Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 22-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #1
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 
Default Wet Xmas for QLD

Looks like it is going to be a wet one alright.

Just a heads up, the state gov has issued a warning to all departments that there is an expectation of receiving 50-100 mm of rain per day for the next 5 days and widespread flooding is possible. Wivenhoe flood gates have been opened as it is at capacity due to the recent rain so this will not take up much of the load and the already wet ground will not hold that sort of rain fall well. I just checked BOM and there are multiple flood alerts including the Brisbane River area.

It might pay for the banana benders here to get ready for a very wet and soggy xmas.

Old 22-12-2010, 11:25 AM   #2
Spudz27
Call me Spud

I feel sorry for you guys over there. I know you get very stormy summers, but this just seems ridiculous. It is going to be a fine 23c here and yet only 400km away it will be 38c.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Yes everyone please be careful on the roads, especially those traveling to visit friends / family. Plan ahead and make sure you know whats going on. Cunninghams gap is a worry, anyone heading down south going the back way do yourself a favour and go thru Toowoomba. We have trucks runing up and down the cunningham and its still not fixed, 50 - 100 mm of rain will have it shut again.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

I tried cutting some grass last night with the ride on and it dissapeared. Be on the lookout for a Green John Deere with Holley stickers on the bonnet. Last seen in wet long grass..............
Old 22-12-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

At least I got the yard cut yesterday.
Old 22-12-2010, 11:48 AM   #6
Powdered Toast Man
Professional Mouse Jockey

The clouds have finally parted down here in Vic just in time for Christmas day. We did just have some snow in the last few days.

Gotta say this is the first time in a while I can I prefer living in Vic than Qld. Poor buggers are gonna be washed away soon.

Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana. Groucho Marx
Powdered Toast Man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #7
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

If the warnings are correct and rainfall to that magnitude does fall the flooding will be extensive. The 1974 Brisbane flood was a result of three weeks heavy rain and this year it could shape up fairly similar if the predictions are correct. I am just glad I live in Mount Cotton, although I might not be able to live my home as all the roads around us flood regularly.

Lets hope the predictions are incorrect but it may pay to prepare for the worst.
Old 22-12-2010, 12:24 PM   #8
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123
At least I got the yard cut yesterday.
Me too, thought I'd do the back yard after work but got carried away and did the whole lot "just in case". Glad I did.... wish I had of put the ute in the shed though, one heavy load of wet grass to take to the tip now :(

I might take any break in the weather to make sure the gutters and drains around my place are nice and clear.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 12:35 PM   #9
TUF270
BACK IN AN FG TURBO

up until a week ago i was driving the ute up to qld for my holidays. really glad i changed my mind and decided to fly. hopefully my entire holiday isnt ruined by the rain. or else i'll be wishing i stayed in vic for the first time ever lol...
TUF270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 12:55 PM   #10
Sam_Boss260
Have Boost, will use it..

Oh well... just spent all of yesterday and this morning polishing the XR8. Rain or no rain it has to be done, but maybe I should have cut the grass instead.

Great idea about the checking gutters... will do that today.
Sam_Boss260 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 01:06 PM   #11
351EL

240 mm of rain here last night.
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 01:50 PM   #12
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF270
up until a week ago i was driving the ute up to qld for my holidays. really glad i changed my mind and decided to fly. hopefully my entire holiday isnt ruined by the rain. or else i'll be wishing i stayed in vic for the first time ever lol...
Regardless of the rain, it's still nice up here ;) Last Christmas was pretty muggy and warm, this Christmas might be a little kinder to Southerners coming up.
Old 22-12-2010, 02:26 PM   #13
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

Make sure to stock up on grog guys if you get flooded in.

Flood party!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 02:38 PM   #14
BAxtER
ive been 4490'd

Good mate of mine works at the Emergency response team in brisbane. He sent me a txt this morning saying he just came out of a meeting with his team leader stating that over the next 15-25days they should expect similar events to 74 floods here in Brisbane.
www.taipanmotorsport.com.au
BAxtER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUF270
Rain forecast here until next Monday... welcome back to QLD.
Old 22-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #16
351EL

Wasn't the wivenhoe dam built to stop flooding in Brisbane?
351EL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:27 PM   #17
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Dammit I was going to cut the grass this arvo. Got home from work and it starts raining. May not be leaving the property if the predictions are true. The creek is already flowing fairly hard a couple hours rain will have it cutting across the causeway and stranding us here.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:32 PM   #18
melon466
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here's a link to an awesome weather forecast site. This site is the most accurate i have used.

http://wxmaps.org/pix/aus.vv.html
melon466 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #19
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Yes everyone please be careful on the roads, especially those traveling to visit friends / family. Plan ahead and make sure you know whats going on. Cunninghams gap is a worry, anyone heading down south going the back way do yourself a favour and go thru Toowoomba. We have trucks runing up and down the cunningham and its still not fixed, 50 - 100 mm of rain will have it shut again.
Brent, do you know what the roads are currently like between Milmerran and Gundy?

