Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 16-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #7651
Trevor 57
is now there

Default Re: Covid 19 -

no **** LG
Old 16-11-2020, 06:51 PM   #7652
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I don't understand the resistance to tighten Vic's borders. Declaring it a hotspot...so what? All they are doing is asking questions of arrivals........sorry....that is a really weak control. Shut the borders for 2 weeks and see if they can contain it. We are not going into lockdown 3!
Agree. VIC declaring SA a 'Hotspot', when WA, NT and TAS have closed their borders?? C'mon Mr Andrews, you've managed to win me over during the last few months. Don't let this be your downfall. VIC cannot afford another lockdown! VIC needs to close the border (hard border even), to SA PRONTO!!

Remember you said this in July? "I don't want to be offensive to South Australians but why would you want to go there?". Well, it's now time to say "I don't want to be offensive to South Australians but why would you want any of 'em here?"
4 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2020, 07:44 PM   #7653
prydey
Rob

Not that it makes much difference but turns out it was a cleaner at the hotel... still unknown how she contracted the virus.
https://infogram.com/parafield-clust...h8n6m3wjgo0m4x
Old 16-11-2020, 07:52 PM   #7654
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cars lining up out a southern test station was affecting traffic so they closed up and told everyone to go home.
???

Was just told this by my missus who was there doing aged care
Old 16-11-2020, 07:53 PM   #7655
CoupeKing
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

SoyBoy's can't lead.

Old 16-11-2020, 07:58 PM   #7656
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Cars lining up out a southern test station was affecting traffic so they closed up and told everyone to go home.
???

Was just told this by my missus who was there doing aged care
The thing is, unless you have visited any of the places listed or been out that side of town then it's highly unlikely you will have the virus, especially if no symptoms are present.

People panic and inundate these services and often it's unnecessary.
Old 16-11-2020, 08:06 PM   #7657
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
The thing is, unless you have visited any of the places listed or been out that side of town then it's highly unlikely you will have the virus, especially if no symptoms are present.

I get that people panic and make silly decisions (have you been into a supermarket today? because the TP situation seems to have immediately returned )

But there is a real possibility that people in that line did in fact travel across town.....we've just had a weekend and it was beautiful weather.
This Covid centre is supposed to close at 6pm. This happened between 3 and 4pm.

Lets just hope its contained quickly. My FIL is in an aged care facility on the north side.
This user likes this post:
Old 16-11-2020, 08:38 PM   #7658
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Jesus Gladys, shut the border with SA now
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2020, 09:44 PM   #7659
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

Not necessarily Rob, the places listed are only the known high risk area's based on where the known cases have been, how can you tell who they came in contact with and where they went.
From my own experience the closest ive been to any of the listed hotspots is BCF at Elizabeth, so whilst i can say i havent been in those spots, i dont know where the people standing next to me in the line at the checkout had been or where they went afterwards.
I also came in contact with people from schools in the general area of those that have closed, did they encounter community transmission unbeknownst to them from living in the salisbury area.
Friday night i went to a sporting event which had people from all around the state competing and Saturday i played sport at another club which had teams from other clubs in attendance.
At that stage i had no symptoms.

The problem with Covid is you're spreading it before you know you've got it and moreso at the beginning of an outbreak as theres a belief that its just a sore throat or runny nose, things you get this time of year anyway from hayfever etc.
It wasnt until i saw the news late last night that i became concerned.
5 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2020, 09:59 PM   #7660
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not necessarily Rob, the places listed are only the known high risk area's based on where the known cases have been, how can you tell who they came in contact with and where they went.
From my own experience the closest ive been to any of the listed hotspots is BCF at Elizabeth, so whilst i can say i havent been in those spots, i dont know where the people standing next to me in the line at the checkout had been or where they went afterwards.
I also came in contact with people from schools in the general area of those that have closed, did they encounter community transmission unbeknownst to them from living in the salisbury area.
Friday night i went to a sporting event which had people from all around the state competing and Saturday i played sport at another club which had teams from other clubs in attendance.
At that stage i had no symptoms.

The problem with Covid is you're spreading it before you know you've got it and moreso at the beginning of an outbreak as theres a belief that its just a sore throat or runny nose, things you get this time of year anyway from hayfever etc.
It wasnt until i saw the news late last night that i became concerned.
My point was, there will be people lined up that haven't been within 50km of that side of town. By going out and standing in a queue full of people you are probably putting yourself more at risk than if you just use common sense and practice good hygiene and social distance.
Old 16-11-2020, 10:11 PM   #7661
danzvtil
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How depressing, I was in Foodlands most of the day and didn’t notice any panic buying, only more oldies than usual out to stock up before they go home to see it out.
I have for the first time bought pack of fabric face masks to wear when I’m near PARAFIELD later in the week.
I listened to the premiers announcement at 3:15, went home early via the supermarket and bought $90 of junk food to drown my sorrows. The shut downs arent (yet) as bad as last time, we’ve done it before and can do it again.

