Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 10-11-2023, 11:44 AM   #31
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Default Re: Brazen thefts now occuring in Australia

what's a "BAZEN" ? is it small light and easy to hide?.

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2023, 11:51 AM   #32
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Bazen thefts now occuring in Australia

Western Wagon wheels are way smaller than they used to be! Whizz Fizz is not as fizzy as it once was! You can not buy a decent Sunny Boy anywhere! The whole world is going to hell in a hand basket!

FYI crime stats are down compared to the good old days.....

Not directed at you CB, just the general tone of yet another thread by grumpy old white men.

Last edited by Work Horse; 10-11-2023 at 11:58 AM.
Work Horse is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2023, 12:33 PM   #33
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Western Wagon wheels are way smaller than they used to be! Whizz Fizz is not as fizzy as it once was! You can not buy a decent Sunny Boy anywhere! The whole world is going to hell in a hand basket!

FYI crime stats are down compared to the good old days....

Not directed at you CB, just the general tone of yet another thread by grumpy old white men.
You know what they say about statistics...

And about the vigilante justice, there are increasing numbers of "community justice" happening, you won't hear about it for fear of escalation and reprisal against the community.
More police? Maybe. Tougher sentences? That's all talk.
A serious community action campaign to help motivate our honourable members to poke and prod the judiciary into action with publicized results about offenders and punishment/corrections handed out.

Failing that then it's back to the mob.
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 10-11-2023, 01:14 PM   #34
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Its about to go down even more. Can you believe the draconian gov of Vic has decriminalised public drunkeness??!!?

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 10-11-2023, 03:08 PM   #35
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Its about to go down even more. Can you believe the draconian gov of Vic has decriminalised public drunkeness??!!?
It'll get even better if/when weed gets decriminalised!
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 11-11-2023, 05:01 PM   #36
Trendseeker

Quote:

The discussion isn’t about smaller portions or the availability of old fashioned ice blocks or general crime statistics. It is about retail theft, and the rate is increasing, and the mob I’m quoting below are not grumpy old white men.

“Shoplifting has re-entered the spotlight, as thefts occurring at retail locations have increased for a second straight year – up 17% between 2021 and 2022. Moreover, newly-appointed Coles CEO Leah Weckert recently reported a 20% increase in stock loss (that is, theft and food wastage) in 2023 compared to last year.”

https://lens.monash.edu/@business-ec...%20last%20year.
Old 14-11-2023, 02:28 PM   #37
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quite an impressive service station drive-off theft yesterday in south-western Sydney. Even if it went pear-shaped thereafter. Driver is being lambasted on NSW Police’s page.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2023, 02:34 PM   #38
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Had to pick you up on this one.
They were "Westons" Wagon wheels.
Unfortunately now owned by Arnott's and probably why they are now smaller.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-11-2023, 11:36 PM   #39
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Had to pick you up on this one.
They were "Westons" Wagon wheels.
Unfortunately now owned by Arnott's and probably why they are now smaller.
I stand corrected on the spelling, but the size has not changed. It's just your hands are bigger than when you were a kid rW! Especially flinging rocks around all day!😆

"There have been many debates amongst fans of the biscuit about its size. Wagon Wheels have supposedly shrunk in size over time, but Burton's Foods Ltd has denied this.[7] It has been suggested that the supposed shrinkage is due to an adult's childhood memory of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand; this argument is perhaps moot, as it does not explain why the modern Wagon Wheel appears to be fatter than the original. Furthermore, in Australia, Arnott's has stated that tray packs of Wagon Wheels were in fact 'Mini Wagon Wheels' and have re-released the original 48g Wagon Wheels.[8]"
Old 15-11-2023, 09:53 AM   #40
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
I stand corrected on the spelling, but the size has not changed. It's just your hands are bigger than when you were a kid rW! Especially flinging rocks around all day!😆

"There have been many debates amongst fans of the biscuit about its size. Wagon Wheels have supposedly shrunk in size over time, but Burton's Foods Ltd has denied this.[7] It has been suggested that the supposed shrinkage is due to an adult's childhood memory of eating a Wagon Wheel held in a much smaller hand; this argument is perhaps moot, as it does not explain why the modern Wagon Wheel appears to be fatter than the original. Furthermore, in Australia, Arnott's has stated that tray packs of Wagon Wheels were in fact 'Mini Wagon Wheels' and have re-released the original 48g Wagon Wheels.[8]"
As long as there has been no theft of Aussie Wagon wheels, I'm good.

