Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 08-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #1
WHYME
Next up?

Default Mad Max Replicas

Just out of interest, does anyone know of a place in Melbourne where you can hire the Mad Max Replica cars for an event? I'm talking the infamous XB Coupe and XB interceptors... nothing quite like seeing a black XB leading the way, and a few interceptors following it's way down the road.

WHYME is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-05-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mad Max Replicas

try here, i don't know his location
http://madmaxmovies.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=10810
if not, maybe post an ask.
Old 12-05-2015, 07:39 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

I don't think there are any official companies that have those two vehicle.

You would have to try the pages on FB and ask.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-05-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
WHYME
Next up?

Thanks for the response guys I'll give it a shot. On another note I can't wait to watch the new Mad Max, in preparation I watched the original Mad Max trilogy - love it!

Old 12-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #5
MercurySilver
Isn't it obvious?
Donating Member1

speaking of which the trilogy was going out on bluray at jbhifi on the weekend for under $30
MercurySilver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 01:29 AM   #6
WHYME
Next up?

Hehe yes, I may have also bought the Blu-ray collection this weekend that just passed.

Old 13-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #7
Sprint
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seen a Max XC in Adelaide last week on a trailer.
Sprint is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-05-2015, 11:23 PM   #8
WHYME
Next up?

There's also one for sale, not a bad price either considering. http://www.fordmusclecars.com.au/vie...p?ItemID=13226

Old 14-05-2015, 12:04 AM   #9
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYME View Post
There's also one for sale, not a bad price either considering. http://www.fordmusclecars.com.au/vie...p?ItemID=13226

Now that's something you don't see every day. Certainly stands out!!

I mean, the "normal" Mad Max replica is the Falcon coupe...and sorry but there comes a time when something lesser known is more interesting than the far better known versions.
You see a Mad Max Falcon coupe somewhere? Hmm. Interesting, well worth a look. But there are, to be blunt, heaps of them around, even around the world.
But how many Pursuit and Interceptor 4 door XB sedans are there? Bugger all.
Same as the furor online about the Pedders "Mad Max tribute" prize car. It's a HQ Monaro, black, big block, with the "double decker" bonnet scoop. It also has the correct gold MFP emblems on the rear quarter. And holy hell you'd think they made a Mad Max replica out of a 120Y...the comments on the Facebook page are everything from pig ignorant to downright nasty. Things like "The cops never had a Holden in the film", and "Mad Maxs car was a Falcon", and "sacrilege" and other rubbish.
Presumably none of these people had ever seen the movie...or not taken much notice of exactly what the car was that the Night Rider had stolen in the opening chase scene...I call it "the forgotten Mad Max movie car", because I've never seen anyone do a replica of the police pursuit special that the Night Rider stole.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #10
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
There's also a member from Townsville that has one.
Old 14-05-2015, 11:44 AM   #11
snopony

I think I saw Kerry Turleys black coupe replica for sale at 99 grand somewhere a little while ago.... lots of money for a hire but think of the fun
snopony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 12:07 PM   #12
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post

I mean, the "normal" Mad Max replica is the Falcon coupe...and sorry but there comes a time when something lesser known is more interesting than the far better known versions.
You see a Mad Max Falcon coupe somewhere? Hmm. Interesting, well worth a look. But there are, to be blunt, heaps of them around, even around the world.
But how many Pursuit and Interceptor 4 door XB sedans are there? Bugger all.
Same as the furor online about the Pedders "Mad Max tribute" prize car. It's a HQ Monaro, black, big block, with the "double decker" bonnet scoop. It also has the correct gold MFP emblems on the rear quarter. And holy hell you'd think they made a Mad Max replica out of a 120Y...the comments on the Facebook page are everything from pig ignorant to downright nasty. Things like "The cops never had a Holden in the film", and "Mad Maxs car was a Falcon", and "sacrilege" and other rubbish.
Presumably none of these people had ever seen the movie...or not taken much notice of exactly what the car was that the Night Rider had stolen in the opening chase scene...I call it "the forgotten Mad Max movie car", because I've never seen anyone do a replica of the police pursuit special that the Night Rider stole.
You're not wrong mate, I must of been one of the only few people who admired the Monaro that appeared in the opening chase scene of Mad Max. I do tend to agree about the whole XB thing too, everyone wants a coupe so you don't see many mint 4 door XB's going around lately. If it wasn't for my passion on late model FPV's I would go out and buy a genuine XB GT (4-doors baby!) and treat her the way she deserves to be treated..... I'm still young though (early 20's) so I still have time to decide, but I've made a promise to myself that I'll own at least one classic old-school Ford in my lifetime.

