Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 19-07-2005, 02:52 PM   #1
Chris
AFF.com.au

Default Rubber in the guards........

anyone got any remedy's, fix its that will remove rubber out of the guards without taking paint off?

SLY LS1 has told me a "hot" car wash high pressure will get most of it, but does anyone know how to get it out of all the nooks and crannys?

lastly, is there anything like a teflon spray that can be applied to areas to make the job easier? (something that wont go on the tyres??)

Chris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:19 PM   #2
EA2BA
PM me if you want

I thougth alot of burn out people masking tape the guards on the outside paint side to avoid the rubber sticking.

Send me a PM if you want to know anything

2010 Ford Ranger PK High Rider (Auto) - 2011 Ford Fiesta (Auto)
EA2BA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:30 PM   #3
ORSMF6
ORSM Ford Cruisers

I use silicone spray like they use on tyres at detailers in my guards for my dirt bike to stop big build up for mud as it doesnt really stick to it .. and when cleaning the bike it comes up clean very easy ...
it might be worth a try ..

or what about trying contact like what ya use for books .. but i would say ya need to have a clean area to start with ..

Orsm Ford Cruisers
ORSMF6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:52 PM   #4
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theo F6
I use silicone spray
Thats what Sash used to spray in around Rods pursuit guards after he washed it before the drags.
anything that stuck hard he used a tar spot remover.
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:53 PM   #5
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris
anyone got any remedy's, fix its that will remove rubber out of the guards without taking paint off?

SLY LS1 has told me a "hot" car wash high pressure will get most of it, but does anyone know how to get it out of all the nooks and crannys?

lastly, is there anything like a teflon spray that can be applied to areas to make the job easier? (something that wont go on the tyres??)
The nooks and crannys is a hard one, I use girney high pressure hose but at car lovers ends up costing $15+ and you dont end up getting it all anyway. Up on a four post hoist would be the ultimate with girney but I cant seem to fit one of them in my granny flat lol.
Spoke to a few LS1 guys at the drags the only good comment was with ( straight after you wash the car) put a fine bit of vasoline on a rag wipe it on you plastic gard and around you side scirts then wipe and excess off with a clean rag.
Would anyone know if vasoline woud cause any harm to you paint ie possible respray paint reaction, I know panelbeaters/spraypainters dont like silicon base products. I wouldnt think vaso would cause any harm.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 03:56 PM   #6
Chris
AFF.com.au

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFPV8
Thats what Sash used to spray in around Rods pursuit guards after he washed it before the drags.
anything that stuck hard he used a tar spot remover.
does it remove polish mark?
Old 19-07-2005, 05:25 PM   #7
SpoolMan
Solution Was Boost 4?, 6 & 8

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF events and sponsorship. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Everything you do to help this place run smoothly! Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The awesome Technical and Service how to's in the FPV /XR6 /G6ET turbo threads..  and his own build threads that inspire people to have a go... enabling people to save money and realise the dream of working on their own cars as well. 

Quote:
does it remove polish mark?
Silicone spray may not remove polish, good chance the tar spot remover does.
wait till you see you much rubber ends up near your fuel filler, it goes everywhere, i think the best thing is to take the tub liner out now and then clean it up properly..i used to put mine on a hoist every Saturday spend an hour cleaning..

AUTOTECH TUNED EDELEBROCK CHARGED
2017 GT Mustang Plenty of RWKW
SpoolMan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 07:14 PM   #8
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

Quote:

Chris the best remedy is clean it every time you venture out.I suppose with you guys though that wouldn't leave much time for anything else. :
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 07:50 PM   #9
347Stroker
Banned

I use the silicon tyre paint mechanics use, its a yellowish liquid that you just paint on with a brush, on the paint, everywhere, and it doesnt mark a thing, and how easy does the rubber come off......
347Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 08:51 PM   #10
PhantomXR8
Now a FG XR8 in Nitro

Talking

Quote:

Yeh, stay away from the strip for about 3 months.
Old 19-07-2005, 10:34 PM   #11
GT-P 738
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Mines painted black inside the gaurds,prolly the same as yours and i just get in there witha small hard brush and compressed air to get it out of the little nooks etc,works for me seeing as its back at ford every month or so.

"Hate it or love,the underdogs on top"
GT-P 738 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2005, 10:41 PM   #12
Chris
AFF.com.au

the compressed air is a great idea - Ive used it once before. The only thing that stresses me out about silicone spray is if it gets on the tyres, or if it
"drys".

Ive been using mickey thompson ET street radial tyres, and the start of the tyres were ok, now they are nearly bald and the rubber seems to be so much stickier once the tread is down. Its like a different compound altogether.

Think i need to give the car the once over underneath with solvent and compressed air, maybe the gurney to get the "hard to see" stuff, and perhaps put some sort of teflon/silicone spray on afterwards.
Old 19-07-2005, 11:57 PM   #13
GRNKPR
DPC PERFORMANCE Race prep

we used windex ,yes windex on Pj s xd and didnt affect the paint at all and as you know he was partial to a little skid at the drags!!!!!!!!!!!!!wasnt he ?????????

FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria

Ford Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car ClubFord Performance Car Club
GRNKPR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-07-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
SLY XR8
Who's your Daddy now

Don't do burn outs, that will help Not getting Rubber in there!!!!!!!!