This user likes this post:
Old 15-11-2023, 03:23 PM   #41
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I dont believe that...wagon wheels used to be larger diameter no doubt. According to them my adult hands should not fit through my sleeves
ford71V8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2023, 06:36 PM   #42
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
I dont believe that...wagon wheels used to be larger diameter no doubt. According to them my adult hands should not fit through my sleeves
We really need to get to the bottom of this!

I have been trawling through early photos of myself hoping to find a picture of me inadvertently holding a Weston Wagon Wheel.

Nothing yet but if I do find such a photo I can take a photo of myself holding a modern Weston Wagon Wheel and compare.

I have found a site on line that can compare two such photos down to the micro-millimetre.

For a few hundred bucks I think its money well spent.
Old 15-11-2023, 06:44 PM   #43
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
My dearest had a trolley of groceries stolen a few years ago, she’d wheeled it from the cashier after paying and left it in the doorway of the adjacent bottle-o (Coles Liquor) whilst ducking in for some mood adjuster. Gone in 90 seconds!

Immediately she rushed back to the store manager, wanting them to secure the CCTV footage for police. Manager was more sanguine - you’ve got your receipt, just put the same stuff in another trolley and we’ll wear the first one as store theft.
Sensible tactic.
Just locked customer in forever.
V smart.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-11-2023, 08:19 PM   #44
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
We really need to get to the bottom of this!

I have been trawling through early photos of myself hoping to find a picture of me inadvertently holding a Weston Wagon Wheel.

Nothing yet but if I do find such a photo I can take a photo of myself holding a modern Weston Wagon Wheel and compare.

I have found a site on line that can compare two such photos down to the micro-millimetre.

For a few hundred bucks I think its money well spent.
Money and time well spent, outrageous statement from Burtons, they must be held accountable....childhood memories, I know when things get smaller....wait...
3 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2023, 09:57 PM   #45
Trendseeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ford71V8 View Post
Money and time well spent, outrageous statement from Burtons, they must be held accountable....childhood memories, I know when things get smaller....wait...
Your memory may be fine, although there were apparently differences in the biscuits in the three countries in which they were produced.

“Are Wagon Wheels smaller and how big did they used to be?

The shrinking Wagon Wheel question has long been discussed, and was in fact dismissed by this official statement from Burton’s biscuit company, who declared: “Contrary to popular belief, Wagon Wheels have not actually got smaller, most often our first Wagon Wheel experience is in childhood and hence our hands are much smaller.” We were determined to find out the truth where others have failed, and after much investigation we uncovered some findings that might make the Burton’s spokesperson blush.

Depending on your age (I’m not asking!) you might remember the Wagon Wheels of the 80s or before. Sometime during the 80s they saw their first reduction from a 79mm width to a 74mm width. Following this, they shrunk again sometime between their 2006 weight of 41g and today’s weight of 36g. Again this is no small change, a 12% decrease is something you’d be sure to notice.”

https://www.appliancecity.co.uk/news...ght%20of%2036g.

According to another site, “ The Australian biscuit is packing an impressive diameter of 88mm, thats a whole 14mm bigger than the UK version. However the plucky Brit comes right back at its foreign cousin with a depth of approximately 15mm compared to 11mm.”

Last edited by Trendseeker; 15-11-2023 at 10:06 PM.
Trendseeker is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2023, 10:09 PM   #46
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Yes, I remember we measured them at school for some reason - maybe basics of geometry (measuring diameter) - 8cm.

Probably one of those year’s end thingies where the teacher was basically giving us all a present!

Last edited by Citroënbender; 15-11-2023 at 10:36 PM. Reason: Absolutely terrible syntax!
2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2023, 10:32 PM   #47
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Iv'e just found a very clear photo of myself as a young person!

Unfortunately I am not holding a Weston Wagon Wheel.

