Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-04-2008, 11:58 PM   #1
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Default The definition of rice?

This may seem like a strange question..... But what is the definition of rice? Is it limited to non factory addons to a vehicle which have no effect on power or vehicle dynamics? Or can it also be directed at factory cars with body kits and wings that have no effect on performance or dynamics?

Thoughts, comments?

Old 22-04-2008, 12:07 AM   #2
montyv8
Turbo Dinosaur FTMFW

I think its something along the lines of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wikipedia
Rice is a type of food. It is grown in warm parts of the world, mainly Asia, Africa, northern Italy, and the West Coast of North America.

Rice is part of the staple diet in many countries. It is not eaten raw; usually it is cooked or boiled. In some areas, such as Spain, rice is first fried in olive oil or butter, then cooked with water or soup. In other areas, such as India, rice is eaten with sauce or curry. Rice can also be used to make alcohol, such as Japanese sake.

Rice is believed to have been first cultivated in ancient southern China and India. Rice growing was brought to Japan possibly in the 1st century BC, and became popular during the 2nd century and the 3rd century. From India, rice spread to southern Europe and Africa.

Rice is usually planted in a field filled with water. Before cropping, the water is drained from the field.
Or do you mean the other kind, that there is already so many threads about?
Old 22-04-2008, 12:13 AM   #3
halo

the latter... things which scream performance depspite there being none.

your classic example is a pov pack mitsi lancer with an evo kit, complete with gap[ing big hole for air to hit the intercooler but no intercooler.

or worse yet an interfooler - yes, an intercooler bolted up but not piped to the engine.

deros...
halo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 12:25 AM   #4
3vXT

What he ^^^ said.
Lots of people will say that the definition of 'rice' is any Japanese car but they are morons generally.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 12:27 AM   #5
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by VZKOOP
This may seem like a strange question..... But what is the definition of rice? Is it limited to non factory addons to a vehicle which have no effect on power or vehicle dynamics? Or can it also be directed at factory cars with body kits and wings that have no effect on performance or dynamics?

Thoughts, comments?
I see rice as this:

Those exhausts that look like they have a bucket on the end.

Anything with bloody white lancer like lights.
Old 22-04-2008, 02:48 AM   #6
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

In my opinion it is any modification that tries to make it look like a race car or has more power than what it really has without adding any performance improvement.
Old 22-04-2008, 08:57 AM   #7
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by halo
the latter... things which scream performance depspite there being none.

your classic example is a pov pack mitsi lancer with an evo kit, complete with gap[ing big hole for air to hit the intercooler but no intercooler.

or worse yet an interfooler - yes, an intercooler bolted up but not piped to the engine.

deros...
What about the fake bonnet scoops?? You know the ones stuck to the top of the bonnet that don't go anywhere???

Can Falcadores count as rice?? Because I have seen a VK with massive hornet scoop running to a tired old 202ci running on gas.

I also have a mate with a stock VT Executive that he has built as a "clubsport replica" whatever the hell that is :
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 09:03 AM   #8
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tacky tasteless non factory cosmetic add-ons.... like rediculously large wheels, exhausts, flares, spoilers, scoops, rainbow interiors, neons etc..

Old 22-04-2008, 10:10 AM   #9
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Rice is any option or car modification that YOU do not like.

Example: Get a lancer, warm the motor slightly (less than 10% power increase), put on a big wing, stripes, a bulge on the bonnet with stickers over it, big shiny mags and extra exhaust and this is rice, do the same thing to a XR8 falcon and it is a GT.

It all comes down to your point of view.........
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:22 AM   #10
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

true the "anti rice" brigade are often the biggest wan kers a mod is not to their liking so they carry on and insult the owner. moding a cay is an individual thing and if you don't like a car bad luck you don't have to have one the same in your drive way. I agree there are things that look plain stupid but to each their own. my i prefer appearence mods that look like they could have come from the factory but didn't even down to extra switches . for my fog lights I found a switch from the police pack that i was able to put into the heater surround where a column auto would have the power economy switch. it isn't factory but looks like it could be . some like big wings and such and wheels , not for me but if thats what they like thats fine.

the insulting of people of people based on their taste is not on
Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

Example: Get a lancer, warm the motor slightly (less than 10% power increase), put on a big wing, stripes, a bulge on the bonnet with stickers over it, big shiny mags and extra exhaust and this is rice, do the same thing to a XR8 falcon and it is a GT.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:27 AM   #11
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
the insulting of people of people based on their taste is not on
The insulting of people based on their taste is what RICE is all about.

That it the point I am trying to make.......

