Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Focus

Old 22-09-2006, 07:52 PM   #1
ron74
Starter Motor

Default Service rip off!!

I own a 2003 LR zetec, great car couldnt be happier, then i started to ring around for a quote on servicing the car. Its due the 45k service, which takes (according to the manual) 1 hour, it includes new filters and oil and the rest is visual checks, two Ford dealers on the gold coast quoted me $260!
These cant be right, anyone got any suggestions or good reliable mechanics i can use. Cheers.

ron74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 08:31 PM   #2
FRA
Mr Focus

Do it for self man and save money and start to learn about your Focus.
I got sick of being rip off by Ford so i know how you feel dude.
Hey I'm not mechanic but, new oil and fuel filter is easy to do man.
And your stock air filter is a piece of pi$$ man.
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody
Oz racing: WRC OBX: 4-2-1 race header
SCT: xcal3, dash scan.
FRA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 09:10 PM   #3
ron74
Starter Motor

Ive got warranty to worry about or i would do it myself
Old 22-09-2006, 09:34 PM   #4
FRA
Mr Focus

So what will you do?
Take it else where?
Cosworth: 2.5" high flow exhaust system, piston & rod 8.5.1 Ford Racing: Tail lights, engine cover, racing wing, cnc'd head, manifold, 70mm tb. Lentech: Torque Convertors with 23 spline input shaft, valvebody

Last edited by FRA; 22-09-2006 at 09:49 PM.
Old 22-09-2006, 09:38 PM   #5
FRA
Mr Focus

We have warranty as well man but, the warranty means F$%^ all when it comes to any problem that are under warranty man.
Take it from a few of us in this ford forum who had problems with our Focus.
Sorry just how we feel about this issue and that me and my g/f.
Old 22-09-2006, 09:53 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRA
the warranty means F$%^ all when it comes to any problem that are under warranty
not quite sure what you mean by this?
Old 22-09-2006, 10:02 PM   #7
melbzetec
Old enough to know better

I've never had an issue with problems under warranty. And a service is more than changing oil and filter
Mods: Ford Racing CNC'd cylinder head milled .040", 3 angle valve grind. Ford Racing Stage II camshafts. Ford Racing cam gears. Ford Racing long tube header. Random Technology hi flow cat. Herrod 2.25" stainless cat-back. Pipercross Viper intake. CFM 65mm throttle body. 2000 ported intake manifold. Herrod Custom SCT tune. Eibach suspension. Quaife ATB diff. Wilwood 13" brakes. Custom ST170 leather interior.
www.cardomain.com/ride/2773918

melbzetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:38 PM   #8
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm about to book in for my 30,000
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-09-2006, 10:42 PM   #9
Laminge
Cuban... nothing like it

Try one of the site sponsors, your profile doesnt have your location so beats me which one
Laminge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 12:04 AM   #10
zetec
Zoom Zoom

I to haven't had any issues with warranty, they've avtually helped me on occasions I wouldn't have expected them to (I had an exhaust and lowering springs) and expected them to blame the mods.

As for cost, you can only shop around. I''ve paid $220 in Melbourne, but I agree it's more than a filter and oil change, it includes the safety checks etc. They also check for fault codes using the Ford computer. I haven't got the full list of htings here, but check your manual, it gives you an idea of exactly what gets done. Think it's bad? You're lucky you didn't buy a "cheap, reliable" Corolla. Intervals every 10,000km and 6 months... means more frequent services. So it'd be even costlier!! Focus has the longest intervals and some of the most cost effective ownership compared to most other models (like the premium Pugs, VW's) and it's about equal with Astra fro memory. Been a while since I was in sales, but 2 years ago the Focus was the cheapest car to service in the class after our own research, I doubt that has changed much.
Old 23-09-2006, 12:35 AM   #11
tufLTD
tufLTD

15,000 km service intervals is ridiculous. The only reason they stretch intervals is to appeal to fleet & govt buyers to lower the maintenance costs.
No-one in their right mind would run oil for 15,000 kms. Ask anyone on this forum. Later Falcons, Lasers, etc all have 15,000km intervals but all smart owners change the oil & filter every 10,000 km max.
As for $220 for a 45,00 km service, it's a rip-off. Most reputable workshops will do it for around $120 including oil & filter, & they won't be putting a 2nd year apprentice on it!
Old 23-09-2006, 04:19 AM   #12
Marshy79

You can go other places than Ford themselves.

Try Ultratune? They give a very detailed report on everything about your car after you are finished as well.

Using places like Ultratune will also keep your warranty intact.
Marshy79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-09-2006, 09:57 PM   #13
ron74
Starter Motor

Thanks for everybodys feedback. The thing is i spoke to the service manager at two Ford dealers and they confirmed the only things to be changed were the filters and oil. No computer checks, no other mechanical work just visual checks all of which any responsible owner should be well on top of! and this is in line with the service manual. So im taking my business somewhere else but a Ford dealer!
Old 24-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
BlackLS

So long as the service is done by a mechanic who is or has someone fully qualified supervising work, and the service log is stamped, then you will have warranty. Unless the non-genuine parts directly cause a problem (eg non-ford oil filter splitting and draining the car of oil - no warranty on the engine only)
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-09-2006, 10:37 AM   #15
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You could fax the dealers a 'request for quotation' making it clear the request will go out to several dealers.

This is normal business practice.
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-09-2006, 09:42 AM   #16
theBlake

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron74
two Ford dealers on the gold coast quoted me $260!
These cant be right, anyone got any suggestions or good reliable mechanics i can use. Cheers.
Ross Automotive. They are in Labrador-ish. bit far away for me so i havent used them (yet), they are a member of my church, i know heaps of people have used them, never heard a complaint.

They advertise heavily on 107.3 Fm the fact they do under warranty servicing.
Old 04-10-2006, 09:42 AM   #17
AS_Telstar_Man
Starter Motor

sheesh - 15000km service intervals! That's totally wrong, I don't care how well the engine is designed its gotta be criminal to leave oil in there for that long (if it hasn't already been all burnt away). Are the sumps massive or something? 15000 city ks is a lot of wear and tear on everything (brakes especially) and by 45000kms they'll be checking things like disc rotor thickness and warping, pad thickness etc. Its probably due for its first coolant change as well and if the planets have aligned badly and you're up for brake fluid then 260 is reasonable for the CBF to do it myself factor.

Hell everytime I service my telstar I do the things I can do myself first and then take the 'too hard' bits (suspension and gearbox work) to a mechanic mate who charges jack-all for labour but a pair of fitted shocks is worth $330, a clutch overhaul is worth about the same.

I think toyota has it right with the shorter intervals (7500km for a city camry) - they had to shorten them to stop people abusing the crap out of their camrys and corollas - you can alledgedly drive these things for its first 100k without opening the bonnet at which point the car is f**ked. Their reputation came back to bite them in a way.

Next time u go to a mechanic I can put money on the fact you'll see a 2.2litre camry with its engine out of the bay getting the sludge sandblasted out of its internals.
AS_Telstar_Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2006, 10:19 AM   #18
More revs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Even the Form mechanic advised me with a knowing wink it's a good idea to have intermediate oil changes between services.

So I do that, just to make sure..
More revs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post