Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #601
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 
Default Re: Any VF performance figures out there yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Venture are directly next to Broadmeadows, Holden would have their own supplier near them. May be Venture I don't know, but not built on the same line. You can tell because Venture Broadmeadows would never send such wonky stitching into the Ford factory cause they know it would get sent straight back.
Its actually continental that build the dash now. Venture lost the contract.
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #602
Tough Ford

Lets hope FH or FU or whatever is an understated XR8 335 with an INTERCOOLER and maybe some 275 rubber to give us some parity with the hsv.
Still not bad from only 5 Litres, and if they can keep the cost down, the Falcon will get a deserved send off. Oh well 5.8 Litres of Mustang or ecoboost V8 will relieve some of the misery.

Cleveland goodness wrapped in a FORD shell
Old 07-11-2013, 07:23 PM   #603
Bossxr8
Peter Car

The intercooled Miami engine's ship has sailed. Such a shame. It was ready to go, but the issue was firewall strength where the firewall meets the floor. The engine was generating so much torque it was actually causing cracks in the area. It was already strengthened there for the 335, it would have needed extra strengthening for it and then it would have needed to be crash tested. Which is why it was killed off because that costs millions.
4 users like this post:
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 PM   #604
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The intercooled Miami engine's ship has sailed. Such a shame. It was ready to go, but the issue was firewall strength where the firewall meets the floor. The engine was generating so much torque it was actually causing cracks in the area. It was already strengthened there for the 335, it would have needed extra strengthening for it and then it would have needed to be crash tested. Which is why it was killed off because that costs millions.
I wonder if that would have any implications for those high powered modified GT's?? You'd have to think so?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #605
Bossxr8
Peter Car

I think over time it may rear it's ugly head.

If the factory testing picked it up then some of the big powered one must surely have even more stress in this area.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:27 PM   #606
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah, you'd think so... I wonder how extreme the factory testing was though?
Old 07-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #607
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

It would be good is some shops or owners could go take a look see for the firewall issues.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

Old 07-11-2013, 09:14 PM   #608
1TUFFUTE
Banned

There was a fair bit of design for the covers to help airflow and heat sink so maybe with the detuned power levels they're running(with no intention of lifting the power) it's simple not going to be an issue. Havnt really heard of any heat problems with them anyway.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:40 PM   #609
jimmyxr6t04
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

but for those with tunes, injectors, intercooler etc it might cause an issue? interesting to know if any of the tuners have noticed anything?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 PM   #610
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That doesnt sound good at all, will the cracking issues only be on the FG 5L firewalls? Or the T6 firewalls aswell?
Old 08-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #611
Bossxr8
Peter Car

It's torque that's the problem, it twists the engine on the engine mounts and causes the body to twist/flex. So i'd assume it relates to any engine that makes enough torque. I've only heard of it in FG's with the V8 but that only relates to factory torque figures with the intercooled motor. Obviously with factory engines it never effected any other models but with the boost cranked up on a T6 or a big power 5.4 it may have the same issues in earlier models. I'm sure if you make enough grunt any car will eventually show these sorts of issues. But FG has a different front end design so maybe only FG's?

Factory torture testing is brutal and will far exceed what it would probably see in real life, bar maybe the ones who spend a lot of time on the strip or the track.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:31 AM   #612
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Bossxr8 is right, it’s nothing new and very common when the power output has been increased substantially over the vehicles initial design.

I had metal plating welded to the chassis and underbody of my Torana when the 350 was installed as it kept twisting from the torque and cracked rails and it was only a bit over 400hp at the flywheel.

If you are buying any car that has had a big power increase you should always look for signs of stress and fatigue caused by the twisting action. Even more so if you know it has spent time at the drags.

He’s a good video showing the extreme of what is going on.

http://youtu.be/vGqvY4ZCPHg

2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #613
40RDT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Couple of vids of VF GTS upgrade kits from Harrop

http://youtu.be/zG1LkDPNdQg

http://youtu.be/swd1TWB7Up4
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2013, 10:26 PM   #614
uniacidz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40RDT View Post
Couple of vids of VF GTS upgrade kits from Harrop

http://youtu.be/zG1LkDPNdQg

http://youtu.be/swd1TWB7Up4
Umm that's horn

Sent from my HTC Aria using Tapatalk II.IV.X
VX SS (R.I.P)
VE Berlina
Old 11-11-2013, 09:46 AM   #615
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pulley and filter. Hawn az brahz.

I'm seeing massive support for the bombadore and HomoSexual Vehicles on FB from Harrop, why haven't Harrop supported the FG with similar items and packages?
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
This user likes this post:
Old 11-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #616
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I would say it is numbers. A lot more Holden boys and a lot more of them spend money. Targa High Country was up my way on the weekend, lots of Commodores amongst the Porsches, Ferraris etc. but the only Falcon I saw was an XE.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:13 AM   #617
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Porsche and Ferrari boys would've been having a good old chuckle at all the Holden rednecks including themselves amongst the pack of Euros. They must have been reading the GTS vs. Euro comparo's and gotten a bit cocky
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
Old 11-11-2013, 10:20 AM   #618
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

Perhaps. Set up and driving skill or bravery can surprise some. I had a stock E49 Charger on stock brakes and skinny road tyres when WRX Subarus were fairly new on the scene. I did a couple of tarmac hillclimbs and used to beat half the 40 odd WRXs that were entered, and whopped more than half of them in a State Motorkhana round I entered in the Charger.