I can confirm my hands were much smaller back then than they are now...
Old 15-11-2023, 11:46 PM   #48
ford71V8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great investigating by everyone.
Wagon Wheels for all!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2023, 09:24 AM   #49
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great - now stuck in my head is a snail with French accent saying: "Wagon Wheel...eat la Wagon Wheel!"
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2023, 09:46 AM   #50
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Remember the pickled herrings ad, too?
2 users like this post:
Old 16-11-2023, 10:22 AM   #51
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
Great - now stuck in my head is a snail with French accent saying: "Wagon Wheel...eat la Wagon Wheel!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender

mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2023, 09:25 AM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
No, but I do recall plankers nubs being berry nadicious, and something about a ninja's tea party being over....
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2023, 10:27 AM   #53
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-11-...ries/103108392

One is a local. 38 year old. His name will come out............
Old 17-11-2023, 11:28 AM   #54
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Angry Re: Brazen thefts now occuring in Australia

as an owner of a business in Adelaide, this stuff happens all day long. you need to set up your retail outlet and arm your staff in a way to MINIMISE theft but you CANNOT avoid it. if your staff are inattentive thats half the problem....when a serious incident occurs i can assure you there is nothing more frustrating when a police officer arrives, after you have rung them, and asks "did you give the person permission to leave your premises without paying" then you do all the work provide all the camera footage and generally end up with no resolution. the minute we see the slight of hand movement and confirm it on video i will confront the person and let them know that they can empty their pockets into this basket then combine sex with travel. it works 90% of the time. if you do the "they must leave the premises before you ask them to come back in" thing you need to be Usain Bolt. some businesses like the local alcohol shop will be targeted more than others but ive used drive throughs, its stupidly easy to steal if youre that way inclined. Rant over
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2023, 12:08 PM   #55
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
its stupidly easy to steal if youre that way inclined. Rant over
police/court inaction is a major problem. police's attitude to theft is increasingly 'you have insurance, what do you want from us'.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-11-2023, 12:09 PM   #56
tbro4123

Daughter is a manager of a multi-site retail outlet in one complex and their company rule is don't bother doing a police report unless its over a thousand dollars,
to say that pi**es of my daughter is putting it mildly so she make sure her staff does fill out a report and she keeps it on hand.
Surprising how many times the police ask if a caught person has ever done it before and lo and behold its all there in writing.

It actually took me a lot to persuade her NOT to chase the little darlings who will in all probability will be armed.
One who was caught had a knife so she doesn't chase them anymore but fumes big time and uses very unladylike language when she's describing the thieving little bastards.
tbro4123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2023, 12:21 PM   #57
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post
Daughter is a manager of a multi-site retail outlet in one complex and their company rule is don't bother doing a police report unless its over a thousand dollars,
to say that pi**es of my daughter is putting it mildly so she make sure her staff does fill out a report and she keeps it on hand.
Surprising how many times the police ask if a caught person has ever done it before and lo and behold its all there in writing.

It actually took me a lot to persuade her NOT to chase the little darlings who will in all probability will be armed.
One who was caught had a knife so she doesn't chase them anymore but fumes big time and uses very unladylike language when she's describing the thieving little bastards.
And shops wonder why there's thefts.
Old 17-11-2023, 12:40 PM   #58
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Wink Re: Brazen thefts now occuring in Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbro4123 View Post

this is the exact reason WHY online businesses exist. no theft no interaction lower overheads. covid and the subsequent lockdowns made on line business become the norm even quicker than it would of
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-11-2023, 02:14 PM   #59
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Not to be sinister or dark in any form, but I tend to read the ASIC published notices every day to keep an eye on types of businesses restructuring, winding up, going into administration or liquidation. Let me tell you, there is quite a number of new businesses officially closing doors on that list. As to the type of businesses, it is those in the construction/engineering sectors that Im interested the most, but I see a lot of retail small shops around the country making it official. Now as to what is causing this can be under a spectrum of reasons, but the combination of thefts, commercial rents, high overheads and poor support from authorities when a crime is committed, Im guessing could all be contributing factors.

Doing a dot com business or one you can do from home will always have more benefits to a bricks and mortar shop. But with the recent increases in juvenile crimes you have to wonder, for how long will the honeymoon continue.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-11-2023, 08:35 AM   #60
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoesgift View Post
this is the exact reason WHY online businesses exist. no theft no interaction lower overheads. covid and the subsequent lockdowns made on line business become the norm even quicker than it would of
Well apart from cyber crime which will be the new norm.
just ask Optus, oh wait that was an upgrade.