Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-12-2023, 11:19 PM   #1
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default prefer the original

I was only 19

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2023-12-...s-on/103199898
Old 08-12-2023, 08:12 AM   #2
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: prefer the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonz View Post
I actually like it, first three listens I didn’t. Once I understood the angle they were going for I appreciated it more.

I to prefer the original, but I also really like this version.
Old 08-12-2023, 09:11 AM   #3
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

I like it.

Sadly, a stark reminder of the impacts on the innocent from the conflicts that still bestow the world today.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2023, 09:43 AM   #4
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Nup, Hated it then, both are equally errr.

Almost on the same scale as Paul Kelly "To her Door". imo

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 09:46 AM   #5
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Not a fan to be honest.

Its meant to be a 1st hand recount which is lost in the first verse with the reference to 'him' and 'they' especially by a female and then contradicted when she joins in for the chorus and says 'can you tell me Doctor why I still cant get to sleep'.

Its like that bloke singing Tracy Chapmans Fast Car, its just doesnt have the same impact told by a man, especially one who 'works in the market as a checkout girl'.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 08-12-2023, 09:59 AM   #6
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
I actually like it, first three listens I didn’t. Once I understood the angle they were going for I appreciated it more.

I to prefer the original, but I also really like this version.
Same here, once you understand it from the perspective of those looking back on those times, you can appreciate this version.
Old 08-12-2023, 10:16 AM   #7
LG17
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

An interesting take on the song but it's one of those songs that it's original or nothing. John Schumann has the perfect voice and tone for it.
It's one of those songs that immediately bring the feelings out, particularly for those of us who were there and those of us whose lucky number didn't come out.
When the song was released in 1983 many still didn't recognise Vietnam Vets and what they went through. It was absolutely disgusting at the time. I believe the song did change the attitude of some, thank goodness. The Vets did not deserve to be treated the way they were.
It was powerfully written, powerfully performed and if it doesn't get you in the guts, well...
LG17 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2023, 11:39 AM   #8
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

While nothing beats the original, it is good if this song reaches a new audience.

RIP Peter Kowalski 8 Feb 1971

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Cav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-12-2023, 05:03 PM   #9
zoesgift
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Re: prefer the original

Quote:
Originally Posted by LG17 View Post
An interesting take on the song but it's one of those songs that it's original or nothing. John Schumann has the perfect voice and tone for it.
It's one of those songs that immediately bring the feelings out, particularly for those of us who were there and those of us whose lucky number didn't come out.
When the song was released in 1983 many still didn't recognise Vietnam Vets and what they went through. It was absolutely disgusting at the time. I believe the song did change the attitude of some, thank goodness. The Vets did not deserve to be treated the way they were.
It was powerfully written, powerfully performed and if it doesn't get you in the guts, well...
best thing ive read all day, couldnt agree more
zoesgift is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post