Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 31-05-2009, 02:00 PM   #1
Kryton

Default Chainsaw Q

Bought a Stihl MS 170 Chainsaw yesterday (new) and i just wanted to know if it should be using a tank of bar oil for every tank of fuel or does it need to be wound back a bit?

Its on its 3rd tank of fuel so its ran it already (probably why it uses so much bar oil).

Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 02:44 PM   #2
redxm
64 Deluxe 4 door
Donating Member3

depends on what sort of wood you are cutting as to how much bar oil feed you have.
iron bark would be maximum oil and something soft like pine you could back it right off
redxm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 04:02 PM   #3
GUTLES
Adam.

I work in a Stihl shop & yes its fine for it to be using roughly a tank of bar oil to a tank of fuel, if you back it off your bar/chain & sprocket will wear out quicker.

2007 BF Mk2 Winter White E-Gas Wagon, 6 Seater.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
GUTLES is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #4
Kryton

Thanks.
any tips for cleaning at the end of the job to keep the chainsaw looking/performing at its best?

yesterday i brushed it all down and washed it with the hose running only slightly to get all the crap off it, gave it a wipe with a rag to dry it and then wiped over the chain to get the water and other crap off.
a final run of the saw to re-lubricate the chain and sprocket and it was looking pretty good.
Doesnt really mention cleaning in the manual.
Old 31-05-2009, 08:26 PM   #5
351buzz

just concentrate on the air filter, they clog pretty quick, the rest of the crap should just fall off, eventually
351buzz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-05-2009, 09:22 PM   #6
GUTLES
Adam.

Take the Sprocket cover off, give it a bit of a blow up with an Air Gun if you have one, wipe the rest down, rotate the bar every know & then so it wears evenly, check the Oil Hole on the Bar isn't blocked, check there isn't a blockage in the Oil by running it with the Bar pointed close to the ground - it'll make a line of Oil on the ground if its working correctly, clean your Air Filter regularly as davway said & keep your Chain sharp.

Let me know if you need any parts for it & I'll help you out with good prices.

2002 AU3 XR6, Liquid Silver, Manual, Sunroof, LPG, Rebel Kit, BA GTP's, Momo Steering Wheel & Gear Knob.
Old 31-05-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
Kryton

Thanks for the offer, ill keep that in mind.
Once i finish pruning ill give it a good clean down and take it for its first service (for free) and get the chain professionally sharpened (its had 5 hand sharpens already so its due anyway).

How much would a hard case be for the MS170?
Old 31-05-2009, 10:43 PM   #8
GUTLES
Adam.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
How much would a hard case be for the MS170?
Can do one for $40.00, they retail for $79.00 from memory, would cost $10.00 to get it over to you.

Old 01-06-2009, 12:41 AM   #9
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES
Can do one for $40.00, they retail for $79.00 from memory, would cost $10.00 to get it over to you.
that sounds like a pretty good price.

i picked up a couple of "shindawa" ? saw cases the other day for the saws at work and they were $79 each.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 AM   #10
Kryton

Quote:
Originally Posted by GUTLES

Outstanding!
PM me some details and ill have some $$ in your bank tomorrow. :
Old 03-06-2009, 04:05 PM   #11
GUTLES
Adam.

PM Sent ;)

Old 04-06-2009, 09:59 PM   #12
dave351cid
playing in my big shed

instead of starting a new thread i will hi-jack this one for a bit.

- i`ve got an older stihl 009 that i bought at a garage sale. great little saw. it hadnt been used for ages and had no spark plug when i got it, new plug and it goes great starts first pull. not bad for $20.

"GUTLES" i have a question for you... do you know if the chain oiler can be adjusted on these. it oils a bit but not enough to make the normal spray off the end of the bar. i have put a new chain, bar and sprocket on it and dont want to burn them out from lack of lube.
`04 BA XR6 Turbo sedan. Blueprint. auto, Leather trim.
`03 BA XLS ute . Acid Rush, factory lpg, auto,
`48 TEA20 Grey Ferguson,
`62 Willys 6-230 , 4x4 light truck
`04 Yamaha TTR 250
dave351cid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #13
Starr
BF MkII Ghia - Silhouette

Hi Dave, I have a Sthihl 018 (since new) and it is pumping a lot less chain oil than when new - tried cleaning the gallery back to the pump which did help (just used air) but still not great - I'll look forward to any suggestions too