Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-07-2012, 08:35 PM   #1
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default online tax accountants?

So with my current job I have a lack of time to go to an accountant so Am considering an online accountant where you enter your details then someone calls you to make sure that you maximise the return, and the small fee of $79. has anyone used one before?

My tax return is very simple with no investments etc just the basic few things to claim, so is it worth it?

Old 30-07-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: online tax accountants?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat4D
So with my current job I have a lack of time to go to an accountant so Am considering an online accountant where you enter your details then someone calls you to make sure that you maximise the return, and the small fee of $79. has anyone used one before?

My tax return is very simple with no investments etc just the basic few things to claim, so is it worth it?

If yours is simple with minimal deductions , why not download ETAX off the ATO website and do it yourself.

Most things in the return are auto fill from data the ATO has about you anyway (like your earnings, bank interest, etc) and it guides you through each step regarding deductions you can claim and tax offsets (rebates) , so it's very simple to use...save youself $79 and keep it in your own pocket
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
GT0132 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-07-2012, 09:12 PM   #3
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I looked at it and it came up with that I owe almost a grand so I'm hoping I did something wrong and wanted someone to have a second look, I checked on the ato site for how much tax I should have paid and it was fairly easy as I almost earned exactly 80 thou and from what it says I should have paid I had paid about 2000 over, or should I just send it off with saying what I have to pay money and they will fix it on their end?
Old 30-07-2012, 09:24 PM   #4
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I looked at it and it came up with that I owe almost a grand so I'm hoping I did something wrong and wanted someone to have a second look, I checked on the ato site for how much tax I should have paid and it was fairly easy as I almost earned exactly 80 thou and from what it says I should have paid I had paid about 2000 over, or should I just send it off with saying what I have to pay money and they will fix it on their end?

When you checked the ATO site, and it said that you paid $2,000 over what you should've paid, did you take into account the medicare levy of 1.5%?

On $80,000 you need to have paid $18,750 in tax (incl medicare levy) to avoid paying the ATO any more money.

For every dollar you can claim as a tax deduction, you get 30 cents back in tax.
2005 BA MK2 FPV GT - 6 SPEED MANUAL , SILHOUETTE, SWISSVAX, SUNROOF, BILSTEIN AND LOVELLS, FACTORY GENUINE 19'S, X-FORCE STAINLESS QUAD CATBACK, ADVANCE HEADERS, 200 CPSI CATS, BLUEPOWER CAI, HERROD BREATHER KIT, 4:11 DIFF RATIO, MAL WOOD OPT 3+ CLUTCH, BILLET SHIFTER, MELLINGS 10227, NOW WITH REVERSE CAMERA/SENSORS, ALPINE SPEAKERS & SUB - CUSTOM TUNED TO 275 RWKW

NOW WITH A NEW ADDITION - 2017 MUSTANG V8 GT FASTBACK - , 6 SPEED AUTO IN PLATINUM WHITE,
Old 30-07-2012, 09:32 PM   #5
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[/LIST]Ah... Does the site not include that (Medicare levy)? Is there an age that you pay that simular to how the health insurance works or is it across the board? Did you find a calculator that worked that out? I surfed the website for ages but couldn't find one that seemed to come up with the right tax return... And I know sounds stupid but there is heaps of calculators
Old 30-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #6
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The rates for 2011/12 were as follows

income up to $6,000 - NIL
$6,001 to $37,000 - 15% = $4,649.85
$37,001 to $80,000 - 30% = $12,899.70

Medicare levy = $80,000 x 1.5% = $1,200

so $4,649.85 + $12,899.70 + $1,200 = $18,749.55

Because your income was over $77k you will also pay the medicare levy surchage of 1% ($800 on top of the $1,200 above) if you were single wiuth no dependant children and did not have private health insurance

Old 30-07-2012, 09:48 PM   #7
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So as I don't have health insurance the total amount I have to pay is $19549.55?
Old 30-07-2012, 09:53 PM   #8
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So as I don't have health insurance the total amount I have to pay is $19549.55?

Yep thats right , unless you have any deductions you can claim, remembering that your tax comes down by 30 cents for every $1 you can claim as a deduction.

Ideally if you could get your taxable income down to below $77k by having legitimate tax deductions, you'd avoid that additional medicare levy surcharge of $800.

Last edited by GT0132; 30-07-2012 at 10:02 PM.
Old 30-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #9
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT0132
Yep thats right , unless you have any deductions you can claim, remembering that your tax comes down by 30 cents for every $1 you can claim as a deduction.

Ideally if you could get your taxable income down to below $77k by having legitimate tax deductions, you'd avoid that additional medicare levy surcharge of $800.
Ah that could be the key, I use my car a bit for work so I may be able to make it, between that a computer, phone and other things.

Thanks for your help and advice really appreciate it, if I every run into you at something remind you I owe ya a beer, or if it's a cruise a coffee
Old 30-07-2012, 10:27 PM   #10
fat4D
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Ah that could be the key, I use my car a bit for work so I may be able to make it, between that a computer, phone and other things.

Thanks for your help and advice really appreciate it, if I every run into you at something remind you I owe ya a beer, or if it's a cruise a coffee
Old 30-07-2012, 10:47 PM   #11
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

No worries mate/....happy to have helped you

Old 31-07-2012, 12:45 PM   #12
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Good advice above..ive been using ETAX for years and its awesome if your situation is not overly complicated.

PREFILL is a nice features, saves heaps of time.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2012, 06:28 PM   #13
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
No worries mate/....happy to have helped you
GTO, I'd just like to congratulate you on the even handed and sensible advice I see you handing out all over the forum. Well done.
nuthin' fancy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
GT0132
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy
GTO, I'd just like to congratulate you on the even handed and sensible advice I see you handing out all over the forum. Well done.

I appreciate your kind words mate...Cheers