I haven't been out there since all this rain....going out there xmas eve.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #20
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351EL
Wasn't the wivenhoe dam built to stop flooding in Brisbane?

Yes it was, that is why they open the gates long before 100% capacity (I think about 80%) to keep that reserve to prevent flooding. The problem is we have had pretty constant rain fall for the last few months and Wivenhoe is already at >80% capacity. On top of that there is concern that the wall may not be able to take the load of 100% capacity and wall failure would be catastrophic for the Brisbane area. So now they have the gates open which means that emergency storage capacity to prevent downstream flooding (like the 74 flood) is no longer usable. End result is at the moment it is like Wivenhoe does not exist. If we were looking at the predicted rain fall that we have now and Wivenhoe was only at 50% capacity it would be a different story for Brisbane.
Lets just hope the rain stays the current drizzle and does not achieve the predicted 50-100 mm/day like is predicted.
Old 22-12-2010, 05:13 PM   #21
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Just got a call from the old cheese, Newstead in Brisbane is flooded.

No pics yet but she said she just rescued her 4WD from a carpark near the river, it was halfway up the wheels and some cars were already flooded.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 08:13 PM   #22
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Yeah im a bit worried, my mum has an ETA of late Christmas eve hopeully she stays safe
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
- Tuned by LS Tuning and Performance
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 08:34 PM   #23
Marquis 351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Looks like it is going to be a wet one alright.

Just a heads up, the state gov has issued a warning to all departments that there is an expectation of receiving 50-100 mm of rain per day for the next 5 days and widespread flooding is possible. Wivenhoe flood gates have been opened as it is at capacity due to the recent rain so this will not take up much of the load and the already wet ground will not hold that sort of rain fall well. I just checked BOM and there are multiple flood alerts including the Brisbane River area.

It might pay for the banana benders here to get ready for a very wet and soggy xmas.
Who could have fore seen this 5 years ago when we where in the grip of the worst drought!
Marquis 351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 09:13 PM   #24
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis 351
Who could have fore seen this 5 years ago when we where in the grip of the worst drought!
Well, everyone who doesn't believe in global warming for one six billion.
Old 22-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #25
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marquis 351
Exactly, imagine if they were being told by BOM theres plenty rain coming, drop levels to say 60%, and then the rain stops? They'd be accused of throwing the water away.

Damned if they do, damned if they dont.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 10:05 PM   #26
GOLDIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember 1974 i lived on the gold coast than it is like that all over again.If that happens there is going to be some very unhappy people living in areas down there that went under water back then.
I live in stanthorpe we have had about 26 inchs so far since march so we are soaked and more on the way.

Ian
Old 22-12-2010, 10:33 PM   #27
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
Yes it was, that is why they open the gates long before 100% capacity (I think about 80%) to keep that reserve to prevent flooding. The problem is we have had pretty constant rain fall for the last few months and Wivenhoe is already at >80% capacity. On top of that there is concern that the wall may not be able to take the load of 100% capacity and wall failure would be catastrophic for the Brisbane area. So now they have the gates open which means that emergency storage capacity to prevent downstream flooding (like the 74 flood) is no longer usable. End result is at the moment it is like Wivenhoe does not exist. If we were looking at the predicted rain fall that we have now and Wivenhoe was only at 50% capacity it would be a different story for Brisbane.
Lets just hope the rain stays the current drizzle and does not achieve the predicted 50-100 mm/day like is predicted.
This is an interesting read: http://www.seqwater.com.au/public/ca...s/wivenhoe-dam

Wivenhoe should be fine, there were some concerns over cracks in Somerset given its an older dam.

Don't forget purpose of Wivenhoe was for flood mitigation water was second its pretty much one of Joh's legacies to Brisbane. It can pretty much double its size.

The main danger to Brisbane is the Bremer through Ipswich this is a river which has previously hit 25m high in flood and it undammed.

Worrying times ahead I think but I do have faith in Wivenhoe I just don't trust the Bremer. Best wishes to those in low lying areas hopefully things will work out okay.

I can't understand why they are not sending more water up to Toowoomba they're still only on 43%

Last edited by SirHenry; 22-12-2010 at 10:53 PM.
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-12-2010, 10:51 PM   #28
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DASH GT
Cunninghams gap is a worry, anyone heading down south going the back way do yourself a favour and go thru Toowoomba.
i was wondering about that. looks like a detour via Toowoomba.

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 12:18 AM   #29
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peuty
Brent, do you know what the roads are currently like between Milmerran and Gundy?

I haven't been out there since all this rain....going out there xmas eve.
Dan the Gore should be OK, unless the Wyaga Creek comes over...... Gundy is just not quite wet enough yet. (Subject to change at a moments notice).

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #30
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout
Dan the Gore should be OK, unless the Wyaga Creek comes over...... Gundy is just not quite wet enough yet. (Subject to change at a moments notice).
Good stuff...I'm keeping an eye on it, I just don't trust that bloody road when it gets wet like this.

Don;t suppose you could keep an ear out about it for me as well Simon?

Cheers,

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post