2019 LDV G10
2009 Mitsubishi Express-GONE
2011 Honda Jazz
Old 16-11-2020, 10:16 PM   #7662
roddy1960
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here in Tassie today we were told that the 900 or so people that had arrived from South Australia in the past week will be required to go into quarantine for 14 days . My workmate has just had his youngest daughter return home from university in Adelaide . They have been separated for many months .

Extremely unlikely of course that Ebony is covid positive but as we work in a 350 student school and (my workmate and his wife who is a teacher) have come in close contact with so many elements of our school since Eb has returned home , just imagine if she did test positive and how that'd lead to all sorts of action to limit the spread .

Then you look at America and see 184,000 cases in one day ,not to mention six figure cases most of the past week and a death toll fast approaching a quarter of a million . Now there's 50,000 plus essentially ignoring any safety protocols in Washington DC not to mention thousands in other cities to protest an election they say was full of fraud .

Even if it was which is growing increasingly unlikely as case after court case is dismissed the irony is that mass infections will show up this President by not trying to quell these pointless potential super spreader gatherings as an even bigger selfish self centered git than many of us thought he was before .

We are very , very lucky to live in this country right now .
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2020, 10:29 PM   #7663
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
My point was, there will be people lined up that haven't been within 50km of that side of town. By going out and standing in a queue full of people you are probably putting yourself more at risk than if you just use common sense and practice good hygiene and social distance.
And my point is, you dont need to have been over this side of town, someone from over here, who picked it up late last week may have taken it over there and are yet to get their results back to confirm and add their movements to the chain.
As i said, the problem with this bug is you dont know youve got it until youve spread it and with a 48-72hr wait on results we wont know if people took it unbeknownst to the pageant or any number of other widespread gatherings until they find out and share where theyve been.
Old 16-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #7664
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddy1960 View Post
Here in Tassie today we were told that the 900 or so people that had arrived from South Australia in the past week will be required to go into quarantine for 14 days .
I wonder if those 900 people all went to the Aquadome, Elizabeth shopping centre, the plaza or some northern suburbs schools as thats the only place to catch it..
Old 16-11-2020, 11:18 PM   #7665
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I get that people panic and make silly decisions (have you been into a supermarket today? because the TP situation seems to have immediately returned )
Surprisingly this didn't happen during NSW's second wave, no stores I went to at least. I have no idea what Sydney was like though.
Old 17-11-2020, 07:48 AM   #7666
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So ... I am in USA.
There are three free testing clinics withing a 10 minute walk from my home (I may be exaggerating by 2 minutes).

These take booking and "walk-in". They are temporary - in tents.

I had someone I 'know' test positive (Do not worry, I am not in contact with her ;-P)

So ... this:
Day 1: symptoms (Headache, muscle ache, dehydration) only recognisable in retrospect
Day 4 test
Day 6 results Positive

Day 10 symptoms all gone
Day 11 test
Day 13 results positive
Day 14 test
Day 16 results positive
Day 15 test
Day 17 results positive

Around day 12 I do some research and find that CDC say false positives can occur up to 90 days after recovery. The direction for returning from quarantine is the later of

1) 24hours after symptoms stop (without medication), and

2) 10 days after first symptoms

I advise her to stop testing every 3 days

Now .. how many positives would be reported for her ? - 4 !

3 months ago it was a 30 minute drive to get tested, and I would guarantee people were not retesting 3 times.

Testing is easier here, now, so people are retesting to see if they are virus free.

This is why I do not think positive tests should be a measure, over time, of the virus spreading.
Old 17-11-2020, 08:12 AM   #7667
PhilT2

The number of people going into hospital is increasing and some states are reporting a shortage of beds.
https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ve%20increased.
Old 17-11-2020, 08:44 AM   #7668
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
...Now .. how many positives would be reported for her ? - 4 !
That is a stupid way of reporting - you sure that is how they do it?

Here, if a person tests positive the first time they are counted as a new positive case. If they test positive 3 days later it does not count as a new positive case, it is just the person is still positive.

