Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 05-11-2006, 01:34 AM   #1
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Default Coeliac Disease (Gluten free diet)

Hey all,

My wife has had Coeliac for 5 years now, and has pretty much adjusted to the requirements of the condition, ie. diet etc...

I was just curious if anyone else on here has Coeliac Disease?

If you don't know what it is, its where the body (more specifically the stomach lining) cant tolerate gluten. Gluten being a part of wheat, barley, rye, possibly oats.

So her diet means no normal bread, pizza, pasta, biscuits, gravies, sauces, cereals....you'd be amazed what products contain gluten...potato chips, most frozen chips, most "jar sauces", most soups...the list goes on.

Anyway just wanted others to share any expeience they have with Coeliac...

Cheers

Old 05-11-2006, 10:18 AM   #2
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't know if you are aware of this company, Country Life Bakery. I sub-contract to them. They have a range of gluten free products, they have also taken over another company, Moores bread, they also have gluten free products.
Hope this helps.
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:34 AM   #3
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We have a good friend who has Coeliac disease and went through a tough time before this problem became widely known about. We always cater for her when she visits! Are you a Red Dwarf fan Scotsman?
cheers
Bill.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:36 AM   #4
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

Yea she loves the country Life wholemeal bread...its the ONLY gluten free bread she'll eat.

Yea, I love Red Dwarf Bill!
Old 05-11-2006, 11:39 AM   #5
klawsterfobik
Bad Music and Litre Bikes

My Grandmother has just been diagnosed with this, and she's 80-something. She's adjusting fairly well to her new diet, although she still sneaks the odd biscuit now and then.
Anyway. Enough reality, back to the topic.
klawsterfobik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 11:45 AM   #6
ef19s

My brother also has this disease he was diagnosed at the of 7 now 35 so it has always been part of my child hood growing up .It does make things difficult at a very young age when all of your mates are eating pies and pizza ...
ef19s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:33 PM   #7
MYV8
Gota be happy with a Hump
Donating Member1

My daughter and also a good friend has had it for years. Took a while to diagnose both cases. Some of the supermarkets here in Sydney now have a section specifically for gluten free products which makes it a little easier to find than it used to be.

BluePower Racing Developments ............... Best in the Business
MYV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 12:42 PM   #8
Angry Beaver
Beaver fever

We used the gluten free diet for our son. IT helped him with alot of his attitude problems. The range of gluten free products is growing but its annoying that something that is greatly needed by a lot of people is over charged. THat annoys me.
Angry Beaver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 01:14 PM   #9
Hawk
I am The Brain!

I remember when I was in Maccas probably 8 years ago and the guy in front of me ordered just the meat patty from a burger for his child who had the disease. Was really interesting to see the chick at the register work out what to do.

I don't know a lot about the disease though, what actually happens if you eat something with gluten in it?

Woohoo 1.6L 1999 Toyota Corolla....feel the power!

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realise that what you heard is not what I meant.
Hawk is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 03:22 PM   #10
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

It depends on the person, but my wife gets really bad stomach pain and cramps...and a lot of visits to the toilet...it can last for days...its not nice.

It causes a higher than normal risk of stomach cancer...especially if not found/diagnosed...

A few months ago she was also diagnosed with IBS (Irritable Bowel Syndrome) so she has both to deal with...can take its toll on her.

The supermarkets are starting to become more aware now, but as has been said, the prices are a fair bit higher...$5 for one loaf of GF bread which is about 1/4 the size of a normal loaf...over in the UK Coeliac is far more widespread and the supermarkets are awesome over there...such a huge GF range...its getting better here now.

Angry Beaver...I remember years ago I had a mate who would go crazy if he ate gluten...I mean he would throw a HUGE tantrum...sounds like something similar your son has.

Yea McDonalds are really good about it now...my wife takes her own GF bread to maccas and we just ask them to make a Big Mac or whatever on her bread...they do it with no problems...seems they are becoming more aware of it now.
Old 05-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #11
Ford Racing
Starter Motor

Seen those little loaves of bread in the shops, bloody over $4 for about 8 slices of gluten free bread, absolutely ridiculous for the poor buggers that do have this condition
Ford Racing is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 03:57 PM   #12
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Feel for you scotsman. My wife has something similar but not Coeliacs and so frustrating deaing with the medical profession and nobody being able to give firm diagnosis and treatment. Also difficult for you being in the country and not having access to the food (and paying a motza for it too) - I know, we have a place down at Bay & Basin.

Franklins is probably the best with gf section but they're no longer in Nowra - in Ulludulla now I believe. There is a very good gf bread by R&R (a Qld bakery) - R&R Wholegrain Rice Bread. Available in Sydney through Macro and some health food stores but not in Nowra. We bring survival supplies down like we're going on a trek up the Amazon!

At least with the boss being the cook and us having to share the diet we have a very healthy diet with figures like Elle McPherson (well except for my beer gut and crashing out on desserts to compensate!). Pass on our best wishes - its a hard road we know.
Old 05-11-2006, 05:37 PM   #13
TomXY
XY

MY brother has Coeliac's and has to have special bread made up from a box, basco, i think. The GF bread you buy from shops always falls apart and tastes like crap, but the Basco mix isnt to bad. Still annoying for him though.

It really is amazing how many foods contain gluten!
Old 05-11-2006, 05:48 PM   #14
SNB05T
Dan Brown Photography

i feel for ya man, my mum was diagnosed with coeliac 2 years ago, me and my brother had to help her with a diet (we're both chefs by trade) got the food, then she found out she had bad type 2 diabetes and not coeliac :
seriously though, it is hard to find food and places to eat for coeliacs you have to be on the ball with it cause it only takes one thing to really stuff you up eh :
SNB05T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 05:57 PM   #15
cupic
Nikon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ford Racing
Seen those little loaves of bread in the shops, bloody over $4 for about 8 slices of gluten free bread, absolutely ridiculous for the poor buggers that do have this condition

Just a shame how greed start up quickly hopefully supermarkets will grow some heart and start lower the prices and not to take advantage

cheers
cupic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #16
the_scotsman
MY21.5 Mustang GT

yea...Nowra doesnt have the best selection! lol...

Going to restaurants can be a bit tricky...you need to make sure whatever they're serving contains NO gluten...ie in gravies, sauces...etc...most places are really quite accommodating though.

My wife is the opposite tomyx, she really likes the Country Life bread from coles/woolies but cant stand the basco home made stuff...

Its funny because she said if they made a pill or injection that prevented it, she doubts she would eat normal bread again...the smell off burnt toast makes her feel sick...and I cop some flack if I burn my toast lol!
Old 05-11-2006, 06:47 PM   #17
Pinkbits
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Too bad most of you are in other states, as i am quite often able to obtain "free samples" :
Pinkbits is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 07:36 PM   #18
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

My partner has both IBS and coeliac's as well, so I know what you are going through mate, she was diagnosed 5 odd yrs back, it makes going out and doing the simplest thing's so hard doesn't it, even going out for a meal as such is so hard, people look at you as if your stupid when you ask them what is in some food, at first the suppermarket shopping is real fun, but once you get used to where everything is and what not you learn to live with it, you have to, but all the same it's not very nice.
galaxy xr8 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-11-2006, 08:54 PM   #19
XR8GRL