Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-08-2016, 11:38 PM   #1
SprintFg
Banned

Default Drove a mustang 2.3 turbo..

I bought a fgx xr8 but I was very very close to buying a mustang. Due to the wait, not being able to test drive and the fgx being such a great value muscle car I bought that.

Anyhow I stopped into a ford dealer to have a look. This is the car available to test drive. It had an optional kit fitted.

There is a considerable wait for the 5.0 so only the 2.3 turbo was available. They fitted the wheels from the 5.0 as well.

First impressions are the car looks very nice, really attractive car and great presence. I've sat in one before, but never driven one.

I didn't think the driving position was that dissimilar to the fgx. Steering wheel was a bit low but seat also low. But I didn't play with it so might be some movement there. The front of the car is humongous. Almost like those old corvettes with the huge front, bat mobile, too big. The rear seat has nothing, it was basically touching the front seat. I know it's not meant to be a family car so for one off trips it would suffice.

Driving the car, you just can't see the front, the bonnet also has what looks like a boss bulge but it's just a crease really on both sides.. Seats were nice n comfy and dash looks ok if not a bit retro looking.

The salesman came with me so not much room in the front. It was a little awkward reaching over to drop the handbrake on the passenger side. Salesman probably thought it was an advance of sorts. Lol

On the road, I wasn't too impressed with the 2.3 turbo. Sound was not befitting of the car, it's a muscle car not a VW!! It wasn't too impressive with power either. I think a n/a ford falcon 6 would have more punch than it.

I wasn't too excited about driving it to be honest, it was auto as well. Just felt like the looks of the car were not matching the way it drove, like it wasn't a real mustang? Weird. I took it back to dealer quickly. Honestly I found it as exciting as driving a Toyota Camry.

The sales manager said so what do you think..

My first words were " you just can't buy the mustang with the 4cyl motor" no way. It's V8 or nothing. He tried to justify the car that people using it as a daily buy them but enthusiasts are staunch on the V8.

I also asked if a baby seat would fit in the back, salesman says you don't buy this sort of car for family duties, my response was, do you buy this sort of car for its 4 cylinder performance?" A real show pony (excuse the pun).

I'm glad I bought the fgx xr8, it's a car that you drive, you think geez it has some punch, geez it sounds nice, geez you could get into some real trouble in it, you park it and walk away thinking that's a special bit of kit. As you do if you drive a FPV GT or F6 or xr6t. They are special.

But this mustang was a real sheep in wolfs clothing. I love the look of the car but the drive was very underwhelming. I would still like to buy one but it must be a V8, it must be a manual.. But I think I need to drive it before putting down the cash, what I drove today was like driving a falcon Xt i6 with a GT body kit. It needs to feel special to match its super looks, the substance to match its style.

I think we are really going to miss the falcon, particularly the performance models, they didn't ever look as good as a mustang but geez they drive with some excitement.

im happy with the fgx and until I drive a mustang 5.0, I can't say that I'm sold on the mustang. I won't be buying one site unseen, need to drive the 5.0 and I hope it changes my mind. I hope the 5.0 is a great drive as you cannot buy the falcon v8 any more.

Last edited by SprintFg; 10-08-2016 at 11:43 PM.
SprintFg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2016, 11:41 PM   #2
STINKY NINJA
Banned

Default Re: Drove a mustang 2.3 turbo..

They run mid-high 13 stock so id say they would easily smoke a na 4.0 fg.
STINKY NINJA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 10-08-2016, 11:46 PM   #3
SprintFg
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STINKY NINJA View Post
They run mid-high 13 stock so id say they would easily smoke a na 4.0 fg.
Hmmmm doubt it. Go drive one. I didn't feel that special seriously.
Old 10-08-2016, 11:52 PM   #4
FPV523
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintFg View Post
I bought a fgx xr8 but I was very very close to buying a mustang. Due to the wait, not being able to test drive and the fgx being such a great value muscle car I bought that.

Anyhow I stopped into a ford dealer to have a look. This is the car available to test drive. It had an optional kit fitted.

There is a considerable wait for the 5.0 so only the 2.3 turbo was available. They fitted the wheels from the 5.0 as well.

First impressions are the car looks very nice, really attractive car and great presence. I've sat in one before, but never driven one.

I didn't think the driving position was that dissimilar to the fgx. Steering wheel was a bit low but seat also low. But I didn't play with it so might be some movement there. The front of the car is humongous. Almost like those old corvettes with the huge front, bat mobile, too big. The rear seat has nothing, it was basically touching the front seat. I know it's not meant to be a family car so for one off trips it would suffice.

