Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > MotorSport > Drag Racing

Drag Racing Discuss Drag Racing here be it dirt or tarmac. Sponsored by Sydney Dragway.

Old 20-08-2006, 02:55 PM   #1
STK-XR8

Default whats the best way to get started in drag racing

im interested in drag racing as a hobby iv already got a stock but stripped mk2 cortina coupe and a half built 460bb .
im wanting to know the best way to get started,
-regulations and rules
-build guide lines
-who is in charge of this currently- andra- cams
-what catergory would i be aiming for it wont be street registered (trailer queen unfortunalty)

and any advice from other people that are still involved in drag racing would be great.

im located in western suburbs of melb so mainly racing out at calder or heathcote.

ta den

STK-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 03:00 PM   #2
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2 CORTY
im interested in drag racing as a hobby iv already got a stock but stripped mk2 cortina coupe and a half built 460bb .
im wanting to know the best way to get started,
-regulations and rules
-build guide lines
-who is in charge of this currently- andra- cams
-what catergory would i be aiming for it wont be street registered (trailer queen unfortunalty)

and any advice from other people that are still involved in drag racing would be great.

im located in western suburbs of melb so mainly racing out at calder or heathcote.

ta den
Get to know your Bank manager...

How fast do ya wanna go???

vik...is how much your gunna spend : not that thers anything wrong with that
vik351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 03:20 PM   #3
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Check ANDRA's website, i'm sure you will find all the details you need to get started, if not there will be contacts no's to call someone.

Super sedan is probably a great class to get started in, as the rules are fairly simple, you basically just need a safe car, and to run quicker than a set time (11.99 possibly, it's been a while since I followed it)

You will be racing cars of varying times, but you get to dial in your own time you want to run against, so you do not need the quickest car to win, just need to be consistant. You can modify your car as you get the money and or then need to run quicker and still run in the same class.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 03:49 PM   #4
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Super Sedan is 10.99 and quicker. Contact ANDRA for a rule book it will tell you all specs for roll cages and other things you will need. Have got a few older rule books here you can have for the cost of postage as the regs havent changed too much. But if youre going to stick at it prob best to get the latest version which will be available in the next few weeks.
Old 20-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #5
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Super street (12.99- 11.00) would be a good starter, you will need provisional ANDRA licence plus comply with S/ST regulations (get complete rules and regulatios with licence). Any quicker get in touch with your bank manager as someone else said lol.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 12:49 AM   #6
STK-XR8

cool thanks for the info people .
should run somewhere around those times but as i progress hopefully get quicker .
bank manager is that the wife nah joking will be on a budget over sometime bit by bit hopefully do most of the work myself or through friends and relo's.

ta den
Old 21-08-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you think you're going to be serious about racing and stay with it for a while buy decent gear to start with.
Talk to people who win in your class.
CHANGE ONE THING AT A TIME.
Don't get half way through a testing program and then use someone else's ideas. Save their theories for another day.
Change one thing at a time.
If you invent a new theory and test it and it doesn't work, listen to the test results and invent a newer theory to suit the results.
Have fun.
Change one thing at a time.

It's a great sport that requires that requires a lot of technical work.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 07:38 PM   #8
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by northey
CHANGE ONE THING AT A TIME.
Very good tip northey, quiet easy to get lost playing around with to many things.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 06:59 PM   #9
STK-XR8

im hoping to stick with it for a while so i will be taking no shortcuts , and hopefully get a little more involved (quicker) as time goes by

a quick question big block c6 (already got) or 2 speed power glide .

thanks for your replys

ta den
Old 22-08-2006, 08:49 PM   #10
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

The C6 should be good for maybe 500hp motor, but will need to be built stronger to handle more power as you get it, but can be built to handle lots of power.

A bad point to the c6 is the weight and drag it creates.

A c4 can be built to handle lots of power these days but require more frequent maintenance.

A power glide will have to built strong to handle the power, but can be built stronger than the above autos but will cost a lot to make it stronger than the C series.

Send gregaust a pm, he knows his autos and big blocks for sure

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
ratter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 08:57 PM   #11
347_XR8
Slide Baby Slide

Get in touch with a bank mananger, hmmmm....gotta go see mine for simliar matters

Mr Super Skid-Man
347_XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2006, 09:12 PM   #12
northey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MK2 CORTY
a quick question big block c6 (already got) or 2 speed power glide .
ta den
That one should bring some answers.

I've never run a C6 in a drag car. BUT, I would run with the glide provided the car's not too heavy.
The glide weighs less than a C6 and uses less power to turn it. The torque and power put out by a decent big block coupled with the right engine/trans/diff combination should make up for the lack of the "1st" gear.

If you set up the car correctly with a good 4 link or ladder bar rear end (your choice) you'll have a lot of startline adjustment available to you to help with traction. If you don't really understand how the 4 link works use a ladder bar.

I preferred to use the Yank convertor manufacturers because they are more experienced. The more detail you can give about the car the closer they can spec a convertor to suit your car.

Firstly work out what you can afford to build and maintain/run. It's no use aiming at a 9000rpm engine if you can't put some valve springs into it every meeting or thereabouts.
When you decide what revs or elapsed times you can afford work out what convertor would best suit. Remember if you aim at a high stall speed the car will need a strong rear end; despite what some think a properly set up auto drag car launches very hard. The strong rear end costs money.

Keep cross referencing the information you are using to build your car. Talk with an engine builder and cam manufacturer and convertor builder about your choices and adjust them so you come up with the best option for them all. Car building is a compromise and whoever matches the gear the best wins.
northey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
STK-XR8

thanks northy for your in depth answers :

its to good to get some great info before i start dont wont to get half way through it and realize that should have done it this way.

contacted andra waiting for there reply .

been talking to a few friends and they recommened me to go have a chat to a local guy that use to or still does run a big block chev scorpian,fairly clue guy thats been in the game for a while .

ta den...
Old 24-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #14
jd dad
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you are going Big Block Ford go and chat to the Demay brothers, there would be very few who have spent as much time with BBF engines than them
Old 25-08-2006, 12:44 AM   #15
STK-XR8

yeah true demaj bros been around for long time loved that light blue mazda they have or had.