Some of the Commonwhores probably went alright up here at Targa High Country, perhaps the XE did too :-) Heaps and heaps of light little Dattos and Alfas up here in Targa High Country on the weekend too. Some of the best stages are only a couple of km from my house which is convenient when I want to take a bike or car for a fang.
2 users like this post:
Old 13-11-2013, 03:09 PM   #619
Chopped
as in chopped

lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LHX0hOvJrY
Old 13-11-2013, 03:23 PM   #620
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
C&A Auto Fashion's Holden Commodore VF SS-V struggled for full traction on the dyno melting the tyres in the process, but it was still enough to be the highest reading for the day! The car is powered by a GM 410ci LSX V8 engine and boosted by a Garrett GTX42R turbocharger.

MotorEx Cruise for Charity 10, Lardner Park, VIC, Australaia ~ November 10th 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUoKZSpaLgU

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Old 14-11-2013, 08:38 AM   #621
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

here is a couple of videos of stock VF gts on the dyno power figures are 315 to 320rwkw stock so sort of proves what a few people have been saying about holdens claimed power outputs and fords understated power figures https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3l9xadHUS0 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZqMdDxFvQYY so it would seem the tyre width and choice is the difference between the gt and gts as similar rwkw are achieved stock with the gt

FG F6 Manual 366RWKW tuned by BLUE POWER

2 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 08:51 AM   #622
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwsz6RSB4s heres a stock 335 gt dyno to put in prospective

3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #623
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 82XD393.3v View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNwsz6RSB4s heres a stock 335 gt dyno to put in prospective
Their dyno is most likely reading high. There's no way that a 5.0l blown motor can have more power than a 430kw euro killing 6.2l boat anchor, especially when it packs torque vectoring, 17 piece brakes and heated ash tray. I'd like to see what GT gets on formula techs walkinshaw dyno.
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
4 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 11:03 AM   #624
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

it may read high who knows but its very common for a gt to hit 320kwkw or more stock so it means there is very little difference in outputs so it comes down to tyres specs, fords need more width and a better tyre to give similar times, simple would you agree with that 40RDT
i would bet my bottom dollar a gt with same tyre width and tyres as the gts will match or better there times

4 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 11:06 AM   #625
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ohh **** i just realise my old f6 with a cat and tune has more rwkw than the gts cooolllllllllllllll

6 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #626
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stazza View Post
Their dyno is most likely reading high. There's no way that a 5.0l blown motor can have more power than a 430kw euro killing 6.2l boat anchor, especially when it packs torque vectoring, 17 piece brakes and heated ash tray. I'd like to see what GT gets on formula techs walkinshaw dyno.
Their Dyno does read high. But thats why the other shop challenged them to run it up on their dyno and it still made nearly 330rwkw. After driving them both theres not much in them until your really flying then you an start to feel the extra torque the HSV has to offer.
The Work Truck

3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #627
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx View Post
Their Dyno does read high. But thats why the other shop challenged them to run it up on their dyno and it still made nearly 330rwkw. After driving them both theres not much in them until your really flying then you an start to feel the extra torque the HSV has to offer.
cubes will always give the extra torque but with the more advanced engine of the gt give it extra rim width and tyres there would be a minimal of difference, do we have any 80 to 120 times to see the difference in torque it makes???

Old 14-11-2013, 11:35 AM   #628
Motorbreath310

Hmm makes me wonder how the GTS, and an R-Spec, would go against each other on a track. Or, if you had the same tyre and rim combo on both, just to see whether the GTS is really as far ahead of the FPV (performance/handling-wise) as the reviews are suggesting.
Old 14-11-2013, 11:54 AM   #629
82XD393.3v
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorbreath310 View Post
Hmm makes me wonder how the GTS, and an R-Spec, would go against each other on a track. Or, if you had the same tyre and rim combo on both, just to see whether the GTS is really as far ahead of the FPV (performance/handling-wise) as the reviews are suggesting.
this would be the most fairest comparison to see where theses cars are really at same tyres and same rim width i would love to see it

Old 14-11-2013, 12:43 PM   #630
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

On the 1/4mile I think they will be very close. Theres the video against the CLS45 AMG of the car running 12.2 but nothing since then in the real world. I am biased obviously but I am slightly dubious of that Video. It came at a time when everyone was questioning the GTS as it was falling short of its hype. Its not been done again since and the dyno numbers are showing that. Dont get me wrong the GTS is quick and I quite like the package styling aside. Theres a single video of one running up 0-100 but its no quicker than the video I have of my RSpec, both auto both 4.4s.

On the track though different story. My mate reckons he is 4s a lap faster at QR in the GTS than he was in his FG F6. He said he was reining in FPV's all day long on the straights and getting out of corners on the power quicker. He also mentioned though that most were not going hard like he was but then I was reining in other FPV on the track day so his comparison whilst driving is not valid but the times in his F6 are.
The Work Truck

2 users like this post:
Closed Thread