Driving the car, you just can't see the front, the bonnet also has what looks like a boss bulge but it's just a crease really on both sides.. Seats were nice n comfy and dash looks ok if not a bit retro looking.

The salesman came with me so not much room in the front. It was a little awkward reaching over to drop the handbrake on the passenger side. Salesman probably thought it was an advance of sorts. Lol

On the road, I wasn't too impressed with the 2.3 turbo. Sound was not befitting of the car, it's a muscle car not a VW!! It wasn't too impressive with power either. I think a n/a ford falcon 6 would have more punch than it.

I wasn't too excited about driving it to be honest, it was auto as well. Just felt like the looks of the car were not matching the way it drove, like it wasn't a real mustang? Weird. I took it back to dealer quickly. Honestly I found it as exciting as driving a Toyota Camry.

The sales manager said so what do you think..

My first words were " you just can't buy the mustang with the 4cyl motor" no way. It's V8 or nothing. He tried to justify the car that people using it as a daily buy them but enthusiasts are staunch on the V8.

I also asked if a baby seat would fit in the back, salesman says you don't buy this sort of car for family duties, my response was, do you buy this sort of car for its 4 cylinder performance?" A real show pony (excuse the pun).

I'm glad I bought the fgx xr8, it's a car that you drive, you think geez it has some punch, geez it sounds nice, geez you could get into some real trouble in it, you park it and walk away thinking that's a special bit of kit. As you do if you drive a FPV GT or F6 or xr6t. They are special.

But this mustang was a real sheep in wolfs clothing. I love the look of the car but the drive was very underwhelming. I would still like to buy one but it must be a V8, it must be a manual.. But I think I need to drive it before putting down the cash, what I drove today was like driving a falcon Xt i6 with a GT body kit. It needs to feel special to match its super looks, the substance to match its style.

I think we are really going to miss the falcon, particularly the performance models, they didn't ever look as good as a mustang but geez they drive with some excitement.

im happy with the fgx and until I drive a mustang 5.0, I can't say that I'm sold on the mustang. I won't be buying one site unseen, need to drive the 5.0 and I hope it changes my mind. I hope the 5.0 is a great drive as you cannot buy the falcon v8 any more.
good stuff mate. I had a laugh whilst reading, well written
FPV523 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 12:06 AM   #5
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I drive a "4 cylinder 'sports' car" so I can't really complain, but I struggle to see the attraction.

I bought the XR4 when I owned a BF Cobra. Now only the XR4 remains. It is exceedingly good fun to drive, especially around town. I even kept the boy-racer stripes, because that's what it is, a fun toy.

But I just can't fathom the 4 cylinder Mustang.
What's more, it seems to me to be a bizarre choice. A turbo V6 I could have understood. It would probably out perform a NA V8, or at the very least push the V8 developers to greater heights.

To each their own, if somebody's in love with the 4-cylinder Stang, more power to them them.

Perhaps It I wasn't so old, with so many years of muscle-car worship ingrained into me...
Crazy Dazz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 12:33 AM   #6
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I guess they are trying to cater for those with economy in mind as well as the muscle car lovers , on the plus side , it still looks cool .

speaking of economy , what sort of economy would you expect from one of the little wheezers .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 01:06 AM   #7
nstg8a

If I was in the market is check one out, while I sort of agree a mustang should a v8 I wonder if that's because we are so used to mustangs being a 'premium ' product, where as in America they just another car really.
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 01:48 AM   #8
MethodX
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Certainly looks the goods.
MethodX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2016, 02:12 AM   #9
SprintFg
Banned

I think we enthusiasts see the mustang as the fpv / performance falcon replacement. So naterally the performance standard is a Miami v8 or i6 turbo.

its also only us enthusiasts that get sore about the Falcons demise.

But the 2.3 turbo simply does not cut it. That car is just for a completely different market segment. Someone that likes the looks but won't ever lift the hood or turn a spanner on the car, worries about their fuel consumption and minimise purchase price. They just want to get from a to b and look cool in the process.

But us enthusiasts are about substance over style, the mustang looks are just a bonus. For us, we have to wait for the 5.0 version.
Old 11-08-2016, 02:15 AM   #10
SprintFg
Banned

By the way the kit on the demonstrator in my OP is a $7500 optional cost according to ford dealer. For that coin,wouldn't you option the v8 instead?
Old 11-08-2016, 03:12 AM   #11
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The 2.3 has really good midrange performance, but open it up and it seems to lack compared to the 5.0 TiVCT V8.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 11-08-2016, 06:58 AM   #12
4stanger