Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 01-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #1
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Default Re: Ambitious China

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post

In hindsight I still find Scomo comment was justifiable and correct, not speaking up to China means we are weak in their eyes.
Why is that;

a) Important
b) Correct

I get what you are saying, but if we all over reacted to every little quip or photoshop the world would be in more of a mess than it is currently.

Yes we should have said something, but why the PM?

They are baiting us, christ AFAIK the general public in China get a filtered (if anything) Twitter...so why use a platform that their people dont even see. Thats were I struggle with the "weak in their eyes" comments. let them believe their own spin, they are the ones going to look like muppets.

They are juvenile when it comes to international politics, we should be making them look like amateur's.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 02:02 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

That’s one thing I saw, the imbalance of response. It’s shown the PM as susceptible to trolling.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
Why is that;

a) Important
b) Correct

I get what you are saying, but if we all over reacted to every little quip or photoshop the world would be in more of a mess than it is currently.

Yes we should have said something, but why the PM?

They are baiting us, christ AFAIK the general public in China get a filtered (if anything) Twitter...so why use a platform that their people dont even see. Thats were I struggle with the "weak in their eyes" comments. let them believe their own spin, they are the ones going to look like muppets.

They are juvenile when it comes to international politics, we should be making them look like amateur's.
Because half the world will think that was an unaltered photo. We just say "we will go through our processes blah blah blah " then we are not correcting the record. I am happy standing up to them. Go through a long long night to a better day.

It will hurt, but we have got ourselves into a position with them. The only way out is to not capitulate to them. Just smash them back with their Wolf Warrior diplomacy, anyone thinking you can have a level conversation with them has rocks in their head.

tweeked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 02:59 PM   #4
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Because half the world will think that was an unaltered photo. We just say "we will go through our processes blah blah blah " then we are not correcting the record. I am happy standing up to them. Go through a long long night to a better day.

It will hurt, but we have got ourselves into a position with them. The only way out is to not capitulate to them. Just smash them back with their Wolf Warrior diplomacy, anyone thinking you can have a level conversation with them has rocks in their head.
You fight fire with fire and you end up burnt, we are the ones that are going to come off bruised not them. We are not at war per se, but this kind of crap actually starts them!

At the end of the day some chump did a PS, it was completely out of line but our reaction was over the top. Its the grandstanding the PM is doing on a raft of things that is inflaming the situation, we just need to be a bit smarter.

That doesnt mean you double down, or that you are "weak", it means you are level headed and calculated.

Anyone can throw insults, now the PM looks like a monkey because as if China will say sorry.

I am all for getting even, but doing it publicly is ugly and childish. Call it out fine, but do it tactfully because even if you shout they are not going to listen so you only diminish yourself.

Actions...not words.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #5
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
You fight fire with fire and you end up burnt, we are the ones that are going to come off bruised not them. We are not at war per se, but this kind of crap actually starts them!

At the end of the day some chump did a PS, it was completely out of line but our reaction was over the top. Its the grandstanding the PM is doing on a raft of things that is inflaming the situation, we just need to be a bit smarter.

That doesnt mean you double down, or that you are "weak", it means you are level headed and calculated.

Anyone can throw insults, now the PM looks like a monkey because as if China will say sorry.

I am all for getting even, but doing it publicly is ugly and childish. Call it out fine, but do it tactfully because even if you shout they are not going to listen so you only diminish yourself.

Actions...not words.
China does not have to say sorry and most likely it won't and it is about time people and business in our country should realise who they are trading with and look elsewhere.
China's belt & road initiative should be a reminder to all of us in what we dealing with.
I still stand with what Scomo response which I think is warranted contrary to yours and others beliefs.
China has become very aggressive when they don't get their way.
Sometimes you have to be blunt in responding.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 04:44 PM   #6
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Bullying 101. Keep pressing someone's buttons until you get the reaction you are after. The thing is, when you don't give bullies what they want, it actually eats them alive. That is not to say give in, bend over and not respond, just don't give them the reaction they are after. Anyway, whats done is done and we now need to manage it. I would have liked to see more of our close allies coming out publicly with voice of support.

Don't underestimate the significance of Russia weighing in. We are now the target of propaganda from two very powerful foreign entities. What is Russia's beef with us anyway?