Old 14-05-2015, 01:09 PM   #13
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Google Gordon Hayes and Grant Hodgson (he's on FB). They got together in the late 90's in Perth and built quite a few MM repplicas and may have one still. Think Gordon went back to Melbourne with his own (first one he built) replica. Here's a pic of it getting a jump start from a Camry I was driving -

Both of them may point you in the direction of some replica owners.
Out of interest, Grant also owned an XB GT sedan with an interesting history, painted as the Rockatansky XB traceable back to the 80's in that guise and seemingly done by a cameraman from MM1.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 01:12 PM   #14
Terror_Tree
SZ II TS Territory-Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane;53****1
There's also a member from Townsville that has one.
I have seen that one a few times, looks pretty good

FWD is the Devils work
Terror_Tree is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 01:13 PM   #15
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by WHYME View Post
You're not wrong mate, I must of been one of the only few people who admired the Monaro that appeared in the opening chase scene of Mad Max.
Add me to that list.

At the time I also liked the Ute with the big wing shown when Goose walked out of the Servo, I remember seeing it in a copy of Street Machine or a similar mag back in the day.

Max’s Panel Van was cool but I would have preferred it with the round headlights and not the square.

I enjoyed the first movie as much for car spotting as I did for the story.

The lack of easily identifiable cars in the post apocalyptic sequels is the reason I’ve never enjoyed the subsequent movies anywhere near as much as the original.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2015, 02:18 PM   #16
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Express View Post
Add me to that list.

At the time I also liked the Ute with the big wing shown when Goose walked out of the Servo, I remember seeing it in a copy of Street Machine or a similar mag back in the day.

Max’s Panel Van was cool but I would have preferred it with the round headlights and not the square.

I enjoyed the first movie as much for car spotting as I did for the story.

The lack of easily identifiable cars in the post apocalyptic sequels is the reason I’ve never enjoyed the subsequent movies anywhere near as much as the original.
I can hug you right now mate haha, finally someone that agrees with me. Every time I talk Mad Max with someone and I mention that I enjoyed the first film the most out of all of em' they look at me strangely. Most say it was too tame, and that they preferred the action of the second one but I couldn't disagree more. I think after the first film the next two Mad Max movies went downhill, but it's really positive to see the latest instalment get such positive reviews. Can't wait to watch it!

Old 14-05-2015, 03:54 PM   #17
Streets
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I want to do a March Hare/Big Bopper/Max's Yellow XB replica (whichever car I could get my hands on first) but there are only two kinds of XA/XB/XC getting around these days: ones that are rusted into the ground, and ones that are too nice in their current state to be converted into a replica. Also I'm poor.
Streets is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 08:12 PM   #18
Iggle Piggle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The one with the big blown engine mounted in the tray? Called something like Blowback or Bloback?
Iggle Piggle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2015, 09:27 PM   #19
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just a bit of trivia on the Monaro (the Nightriders ride).

The Monaro was an MFP Special Fuel Injected V8 that runs on Methanol and the Nightrider stole it when he broke out of prison.
He was heading for the border to cross over into a different state where he wouldn't be arrested.
The Monaro was much faster than Max's MFP XB Pursuit special and the other Pursuit MFP cars were really struggling to stay with the Nightrider, that's why one of them was blowing so much smoke(the engine was about to blow) and the Nightrider was toying with them.
A lot of the above you can pick up in the movie.

So how did Max catch up to the Monaro so easily when the Monaro was so much faster???

When the first interception happens and the MFP XB spins off into the sign post , ripping the bonnet off, one of the officers (Bronze) gets off a shot from his shotgun but apparently missed the Nightrider.
Not so!
A few pellets from the shotgun pieced the engine bay of Nightriders Monaro and damaged the fuel injection affecting the performance of the Monaro.
How do I know this?
Because many years ago I read the book.
There's also a lot of other detail in the book which the movie doesn't go into.
Although it's a pretty light read it is a must for any Mad Max fan.
The books come up occasionally on eBay and I've been meaning to grab another copy as its a good read.

And Yeah.... I'd love to see a MFP Monaro replica 😃
Tex Scrotum is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 14-05-2015, 09:46 PM   #20
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
The one with the big blown engine mounted in the tray? Called something like Blowback or Bloback?

I can’t remember the blown engine in the tray but its been many a year since I bought that copy of Street Machine.

Quote:
This customised HJ Ute, built by John Zeigler, is seen in the opening of Mad Max parked outside Fat Nancy's. The customisations include a Caprice nose with S Class Mercedes Benz headlights, and a prototype GMH spoiler which never made it into production. More information can be found in the July-August 1986 issue of Street Machine.

http://www.madmaxmovies.com/mad-max/...ute/index.html

It's a dated look these days.
Old 14-05-2015, 09:53 PM   #21
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex Scrotum View Post

You have a great memory.

I also read the book as I did with a lot of the big movies back in those days.

Back than living out in the bush with no local cinema meant you had to wait years for a movie to be released on VHS to watch it.
Old 14-05-2015, 10:05 PM   #22
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mad Max Replicas

Quote:
You have a great memory.

I also read the book as I did with a lot of the big movies back in those days.

Back than living out in the bush with no local cinema meant you had to wait years for a movie to be released on VHS to watch it.