Seems odd that the US counts the way you describe.
Old 17-11-2020, 09:15 AM   #7669
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

Here, if a person tests positive the first time they are counted as a new positive case. If they test positive 3 days later it does not count as a new positive case, it is just the person is still positive.

If that is seriously how they count, no wonder there are so many tin foil hat brigade in that part of the world. That is just inviting conspiracies.

UK still counting deaths using stupid methodology. If you are tested positive, and you die within 28 days, you are assumed to have died from Covid. Even if you get hit by a truck. They "fixed" it by making the timeline shorter

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53722711
Old 17-11-2020, 09:18 AM   #7670
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

It wouldn't be odd it would be useless.

Like here the number of tests are reported, even if people get tested more than once.

Once you are a positive case you are reported once no matter how many times you test positive. Same in the USA, but some people still seem unable to believe the pandemic is happening.
Old 17-11-2020, 09:42 AM   #7671
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
If that is seriously how they count, no wonder there are so many tin foil hat brigade in that part of the world. That is just inviting conspiracies.

UK still counting deaths using stupid methodology. If you are tested positive, and you die within 28 days, you are assumed to have died from Covid. Even if you get hit by a truck. They "fixed" it by making the timeline shorter

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-53722711
Guidelines from WHO for classifing cause of death form Covid 19, I'm not sure where the confusion is with timelines.

https://www.who.int/classifications/...ID-19.pdf?ua=1
Old 17-11-2020, 10:17 AM   #7672
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Not that it makes much difference but turns out it was a cleaner at the hotel... still unknown how she contracted the virus.
https://infogram.com/parafield-clust...h8n6m3wjgo0m4x

Not from human contact.
Apparently from contact with a surface.
Old 17-11-2020, 11:33 AM   #7673
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Just got my results back from SA Pathology and although i feel as crook as a dog im happy to report that they say im negative for Covid which i must say considering the co-morbidities I and those i've been in contact with have, it is a relief.
Old 17-11-2020, 12:48 PM   #7674
Bossxr8
Peter Car

C'mon Dan, shut the border to those filthy, covid riddled South Australians
Old 17-11-2020, 12:49 PM   #7675
Trevor 57
is now there

I find it interesting he is hesitating after all the **** we have gone through the last few months
Old 17-11-2020, 01:02 PM   #7676
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I find it interesting he is hesitating after all the **** we have gone through the last few months
I thought he would have jumped on it straight away. Amazing that he still keeps saying stuff like masks outside are necessary , but he is happy to keep the border open to a state having outbreaks. Strange really.
Old 17-11-2020, 01:34 PM   #7677
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT November 16th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

22 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.268% while active cases rise to 1,345. NSW recorded 2 cases while WA recorded 1 and SA recorded 18 cases.

0 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.249% and active cases stay at 58.

The UK had a lower 21,363 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 213 deaths.

Just under 148k new cases in the USA yesterday and 659 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.214% and active cases rise to 36.8% with the raw numbers rising and now over 4.1M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 55M cases, the last 1M taking 2 days;
Europe passes 14M cases;
The USA completes 169M, India 125M, Russia 69M, UK 38M, Spain 20M, Italy 19M, the UAE 15M, Japan 3M and Norway 2M tests.

Albania (602);
Algeria (910);
Hungary (6,495) - 22% above the previous high;
Iran (13,053); and
Russia (22,278)

... all
recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 17-11-2020, 01:48 PM   #7678
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Guidelines from WHO for classifing cause of death form Covid 19, I'm not sure where the confusion is with timelines.

https://www.who.int/classifications/...ID-19.pdf?ua=1
There is no confusion. It's just how they decided to do it. There is no universal agreement or protocol.

Its funny, countries spent hundreds of millions of dollars each year setting up a world body so that we can deal with these kinds of scenarios with some sort of global coordination. So what happens when the event actually occurs? They all run off doing their own thing. Madness.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 17-11-2020, 02:00 PM   #7679
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

We've been using new cases per 100k of population as an indicator of which countries have been hardest hit over each 14 day period and this time around (up to yesterday) the order for those > 800 is:

Croatia 800;
France 804;
Belgium 819;
Armenia 843;
Slovenia 930;
Poland 985;
Austria 1,050;
Switzerland 1,081;
Luxembourg 1,303; and
Montenegro 1,319.

Even though America has had a lot of cases this last fortnight, averaging nearly 145k new cases a day over that period, it is only 584 cases per 100k of population and the UK is lower again with 496.

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2020, 03:51 PM   #7680
Trevor 57
is now there

come on Dan, shut the S.A. border, I don't want to go into lock-down again
Closed Thread