Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-05-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Default Adelaide Councils Gone Mad?

I just read this story on Adelaide Now:

Quote:
THE old-fashioned money-saving practice of placing a "for sale" sign in your car window could soon be illegal across the state, with councils starting to introduce a controversial new by-law.

Car owners are already being fined up to $100 by some councils for displaying the signs on their vehicle, even while it is legally parked at a kerbside.
http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/news/s...-1225864047471

I think its absolutely ridiculous. I see quite a few cars driving round with a sticker or sign saying "For Sale" with the owners phone number on it, and now just for that they can get fined for it if they park!

I understand what the article is saying about cars being left somewhere each day with a "For Sale" sign, I know of a couple of hotspots that are like makeshift car yards, but surely having a sign on your car for sale while its parked legitimately out the front of your house or a mate's place is no reason to cop a $100 fine?

Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 03:39 PM   #2
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

LOL

Had that same law in Ballarat for a fair while now. It's crap.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 04:00 PM   #3
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'd refuse to pay that . For sure, it's a blatant money grab.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
rodderz

I think every council's gone mad. All political organisations are now more money and power hungry than ever.

Few years time we'll need a license and permit to fart, or buy carbon credits to up our allowance lol
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 06:23 PM   #5
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Councils are a law unto themselves. Unless you have endless resources and pockets to fight them, they will find new ways to F you over. After all, councils are businesses, and that is their bottom line - to make money.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Didn't something like this happen in Syd a while ago?
Old 10-05-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I cant see how it could be "legal" in a sence as its not public land, but a car.

I think it would be interesting to see how a stupid by-law such as this could be upheld.

I can understand if it was parked on parkland, verge, crown land etc...
But if its legally parked on the street?

This would need clarifiaction to, as to how it affects other advertising, like shopsfronts, houses for sale etc...

In QLD it isnt illegal (yet) however you cant advertise a car for sale on the side of the road without a blueslip. So its a state law, not a council one.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #8
Gaz
Got Ghia?

Need to have a closer look at the law - might just be a matter of removing the words 'for sale' and there won't be anything they can do about it.
Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

This is absurd. So I can put a sticker on my car to tell the council to go get stuffed but I cant put a For Sale sign on my car. Mayors and councillors have always been tinpot despots.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 08:44 PM   #10
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz
Few years time we'll need a license and permit to fart, or buy carbon credits to up our allowance lol
My god, is that true............ I've got IBS & generate enough gas each day to power the state of Tasmania.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:36 PM   #11
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

this was in the saturday advertiser paper too.
they are also saying it may be illegal for a plumber to park his car on the side of the road with sign writing on it because it is for the purpose of advertising.
if this is true, so how does the council worker go to the site in his marked council car and park behind it to issue the fine without that being advertising, shouldnt he be fined too???

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:42 PM   #12
Zero_PSI
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by my67xr
this was in the saturday advertiser paper too.
they are also saying it may be illegal for a plumber to park his car on the side of the road with sign writing on it because it is for the purpose of advertising.
if this is true, so how does the council worker go to the site in his marked council car and park behind it to issue the fine without that being advertising, shouldnt he be fined too???
So. The plan to boost the economy is to remove the ability to advertise a buisness on the company vehicle. ************** BRILLIANT!

If this country is a democracy why don't the citizens have the ability to vote on policies like this?
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:55 PM   #13
rodderz

Melbourne council just announced today that all metered carparking spots, which have currently been free after I think 6pm on weekends, are now metered until midnight now.

And it's supposedly been done to keep old tree's alive which struggled during the drought! The extra few million due to be earned must be needed to pay a bloke to walk around with a watering can
rodderz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:57 PM   #14
snappy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just stick a sign on it saying Maybe for sale
snappy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #15
GR8XR6

You think thats funny. The casey council here in VIC has banned kite flying and radio controlled aeroplanes. You must have licence or face a $200 fine!

Now that is what I call a joke! Kids can't even fly a kite these days!

We are becoming a nanny state! About time these Pollies and Public servants got it right. Some of these laws and bilaws are an absolute joke!

There is my rant!

Cheers
Old 10-05-2010, 11:59 PM   #16
GS608
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm guessing there was something similar introduced around here around the time FOR SALE stopped showing up on cars and in its place was a "WANT THIS? (number)" Maybe they were just trying a new marketing tactic?