Lol, I've got a brain like a sieve but sometimes important stuff like Mad Max trivia sticks in there.
I recon it's been almost 30 years since I read that book.
The other thing I remember was that Max was the last Bronze before the border and he was MFPs best Pursuit officer.

Need to buy another copy of that book!
Old 15-05-2015, 11:55 AM   #23
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee I recall reading the book but details are sketchy.
One thing that I remember was the name of their little boy was Sprog (and that in the film that was the dogs name....or was that the other way around?!)

I imagine I was one of only a few who bothered to read Beyond Thunderdome when it came out. I remember it because my mum bought it for me to read when I had a hospital stay. I was fairly young and was stoked to see what she had brought in for me...
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #24
Harrison

http://www.streetmachine.com.au/feat...now-blo-bak-2/
Harrison is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2015, 06:04 PM   #25
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

The Monaro was an MFP Special Fuel Injected V8 that runs on Methanol and the Nightrider stole it when he broke out of prison.
He was heading for the border to cross over into a different state where he wouldn't be arrested.
The Monaro was much faster than Max's MFP XB Pursuit special and the other Pursuit MFP cars were really struggling to stay with the Nightrider, that's why one of them was blowing so much smoke(the engine was about to blow) and the Nightrider was toying with them.
A lot of the above you can pick up in the movie.

So how did Max catch up to the Monaro so easily when the Monaro was so much faster???

When the first interception happens and the MFP XB spins off into the sign post , ripping the bonnet off, one of the officers (Bronze) gets off a shot from his shotgun but apparently missed the Nightrider.
Not so!
A few pellets from the shotgun pieced the engine bay of Nightriders Monaro and damaged the fuel injection affecting the performance of the Monaro.
How do I know this?
There's also a lot of other detail in the book which the movie doesn't go into.
Although it's a pretty light read it is a must for any Mad Max fan.
The books come up occasionally on eBay and I've been meaning to grab another copy as its a good read.

And Yeah.... I'd love to see a MFP Monaro replica 😃
I read the book many years ago too, might still have it somewhere!

The XA in the movie was an ex taxi with a shagged 6 pot which is why it was blowing smoke, it was also a late addition.
The XB 302 (an ex police pursuit car) was apparently the fastest of the lot, including the 351 yellow Rockatansky car.

This is what happened to the XA/XB 302 -

Anyone know what happened to the Rokatansky one?
Many years ago, I spoke to Ray Beckerley who was involved with the cars, he had the compliance plate in his work safe and his office (he owned a trucking company) was broken into and the safe/plate stolen.

If memory serves, I thought the Munro in reality was a basic 6 potter too, certainly didn't have a real dual exhaust.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2015, 07:45 PM   #26
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggle Piggle View Post
Apart from similar styling behind the B pillar this car has absolutely nothing to do with Mad Max.

The ute in the original Mad Max movie was the John Zeigler ute shown above.

Last edited by Raptor; 15-05-2015 at 08:41 PM.
Raptor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2015, 08:16 PM   #27
Tex Scrotum
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kieron View Post
I read the book many years ago too, might still have it somewhere!

The XA in the movie was an ex taxi with a shagged 6 pot which is why it was blowing smoke, it was also a late addition.

The XB 302 (an ex police pursuit car) was apparently the fastest of the lot, including the 351 yellow Rockatansky car.

This is what happened to the XA/XB 302 -

Anyone know what happened to the Rokatansky one?

Many years ago, I spoke to Ray Beckerley who was involved with the cars, he had the compliance plate in his work safe and his office (he owned a trucking company) was broken into and the safe/plate stolen.

If memory serves, I thought the Munro in reality was a basic 6 potter too, certainly didn't have a real dual exhaust.

I think you've not understood what I was trying to say.
I wasn't talking about which car was fastest in real life but which car was the fastest in the book 😉
And yes I agree with you on the Monaro probably being a six if it was the one they crashed because you can just make out the engine when the car is lying on its side after the Nightrider crashed it.

Lol this thread should be called the "Mad Max Trainspotters club"
All good though, it's one of my favourite movies 😍
Old 15-05-2015, 10:24 PM   #28
neptune blue
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

[QUOTE=Express;5395946]I can’t remember the blown engine in the tray but its been many a year since I bought that copy of Street Machine.

It's a dated look these days
............ignor post
neptune blue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #29
WHYME
Next up?

Quote:
Mods, you heard the gentleman. Please change the title of this thread...

2 users like this post:
Old 16-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #30
Tommie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think you've not understood what I was trying to say.
I wasn't talking about which car was fastest in real life but which car was the fastest in the book ��
And yes I agree with you on the Monaro probably being a six if it was the one they crashed because you can just make out the engine when the car is lying on its side after the Nightrider crashed it.

All good though, it's one of my favourite movies ��
Years ago I read an article in some car mag that claimed when the Monaro was wrecked in the film it actually didn't have an engine anymore. I though yeah right at the time....but when you watch the movie I remember the front of the car sitting real high and you could see daylight between the front wheels for a split second ... so maybe..?

We need a Mad Max Trainspotter thread. Fully supported..
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post: