was doing 75km/h when the needle in my car was sitting on 110.

Hmmmmm.
well 2 speed checks in Melbourne and 1 in ballarat all saying the same as the police cluster digital speedo in the car is enough for me to know what is right.
Old 04-11-2006, 11:57 PM   #22
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

I think 10% tolerance is much more realistic as its so easy in some responsive cars without cruise control like my wifes Lancer (not the I6 Ghia which isnt that responsive), to creep over the speed limit without realising. In these cars one eye needs to be kept on the speedo, which could be better used looking out for the unexpected on the road.

Therefore for this reason, it could be even safer to have a 10% tolerance rather than 3%.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:17 AM   #23
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The caretaker Premier Steve Bracks painted a picture of increased fatalities if a 10% tolerance was reintroduced.I don't believe this would be the case. For those that dislike political threads I understand why but given the number of posts and media attention paid to the issue of speedo tolerance I felt justified in raising this issue before an election on this board. If I have broken rules on political posts that is my mistake and I accept responsibility.
cheers
Bill.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:14 PM   #24
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

i've always voted labour but i'm so sick of bracks, i just have to vote for baillieu
sprjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #25
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
no questioning the statemt that Bracks is a Tossa. The speed debate is never ending....... however Baillieu sees like a bigger Nuff Nuff than bracksy. His current "promises list" will put victoria back into debt........ politicians... all the same.

Why dont they develope a National Ruling on this issue....... rather than have states bickering.....
They basically do have a national ruling on the issue, the ADR states that the speedo only has to be within 10% of your actual speed. And just for your info it was the Mr Kennet's Libs that pulled Victoria OUT of debt from the previous Kirner Labor Government.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 07:44 PM   #26
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M
The caretaker Premier Steve Bracks painted a picture of increased fatalities if a 10% tolerance was reintroduced.I don't believe this would be the case.
Of course he did because if he didn't then he was WRONG. And as there has never been a politician admit he was wrong EVER, he must be right.

As stated above. You guys have complained about this ad nauseum. You now can do something about it. If you do not then stop complaining.

"A democracy always gets the Government it deserves" (Adolf Hitler)
"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch" (Benjamin Franklin).
"Freedom, liberty and equality are when the lamb has a gun" (flappist)
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 08:25 PM   #27
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Has anyone got a copy of the Lib's road safety policies?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EL_futuraistic
His current "promises list" will put victoria back into debt........ politicians... all the same.
Last I heard Labour is sitting on $2.8 bil, Libs are $3.2 bil, hardly a bank busting difference. Assuming Bracks actually went through with them this time round.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 08:50 PM   #28
Bluefreak

Quote:
well 2 speed checks in Melbourne and 1 in ballarat all saying the same as the police cluster digital speedo in the car is enough for me to know what is right.
2 cars side by side, my wife in one and me in the other... Very little fluctuation in speed right through the speed trap (Ballarat), 14kph difference in the readings... That and everytime I go through the same speed trap solo, I range from 96kph to 114kph while indicated 110kph on the speedo... Went through the one on the Hume with a horse float on, sat on speed limit and it failed to read. Mate who was 10 mins behind also with a float on failed to trigger it. I can only guess it thought we were going either too fast or too slow as my lane showed readings for the cars in front of me.
Bluefreak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 09:05 PM   #29
Full Spectrum
Only a matter of time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedXR8220
They basically do have a national ruling on the issue, the ADR states that the speedo only has to be within 10% of your actual speed. And just for your info it was the Mr Kennet's Libs that pulled Victoria OUT of debt from the previous Kirner Labor Government.
Thats because he privatised the state

But on speeds what stupid person allows you too get away with speeding at higher speeds more so then lower speeds.
I'd rather a 10% tolerance at 90 below and 5% 100 above. You shouldn't get away with more at higher speeds.
Too anyone that believes there speddo is out have it looked at, One hit in the pocket by your own hand is better then 2 hits on the pocket forced by a speeding fine.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #30
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickHolden
Thats because he privatised the state

But on speeds what stupid person allows you too get away with speeding at higher speeds more so then lower speeds.
I'd rather a 10% tolerance at 90 below and 5% 100 above. You shouldn't get away with more at higher speeds.
Too anyone that believes there speddo is out have it looked at, One hit in the pocket by your own hand is better then 2 hits on the pocket forced by a speeding fine.
You really have no idea do you?

The circumference of your tyres is dependent on:
Tread wear (new tyres are bigger)
Temperature of the road
Gas pressure in the tyres (which is also temp dependent)
Load carried
Temperture of the rims
Deformation due to rotational vectors (worse with smaller rims)

Your speedometer calculates indirectly from the number of rotations of your wheel per second.
If the wheel is wider because it has expanded you will travel further per rotation therefore your speedo will read lower.

To be 3% out of tollerence you need less than 0.5% increase in radius.
In the case of a standard falcon wheel with is about 65cm to be 3% out is a difference of about 3mm. How deep is your tread?

Of course those are Ford measurements, I am sure you will tell me that Holden measurements are faster and more accurate.......
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post