If it makes you feel less offended then, take a XR6T put on a wing, big wheels and warm the motor slightly and you have a F6.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #12
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so rice = intollerence and stupidity on the part of the one throwing the insults???? really some of the " rice " carry on i see here is mindless crap.

"It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."

Start a new career as a bus driver

Rides:
FG2 XR6 stock at this stage but a very nice ride

xc 4 DOOR X CHASER 5.8 UNDER RESTO
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #13
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

two things:

1) you cant polish a t urd. a base model kia will never be a fast sporty car so making it look like one is rice

2) you cant buy taste. just because the car or mods are expensive doesnt mean its not rice. if it looks tacky its rice
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:09 AM   #14
MonoJoker
Danger Ranger

Rice (or more correctly "rice burner" is a derogatory term that originated in the motorcycling community to describe any brand of Japanese bike, probably somewhere in the 1970s. At the time it was considered US and European makes were the only thing to be seen on and piano manufacturers like Yamaha were openly laughed at for their efforts.

These days it has been applied to cars mainly and is used to describe any modification which is done purely for cosmetic reasons and does not help (or even hinders) performance. Having said that RICE like any deliberately negative term is purely in the eye of the beholder, very subjective and usually just a troll on forums to get a reaction because someone doesn't like or agree with the modification.

An important note:

Factory rice is STILL rice and is all too prevalent these days.

The number of manufacturers who feel the need to put big wheels, body kits and bling on totally stock models is nothing short of a joke. "Zoom zoom zoom" - yeah whatever it's still a 4 cylinder dunger with some plastic hanging off it, despite you telling all and sundry it's a race car. When was the last time a manufacturer of a 4 cylinder vehicle offered 2 or 3 engine spec/power options? Much easier to throw some tacky fibreglass, 2" bigger wheels and a big chrome tip as the "sports" model. You'll sell plenty...

You can't expect the impressionable young kiddies of today to not get suckered into spending money on fibreglass tack ons, cheap chrome bling wheels and farty exhausts when they are so readily available and often seen on standard models from the factory.

Cheers
LT.
MonoJoker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:10 AM   #15
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement

In my opinion it is any modification that tries to make it look like a race car or has more power than what it really has without adding any performance improvement.
This is what I would have thought. Hence the question that includes standard release vehicles. From a distance a SV6 looks like an SS an XR6 looks like a XR6T - both underdeliver in terms of performance vs appearance. Can these be considered as rice?

Quote:
so rice = intollerence and stupidity on the part of the one throwing the insults???? really some of the " rice " carry on i see here is mindless crap.
This is on the other side of the question. If it's okay to release a standard car with visual non-performance enhancements, why is it not okay to do this with your own take on style? Sure there are bad enhancements that may be poorly implemented but does that mean the same car with the same visual enhancements done well is rice?
Old 22-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #16
sleekism
1999 Ford Fairmont Ghia

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist

That's a bit rough isn't it??

I mean a XR8 is already a fairly fast car while the base model Lancer isn't. I mean if the XR8 was a front-wheel drive V6 you would have a point but it's a V8.

A modified base model Lancer is lucky to get within a lions roar of a stocko Falcon and Commodore.

I largely attribute "ricers" to modified Japanese/Korean economy cars ie. a Mitsubishi Evolution EVO is NOT a while a Mitsubishi Lancer GLi IS.

The difference IMO opinion between the Ricers and Falcadores is that the base model Falcon already shares the drivetrain layout with the performance models and in stock form they are relatively quick and respond well to modifications.

A N/A Mitsubishi Lancer however doesn't share the basic layout with the EVO and in stock form they are lucky to break 10 seconds to 100 kays and modified won't worry a stocko VN.

I don't believe it is harmless these ricers either. Because of them nobody takes young modifiers seriously anymore (I have been quoted upwards of 2 grand for an exhaust) and they have attracted a lot of police attention to p platers with their outrageous modifications and perceived driving ability.
sleekism is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 11:21 AM   #17
Bad Bird
Watts a panhard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3xr6
so rice = intollerence and stupidity on the part of the one throwing the insults????
Why should we have to be tolerant of stupid, no-tech modifications that make the car slower and VERY often more dangerous to other road users?

Big wings often hamper rear vision. Front spoilers change the crumpling characteristics of the car in an accident. Extra dark tint restricts vision. Huge chrome wheels (asides from looking terrible) have large moments of inertia, putting excessive loads on the wheel studs which can be devastating. I can keep going.

