Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 11-04-2022, 01:28 PM   #1
Focmachine

Default ST170 Owner re-engaging with forum

Hello all,

I've been a member for a little while but I haven't been active since I was welcomed to the Forum.
I hope to change that now I am free to do some long overdue work on my neglected cars.

Daily is a 295k ST170, old owner put on a sweet miltec exhuast and bluefin flash tune, k+n typhoon pod filter.
I had a clutch issue yesterday develop accelerating past the 7k rpm range so I go it home with some minor difficulty and grinding, could be clutch or hydraulic.
The car is ready to be jacked up but I'm procrastinating since a lot of other things need to be done as well if the gearbox comes out.

My other car is a stock 135K ST170 off the road with a similar issue, I sourced an RTS single mass flywheel/clutch for that but that part may be used on the daily driver now and shamefully my clean low k car will remain parked for the time being.

My mates old 3dr Manual 150k Zetec is also in the mix as a parts car.
The plan is to do a five speed conversion on the 295k car with that cars gearbox/engine output shaft, an online guide by 8balltuning details the conversion, it will be a challenge for me so I wont be diving into that one yet

https://www.8balltuning.com/blog/foc...nversion-blog/

I've been buying a lot of parts for my cars so if any LR owners want links to sites in the USA please message me.

I will work on a detailed post with links to some great suppliers that will save you a huge amount of money and what to avoid due to the left and right hand drive configurations.

I'm still learning to drive the forum so I'll try to post some pics, (i just tried that, I'm not sure if they worked and they may have gone up a few years ago since the uploader said I'd uploaded a few before).

I do my own work but I am by no means a mechanic so the workshop manual here, youtube and my Haynes manual are a Godsend.

Hopefully some other LR owners reach out and we can share our enthusiasm and knowledge.

Thanks!
Focmachine is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2022, 01:42 PM   #2
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Default Re: ST170 Owner re-engaging with forum

Welcome. So are you telling us you are fortunate enough to own 2 ST170's??? I too have knowledge of U.K. companies with MKI Focus parts availability. Unfortunately, Ford Dealers here have very limited (if none at all) parts for our MKI's.

P.S. Keep that ST170 standard. Don't do a thing with it!

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2022, 02:50 AM   #3
Focmachine

Hi Ed, How did your rear spoiler go? Did you just get a new zetec hatch from a wrecker? I picked up an LR ghia to use as driver. The weather in the hunter valley hasn’t suited outdoor repairs for months so I needed a daily. The car is an 02 and had 227k on it (now 232) It’s super fun to drive and picks up well off the line with low revs. Bought it sight unseen for 4k from a dodgy used car yard so it had a few issues like blocked pcv, dud power mirrors, bad ac, rusted plugs and worn engine mounts. Fixed those and got ac regassed. All I need to do now is put my old st-170 serviceable shocks and springs on it with new mounts then fix some locking issues and it will be a great little car. I Went back to work so trying to get 295k ST 170 back together and got a mobile mech out to fit the clutch and help me remount the gearbox. Dropping it with the car on jackstands was a bad idea😂 Bilstien B12 suspension kit and new ebc rotors/pad going on as it goes back together around work/weather schedule.
Old 24-11-2022, 01:20 PM   #4
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

I hope you are well, Mate. No, I haven't yet resolved the missing spoiler issue. Let's know how long the re-gas a/c goes as mine eventually failed and I have a Cooldrive compressor in it and works a treat. Hang on to your ST's as they're super rare now.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 24-11-2022, 01:56 PM   #5
Focmachine

The ac is leaky but its holding up after nearly a month and 3k of driving. It deserves a new compressor if it starts failing. Ill get it degassed if stops being icey cold. I can get the motorcraft drier from the USA but need to check the hose diameter as they run two parts.
There is a ford wrecker in campbelltown that may have a zetec 3 or 5 door hatch. As I said my st170 and zetec spoilers are the same
Old 06-03-2023, 10:25 PM   #6
photn
AFF Post NAZI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Focmachine View Post
The ac is leaky but its holding up after nearly a month and 3k of driving. It deserves a new compressor if it starts failing. Ill get it degassed if stops being icey cold. I can get the motorcraft drier from the USA but need to check the hose diameter as they run two parts.
There is a ford wrecker in campbelltown that may have a zetec 3 or 5 door hatch. As I said my st170 and zetec spoilers are the same
Hi FocMachine,

You are correct, the Zetec and ST170 spoilers are correct, however there was a model in australia called the Zetec R which had the mk1 focus RS rear spoiler as standard. If you find one of them, they are worth a fair bit.

I have had a mk1 Silver zetec since 2007 3 door, modified it to look like an ST170, alas in 2016 the engine died and it went in the garage as a project car. Since then i have purchased an ST170 which i aim to repair and drive the daily (4km) to work.

If you are still around and going to do that 5 speed conversion, i might have something you would like. My old Silver 3 door has the mtx75 5 speed, with a Ford Racing LSD , fidanza flywheel and Exceedy Clutch. as im wrecking the car, and not looking to do the conversion, i wonder if your interested. if you are, please drop me a line. I used to live in Camden (near Campbelltown) so i know the area well and still have family there.

photn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post