Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 05-04-2022, 04:59 PM   #1
Fermenter
Starter Motor

Default Window tint (2017 MD wagon)

Does anyone know the actual transmittance of the factory glass, front and rear?

Are the front (ie driver and passenger) windows already 'darkest legal' from the factory, or is there room to go darker?

Where I live it's almost desert, the darker the better...
Fermenter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2022, 09:21 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: Window tint (2017 MD wagon)

None of the glass except the windscreen is at darkest legal from factory - not by a long shot, plus, darkest legal differs between States in this one country of ours.

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2022, 11:03 AM   #3
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
None of the glass except the windscreen is at darkest legal from factory
The MD Titanium (and possibly Trend) features Ford Privacy Glass.

The primary regulation is ADRs. Whilst that principally effects the initial manufacture and sale, I suppose the technical argument is that any subsequent deviation renders your car non-compliant and therefore unroadworthy.

There are essentially three different components:
Windscreen
Side Windows (Driver & Passenger)
Back and Rear Windows.
The Windscreen (excluding a strip at the top) must have visible light transmission of no less than 75%. BUT, this can only be done with coloured glass, it is violation to apply any coating to a windscreen.
Side Windows must have VLT of no less than 70%.
Windows behind the driver (ie back sides, and rear) can have VLT as low as 35%.
(Keep in mind that for a truck there may be NO windows)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
darkest legal differs between States in this one country of ours.
Correct
Guidelines for tint are the domain of the respective state transport/police.
In WA (as an example) the front side windows can be tinted to 35% VLT, and the rears down to 20%.

I don't know what Ford's Privacy Glass is rated at.
Interestingly, I need to get my sides redone, and I was told that I couldn't get them to match.
Which doesn't seem to align. According to the ADRs my Privacy Glass should be no lower that 35%, and I can legally get tint to 35%.
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-04-2022, 04:37 PM   #4
Fermenter
Starter Motor

I think some states make allowances for factory glass, I suppose the assumption being that the car must have met ADRs to be on the road in the first place, and that a uniform by the side of the road with a little gadget can't invalidate the ADR compliance process.

I'm aware that I can't tint the windscreen, and I doubt I'll want to darken the rear privacy glass, so I was mostly wondering if anyone has had their driver/passenger windows tested and what readings they got?
Fermenter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post