Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Closed Thread

Old 19-09-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
EA Bogan

Default EA Falcon has speed limiter??

I have recently taken my EA Falcon S 4 speed auto to around 180km/h at which point it pretty much stopped accelerating. It went quite well up to 180 at which point it trailed off sooo much. It shifted into 4th so maybe that could be the reason ie not enough revs, hence not enough power to beat the drag, or are EAs speed limited to 180? How does one disable the speed limit on the ECU?

Old 19-09-2007, 12:03 AM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The EA is not rev or speed limited that I know of, you could swap your ECU for an earlier 3 speed auto ECU and see if it still happnes.

My 3 speed auto had no limits I know of, they may have changed the 4 speed auto ecu, in any event the EA has a seperate trans controller.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
Old 19-09-2007, 12:05 AM   #3
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The 4 speed auto in the EA is essentialy the same one in the ef/el and even the AU at least gear ratio wise, and the AU can do 220+ best I recall.

Old 19-09-2007, 12:06 AM   #4
EA Bogan

hmm..im guessing the EA series one with the 3 speed auto has the same ratios as my series two 4 speed minus the overdrive fourth..in that case your cars top speed would be about 180 as mine was near redline at that point..correct me if im wrong or is the old 3 speeders 3rd gear longer than mine? I know for a fact that EF and EL are limited to 180 but they are like 94-98 models so im not sure about mine.
Old 19-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #5
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA Bogan
I have recently taken my EA Falcon S 4 speed auto to around 180km/h at which point it pretty much stopped accelerating. It went quite well up to 180 at which point it trailed off sooo much. It shifted into 4th so maybe that could be the reason ie not enough revs, hence not enough power to beat the drag, or are EAs speed limited to 180? How does one disable the speed limit on the ECU?
Must be pretty quick if its getting to 180 on the qtr mile... referring to your drag comment. Mate, I hope your car isnt standard and your doing those speeds. Generally a limit for a reason, gearbox or tailshaft letting go.

But i answer your question, EA's and EB's I believe dont have speed limiters. ED onwards do.

EA2BA, because his car is a 4 speed, wont he need to keep the original computer for the auto???
Old 19-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #6
EA2BA
PM me if you want

The 3 speed auto and 4 speed auto share the same 3 gear ratios, just the 4 speed auto has the overdrive ratio (4th gear).

Old 19-09-2007, 12:09 AM   #7
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

You will know when you hit a speed limiter. will scare the bejesus out of you, especially if you're not expecting it..

Of course you were doing 180 on a closed controlled road weren't you?
Old 19-09-2007, 12:11 AM   #8
EA2BA
PM me if you want

Quote:
EA2BA, because his car is a 4 speed, wont he need to keep the original computer for the auto???
Nope I ran a 3 speed auto ECU with the 4 speed auto TCU in my EA when I converted it to 4 speed auto and not a problem.

Old 19-09-2007, 12:14 AM   #9
EA Bogan

its a completely bog(an) stock standard EA and the location will remain confidential im afraid ;) well it seems the car just cant accelerate due to massive drag @180 odd + low revving 4th gear..thanks for the input anyway tough..
Old 19-09-2007, 01:40 AM   #10
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like its a CFi? The extra grunt of the Mpi will give it another 20kmh or so.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
Old 19-09-2007, 01:48 AM   #11
EA Bogan

yer its a cfi..same power as the xf efi
Old 19-09-2007, 02:21 AM   #12
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

hmm my modded mpfi ea 5 speed used to do 220-230km (off the clock) every single day, the whole 43km trip up to the minesite from my country rental house, if you want faster times work your suspenion (for saftey) and convert to 5 speed and mpfi, or change diff gears if you wanna sacrifice down low
Old 19-09-2007, 02:25 AM   #13
sprjenkins
Spr Jenkins

Would love to see an AU do 220kph+ I mean I know it could do it as the CoD is low but it wouldn't be a stock forte. Even if a Forte could do it the cars limited to 180kph because the drive shaft blows up at 190kph due to harmonic vibrations. After you fixed these problems and saying by some miracle it was possible you would need a friggin long road because it takes ages to get from 160kph to 180 kph.

Its like a Porsche Boxster S. Has a top speed of 270kph but it takes (guessing from memoryof the video I saw on youtube) 1 min+ to get there from 200kph

-Mathematicians have found that due to the excessive amount of women Chuck Norris has slept with, it is guaranteed that he appears in your family tree a minimum of three times

-Chuck Norris doesn't sleep. He waits.

-Chuck Norris once worked as a weatherman for the San Diego evening news. Every night he would make the same forecast: Partly Cloudy with a 75% chance of Pain.
Old 19-09-2007, 08:18 AM   #14
Creampuff
149 rwkw of Style

No prob with my EB(last car), it went to 200 on dial(if that was correact..who knows!)
Old 19-09-2007, 09:58 AM   #15
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

My AU is limited at 190 and has no trouble hitting it practically slams into it.

I think it's only doing a touch over 4000rpm so there is plenty of life left into it.

If the drive shaft is that weak that is sad, the limiter is annoying I kept hitting it when I was trying to overtake a Daihatsu Charade.

It's funny how at that speed the aircon makes a HUGE difference.
Old 19-09-2007, 01:25 PM   #16
El Venom
normality is boring
Donating Member1

I had my ea 3 speed well over 199km/h. It was a fairmont ghia wagon and the car behind me was saying over 220km/h to keep up with me
Old 19-09-2007, 01:27 PM   #17
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I think its basically the CFI thats the limit, the MPFI was always a way better setup.

Old 19-09-2007, 01:29 PM   #18
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

My EB did the same thing,would not go over 180 what so ever!!
Old 19-09-2007, 01:40 PM   #19
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprjenkins
Even if a Forte could do it the cars limited to 180kph because the drive shaft blows up at 190kph due to harmonic vibrations.
Harmonic = at a certain frequency. Depending on the diff ratio, the harmonic point will be reached at a certain speed, and then passed

My old 3.27 diff ratio: 175-190 would be the harmonic area, then it'd smoothe out again all the way to top speed. I did NOT like the feel of the tailshaft vibrating so in the instances where I did drive the car at speed, I would be sure to stay below 180.

My current 4.11 ratio: Harmonic area is reached at 140ish. Which kinda sucks when overtaking three trucks or so. Or on the 1/4 when I hit it before the finish line (and then go back thru it as the car slows down again).

It doesn't get worse and worse the higher you go, unless you reached the next harmonic stage in tailshaft rotation speed.
Old 19-09-2007, 01:57 PM   #20
Ringo
I see you....

You've got bigger nuts that I have to take an EA to those speeds.....there is no margin for error or correction....
Old 19-09-2007, 03:09 PM   #21
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

No it dosnt have a limiter.

Get a MPFI conversion done for chaep and you can hit past 200,but yes, i find that wind resistance starts to really come into play around 180kmh.

BTW I think the tailshaft vibration problem is a bit of an exageration, ive had an XF, an EA an AU and a BA falcon past 180 and didnt feel/hear any undue vibrations.
I know someone who regularly runs those speeds and hasnt had any failures either.

Just do it!
Old 19-09-2007, 03:58 PM   #22
gozza

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
Must be pretty quick if its getting to 180 on the qtr mile... referring to your drag comment.

Not Drag Strip Man - Drag of the car - Resistance
Old 19-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #23
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Just do it!
Until it goes bang...
Get some NAAWWWSSSS, and see if it goes faster.

I agree with Ghia5L on the tailshaft vibrations. I also have 4.11 diff gears and it used to worry me going down the qtr. A 2 piece tailshaft fixed that.

gozza - now i understand... :P