Importantly, whilst we disagree on methods and don't see eye to eye on some subjects, we need to stick together. Otherwise its divide and conquer. Not a fan of Alan Tudge but I thought he has at least done the right thing today. Anti CCP can very quickly turn into anti chinese. Yesterday all muslims were terrorists, tomorrow all chinese are agents. hmmmmm
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 04:51 PM   #7
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Bullying 101. Keep pressing someone's buttons until you get the reaction you are after. The thing is, when you don't give bullies what they want, it actually eats them alive. That is not to say give in, bend over and not respond, just don't give them the reaction they are after. Anyway, whats done is done and we now need to manage it. I would have liked to see more of our close allies coming out publicly with voice of support.

Don't underestimate the significance of Russia weighing in. We are now the target of propaganda from two very powerful foreign entities. What is Russia's beef with us anyway?

Importantly, whilst we disagree on methods and don't see eye to eye on some subjects, we need to stick together. Otherwise its divide and conquer. Not a fan of Alan Tudge but I thought he has at least done the right thing today. Anti CCP can very quickly turn into anti chinese. Yesterday all muslims were terrorists, tomorrow all chinese are agents. hmmmmm
Russia, pffft. They have the GDP of Phillip Island but try to punch like they are the USA.... Forget them.

Losers.
FairmontGS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Lets see if we can have a made in China free Christmas.

Maybe stop and think about what we buy as gifts, groceries and hardware.
Yeah Yeah, I know its hard, I hear all the excuses, read the bl**dy labels and boycott their crap.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 01-12-2020, 05:01 PM   #9
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Lets see if we can have a made in China free Christmas.

Maybe stop and think about what we buy as gifts, groceries and hardware.
Yeah Yeah, I know its hard, I hear all the excuses, read the bl**dy labels and boycott their crap.
Not so difficult to do with food, but goods it would almost be impossible. Even stuff made in Australia has the materials supplied from China. People argue about not buying Chinese made cars, but even our beloved Holden and Aus Ford vehicles still had a lot of Chinese product in them.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-12-2020, 08:33 PM   #10
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:

Actions...not words.
Quote:
‘So challenging’: Why an Aussie boycott of Chinese products is doomed to fail

Tensions between Australia and China boiled over this week. But there’s a glaring reason why a push to hit the nation where it hurts is doomed to fail.

Alexis Carey DECEMBER 1, 2020

Australia’s relationship with China has plummeted to a new low, and the latest war of words has sparked a predictable call for shoppers to fight back by boycotting Chinese goods.

Outrage over China’s “repugnant” doctored soldier photo continues to grow, with leaders and everyday Aussies alike condemning the sick attack.

The photo scandal coupled with China’s escalating trade war with Australia has prompted One Nation’s Pauline Hanson to push for a boycott of Chinese products this Christmas – an idea that is already attracting a great deal of support.

But there’s a glaring reason why the plan is not only doomed to fail, but also harmful to Australia’s own interests.

ONLY HURTING OURSELVES

China is Australia’s most important partner when it comes to imports, with Aussies snapping up a staggering $71.3 billion worth of goods and services from China in 2017/18 – the equivalent of 18 per cent of Australia’s total imports.

Some of the most common imported items include telecom equipment and parts, computers, furniture, mattresses and cushions and prams, toys, games and sporting goods – meaning we are well and truly reliant on China to provide the stuff we need.

It is also estimated that a total trade war with China would cost Australia 6 per cent of GDP, according to a recent piece in The Conversation by University of Western Australia Winthrop professor of economics Rod Tyers and Australian National University senior lecturer in economics Yixiao Zhou.

IMPOSSIBLE TASK

Meanwhile, Queensland University of Technology retail expert Gary Mortimer told news.com.au the sheer proportion of Chinese-made products in Australia across just about every category meant a boycott would be an almost impossible task.

“Calling for boycotts of Chinese-made products may seem like a reasonable and balanced approach. In practical terms it is incredibly difficult,” Dr Mortimer said.

“One would only need to wander through any Australian discount department store to realise the proportion of products imported from China.”

Dr Mortimer said there was a particularly high proportion of Chinese-made apparel, home furnishings, furniture and consumer electronics in Australia, but pointed out that even items made from Australian materials were often manufactured elsewhere.

“You will often find that even better-quality apparel like men’s suits might be made with Australian merino wool but be manufactured in China and then shipped back,” he said.

“Even products produced in places like South Korea, India and Bangladesh may contain elements or parts produced in China.

“The problem is consumers are so dependent on Chinese-made goods that calls to boycott them will fall on deaf ears as it is so challenging to do so.”

Dr Mortimer also pointed out that if we were to stop all Chinese imports, it would have a “devastating impact” on our GDP and said trade was a “two-way street” that benefited both nations.
https://www.news.com.au/finance/busi...e0caffa7724dac

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post