There really is a fine line between intolerance and differing opinions.
Bad Bird is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:19 PM   #18
gozza

Rice actually refers to Japanese cars or bikes - This "Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement" joy word is just a term used now by anyone likely to have a slower car than what they are calling rice

ie - Any car with a cannon - It may run 12's but its gotta be rice
gozza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #19
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

This old chestnut comes up often.

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=29790
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:27 PM   #20
KenLee
supercarclub.com.au

Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancements.
KenLee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #21
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gozza
ie - Any car with a cannon - It may run 12's but its gotta be rice
Are you telling me a Milo Tin is a Cannon?

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #22
cool65
carefactor zero

CC of muffler is bigger than CC of engine
race tach with shift light
body kit with neons
cool65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #23
ImpGonads
Fart Powered™

Could you infact analyse it down to $/kW spent on the car? And then give a "safe" range from being critised as a ricer...

What I can't understand is if someone was serious about spending thousands on mods, why use a base model lancer? Or a Kia? I've got an XR6 for christ sake and I'm not going to bother modding it further until I get a Turbo. Common sense?
Old 22-04-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
VZKOOP
Silhouette F6

So is any 'race' enhancement to any vehicle, factory or otherwise, that does not add performance or dynamics to a car rice?

Is the fake exhaust on an XR6 rice? Is the wing and body kit on an SV6 rice? Is a set of big rims on a Magna rice?
Old 22-04-2008, 07:12 PM   #25
woteva

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonoJoker
Rice (or more correctly "rice burner" is a derogatory term that originated in the motorcycling community to describe any brand of Japanese bike, probably somewhere in the 1970s. At the time it was considered US and European makes were the only thing to be seen on and piano manufacturers like Yamaha were openly laughed at for their efforts.

These days it has been applied to cars mainly and is used to describe any modification which is done purely for cosmetic reasons and does not help (or even hinders) performance. Having said that RICE like any deliberately negative term is purely in the eye of the beholder, very subjective and usually just a troll on forums to get a reaction because someone doesn't like or agree with the modification.

An important note:

Factory rice is STILL rice and is all too prevalent these days.

The number of manufacturers who feel the need to put big wheels, body kits and bling on totally stock models is nothing short of a joke. "Zoom zoom zoom" - yeah whatever it's still a 4 cylinder dunger with some plastic hanging off it, despite you telling all and sundry it's a race car. When was the last time a manufacturer of a 4 cylinder vehicle offered 2 or 3 engine spec/power options? Much easier to throw some tacky fibreglass, 2" bigger wheels and a big chrome tip as the "sports" model. You'll sell plenty...

You can't expect the impressionable young kiddies of today to not get suckered into spending money on fibreglass tack ons, cheap chrome bling wheels and farty exhausts when they are so readily available and often seen on standard models from the factory.

Cheers
LT.
Never driven a Mazda hey? You can get a 2.0, 2.3 or a 2.3 turbo in a Mazda 3. You can also get a Mazda 6 with either a 2.3 or turbo 2.3. Bad example! :
woteva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:15 PM   #26
ImpGonads
Fart Powered™

I was going to get a Mazda 6 if not a Falcon. Glad I sobered up before chosing :P
Old 22-04-2008, 07:17 PM   #27
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For me personally, if it looks like it belongs in the Fast and the furious, its RICE. Also stock automatics that have a factory fitted tacho, but then have a 5" monster tacho amongst other gauges scattered throughout the interior.
Complete waste of time mods. I believe it comes down to a Japenese car culture inspired theme of mods. While some of the cars are modded with extremely high horsepower mods, I'd believe alot are just for looks, hence the term RICE.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #28
dv8-01

=Rice
dv8-01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 07:53 PM   #29
Dezza
Parts bin special

In my opinion, if the visual mods look good and suit the car, it isn't rice. But when the cars are fitted with over-the-top bodykits, massive spoilers, stickers all over the front guards, neons, pug-fugly cannon exhausts, and altezzas, that is rice.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 08:12 PM   #30
halo

i dont know why there is so much discussion about this, it is so simple.

i was watching a high octane dvd my brother bought today.

quarter mile race, a late 90s honda civic coupe. bright orange, racer style rims, giant wing, tinted windows, fat cannon, full body kit. I looked at it, i literally said "what a piece of rice". It then went nuts and run a 12s quarter. No longer did I consider it rice.

It goes to show.. Rice is the modification of all thgings that would suggest performance without any actual modificatiopn in performace. Had that civic a shitty 1.6 normal engine and go like any other civic, yep that is rice to the . This one no.

The exact opposite of rice, my mate has an early 90s civic, complete with faded paint, dents etc. He stripped the interior and went a b18c engine and box.
halo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post