Lets hope the law is specific in wording and there are a few loop holes some smart cookies start using.
GS608 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 12:08 AM   #17
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

I'm pretty teed off about this, I'd love to grab my mates car, drive up flaggy hill with a big FS sticker on it, and wait till the inspector comes, then abuse them stupid. I know, I know, wrong way to go about it. But I'd be buried in red tape if I posted complaints, and something like this will never be overturned. But I know for sure if I busted an inspector, I would not allow him to fine me.
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Iggypoppin' is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 09:50 AM   #18
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'll keep doing it. Bugger em'

What phrase could we use instead of "for sale" any ideas?

I'm selling my ED and GQ very soon.
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 10:08 AM   #19
jcxr
Tribal Elder

^^^^ "expressions of interest required"
jcxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 01:22 PM   #20
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

they just need to be more accountable. most councils are run by idiots, Our local gang of boffins are too. one local businessman went to the council to pay his rates, they didn't have his paperwork, so they wouldn't take his money. he came back a week later and got the same thing. they then sent him a bill for overdue account. They wouldn't waive this fee even though it was their fault. He had to take them to court (and won). Not surprisingly, he's now talking about moving away.

fwiw, i'd protest by having a NOT FOR SALE sign in the window.
Old 11-05-2010, 03:45 PM   #21
troppo
Mr old phart

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
Trade for cash of equivalent value

BA GT-P Blueprint
troppo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 05:37 PM   #22
max
LWBforME

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF
I'm guessing there was something similar introduced around here around the time FOR SALE stopped showing up on cars and in its place was a "WANT THIS? (number)" Maybe they were just trying a new marketing tactic?

Lets hope the law is specific in wording and there are a few loop holes some smart cookies start using.
There's probably a basic technicality like any kind of contact appearing on the notice such as phone/ email etc. Having said, that I notice a few CarSales.com stickers on subscribers cars around the traps. I guess that will have to go....
max is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2010, 05:52 PM   #23
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR-CHIEF

AS someone mentioned, you can't have a car displayed as "For Sale" without a roadworthy certificate being displayed...so to avoid having to get a new roadworthy every 30 days, you would have "Interested" or "Want This" as the tagline.

That's how I advertised my old AU back in the day.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 01:26 PM   #24
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZA-289
I'll keep doing it. Bugger em'

I'm selling my ED and GQ very soon.
I've often wondered why people put a "For Sale" sign there in the first place. If you have a price and a phone number it should be obvious what it means.

If anyone is stupid enough (ie: council employees) to ring and ask what all the letters and numbers on your windows mean. Tell them you bought it on Ebay and want everyone to know what a bargain it was
Old 12-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #25
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodderz

that's my money tied up until I cark it.

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 03:35 PM   #26
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

In queensland you can't advertise a car for sale without a safety certificate, so people just put the word 'interested?' and their mobile number. Everyone knows what it means, skirts the law nicely.

On a side note, whenever i sell a car, i stick the safety cert in the rear window and stick pieces of printer paper on one of those silver sunshields people put on the inside of their windscreens. No mess on the glass, not actually putting 'something in the window', just having stuff in the car, rite?
Old 12-05-2010, 04:40 PM   #27
my67xr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: This contribution: 04 SX TX AWD, drama's replacing upper outer joints w/Nolathane replacements 

the problem with this law is it stops any advertising on the car going by what they had in the paper, i would like to see the actual law in writing though

At least seven councils have adopted the by-law - drafted by the Local Government Association - which makes it illegal to display advertising signs on your car when parked in public. Onkaparinga Council says it has issued more than 100 of the $100 fines since banning roadside ads in January.

"Council by-laws like these are whittling away people's basic rights and seeing them getting pinged by the petty hand of bureaucracy," Dr Such said. "This is of concern because the wording of the by-laws means they could also apply - if the council wants to get nasty - to the plumber who parks his car on the road with his name and phone number on his van."

click below to view my build threads
67 XR Fairmont
04 SX TX Territory AWD

my67xr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-05-2010, 04:55 PM   #28
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Council's backing this new law deserve a lynching!!!

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2010, 07:03 AM   #29
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

"my car is parked here lawfully, this car is not for sale due to council laws, do not ring me on 0400 000 123 and offer me $5,000 for my car"
Winner?
Surely they cannot stop you from writing whatever you want in your car so long as it's not offensive.

Who in Adelaide has seen the family that seems to live in their white VT commodore with messages ALLLLLLLLLL over it (messages written in electrical tape)
Something about a fatherday massacre .com rubbish with extra political crap.

Council also seem powerless to stop the guy who lives on Commercial rd Port Noarlunga from having half a dozen 10ft chalkboards on his front lawn with all kinds of personal insults & calling politicians p00fs.
Old 14-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #30
OLDFORDNUT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interested
Ph 0123456789
$5000
SLIPS PAST THE NEW LAW EASILY
OLDFORDNUT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post