Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

View Poll Results: Do you support changing the Australian flag?
No 227 78.01%
Yes 64 21.99%
Voters: 291. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 25-01-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
US kills Falcon

Exclamation Should the Australian flag be changed?

Sorry, but no option for fence sitters.

Old 25-01-2010, 06:43 PM   #2
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Yes, get rid of that other nations flag taking up the top corner.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:12 PM   #3
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor

Get rid of the southern cross, just wanna annoy the hell outta the people with the tatto's on them.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:13 PM   #4
Brent
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Can't see anything wrong with the current one. Yep, its got the Union Jack in one corner, but last time I checked, that was part of our ancestry. We tell others to be proud of their history and ancestry, so shouldn't be any different for us.

Anyway, I could just imagine the process for designing and selecting a new flag. Good god, by the time we'd appeased all the special interest groups, we'd have flag in the colours of the rainbow with a picture of a gay dugong playing a digeridoo in the top left corner.......
Old 25-01-2010, 07:18 PM   #5
SSD-85
I ♥ EDM
Donating Member1

I voted no. Im proud to have the Union Jack in our flag. Whilst they were by no means the original settlers of this land, if there was a way to represent our fellow indigenous population in the existing flag design id happily accept that.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:21 PM   #6
vik351
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent
Can't see anything wrong with the current one. Yep, its got the Union Jack in one corner, but last time I checked, that was part of our ancestry. We tell others to be proud of their history and ancestry, so shouldn't be any different for us.

Anyway, I could just imagine the process for designing and selecting a new flag. Good god, by the time we'd appeased all the special interest groups, we'd have flag in the colours of the rainbow with a picture of a gay dugong playing a digeridoo in the top left corner.......

we'd have flag in the colours of the rainbow with a picture of a gay dugong playing a digeridoo in the top left corner.......

vik... Sad but true... :
Old 25-01-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

I think this kind of thread has been over done. I think every year about this time someone wants to change the flag. Well my answer still the same leave it how it is. Every other country recognizes it and we have went to war flying it.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:24 PM   #8
ltd
Force Fed Fords

If it aint broken don't try to fix it.
I love our flag, I love its proud history, and no inner suburbs yuppie poof with a 3 series and a proclivity for mens company at the tradesmans entance is going to tell me that it's "old, and boring". We should love our flag the same way the americans love theirs. Keep it, or get stuffed.

Quote:
Powered by GE
Old 25-01-2010, 07:25 PM   #9
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
I agree. Also lets become a republic already, even more excuse to get rid of it, if we do.

I say we remove the union jack and the southern cross plus the big star.... Wait, now we have just a blue piece of fabric.

Put a Kangaroo or something on it.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:32 PM   #10
ernysp76
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by XBROO
I think this kind of thread has been over done. I think every year about this time someone wants to change the flag. Well my answer still the same leave it how it is. Every other country recognizes it and we have went to war flying it.
No they don't and no we didn't most of the time we went to war under the Union Jack and most other countries don't know the difference between our flag and NZ. I think a big blue oval with Aussie Made!
Old 25-01-2010, 07:33 PM   #11
MAD
Petro-sexual

If we were to change the flag in this day and age, we'd end up with bloody iFlag 2.0.

Leave it as is. We've had it for this long.
Old 25-01-2010, 07:41 PM   #12
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernysp76
No they don't and no we didn't most of the time we went to war under the Union Jack and most other countries don't know the difference between our flag and NZ. I think a big blue oval with Aussie Made!
That's where your wrong mate the kiwi flag get confused with our not the other way round. Just ask a few cussi bros. Just take a look at an army uniform it looks like an aussie flag to me. Gees always get one in every crowd. :
Old 25-01-2010, 08:08 PM   #13
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Change the thing. It represents our colonial past and is a constant reminder of links to the British Empire. And lets not kid ourselves it isnt a great past, the British treated our nation with utter disdain.

We need to get our own flag, saying that we've had the flag for ages or we fought under it is not much of an arguement. The diggers fought for the Australian nation, not for a flag or the Union Jack. The flag means nothing to new Australians, how many people still have genuine links to old blighty, not many. Canada a consitutional monarchy like ours changed their flag after WW2 and the world did not end, and I think it really advanced their national standing. How can we expect nations to take us seriously if we still have the union jack on it.

As for new designs well personally I quite like the NT flag. Id gladly wave that flag on Australia day, and it even has a Southern Cross, for our well inked friends.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 25-01-2010, 08:19 PM   #14
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

http://www.ausflag.com.au/flag_concepts.asp

I quite like it.
Old 25-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #15
[TOPGHIA]

Quote:
Originally Posted by ernysp76
i can tell you mate im in the Army and ever person in the Army has the Australian flag on the arm of our uniforms and the Army have all ways served under the Australia flag not the Union Jack.

Blaze 05 BA MKII Fairmont Ghia I6
Old 25-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #16
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent

I have to agree Brent, with all the crazy issues going on right now we'd likely end up with something like this.

Old 25-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #17
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

XCPWSF I like your spirit but Id run mate, those flags were designed by Harold Scruby.

Yes that Harold Scruby.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Old 25-01-2010, 08:25 PM   #18
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
I have to agree Brent, with all the crazy issues going on right now we'd likely end up with something like this.

Ha ha ha.
That's brilliant.

Quote: