Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 09-10-2006, 11:11 PM   #1
kempster1

Default Satellite broardband connection

I am looking at signing up for a broadband satellite connection (the only option I have due to where I live apart from dial up)
There is a mob called IP Plus currently offering a satellite deal here.

Does anybody use them?
Are they any good?
What the service like?

kempster1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2006, 11:48 PM   #2
kempster1

I have searched some more and this is the site of the crowd offering the deal
http://www.mywisp.net.au/satellitebroadband.php

The deal They have offered on paper is better that the deal on the web site???
Old 10-10-2006, 12:01 AM   #3
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have a read through here, it may help

http://bc.whirlpool.net.au/bc-list.cfm?loc=7

EDIT: It doesnt appear to list the company you are referring to, so it may not be a help...Sorry!
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 11:41 AM   #4
ssb2005
Scrubber Racing Team

its pretty crap and expensive if you start d/ling ne thing. i live in the middle of nowhere and with a bit of prodding (and knowing someone from telsra) they got us a 128k ISDN line with unlimited time and downloads.

some will tell you it cant be done probally so they can flog off satellite to you etc. but they just came round plugged soem wires in and gave us a magic box and it was all sweet.
1984 AB GSR Cordia tidy up time. DASH is here!! future track weapon
1973 Yamaha RD 250 project cafe racer
ssb2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 01:50 PM   #5
Grasshoppr
GTI ist ehrfürchtig

I think there might also be a government subsidy for regional areas that need satelitte?

Not sure of details but it would be worth asking the prospective company.

Our Events cater for all types of people.
Grasshoppr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #6
xr8svo
Sykmat

I have friends in regioal qld and they were told by telstra that adsl wasnt avaiable so they got together and started there own service (not sure how they did it) but after they were up and running about 1 week and telstra had it aviable. So it is more that they cant see a need for it so wont bother but i am pretty sure all telstra line are capable they just have to flick the switch. it is kinda like adsl2 & 2+ the lines are capable of running it but telstra wont open the bandwidth for the gp to use and the government decides to sell it off so it only going to get worse.
xr8svo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 05:34 PM   #7
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8svo
I have friends in regioal qld and they were told by telstra that adsl wasnt avaiable so they got together and started there own service (not sure how they did it) but after they were up and running about 1 week and telstra had it aviable. So it is more that they cant see a need for it so wont bother but i am pretty sure all telstra line are capable they just have to flick the switch. it is kinda like adsl2 & 2+ the lines are capable of running it but telstra wont open the bandwidth for the gp to use and the government decides to sell it off so it only going to get worse.

Its not that they cant be stuffed "flicking the switch", they have to invest in equipment (DSLAMS) to install at the exchange which allows the lines to be used for ADSL which is why they only do it where they think is profitable.

Pretty low to install DSLAMS right when your friends get it done.

I met a guy who was firing a broadband signal down a couple of kays by riggin up his own backyard style sattelite.
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 08:22 PM   #8
frost
Banned

Satilite is **** im on it here, provided by Hibis it works better when its overcast, always up and down ect, but its good for downloads if you have a downlaod manager and usally its quick.

XR8SVO its not ITNQ in ignham is it?
frost is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2006, 08:37 PM   #9
kempster1

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKPhoon
I think there might also be a government subsidy for regional areas that need satelitte?

Not sure of details but it would be worth asking the prospective company.
Correct, the government subsidy covers the installation and joining fee's
Old 10-10-2006, 09:09 PM   #10
clontarf_x
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_Terror
Its not that they cant be stuffed "flicking the switch", they have to invest in equipment (DSLAMS) to install at the exchange which allows the lines to be used for ADSL which is why they only do it where they think is profitable.

Pretty low to install DSLAMS right when your friends get it done.

I met a guy who was firing a broadband signal down a couple of kays by riggin up his own backyard style sattelite.
RE: The DSLAM thing, it's not entirely true. What Telstra ADSL customer connect to at the moment ARE DSLAM's. The problem is Telstra in their infinite wisdom know the second they enable G.992.3 and upwards, people are going to obliterate the available IP traffic on Telstra Network. Same goes for anyone who has broadband with anybody that isn't ADSL2/2+ (i.e iiNet)

That is the reason for ISP's investing in their own equipment (DSLAM) and being able to roll our ADSL2/2+ and leaving Telstra and any other ADSL1 provider for dead

RE: The Satellite thing, unfortunately Satellite will always be expensive, and as someone has said the data costs are huge. Your best best it to have ISDN installed. It is about 2-4x the speed of dialup and can be done on any phone line, regardless of what the ISP tells you.

Telstra would be the best point of contact for both Wireless and ISDN services

- Shane, resident ISP nerd

P.S The Government incentive being spoke about is called HIBIS. Worth querying any ISP's you contact to see if they participate
clontarf_x is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post